Resource icon

Misc Telemetry Tool For F1 2021 11.4

Login or Register an account to download this content
What a great tool! But i was wondering the same @cooper temper , what if i want that my engineer in another country wants to use the tool?

Do i have to portforward specific ports?
What is the right setup?
Also for @cooper temper

These type of games use UDP for transferring the data. With UDP, the packets can arrive in any order and some or all of them might also be routed differently. So it is more like send-and-forget model. This can cause issues, if network is unreliable or slow. I have tried to mitigate this with my tool to check the incoming data and discarding old data. But if there is lot of "bad data", then the tool might behave oddly.

The primary way to tackle the network issue would be to test, if you lower data send frequency
With F1 games, you can set the frequency to 20hz. This drops the network traffic to 1/3 from 60hz and might help on some slower networks.
With ACC, you can increase in the acc relay settings the sleep from 3 to e.g. 10 to reduce how often the packets are sent.
In PC2/AMS2 you can also change the frequency of the UDP packets, as it will reduce the network traffic also for the forward.

The ports you can see in the Settings --> Network Settings on per game basis. By default Codemasters games 20777, PC2/AMS2 5606 and AC/ACC use 9000 (if I remember correctly).

Also you might benchmark the performance of the connectivity, as I am sure there are such tools available.

Cheers

Also for @cooper temper

These type of games use UDP for transferring the data. With UDP, the packets can arrive in any order and some or all of them might also be routed differently. So it is more like send-and-forget model. This can cause issues, if network is unreliable or slow. I have tried to mitigate this with my tool to check the incoming data and discarding old data. But if there is lot of "bad data", then the tool might behave oddly.

The primary way to tackle the network issue would be to test, if you lower data send frequency
With F1 games, you can set the frequency to 20hz. This drops the network traffic to 1/3 from 60hz and might help on some slower networks.
With ACC, you can increase in the acc relay settings the sleep from 3 to e.g. 10 to reduce how often the packets are sent.
In PC2/AMS2 you can also change the frequency of the UDP packets, as it will reduce the network traffic also for the forward.

The ports you can see in the Settings --> Network Settings on per game basis. By default Codemasters games 20777, PC2/AMS2 5606 and AC/ACC use 9000 (if I remember correctly).

Also you might benchmark the performance of the connectivity, as I am sure there are such tools available.

Cheers

Thank for the detailed explanation, but i'm afraid i'm doing something wrong?

(I'm using example IP's)
I've set telemetry in F1 to 192.168.0.50 port 20777

In the tool i've enabled UDP Redirect 1 and set the IP to the external IP of my engineer 10.10.10.10 port 9999
I also set a port forward on my router of 192.168.0.50 port 9999.

But the external engineer can't see any data?
Nothing blocked on his firewall.

Am i forgetting something or doing wrong?

Thanks for the help in advance

Last edited:
Iko Rein updated Telemetry Tool For F1 2021 with a new update entry:

Telemetry Tool for F1 2021

Hello,

New version of my telemetry and race strategy tool is here. This is mainly a bug/stability/performance fix with few interesting additions.

What is new in version 11.1?

UDP Redirect
  • Fixed a very nasty random but, which prevented the UDP redirect to work propertly. This fix also improves the performance of the F1 2020 format redirect (ie. the TM SF1000 rim feed).
  • With the UDP Redirect F1 2020 format, the rev lights will blink, if the pit limiter is on.
  • Plenty...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Thank for the detailed explanation, but i'm afraid i'm doing something wrong?

(I'm using example IP's)
I've set telemetry in F1 to 192.168.0.50 port 20777

In the tool i've enabled UDP Redirect 1 and set the IP to the external IP of my engineer 10.10.10.10 port 9999
I also set a port forward on my router of 192.168.0.50 port 9999.

But the external engineer can't see any data?
Nothing blocked on his firewall.

Am i forgetting something or doing wrong?

Thanks for the help in advance
Second, there were some issue on the UDP Redirect introduced with 11.0, which I have fixed in 11.1. So take the new version first to see, if that fixes the issues.

If not, do you receive data to the local Telemetry Tool from the game ? That is the first step, there is the feed tester for testing that. Check the help file for networking section.

Also looking at your data, your engineer needs to have his/her Telemetry Tool to listen port 9999 for F1 2021 data and he/she has to do the port forward in the router. You don't need to do anything.

Cheers.

Just found the tool today - have it working but I'm either missing something or it doesn't have the feature I need/want - is it possible to import/export data so you can compare your laps with friends/others? Sure it's helpful to compare against my own laps but being able to compare with friends is super helpful when training (I'm a driving coach professionally) and some of my students are enjoying F1 2021.

Also is it possible to export the data into a CSV or other format so I could import it into Motec I2 which is what I usually use. Thanks for any help you can provide.

~X

Just found the tool today - have it working but I'm either missing something or it doesn't have the feature I need/want - is it possible to import/export data so you can compare your laps with friends/others? Sure it's helpful to compare against my own laps but being able to compare with friends is super helpful when training (I'm a driving coach professionally) and some of my students are enjoying F1 2021.

Also is it possible to export the data into a CSV or other format so I could import it into Motec I2 which is what I usually use. Thanks for any help you can provide.

~X
Hi,

The tool saves data per lap to the lapdata directory. You can share the files from the lapdata directory with your friends/customers/students. The files are in text format in a kind of .csv format. The tool does not have direct sharing option, but you can .zip the files and send them to your friends/students and they can use the Telemetry Tool to view the data.

Cool thing with my tool is that your students can set your sample laps as 'BLUE lap' and then in real-time compare their driving to your traces. Makes the learning loop immediate. This means that instead of looking at the traces off-line and then trying to remember, what one needs to do on track, they get immediate feedback as they drive.

The tool can also save opponent laps/ghosts, so if you do TT, it will save the ghost data, which can be used as 'BLUE lap'. This is the easiest way to get the fastest drivers TT traces. Also if you enable the opponent lap saving, it will save all laps from your opponents (AI or human), so you can e.g. drive against 110-AI and then look at the traces to compare/see, what you need to do to win 110 level AI or if you do online race, you can see, where you lost time to the Aliens/faster drivers and also use these faster opponent laps as 'BLUE lap' for real-time telemetry.

For exporting data to Motec, that will not be possible from the tool. Motec file format is proprietary data format, and writing in that format requires annual license, which costs few 1000s p.a. And i2 end user license prohibits using it with data from non-licensed tool. But my tool can show you the same traces + there are math channels for extra 'math-magical traces'.

Cheers

Last edited:
For exporting data to Motec, that will not be possible from the tool. Motec file format is proprietary data format, and writing in that format requires annual license, which costs few 1000s p.a. And i2 end user license prohibits using it with data from non-licensed tool. But my tool can show you the same traces + there are math channels for extra 'math-magical traces'.
Thanks for the quick reply - I'll keep playing with the tool but I did want to address this as I believe it to be completely incorrect as there are freely available tools for other sims, like rFactor 2 that export to Motec absolutely free - and the standard non-pro version of Motec i2 is also absolutely free. So either the other tools I'm using are completely illegal or someone has given you incorrect information. I suppose it doesn't matter either way as my assumption is you wouldn't be adding something like that anyway.

Again thanks for the quick reply, I'll continue to play around with it but as i2 is what my group uses and the serious ones of us only race in rFactor 2 given it's so far and beyond all other sims in terms of FFB and car physics that we'll just play F1 2021 "for fun", mainly because it's so pretty in full RTX.

~X

Thanks for the quick reply - I'll keep playing with the tool but I did want to address this as I believe it to be completely incorrect as there are freely available tools for other sims, like rFactor 2 that export to Motec absolutely free - and the standard non-pro version of Motec i2 is also absolutely free. So either the other tools I'm using are completely illegal or someone has given you incorrect information. I suppose it doesn't matter either way as my assumption is you wouldn't be adding something like that anyway.

Again thanks for the quick reply, I'll continue to play around with it but as i2 is what my group uses and the serious ones of us only race in rFactor 2 given it's so far and beyond all other sims in terms of FFB and car physics that we'll just play F1 2021 "for fun", mainly because it's so pretty in full RTX.

~X
On the i2 and MoTeC licensing.

Yes i2 is free to download, but it is not 'free software', which you can use freely. This is what i2 EULA says, and you have to accept the EULA when you install i2 (std or pro):
========================
... i2 pro
LICENSE

MoTeC hereby gives you a non-exclusive license to use the software i2 Pro in conjunction with data generated by any MoTeC logging device, or that generated by MoTeC licensed 3rd party software. i2 Pro may not be used in conjunction with data generated either directly or indirectly by non MoTeC products unless that product has been licensed by MoTeC.

... i2 std
LICENSE
MoTeC hereby gives you a non-exclusive license to use the software i2 Standard in conjunction with data generated by any MoTeC logging device, or that generated by MoTeC licensed 3rd party software. i2 Standard may not be used in conjunction with data generated either directly or indirectly by non MoTeC products unless that product has been licensed by MoTeC.
========================
So if someone without proper license from MoTeC creates a tool, which creates MoTeC readable files, which can be read by i2 (pro or standard), then any user using data from such tool is in violation of the i2 license. Plain and simple. With ACC there is no issue, as most likely the game devs got the license alongside their SRO license. I don't know, what is the licensing deal with the rFactor 2 plugin.

And MoTeC sells the licenses to allow you to use their file format, i.e. make your tool to write data in that format: https://www.motec.com.au/i2/i2licences/ .A 1 year license from old price list was 2285 AUD/year.

I know the simracing mod scene is bit wild west in terms of IP and licensing, as you can see other peoples' IP (tracks/cars models) are ported to other games without hesitation. But that doesn't mean, people are safe/free to infringe licenses and IP.

And still even if there is a proper license, the i2 is 'after-the-fact' analysis tool. There is no real-time telemetry component (like real-life T2 and the MoTeC Race Management would have).

The good simracing telemetry tools have real-time component, which in my opinion is critical for any sim racer, even the aliens. For setup work the after-the-fact tools are good, but it won't help the driver a) while driving and b) help e.g. in race strategy during the race, like my tool does.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hello, I want to use SimHub and this app, both at the same time. But if I open SimHub, the telemetry is not working anymore for this app. (It's seems like SimHub has preference on catching the telemetry data?)
Is there any suggestion for having both apps running at the same time or it's impossible?

Last edited:
Hello, I want to use SimHub and this app, both at the same time. But if I open SimHub, the telemetry is not working anymore for this app. (It's seems like SimHub has preference on catching the telemetry data?)
Is there any suggestion for having both apps running at the same time or it's impossible?
Yep, and if you start the Telemetry Tool first, then SimHub won't work. ;)

But the solution to this is that you have to use the UDP forward.

Two ways:
1) If you can change Simhub UDP port, then you could change it to e.g. 20776. Then in Telemetry Tool you setup the UDP Forward ('Settings' --> 'Network Settings'), either UDP_1 or UDP_2 and set the ip to 127.0.0.1 (as you most likely run simhub on the same computer) and port to 20776. Now the Telemetry Tool will receive data from the game and will send the data to Simhub (UDP data flow: game --> the Telemetry Tool --> Simhub).

2) If you cannot change Simhub UDP port, then you first change in game's Telemetry Settings the port to e.g. 20776. Then in the Telemetry Tool you set the listening port to 20776. (Now you might check, that you get data to the Telemetry Tool with this setting.). Then do the UDP forward, but in this setting you set the port to 20777, i.e. the one Simhub is listening. Again if done correctly, the Telemetry tool will receive the data and then will send it to SimHub. (UDP data flow: game --> the Telemetry Tool --> Simhub).

If simhub has UDP forward, check their help for that, how you could do it the other way (i.e. UDP data flow: game --> Simhub --> the Telemetry Tool). Also if Simhub support broadcasting, you could try use it. It seems though, that with at least XBox the broadcasting is not working correctly.

Cheers.

Yep, and if you start the Telemetry Tool first, then SimHub won't work. ;)

But the solution to this is that you have to use the UDP forward.

Two ways:
1) If you can change Simhub UDP port, then you could change it to e.g. 20776. Then in Telemetry Tool you setup the UDP Forward ('Settings' --> 'Network Settings'), either UDP_1 or UDP_2 and set the ip to 127.0.0.1 (as you most likely run simhub on the same computer) and port to 20776. Now the Telemetry Tool will receive data from the game and will send the data to Simhub (UDP data flow: game --> the Telemetry Tool --> Simhub).

2) If you cannot change Simhub UDP port, then you first change in game's Telemetry Settings the port to e.g. 20776. Then in the Telemetry Tool you set the listening port to 20776. (Now you might check, that you get data to the Telemetry Tool with this setting.). Then do the UDP forward, but in this setting you set the port to 20777, i.e. the one Simhub is listening. Again if done correctly, the Telemetry tool will receive the data and then will send it to SimHub. (UDP data flow: game --> the Telemetry Tool --> Simhub).

If simhub has UDP forward, check their help for that, how you could do it the other way (i.e. UDP data flow: game --> Simhub --> the Telemetry Tool). Also if Simhub support broadcasting, you could try use it. It seems though, that with at least XBox the broadcasting is not working correctly.

Cheers.
I'll try both ways later, thank you so much :D

Thanks for the great tool Iko. I've only just started diving into it with the last update but it's amazing how much data the game puts out that it doesn't use. I want to see if there really is any difference in running race setups vs TT setups with regards to tire wear, speeds and such in a 50% league race. Maybe build an excellent balanced setup too. Any suggestions for what data to look at in the tool to reach these goals?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the great tool Iko. I've only just started diving into it with the last update but it's amazing how much data the game puts out that it doesn't use. I want to see if there really is any difference in running race setups vs TT setups with regards to tire wear, speeds and such in a 50% league race. Maybe build an excellent balanced setup too. Any suggestions for what data to look at in the tool to reach these goals?

Thanks again!
Well, the better tire wear granularity (from integer to floats) was introduced in F1 2021 and I haven't yet gotten into building some things around that, as earlier it was only AMS2/PC2, which gave out that detailed tire wear values.

But here is what you can do now.
1) Statistics table. It shows data on per lap basis. There are columns for the tire wear (one per corner). So you could turn off other columns, than 'Tyre Wear' to easily see the tire wear data.
2) The lapdata files include the tire wear data, so you could do per sector based/more detailed analysis from the data in that file. (And now I am thinking a loud, maybe I could add to statistics table tire wear per sector, might be handy, when looking at the impact of the setup to tire wear)

Cheers

PS. I added as todo list adding tire wear traces + find a way to show the tire wear in the comparison window.

Thanks for the great tool Iko. I've only just started diving into it with the last update but it's amazing how much data the game puts out that it doesn't use. ...
Just responding to this separately.

The game outputs some data, but I do plenty of statistics + math on the back-end to provide the data you see in the tool. Codemasters could do/provide the same, but their focus is clearly on different things, like the story mode in F1 2021.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Just responding to this separately.

The game outputs some data, but I do plenty of statistics + math on the back-end to provide the data you see in the tool. Codemasters could do/provide the same, but their focus is clearly on different things, like the story mode in F1 2021.

Cheers.
Your work is much appreciated :)

Thanks for your suggestions above also.

Hi Iko! I really congratulate you on the amazing tool you have created, it's a gem absolutely, all the sim racing community should be grateful for your work! Are you planning by chance to make a tablet version of the tool? it might be an interesting addition. Just last question: what data should I analyse for checking ride height on track? Thank you very much again!

Hello !
Thanks a lot for this tool ! It's amazing !

Just a remark: in Raw Data, when I choose another driver in the tab, I don't have his data. It stays on me. Maybe I missed something? (I'm on PS4, run tool with Windows)

Thank you again !

Last edited:
Hey man!
Yesterday I was able to put the revlights and dash on my sf1000 wheel working with your software for acc, but today, it is always crashing acc (ue4 crashing error). Do you know how to fix it? Thanks!

Hi Iko! I really congratulate you on the amazing tool you have created, it's a gem absolutely, all the sim racing community should be grateful for your work! Are you planning by chance to make a tablet version of the tool? it might be an interesting addition. Just last question: what data should I analyse for checking ride height on track? Thank you very much again!
If I would not be busy with work, I might do a tablet version, but as I am getting busier and busier, I have shelved the tablet version idea.

There are also many great dash apps for displaying the basic data, and I don't see the need for me to 'step on their toes'. And on the other hand my tool stores plenty of data and does a lot of things on the background, which I am not sure tablets could do well.

But there is the http-server included in the Tool. That could be used to send some of the data to a tablet. I might do bit more work on that in the future to make it work nicer.

For the ride-height, none of the games really provide that. With F1 games there is the ride height setup value, which we don't know what it really means. Then for most games there is the suspension position (susp.pos), which can give an idea of the suspension travel, but still does not allow calculation of e.g. rake, as we don't know what is the ride height e.g. at suspension pos 0. In the X-Y plotter you can look at the suspension position to see, if is for long periods near 0, that might indicate either a) the car is bottoming or b) the suspension is fully pushed to the bottom.

Cheers.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back