The SimFeedback-AC DIY Motion Simulator thread

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by sjb266, Sep 17, 2018.

1. sjb266

sjb266

Ratings:
    +238
    Hey guys. Thought I’d create a thread for those taking the plunge into this brilliant DIY project..
    I will be starting mine soon and I know there are others thinking about it.. so feel free to share your knowledge and experiences so we can all enjoy this platform to its full potential. A huge thanks to the developers who have really knocked this one out of the park!
    https://github.com/SimFeedback/SimFeedback-AC-Servo/wiki

I will keep this page updated with links to source the parts in other parts of the world. Just post whatever links you have and i'll add them here.

Australia:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    • Beer Beer x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Insert Coin

Insert Coin

Ratings:
    +151
    I had a quick glance at the shopping list - DIY price is about 1500 - 2000 euro (actuators only), am I correct?

3. 76t

76t

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks Good ill follow this project. I currently have 3 Linear actuators and with AKM32 servos on them and drive to suit im about to Start building them. I was just about to work out the Position Feedback so this project may be able to help me with that part.

4. Moxley6969

Moxley6969

Ratings:
    +221

Can be cheaper pending your suppliers.

5. HoiHman

HoiHman
    Premium

Ratings:
    +333
    Not that much, i think. It's also very dependant on your location (shipping) and off course the import taxes of your country.

I ordered the servos on sunday and the rest of the shopping list today.

Sure there might be cheaper suppliers, but i just did not want to take the risk of receiving a part that's slightly different and run into problems later on.

I even ordered an orginal arduino leonardo at 22 euro....... Just in case.:D

A couple of things:

-Join amazon prime, even if it's just for one month, to get free shipping on almost everything.
    -Don't get fooled by the ending discounted prices of the servos on ali express, they have a new sale every day / week
    - It seems like with every seller you pay per servo for shipping, negotiations have little to no use.
    If you buy 4 servos, you almost pay 4 times the shipping cost.

So all things are set in "motion" and in the meanwhile the MK3 is doing it's thing.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Moxley6969

Moxley6969

Ratings:
    +221
    I deal with many Ali Express/baba sellers whom do volume discount and 98% of the time offer better shipping rates than what is listed in the shopping cart. I practically never pay the listed shipping price unless its small $$ stuff, Any sizable $$ they will work with you.

I Highly suggest asking for future orders, as it sure cant hurt.

PS where did you get your 100x100 from ?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  7. sjb266

sjb266

Ratings:
    +238
    Sounds like he got it from Germany...

8. HoiHman

HoiHman
    Premium

Ratings:
    +333
    I got everything from the links on the shopping list NIck, but i'm just a stone throw away from Germany

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moxley6969

Moxley6969

Ratings:
    +221
    Ah ok, makes sense. The $$ just doesn't work for me ordering from Germany, so have to find a solution.

If push comes to shove, I will re draw the Slider to match the extrusion i can get, But the Exact shape still has me curious as The very small difference i see has me slightly concerned.

Attached Files:

10. HoiHman

HoiHman
    Premium

Ratings:
    +333
    A redesign of the slider would be the fastest and easiest option. Especially for you mate, since you too know your way around in the 3d printing area.

Are you gonna use PTEG instead of PLA, like me?

Nick, can you please take a look at this with your expert DIY eye?

In my opinion both bearings are identical. Or am i missing something?

[​IMG]

Left one in stock ordered and arriving this week, right one out stock but on the shopping list and delivery up to 56 days.

11. sjb266

sjb266

Ratings:
    +238
    Yeah i got a quote from Germany for shipping the extrusion.. 116 euro to Australia .. ouch!

a few other links.. i think they are the same thing..

Not saying these are what should be used.. but there are alternatives..

https://www.banggood.com/250mm-Ball...llnut-for-CNC-p-1001627.html?cur_warehouse=CN

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.239.78324070enBKF1

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FK1...llscrew-support-CNC-XYZ-1pcs/32767246466.html

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...pm=a2700.7724857.normalList.18.68e11cf6aXrkjT

12. Moxley6969

Moxley6969

Ratings:
    +221

Ya thats true, Im no stranger to Fusion or file editing, I wonder if Michael will just share a Fusion file that would only require super minimal tweaking to match my Extrusion. its Such a Small Fraction, but its something i seen, so need to know the answer.

Ya ill use PETG Over PLA for sure, $$ wise its no different but strength in general is much higher on petg...PETG can have some Flex where PLA is more rigid, But doesn't really apply here for flex.

All the parts in this Unit are under Compression stress which Printed parts will handle no problem 20% infill is more than ample,...not sure i see the point of the "Include Solid Diaphragm Every 20 layers" A single "half solid /thin layer" wont really add any internal strength imo.

Bearing look fine, Im going with a generic AliExpress unit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pc...pm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.265.7d353c00mO6cBl

13. sjb266

sjb266

Ratings:
    +238
    I see from from the other site you've made significant progress on the actuator build.. how's it all looking so far?

14. HoiHman

HoiHman
    Premium

Ratings:
    +333
    I'm current waiting for the servos to arrive. Looks like a real solid build.

I have semi assembled 1 acculator so far:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Beer Beer x 1
  15. anton_Chez

anton_Chez

Ratings:
    +252
    Hey dudes I'm keeping an eye on this thread as I am starting to get interested in this project. @sjb266 Simon, I'm a fellow Aussie as you already know so if I can help you with ordering stuff in bulk for better prices, I'd be open to that. Just need to know what you're expecting to pay for the completed project of 4 actuators so I can work out if it's going to be worth moving on from the V3 I currently run.

I noted in another thread, but I'll put it out here too. I can do DIY stuff but for this I really can't be bothered working it all out. If you wanted to build these things for me, we can get all the hardware sent to the one address, have them all built, organise the shipping of my units to me, and I can pay you to have done so. Again, would like to know if you're interested in this scenario and what you would be willing to accept to assemble them into a working state for me.

I don't have 3D printing hardware / experience so that's another thing I'd need to outsource. From others approximate pricing (in euro's, but still something to go off) it seems that the entire project would be worth it, even for us Aussies with shipping and even having someone build for me. I can offload the V3 pretty easily I'd say and for a couple thousand surplus I'd be into a 4 actuator full chassis mover. Not too bad I'd say.

16. sjb266

sjb266

Ratings:
    +238
    Hey Anton..

Yeah we can probably work something out for sure. Im still in the process of sourcing components locally vs OS.. most of the leg work is done.

I have been advised by a prominent sim hardware retailer and beta tester that the performance of this setup is spectacular and absolutely comparable to dbox.

Fast, powerful, and tough.. he said it’s the best sim DIY project since OSW.

I’ll keep you informed as my stuff arrives and we can work something out if you wish..

• Love Love x 1
  17. anton_Chez

anton_Chez

Ratings:
    +252
    Wow, that's some good feedback for sure. I am really looking forward to what you come up with regarding the sourcing of parts and materials. I sort of brushed off your suggestion of getting on board with it as I'd been convinced I was done for the time being with building. Wanting to actually spend some quality time actually racing, which I am finally doing lots and lots of. But I read a little more into it and some enthusiasm from other members here has really got me excited to jump into it.

Hoping for some updates in the near future and it you're comfortable and confident in building your own units, I'd be happy to get you to do mine too. If that's something you're into. Again pricing of everything is going to be a determining factor as I already have a decent set up as is. But with owning a D-Box being something I'd like vs the cost of entry, this seems to be a no brainer to me as a very viable alternative. Especially considering the new Next Level platform that's about to launch, I'd much rather go this route than pull the trigger on that early and regret not persuing this instead.

Keep us posted.

18. sjb266

sjb266

Ratings:
    +238
    Yeah cool. From what I’ve seen it looks a bit faster than the dbox and something I will be able to diagnose and repair myself if something goes wrong...which is a HUGE benefit.

The best way to do it is probably for me to get mine up and running then you can decide if you trust me or not!!! For me this is the ultimate DIY project!

I will certainly keep you posted.

Cheers.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    • Love Love x 1
  19. sdubbin

sdubbin
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8
    This is a great post, something I’ve been reading up on for the past few nights, I have a v3 but this is the ultimate, I’m in uk so looking to source parts some are out of stock , look forward to future posts

20. HoiHman

HoiHman
    Premium

Ratings:
    +333
    [​IMG]

Like the germans say: Jede menge Power :cool:

• Like Like x 4
    • Beer Beer x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.