• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

The SimFeedback-AC DIY Motion Simulator thread

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by sjb266, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Pyronious

Pyronious

Ratings:
    +175
  2. HoiHman

HoiHman
    Premium

Ratings:
    +780
    Lego with motion :D

• Haha Haha x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  3. Flag Ghost

Flag Ghost
    Premium

Ratings:
    +88
    The Lego M22 XL obviously had a stiffer suspension. This SFX profile is a travesty.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Tarheel Dan

Tarheel Dan

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to begin my project. Have all the major linear motion parts. Servos are on order. Will assemble my PRUSA this weekend.

I currently have my rig on a concrete floor. I would like to fix my motion rig in place somehow, so it can't walk across the room. I'm thinking of some kind of round metal cup, anchored in the concrete.

Has anyone implemented anything of this sort?

5. RowanH

RowanH
    Premium

Ratings:
    +168
    For concrete Sorbathane feet are really quite good at keeping the rig 99% in place...

• Beer Beer x 1
  6. Pyronious

Pyronious

Ratings:
    +175
    Works great on hardwood floors too. I'm using these ones and my rig hasn't walked at all since installing them. The Sorbothane material has natural tackiness that causes them to stick to the floor instead of slide. It's not adhesive, but you do have to kind of peel it off the floor if you want to move it. Highly recommended.

Don't bother with the inferior rubber feet. Look for "Sorbothane" specifically. It's a unique material specifically designed to isolate vibrations.

• Beer Beer x 1
  7. C64

C64

Ratings:
    +137
    My rig is on a concrete floor, I use a board with 4 printed cups attached to it, the sfx100 feet sit in those cups. It does not move but it still allows me to drag the rig ( and board ) on the floor.

8. Shrive81

Shrive81
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4
    Hey guys I am new here on this thread but just ordered all the parts and also getting my parts finished up on the 3D printer. Was wondering what are you guys using for a nice enclosure for the control units for the motors? or has anyone made a 3d print file for a holder etc. just trying to get all my ducks in a row. Thanks

9. Pyronious

Pyronious

Ratings:
    +175
    These 6U racks seem to be a popular choice. Personally, I used this 9U rack. It has enough room for my 4 servo drivers, 120->220 transformer, transducer amp and power strip. I also added wheels so it can roll around for easy access.

[​IMG]

Here is how they are mounted:

[​IMG]

I should note, however, that I had to buy an extra set of rails and cut them down to size to mount the servo connectors from the back. If you buy a rack like this, I would recommend finding one with both front and back rails.

• Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  10. Shrive81

Shrive81
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4
    awesome thanks will look them up now... Also just made a decent donation as well and appreciate all the help... Im sure I will have a lot more questions...

11. Shrive81

Shrive81
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4
    what 102/220 transformer are you running debating to run 220 to the sim room or just run a converter

12. sn4il

sn4il

Ratings:
    +40
    This is exactly what I'm facing right now. I do have a 240Vac line in my apartment but its occupied by AC unit.
    This line is rated 15 or 20A and my AC draws around 12-13A. There is no way I could run SFX and AC at the same time. I have to buy new AC unit for 110V to have dedicated 240Vac for SFX or I have to buy step up converter.

Pyronious, what gauge are black and white power wires? 14 AWG? they look thin on the photos.

13. sn4il

sn4il

Ratings:
    +40
    Great. Can you point me into right direction. I would like to donate as well since I'm getting close to finish with my build. I'm hearing a lot about discord channels etc. Where can I find more info about it?
    Thnx

14. HoiHman

HoiHman
    Premium

Ratings:
    +780
    You can donate through simfeedback after you have it installed

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pyronious

Pyronious

Ratings:
    +175
    I’m using this 3000 watt transformer and it works great! Never even tripped a breaker.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Shrive81

Shrive81
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4
    printing my first part tonight.. its is a 14 hour print for the fixed bearing mount...….. Once I confirm these prints are working if anyone needs prints done let me know I might be able to help out at a cheaper cost then what I got quoted hahahaha ( it was laughable lets just say that )

17. Vincent Dimaio

Vincent Dimaio

Ratings:
    +0
    hi all

how many wall line count do you use in cura software?

18. Pyronious

Pyronious

Ratings:
    +175
    The documentation states at least 8.

19. Pyronious

Pyronious

Ratings:
    +175
    18AWG wire rated for 300V. At this length it should be fine for up to 5 amps. Since each servo only draws a max of 750 watts at 220v the current would top out at about 3.5 amps. Real world testing shows I’m only drawing about half that.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Shrive81

Shrive81
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4
    Well first 3d print was not a success the answer 5 printer made a big blob at about 9 hours into the print. Does anyone have travel speed settings for the print as I was getting a lot of stringing in the print. And I also have no idea why the thing stopped at 9 hours in...

How long was it taking for your guys prints in the bearing support

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.