Also getting slow speed and "bad gateway nginx" errors, but yeah – I'm glad it means people are visiting/downloading lots!

• Deleted member 197115

This month is a nightmare, 502 Bad gateway most of the times, never happened before. Did you just move to nginx or some configuration got changed?

Yeah RD is massively struggling with the growing amount of download traffic during peakdays and weekends.
I'd be interested to hear the before and after technical details once you have a solution in place.

Scaling and the modern techniques for solving those problems has always been fascinating to me.

It was pretty annoying to see the fingers being pointed at users page after page but finally I ended up with someone acknowledging the situation. You'd not have 60 people from different regions with different isp's if it was "just a problem with your isp".

I am not sure if it's about the download traffic though, because few minutes ago I was at 10kb/s and sometimes dropping to literally bytes, now it's just fixed by itself and dling at 1 mb a second. What is the explanation for this? That suddenly 500 people stopped their downloads? Something else must be going on with your servers. And I've had this issue for months, contacting discord they of course pointed at a "local problem" which never occured with any other site.

It was pretty annoying to see the fingers being pointed at users page after page but finally I ended up with someone acknowledging the situation. You'd not have 60 people from different regions with different isp's if it was "just a problem with your isp".

I am not sure if it's about the download traffic though, because few minutes ago I was at 10kb/s and sometimes dropping to literally bytes, now it's just fixed by itself and dling at 1 mb a second. What is the explanation for this? That suddenly 500 people stopped their downloads? Something else must be going on with your servers. And I've had this issue for months, contacting discord they of course pointed at a "local problem" which never occured with any other site.
Whoa.

This thread is OLD - please try looking at page 1 for a bit of context. There are many different causes for issues and on most occasions there has been no issue with the RD server (but as you'd expect, a great many different things can also go wrong with a server).

When fingers have been pointed at the ISPs of users (generally not the users themselves!) it has been with good reason. Often we don't know for sure if the users' ISPs are to blame or if it's an issue with our own ISP, or the networks in between, but usually the only practical solution is for users to consult their ISPs in such cases anyway (it has almost always been an issue with their ISPs). It's also worth keeping in mind that this site has a heck of a lot of users, so a few dozen people posting about issues over the course of several months is not by itself noteworthy.

Sometimes though, and especially recently, the available site bandwidth has simply been overwhelmed, and at those times the "slow download" issue will affect everyone (and you'll sometimes have seen "502" errors). As Bram said above, improvements are being made to tackle this (some of which have already been completed successfully). This however is not the same problem as referenced by most posts in this thread.
When I have said something along the lines of "no server issues right now" it will be because I've personally tested a download and seen a completely healthy download speed. I imagine our other staff have been doing the very same thing.

Honestly, it's not terribly difficult to ask your ISP why you have poor download speeds from a specific website and it might actually help to get to the bottom of your problem. This however was your very first post about the issue, no?

Whoa.

This thread is OLD - please try looking at page 1 for a bit of context. There are many different causes for issues and on most occasions there has been no issue with the RD server (but as you'd expect, a great many different things can also go wrong with a server).

When fingers have been pointed at the ISPs of users (generally not the users themselves!) it has been with good reason. Often we don't know for sure if the users' ISPs are to blame or if it's an issue with our own ISP, or the networks in between, but usually the only practical solution is for users to consult their ISPs in such cases anyway (it has almost always been an issue with their ISPs). It's also worth keeping in mind that this site has a heck of a lot of users, so a few dozen people posting about issues over the course of several months is not by itself noteworthy.

Sometimes though, and especially recently, the available site bandwidth has simply been overwhelmed, and at those times the "slow download" issue will affect everyone (and you'll sometimes have seen "502" errors). As Bram said above, improvements are being made to tackle this (some of which have already been completed successfully). This however is not the same problem as referenced by most posts in this thread.
When I have said something along the lines of "no server issues right now" it will be because I've personally tested a download and seen a completely healthy download speed. I imagine our other staff have been doing the very same thing.

Honestly, it's not terribly difficult to ask your ISP why you have poor download speeds from a specific website and it might actually help to get to the bottom of your problem. This however was your very first post about the issue, no?
I'd ask my ISP if I had this kind of problem with just one more website out of like 200 other ones I frequent.

Below is a typical sight on RD, happening as of now:

1637680605439.png

Sure I'm on the process. I will monitor traceroute jumps and networking connectivity too, never happened before and at the time tested most NA and EU aws availability zones heavy load, all OK. What kind of deployment you guys run?
The site is currently hosted on i3D.net (which will show up in the traceroute).

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.