Sidekick

Apps Sidekick 1.11.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
So ive downloaded everything and added it to the correct folder. I go into the game and enable your mod in the general options. Then when I come into the actual game your app doesnt show up with all the other apps on the toolbar to the very right of the screen. Why is this?

Hi, I might be asking something obvious (though I didn't find an answer by searching through this topic), but...is there some issue with tyre wear currently? I remember tyre wear working as expected with the tyres dropping from 100 down throughout the race, but for a while now, it doesn't seem to work like that anymore. If I start a session, the tyre wear does no longer show 100, but usually something like 92, which then fluctuates while driving both up (up to 100, indeed) and also down. I couldn't figure out anything the value would seem to depend on, it just seems to go up and down at more or less random...

Doesn't seem to matter whether the car is official or mod, and I've also seen it on YouTube several times, most notably in videos/streams by Shaun Cole from Simpit.

Am I missing something here? Thanks.

I have seen tires in the ~92 % when leaving the pits in some sessions but have written this off as tires not having been changed but taken over from the last session.
I always thought that one has to make a setup change in order to "force a tire change to new tires" (change compound, load different setup, …).

I might have misinterpreted this for a long time and would be happy to hear about the actual mechanics behind the tire wear value in Sidekick and how it becomes "reset" to 100%

Sidekick doesn't do anything smart with wear data, it only scales the info AC provides and displays it. Any oddities you're mentioning should be entirely up to AC. There was always a short "scrub-in" period on some cars, where the tyres start below ideal, take some time to reach ideal, and then start dropping, it's perfectly normal. Give me a car example just to double check though. Also, tyres are never carried over, you always get new ones on each new session in AC.

Last edited:
Is there any chance you add flags and penalty messages?
As I am driving in VR, flags are almost impossible to notice (being on the far top left of the virtual screen) and last night I even got disqualified during a race for ignoring a corner cutting penalty I just did not notice.

Here are the latest compounds and brakes data while we're waiting for RD to fix some backend issues that are currently preventing me from posting an update. This is useful just for people who don't use Content Manager. Once RD solves this problem, version 1.11.1 containing these files will be uploaded as usual.

Attachments

• brakes.ini
    3.2 KB · Views: 295
  • compounds.ini
    45.1 KB · Views: 295
God damn it, apparently I've clicked on "watch resource" instead of "watch thread", so I never got any notification about the responses and I completely forgot about posting here :( So I apologize for not responding, I'll take a look at it again ASAP to be able to give some examples. But unless I'm mistaken, it happened pretty much with all the cars I've driven. But again, I'll check to be sure.

I have a very strange issue with Sidekick since a few days.
when I was attending a race at Monza Sidekick would not show some data fields (like best lap time delta, tire information, etc). Those fields would be completely empty (no numbers displayed) and would only sometimes show information after crossing the start finish line every lap but be not updated in real time any longer.
Also I do not know how trustworthy the displayed info would be as for example the delta to best laptime or time to racer ahead and behind would display sometimes a completely static, untrue value.

This so far happens only at this one track (Monza).

Is there anything I can do apart from reinstalling or risking any loss of data?
It sounds like some track specific file has been corrupted perhaps?
What could cause auch a strange issue?

Btw - other apps as Kunos tire app work normal at that track.

OK, I finally had some time to test the tyre wear issues. And it's just weird.

It kinda seems to depend more on the tyres than on car. I pulled up the official tyre app to compare the tyre wear and went hotlapping with different cars.

First I tried the Tatuus. With medium tyres, the tyre wear started at 92 and reached 100 on all four tyres in about 3 laps. Then it kinda sorta seemed to drop down more or less according to how the tyre wear bar in the official app went down. Then I changed the tyres on the car to softs. This time, the tyre wear on the fresh car out of the pit was 67 on all four tyres. It took them almost seven laps to get to 100 and then it began to fall down again mostly according to the bar in the official app. When the bar in the official app turned yellow, Sidekick was showing I believe around 60 on that tyre (scale 16).

Then I tried the MX5 Cup. The tyres again started at 92 and it took about three laps for them to get to 100. And then they just stayed there. I kept on hotlapping, hoping for some change, and it literally took me *an hour* (tyre wear 1x) before one of the tyres finally dropped from 100 to 98. It did it in one lap, too. Meanwhile, on the official app, the bar for this tyre was almost one quarter down (though still green) and the other three tyres were only slightly better. And obviously, the grip was very bad as well.

Then I took another car I drive a lot lately, the Porsche 911 RSR 3.0. This time, the tyre wear fresh out of the pit was showing 100 on all four tyres and the number dropping closely matched what the bar on the official app was doing.

Then I was running out of time, so I was spending less time with each tyre/car combo.

Ferrari LaFerrari with Trofeo Slick tyres. Start at 92, a few laps to get to 100 and then it seemed to stay there without dropping down, just like on the MX5. Changed the tyres to Road tyres, and just like on the Porsche, they started at 100 and then gradually seemed to be dropping down more or less OK.

And finally, the BMW Z4 with hard, medium and soft tyres. All three tyre types started at 92 wear and gradually got to 100. With hard tyres, it seemed to stay there - I did about 5 laps once they reached 100, so maybe it wasn't enough time. But the bar on the official app was definitely dropping. With medium and soft tyres, the wear seemed to be dropping, though not following the official app bar all too closely.

So yeah, I don't really get what's happening there. Not sure why with some cars/tyres, the tyre wear seems to be working as I would expect it to, and with others, it's acting weird to the point of pretty much not working at all with some combos.

And one more weird thing - doing all this and watching the indicators closely, I realized the brake temperature readout that is supposed to show up while braking (as I have it set up) doesn't work. Except - it works with the Porsche 911... :O_o:

BTW, while going through my race recordings, I also found this race in the Tatuus with medium tyres (if I remember correctly) - and the tyre wear is all over the place there (watch the left rear tyre especially):

So...yeah...:confused:

TL;DR: That's how the tyre wear works in AC, everything is fine and works as it should.

There are 2 factors:
1) vKM (depends on driven distance, temps, load/stress) which is displayed by the lowering bar on the Kunos tyre app and this isn't used by Sidekick.

2) Tyre grip, this displayed by the 3 colors in the Kunos tyre app, green 100-98%, yellow 98-96% and below 96% is red. This is what Sidekick uses for the wear indicator.

Topuz defined that the red tyre wear is ranging from 96-94%.
Now comes the scaling factor into place, with 16x Sidekick scales this Kunos 100% to 94% grip to a 100 to 0 tyre wear scale.
So 67 in Sidekick means 98% grip (the point Kunos goes from green to yellow) and 33 means 96% grip (yellow to red).

So if you're tyres start below 100 this means you have tyres with a rub-in phase that improve grip, so you need to drive a bit until they reach 100% grip, then they stay at 100% for a while (how long they stay at 100 depends on each tyre, usually hard tyres longer than softer ones).

Many modern racing tyres start around 92, but this only means they actually have 99.5% grip, only the scaling factor of SK makes it look 'worse'.

PS:
Recently raced the 911 GT3 Cup (only hard compound available) on Barcelona Moto, 8 laps, it took maybe a lap or so until all tyres went from 92 to 100 and then they stayed at max. grip for the whole race.

Edit: Watched the video (skipped through it).
The grip improvements in later stages are also happening in the game, Sidekick only takes the values how they are provided by AC.
The improving grip happens because of 2 reasons:
a) it's simulated like this, some racing tyres have a drop after a couple of laps (i.e. graining, blisters) and then hold steady or slightly improve after that initial drop; this is most likely what happens
b) there is a bug in the tyre wear files, this can happen, but usually is a rare thing

So most likely it's simulated on purpose like this.

Last edited:
If what I'm experiencing is working as intended, then I guess that means tyre wear info in Sidekick is completely useless (at least with some tyre/car combinations and you'd need to figure out yourself those that actually provide reasonable info) and there's no point using it as you're much better off using the Kunos app, as it has the tyre wear bar that gives you at least *some* usable info.

(Nothing against Sidekick if it really is so, it's just that I had no idea and also that it seemed to me like it used to work as expected before. I absolutely understand there might be limitations to the data that are available to third party apps that simply can't be worked around or don't have a reasonable solution.)

Last edited:
I think it's the total opposite.

While the lowering bar in the KS tyre app doesn't really tell you anything ( you can have a 2/3 full bar while the tyres are bad (red) already), yet the crucial information is how much grip the tyres actually have.
The KS tyre app shows the grip in 3 stages only, green/yellow/red and that's it while Sidekick provides this range in nice precise increments, added by a nice gradient color change.

I have a very strange issue with Sidekick since a few days.
when I was attending a race at Monza Sidekick would not show some data fields (like best lap time delta, tire information, etc). Those fields would be completely empty (no numbers displayed) and would only sometimes show information after crossing the start finish line every lap but be not updated in real time any longer.
Also I do not know how trustworthy the displayed info would be as for example the delta to best laptime or time to racer ahead and behind would display sometimes a completely static, untrue value.

This so far happens only at this one track (Monza).

Is there anything I can do apart from reinstalling or risking any loss of data?
It sounds like some track specific file has been corrupted perhaps?
What could cause auch a strange issue?

Btw - other apps as Kunos tire app work normal at that track.
Strange indeed. Did you by any chance mess with the AI line files for Monza? Does it happen with all cars on Monza? Are there any errors in the console (Home key)?
OK, I finally had some time to test the tyre wear issues. And it's just weird.

It kinda seems to depend more on the tyres than on car. I pulled up the official tyre app to compare the tyre wear and went hotlapping with different cars.

First I tried the Tatuus. With medium tyres, the tyre wear started at 92 and reached 100 on all four tyres in about 3 laps. Then it kinda sorta seemed to drop down more or less according to how the tyre wear bar in the official app went down. Then I changed the tyres on the car to softs. This time, the tyre wear on the fresh car out of the pit was 67 on all four tyres. It took them almost seven laps to get to 100 and then it began to fall down again mostly according to the bar in the official app. When the bar in the official app turned yellow, Sidekick was showing I believe around 60 on that tyre (scale 16).

Then I tried the MX5 Cup. The tyres again started at 92 and it took about three laps for them to get to 100. And then they just stayed there. I kept on hotlapping, hoping for some change, and it literally took me *an hour* (tyre wear 1x) before one of the tyres finally dropped from 100 to 98. It did it in one lap, too. Meanwhile, on the official app, the bar for this tyre was almost one quarter down (though still green) and the other three tyres were only slightly better. And obviously, the grip was very bad as well.

Then I took another car I drive a lot lately, the Porsche 911 RSR 3.0. This time, the tyre wear fresh out of the pit was showing 100 on all four tyres and the number dropping closely matched what the bar on the official app was doing.

Then I was running out of time, so I was spending less time with each tyre/car combo.

Ferrari LaFerrari with Trofeo Slick tyres. Start at 92, a few laps to get to 100 and then it seemed to stay there without dropping down, just like on the MX5. Changed the tyres to Road tyres, and just like on the Porsche, they started at 100 and then gradually seemed to be dropping down more or less OK.

And finally, the BMW Z4 with hard, medium and soft tyres. All three tyre types started at 92 wear and gradually got to 100. With hard tyres, it seemed to stay there - I did about 5 laps once they reached 100, so maybe it wasn't enough time. But the bar on the official app was definitely dropping. With medium and soft tyres, the wear seemed to be dropping, though not following the official app bar all too closely.

So yeah, I don't really get what's happening there. Not sure why with some cars/tyres, the tyre wear seems to be working as I would expect it to, and with others, it's acting weird to the point of pretty much not working at all with some combos.

And one more weird thing - doing all this and watching the indicators closely, I realized the brake temperature readout that is supposed to show up while braking (as I have it set up) doesn't work. Except - it works with the Porsche 911... :O_o:

BTW, while going through my race recordings, I also found this race in the Tatuus with medium tyres (if I remember correctly) - and the tyre wear is all over the place there (watch the left rear tyre especially):

So...yeah...:confused:
You're overcomplicating it. Maybe you're new to AC, but all of this is expected behavior. @schnipp explained most of it, just a few more things to add:
- Sidekick doesn't change any of the wear data it receives from AC. It just scales it to be more obvious and closer to real useful life of tyres. Do some tyres have strange wear curves? Yes. But don't blame the mailman for the news. :)
- It was explained multiple times on AC forums by the devs, the bar height represents the "virtual kilometer" value, i.e. how much you've driven the tyre with some stress on it. The more you abuse the tyre, the quicker the vkm will accumulate and the bar will drop. The bar height does not indicate grip, only the color of the bar does. Some tyres provide good grip even after lots of driving, while others tend to drop very quickly, which is also completely fine.
- Regarding brake temps... Only select few Kunos cars, mostly older ones have brake temperature simulated, that's why you were seeing it on the Carrera RSR and not on others you mentioned.

Strange indeed. Did you by any chance mess with the AI line files for Monza? Does it happen with all cars on Monza? Are there any errors in the console (Home key)?
I didn't change any files in the folders. It worked beautifully before (had a few online races in a row at Monza and just two races ago it started to act up).

I thought a reboot would fix the issue (as I am also using ACTI and record telemetry data in all sessions) but when nothing changed to the better in yesterdays race I knew something is amiss.

I will check for the console later on and will test with other cars (I only used the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 2017 when this happened). It does happen also in all sessions (P, Q and R) equally.

On other tracks I have seen no issues at all.

Are there any Kunos files that are track related which Sidekick uses I could delete and re-download with the Steam file check that may cause the issue?

Are there any Sidekick generated files specific to individual tracks I could delete (just the ones for Monza only for a track specific reset without loosing all the other data)?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back