Resource icon

Misc Telemetry Tool For F1 2021 11.4

Login or Register an account to download this content
Iko Rein submitted a new resource:

Telemetry Tool V11 - Real-time and offline Telemetry and race strategy application for Sim Racing

Hello,

New version of my telemetry and race strategy tool is here. This is mainly a version to get the F1 2021 support added to the Tool.

What is new in version 11?

Full support for F1 2021
At release 11.0 supports F1 2021 version 1.4.
For spectators, the Tool should now detect the tracks correctly.

Other additions:
  • Launcher for the Tool: Launcher now "remembers", in which mode the Tool was last started.
  • AC: Fixed situation, when the first lap...

Read more about this resource...

Hi Iko,

Thanks for the prompt update for the 2021 release. I'm already loving some of the QoL changes.

I am however getting some interesting readouts on the Broad Gen line about "Button status changed: XXX" during racing; it's not a huge issue, but as it changes quite frequently, it does mean that more prevalent messages are overwritten a lot quicker.

Is there any way for us to filter out these messages?

Thanks again,
Tipster

1626456220583.png

Hi Iko,

Thanks for the prompt update for the 2021 release. I'm already loving some of the QoL changes.

I am however getting some interesting readouts on the Broad Gen line about "Button status changed: XXX" during racing; it's not a huge issue, but as it changes quite frequently, it does mean that more prevalent messages are overwritten a lot quicker.

Is there any way for us to filter out these messages?

Thanks again,
Tipster

View attachment 488526
Aah, always something gets forgotten.

The button status was moved to the event packets quite late in the F1 2021 Beta and I forgot to filter them out from the general messages.

I will fix that to the next release, most likely within few weeks, when the monthly AMS2 version is out (hopefully with new tracks). I hope you can survive until then. If not, PM me and I will send you a link to test version, which should have that fixed.

And as I write this, I started thinking, would it be beneficial, that for wide screens there would be e.g. 20 last messages listed (instead of the 2 lines, there are now). I will need to test that to see, how it looks/works.

Cheers.

Aah, always something gets forgotten.

The button status was moved to the event packets quite late in the F1 2021 Beta and I forgot to filter them out from the general messages.

I will fix that to the next release, most likely within few weeks, when the monthly AMS2 version is out (hopefully with new tracks). I hope you can survive until then. If not, PM me and I will send you a link to test version, which should have that fixed.

And as I write this, I started thinking, would it be beneficial, that for wide screens there would be e.g. 20 last messages listed (instead of the 2 lines, there are now). I will need to test that to see, how it looks/works.

Cheers.
Hi Iko,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, our pit wall is looking forward to it.

Thought on the "last 20 messages"; would it be possible to have a slider so we can adjust the number of recent messages we see? This would allow us to adapt the changes for our various setups.

Thanks for making this again! I know you've tried to help me in the past and I'm still struggling. So I'm pretty sure I have the files in the right place, but Terminal (on Mac) keeps telling me that no such file exists. I'm sure it's something glaringly obvious, but I just cannot figure it out.

2021_07_17_at_2121_the__java__is_there.png

This is where I put the file.

And yet, I keep receiving this error.
2021_07_17_at_2124_no_file_found.png

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks for making this again! I know you've tried to help me in the past and I'm still struggling. So I'm pretty sure I have the files in the right place, but Terminal (on Mac) keeps telling me that no such file exists. I'm sure it's something glaringly obvious, but I just cannot figure it out.

View attachment 488841
This is where I put the file.

And yet, I keep receiving this error.
View attachment 488842

Any thoughts or ideas?
Well, just tested this. The issue here is the runMac.sh.

If you do from terminal:
cd /Applications/Telemetry_V11.0_with_JRE
bash runMac.sh
the Tool starts.

But if you do (i.e. run the script with home directory as current directory)
cd ~
bash runMac.sh
the Tool doesn't start.

I will investigate this. My experience on creating bash scripts is bit limited, but I will check if I can find a way to solve this for an upcoming release.

Just a note on macOs. If you unzipped the Tool to Applications, it might be good idea to make the data to be on your home directory or some other directory, not on the install directory. The Tool will ask data location on first startup.

Cheers

Last edited:
Mac + Linux users can modify the runMac.sh to be like this
===================
#!/bin/sh
cd "$(dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}")"
bin/mac/bin/java -Dsun.jnu.encoding=UTF-8 -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath Telemetry.jar apps.Launcher &
===================
This will fix the "java not found" issue mentioned earlier.

For Linux, if you hit the same issue, you can add the line starting with 'cd "' to the runLinux.sh to fix the issue.

This will be fixed in 11.1

Cheers.

Mac + Linux users can modify the runMac.sh to be like this
===================
#!/bin/sh
cd "$(dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}")"
bin/mac/bin/java -Dsun.jnu.encoding=UTF-8 -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath Telemetry.jar apps.Launcher &
===================
This will fix the "java not found" issue mentioned earlier.

For Linux, if you hit the same issue, you can add the line starting with 'cd "' to the runLinux.sh to fix the issue.

This will be fixed in 11.1

Cheers.
Thank you! I wouldn't have been able to figure that out myself, but in the future, if you need me to check something on a Mac (I think I've you mentioned before that you don't have one), let me know!

@Iko Rein Thanks for sharing this tool. I was able to set it up without issue and it's actively collecting data while in TT for F1 2021. Is this tool able to also collect telemetry from other ghosts on the leader board or only your own ghost? I tried setting another user as a rival and enabling their ghost and telemetry but it seems to only report my data. I apologize if I am missing something obvious.

@Iko Rein Thanks for sharing this tool. I was able to set it up without issue and it's actively collecting data while in TT for F1 2021. Is this tool able to also collect telemetry from other ghosts on the leader board or only your own ghost? I tried setting another user as a rival and enabling their ghost and telemetry but it seems to only report my data. I apologize if I am missing something obvious.
The Tool will only save data for the active ghost as data for other ghosts is not available.

In normal case you have to let the ghost run one full lap, before it is saved. So if you get new ghost, it starts halfway into S1. On the first lap ghost's data will not be saved. If you beat it on the ghost's second lap, the ghost data won't also be saved, but if the ghost beat you on the second lap, then the data should be saved.

Things have changed bit with F1 2021, so it might be that the ghosts are not always saved (yet). I am now testing it to iron out possible issues, as TT was not available during the beta.

Cheers.

So after your recommendation I gave this another go. I was in fact able to collect the telemetry from the top leader board ghost. I am amazed at how quickly analyzing this information has improved my one lap pace. In general I am about 3 seconds behind the esports guys on one lap pace for F1. But after about one hour I have already cut that to about 1.5 sec at Red Bull ring! Top legit time is by Bardia Boroumand at 1:02:020 and I just put in a 1:03:541. I am excited to see how this will progress my game play over the course of this game. Thanks again!

So after your recommendation I gave this another go. I was in fact able to collect the telemetry from the top leader board ghost. I am amazed at how quickly analyzing this information has improved my one lap pace. In general I am about 3 seconds behind the esports guys on one lap pace for F1. But after about one hour I have already cut that to about 1.5 sec at Red Bull ring! Top legit time is by Bardia Boroumand at 1:02:020 and I just put in a 1:03:541. I am excited to see how this will progress my game play over the course of this game. Thanks again!
Glad to hear that the Tool helps you on your progress. That is the original purpose of the Tool, to make it easier to get better.

Originally there were just the telemetry traces of your own laps, as you can gain a lot of info just comparing at your own laps and especially looking at the time diff traces. These days there are sites, which are selling pro telemetry for other tools, but when the opponent data came available to F1 games, I though collecting and saving the opponent laps/ghost laps would be best way to get the data from the better/faster drivers.

So now you can get the ghost data, but also if you drive against AI or do an online race, you will get the telemetry data of all laps, yours and the opponents. E.g. driving against AI at 110 gives you an idea, where and how you can beat the "top" AI. With the online race opponents you can get the setup + the telemetry.

In the Tool you can use the telemetry traces for looking at differences and where you lost/gained time. But also looking at/comparing the driving lines in the map view gives you an idea, e.g. if you are too tight on some corners and lose the time there. And the comparison tab gives bit more visual way of comparing the laps. So in the Telemetry Tool there are many ways for finding out, where and how you can improve your driving and times.

Cheers.

Thank you for sharing this additional insight, I pretty much race exclusively against AI as I really enjoy the season and my team modes. I am sure I have only scratched the surface with using your tool. Seeing the brake trace, minimum corner speed, and gear usage through corners with the track map has helped immensely.

Are here some console version of F1 2021 users?

If yes, I would like to get some feedback how the Tool works there? I have heard, that on some installs the speed graph + car positions don't show. This is because one packet from the game is not being received (or gets lost).

If you have a working system (game on console, Telemetry Tool on separate computer), I would love to see e.g. an image of the Telemetry Settings page in the game.

Cheers.

Are here some console version of F1 2021 users?

If yes, I would like to get some feedback how the Tool works there? I have heard, that on some installs the speed graph + car positions don't show. This is because one packet from the game is not being received (or gets lost).

If you have a working system (game on console, Telemetry Tool on separate computer), I would love to see e.g. an image of the Telemetry Settings page in the game.

Cheers.
I haven’t had the time to get on the game for about a week now, but I can try to take a look (I’m Xbox).

I haven’t had the time to get on the game for about a week now, but I can try to take a look (I’m Xbox).
Thanks.

One thing to try is to see, what happens if the game's Telemetry Settings the 'UDP Broadcast' is on or off. It seems, that if it is on, there are issues on getting all data through.

Cheers.

Thank you again for this new version of your telemetry tool, Iko! However, I'm having trouble running it on my machine. It gives me the below error:

1627222791798.png

After I hit "OK" - it's followed with this error message:

1627222983951.png

I never had an issue with the previous versions of the tool, but with ver. 11, I can't seem to get it to run. I'm not well versed with Java, so any help would be much appreciated :)!

Thank you!

Thank you again for this new version of your telemetry tool, Iko! However, I'm having trouble running it on my machine. It gives me the below error:

View attachment 490775

After I hit "OK" - it's followed with this error message:

View attachment 490776

I never had an issue with the previous versions of the tool, but with ver. 11, I can't seem to get it to run. I'm not well versed with Java, so any help would be much appreciated :)!

Thank you!
So you are starting the tool with double-clicking the Telemetry.jar?

Can you start the Tool with runWin.bat or one of the other .bat files.

If the .bat files also don't work. When you updated, did you replace the whole bin directory too? There are some new libraries there + new Java version included.

The error you are getting is because the JRE version the Tool uses (if you double click on the Telemetry.jar), might not be the one, I added to the package.

What if you unzip the who package to e.g. C:\bin\telemetry (i.e. make a clean install) and run it there, do you still get the error message, if you start the Tool with one of the .bat files.

Cheers.

So you are starting the tool with double-clicking the Telemetry.jar?

Can you start the Tool with runWin.bat or one of the other .bat files.

If the .bat files also don't work. When you updated, did you replace the whole bin directory too? There are some new libraries there + new Java version included.

The error you are getting is because the JRE version the Tool uses (if you double click on the Telemetry.jar), might not be the one, I added to the package.

What if you unzip the who package to e.g. C:\bin\telemetry (i.e. make a clean install) and run it there, do you still get the error message, if you start the Tool with one of the .bat files.

Cheers.
Awesome, Iko! Thanks for your suggestion about running the tool in C:\bin\telemetry\, as I was able to run the runWinLauncher.bat and runWin_F12021.bat files without issue.

The Telemetry.jar file still gives me the same error though. No biggie, as I'm still able to run the tool with the appropriate .bat file!

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.7%