Show us your Rig / Cockpit

Speaking of the triple monitor mount, I noticed silver-tone brackets versus the black plates on the chassis.

Did you opt for raw aluminum in what appears to be a beaded/blasted finish vs. powder coated steel because these items are typically far more likely to be adjusted than steering wheel and seat uprights?

due to covid my favorite powder coater went out of business. i tried sourcing a good powder coater but no luck. with the current power coating prices i found this would add an additional 200-300 to the prices i gave you so i just stuck with blasted.

Well, I think I'm pretty close to being able to say I'm done with the rig for the time being. Today I installed the Simlab Heusinkveld extra support for the pedal plate, that made it very solid. A while ago I spotted the Heusinkveld shifter and the handbrake for sale used in my local club Discord, for a good price, so I just bought the set. Now that I've got the installed... I don't know how I managed with the Fanatec handbrake - this on is soo good. The shifter is fine, but the difference to the Fanatec SQ is not that big.

The rig is built in a corner behind my computer table. This is to save space and allow using the same computer for desktop work, my son's gaming and then my simracing. I don't have a garage or a man cave, but I have a wife who puts up with this and even listens to my rambling about this and that in sims and gear. Can't really complain...

The rig
R4MBbUM.jpg

The room, our study or library room...
kYdBQPu.jpg

Hi All, long time since Ive posted on here, this is my latest Sim Build if anyone is interested in the full build up from design to where Im up to at the moment please comment and Ill start posting up the Build stages for anyone that wants to follow along.
Cheers Shane.

Attachments

• IMG_3548.jpg
    IMG_3548.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG_3549.jpg
    IMG_3549.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_3550.jpg
    IMG_3550.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_3551.jpg
    IMG_3551.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_3552.jpg
    IMG_3552.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 627
Hi All, long time since Ive posted on here, this is my latest Sim Build if anyone is interested in the full build up from design to where Im up to at the moment please comment and Ill start posting up the Build stages for anyone that wants to follow along.
Cheers Shane.
You should make a dedicated thread for this. There is no doubt people will want to follow such high quality work! It would be a shame for the only content of it to be buried here.

Well, I think I'm pretty close to being able to say I'm done with the rig for the time being. Today I installed the Simlab Heusinkveld extra support for the pedal plate, that made it very solid. A while ago I spotted the Heusinkveld shifter and the handbrake for sale used in my local club Discord, for a good price, so I just bought the set. Now that I've got the installed... I don't know how I managed with the Fanatec handbrake - this on is soo good. The shifter is fine, but the difference to the Fanatec SQ is not that big.

The rig is built in a corner behind my computer table. This is to save space and allow using the same computer for desktop work, my son's gaming and then my simracing. I don't have a garage or a man cave, but I have a wife who puts up with this and even listens to my rambling about this and that in sims and gear. Can't really complain...

The rig
R4MBbUM.jpg

The room, our study or library room...
kYdBQPu.jpg
Great setup and pictures. Can you maybe also share a picture from handbreak/shifter from the front ? I am interested to know how you constructed this.

Great setup and pictures. Can you maybe also share a picture from handbreak/shifter from the front ? I am interested to know how you constructed this.

Well, it's nothing special. I'm not much of a builder and I just had these pieces of 8040 and corner bracket laying around. It's amazing though what you can do with this stuff, it's like Lego. The SQ1.5 shifter is connected to the original GT1 Evo shifter bar, which I had to move outside the wheel mount upright as it came too close to the seat to work with the seat mover. The Heusinkveld shifter is mounted on it's on bar, coming from the wheel mount upright. The handbrake can only be mounted on 40 sized face, so I made a mount out of two separate pieces, mounted on the bar where the SQ1.5 is connected as well.

It all works in the sense that it is very rigid. If I had the possibility, I would probably move everything a bit closer to me, but it would require me to buy new longer pieces. Also, I think it's RCHeliguy that has nicely angled his handbrake, that might be something I'd like to do in future. I'm pulling it towards me anyway.

q40ejym.jpg

Well, it's nothing special. I'm not much of a builder and I just had these pieces of 8040 and corner bracket laying around. It's amazing though what you can do with this stuff, it's like Lego. The SQ1.5 shifter is connected to the original GT1 Evo shifter bar, which I had to move outside the wheel mount upright as it came too close to the seat to work with the seat mover. The Heusinkveld shifter is mounted on it's on bar, coming from the wheel mount upright. The handbrake can only be mounted on 40 sized face, so I made a mount out of two separate pieces, mounted on the bar where the SQ1.5 is connected as well.

It all works in the sense that it is very rigid. If I had the possibility, I would probably move everything a bit closer to me, but it would require me to buy new longer pieces. Also, I think it's RCHeliguy that has nicely angled his handbrake, that might be something I'd like to do in future. I'm pulling it towards me anyway.

q40ejym.jpg
You run a VR setup or a monitor? I don't see a monitor and I just see a regular stand underneath the one on your desk. Does it swing over to your rig when you race? Real nice setup though, hope to run something similar one day!

You run a VR setup or a monitor? I don't see a monitor and I just see a regular stand underneath the one on your desk. Does it swing over to your rig when you race? Real nice setup though, hope to run something similar one day!

I run VR only, Rift S. I actually have a swivel monitor stand I've bought, but never got down to installing it as I don't feel like racing in 2D anymore. The Rift S (and the Rift before that) have been fairly trouble free, and with the Rift S the resolution is enough so I can use the desktop view comfortably as well. I have a small keyboard for that.

It's my dream setup for now, maybe on day I will consider 4DOF + TL, but that is not for now, for then I need figure out where to place the rig!-)

• Deleted member 217114

I like it clean and tidy. Not finished, yet. Plan:
[Fase 2] 2020/2021
Magnetic shifter modification for the F1-rim
Upgrade videocard
Upgrade to the last AM4 CPU

[Fase 3] 2021/2023
Fanatec Xbox hub with a D, a U or a rectangle shaped wheel
Heusinkveld Sprints
Some cool digital dashboard (LCD)

[Fase 4] 2023/2030
Probably a Direct Drive wheel
A 49 inch ultrawide monitor
Heusinkveld H-pattern (if it ever releases)

It's a long-term project.

Attachments

• Naamloos.jpg
    Naamloos.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 297
Recently upgraded my rig to full Fanatec from my decade old Logitech G25.
Quite an impressive difference especially the pedals and the brake pedal in particular!
Still trying to fine tune the positioning and clean up wiring and yes there are still some flight sim controllers pictured in there which I'm trying to figure out how to combine or else I'll build up a second but simpler rig for flying.
I have noticed that the old F-GT frame isn't quite stiff enough for the stronger forces coming from the Fanatec gear so I am going to make up some stiffening brackets at work in an attempt to brace it all up a little better.
Even though my G25 had a few upgrades, stronger motor, tighter belt, cooling fan, firmer pedal springs, gated shifter improvement bracket (3d printed) it has nothing on my new Fanatec gear!
20200508_200203a (1).jpg
20200507_203057a.jpg
20200507_203115a.jpg
20200507_203132a.jpg
20200507_203146a.jpg

Last edited:
Recently upgraded my rig to full Fanatec from my decade old Logitech G25.
Quite an impressive difference especially the pedals and the brake pedal in particular!
Still trying to fine tune the positioning and clean up wiring and yes there are still some flight sim controllers pictured in there which I'm trying to figure out how to combine or else I'll build up a second but simpler rig for flying.
I have noticed that the old F-GT frame isn't quite stiff enough for the stronger forces coming from the Fanatec gear so I am going to make up some stiffening brackets at work in an attempt to brace it all up a little better.
Even though my G25 had a few upgrades, stronger motor, tighter belt, cooling fan, firmer pedal springs, gated shifter improvement bracket (3d printed) it has nothing on my new Fanatec gear!View attachment 372123View attachment 372124NiiView attachment 372125View attachment 372126View attachment 372127
Nice to see you fly, also nice EVGA fridge you got there :)

So, the guy above who wrote on 6th of May that his rig is finished, has purchased some new wheels!-) You guys know how this goes...

I got an Universal Hub for my rally rim, now I can use the paddle shifter for those cars that have it.

I used the Podium Hub from the rally wheel to make a new GT wheel, just added the paddle shifters - the magnetic ones feel fantastic. I got the rim kind of cheap together with the Universal Hub, but I really like it, the shape is great and feels super comfortable. The wheel weighs around 1750g.

Also, now the wheels are at the same distance so no need to adjust anything when changing wheels. The Podium Hub is around 1cm taller, but the rally wheel dish is again around 1cm more than the GT wheel. They now have only a few millilitre difference.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.