The Elephant in the room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
I want to share a concern that I have about AMS2. It does not seem to be discussed, but when comparing how many player actually play the game, I am very worried this game will get any traction ever. It is no just less than other SIM, it is very very little, particularly as it is new.

I would love to hear what Reiza think of the abysmally small amount of user.

Screenshot (7).jpg

How many use a game does not reflect on how good it is, AMS2 is good, but not having user, hence no money coming in has to be some how worry some for Reiza and by consequence to existing user.

By all the coverage here in RD and all the superlative in this thread, you could be tempted to think that this is the next big thing for SIM racer. Not so much, why is their not more players?

Devs just reiterate the driving physics again and again and again until they think it feels good, while many of the cars still exhibit weird behavior, especially in slow corners.

I found this while reading in the latest beta build.

Renato Simioni said:
Any tire model is a set of equations simulating very complex dynamics - they all have their own simplifications, compromises and interpretations of these dynamics. Unlike suspension, engine or even aero models, there´s very little "plugging real data" for tire models as most of the parameters are not even measurable, and when they are the data is limited at best - and even the data that we have measures for offer a range of very plausible variations that can lead to very different results. It inevitably requires craftmanship, and that was much more the case in the heavily parametrized Pacejka model of AMS1 than the physical STM in AMS2.

There´s nothing fundamentally wrong with the slow damping function we introduced in this build, which basically is a a different damping rate for when cars are going slower which then blends into the "normal" damping rate of the tire - it´s actually reasonable for tire damping rates to vary with load (and not fixed as they were in AMS1) . The parameter was always there, we just weren´t using it until we realised it was useful
:)

Naturally when an extra variable is added to an equation it will affect the output - I figured we had plugged conservative enough values not to impact handling but turns out that was not quite the case, so I´ve now reverted / reduced it for cars that didn´t really need it for now.

While I understand where it comes from, this tendency to condemn the Madness physics engine as "flawed" for issues that most of the time still come down to us not understanding it fully or not using it properly is really misguided - no tire model in a commercial sim game is perfect, but even though we´re still on a learning curve with it I wouldn´t change it for anything else
:)

Fully respect your opinion and agree for the most regarding to it feeling like a mod and things are changing.

In fairness tons of things are still missing that the madness engine can offer and I knew going into it that things were gonna take a while to sort out and implement as they have said themselves many times.

Luckily for us, there are a ton of other racing games available to keep us busy while this continues to develop.

Last edited:
It's always the same before an update, just race something else till it drops and all players are back on the same version. The player base has moved to beta for testing.

Next weekend will be better

Sorry, but that argument has been repeated several times in this forum and the increase in numbers rarely lasts for more than a few days. Look at the online stats for proof.

Now must say AMS2 after last updates is my main to go sim. Have to play SP but this no problem. ACC mp is now position 2nd. Vere good work Reiza:)

Been saying that its shot up the charts here on the home front.

Between using default, and putting all ffb settings on 0 apart from gain, setups make more sense and tracks like imola 1988 you can't get other places...

I put it right up there with rf2, raceroom and acc. which is saying a lot because despite having the british pack in ACC I just can't get into it. (I'm tryin`!!)

I will say that some cars feel more fleshed out than others, but those cars that are sweet-as, they could belong in any top tier game and feel really good. And bonus in that there's less naff cars now.

__

I always found this an interesting thread 1 for its existence and 2 for its candor, but it should be the case more people play this, because the crux is there right now - its just maybe got no glue [ remaining ] until this last patch or two.

I am more than willing to race races in it, and it may only be single player but its not like 9/10 games have stellar-everything in this genre; definite progress of a material and impactful nature.

Last edited:
Gotta say, this (MP, unpopulated or lack of open public servers) and lack of modding are the only things preventing me and some friends to go all in into AMS2.

And I say this from an outsider perspective, as well as someone who does not have any interest whatsoever on the Brazilian content.
The rest of the included content seems already very interesting and varied, and AMS2 does look very good overall (MP aside).
Hopefully the MP aspect gets better soon and, who knows, maybe modding-possibilities appear.

Last edited:
Wanted to give AMS2 another try after all the latest patches.

While calibrating the wheel suddenly a pretty strong force was applied for no reason. No problem, i guess one has to expect stuff like that to happen with amateurish products like AMS2.

There also is a constant force on the wheel while in the menu, even after disabling the (unnecessary) wheel spring setting. But at least i then get no ffb at all while on track. Great quality product.

Really, it's no wonder not many people play this "sim", i wish i could still refund it.

Last edited:

While calibrating the wheel suddenly a pretty strong force was applied for no reason. No problem, i guess one has to expect stuff like that to happen with amateurish products like AMS2.

There also is a constant force on the wheel while in the menu, even after disabling the (unnecessary) wheel spring setting. But at least i then get no ffb at all while on track. Great quality product.

Really, it's no wonder not many people play this "sim", i wish i could still refund it.

Never heard of this, you should post it on the Reiza Forums for assistance.

On the other hand, you seem pretty badly predisposed (understandable given your issue and inability to drive it) but try and keep an open mind. This sim is on its way to being fantastic. Good luck!

• Deleted member 963434

try deleting AMS2 folder from your my documents folder, and set all again (graphics settings, controls, sound etc like you play AMS2 for first time)
by "try after all the latest patches" i suppose you not played it for months? there was a big update 2-3 months ago and they told in update description you must delete this folder and start from beginning.

• Deleted member 963434

Na, since i don't enjoy simracing as much as i thought i decided to sell my gear anyway.

The missing g-forces and seat-of-pants feel really makes it too artificial for me, even with a simucube 2 and vr it just does not feel "right" (for me) :)
buddy i have it too i tell current ffb technology has it wrong - they similate g - forces on wheels instead of simulating steering rack (how to recenter wheel, how its affected by side forces)
but i still sit in it cause it can teach you much, abous understeer, oversteer how to react to it etc, how to drift. everybody say its harder to drift in sim but once you learn it you be champ in real life (maybe not champ xD) but i say it can teach you a lot, and when racin wheel to wheel gt3 cars yo not have it from real life xD and im planning to transfer my sim experience to real life soon this summer i want to buy racing car, not much say 120-150 HP car and race it ith amateurs just to feel it for real xD

Gotta say, this (MP, unpopulated or lack of open public servers) and lack of modding are the only things preventing me and some friends to go all in into AMS2.

And I say this from an outsider perspective, as well as someone who does not have any interest whatsoever on the Brazilian content.
The rest of the included content seems already very interesting and varied, and AMS2 does look very good overall (MP aside).
Hopefully the MP aspect gets better soon and, who knows, maybe modding-possibilities appear.

Modding is already present.... same site as PC2 mods.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back