Show us your Rig / Cockpit

My turn to show my (incomplete, but hopefully not for long) rig - well, it's actually just the chassis and seat for now...

What I had in mind when I decided to build this rig was:
  • it had to be super strong - I was thinking of installing an DD wheel of some sort and a set of load cell / hydraulic pedals.
  • it had to be super cheap - prefer spending the big money on a good wheel and pedals.
  • it had to be buildable in my apartment with basic tools and no skills.
  • it had to fit in the corner of my living room, between the TV and an unpractically placed and stupidely huge heater.
  • it had to pass the girlfriend's approval exam.
So here is what I came up with: a frame made of 2x4" timbers built around an ikea chair... your typical cheapo rig.
upload_2019-7-13_19-15-6.png

So is it solid you may ask? I tried to push it, pull it, make it bend, call it names you wouldn't even imagine, this thing does not move. We'll see how it behaves with a wheel attached!

So was it cheap you may ask? Roughly 50€ for the wood, 50€ again for the hardware, 95€ for the ikea chair and that's pretty much it! So yeah, quite cheap actually.

So was it buildable in my apartment with basic tools and no skills? Well, sure does look like it, right?

So could it fit in the corner of my living room? Let's see...
upload_2019-7-13_19-26-16.png

It does!!!

So is it girlfriend approved? Mmmmh... not too sure about that yet :speechless: I mean, I haven't been kicked out of the house so I guess that's a good sign, right?

Last thing I have yet to do is to move the piece where the wheel will be attached away from the seat, I anticipate the steering wheel will be way too close to my face.

Other than that, Heusinkveld Sprints are on order and some sort of wheel will be ordered soon too - might go for sim-pli.city's SW7C wheel, not sure yet...

Does anyone know how to make the sliding tracks under your seat tighter? My seat has a slight wobble so I detached it from the rig and I've narrowed it down to the actual tracks having a little play in them (it's not that bad to be honest, but I'd like to get it flush if possible). Any ideas on how to fix?

YvN3t0H.jpg

o9yKY13.jpg

My turn to show my (incomplete, but hopefully not for long) rig - well, it's actually just the chassis and seat for now...

What I had in mind when I decided to build this rig was:
  • it had to be super strong - I was thinking of installing an DD wheel of some sort and a set of load cell / hydraulic pedals.
  • it had to be super cheap - prefer spending the big money on a good wheel and pedals.
  • it had to be buildable in my apartment with basic tools and no skills.
  • it had to fit in the corner of my living room, between the TV and an unpractically placed and stupidely huge heater.
  • it had to pass the girlfriend's approval exam.
So here is what I came up with: a frame made of 2x4" timbers built around an ikea chair... your typical cheapo rig.
View attachment 314913

So is it solid you may ask? I tried to push it, pull it, make it bend, call it names you wouldn't even imagine, this thing does not move. We'll see how it behaves with a wheel attached!

So was it cheap you may ask? Roughly 50€ for the wood, 50€ again for the hardware, 95€ for the ikea chair and that's pretty much it! So yeah, quite cheap actually.

So was it buildable in my apartment with basic tools and no skills? Well, sure does look like it, right?

So could it fit in the corner of my living room? Let's see...
View attachment 314929
It does!!!

So is it girlfriend approved? Mmmmh... not too sure about that yet :speechless: I mean, I haven't been kicked out of the house so I guess that's a good sign, right?

Last thing I have yet to do is to move the piece where the wheel will be attached away from the seat, I anticipate the steering wheel will be way too close to my face.

Other than that, Heusinkveld Sprints are on order and some sort of wheel will be ordered soon too - might go for sim-pli.city's SW7C wheel, not sure yet...

Nice home built rig, I prefer working with wood too.
A few suggestions if you don't mind.
If you plan on a DD go 4x4s for the uprights.
Go to your local vehicle scrap yard and find a nice manually adjusting leather seat. These can often be had for cheap, gave $50 for mine out of a 2017 Nissan Murano.
IMG_20190717_162150.jpg

IMG_20190327_150121.jpg

@badash199 Looks great, but that steering wheel support is FAR to close.
To give you an idea, mine support is about 32" away from the back rest part of my seat, where yours is about 10" less than that.
If you placed a DD wheel on that it would be about 6" away from the back rest. A standard wheel will still be almost touching your chest.
That's the beauty of wood though, you can position things wherever a screw will go.

All of our home made designs are evolving all the time.
I am thinking about what to do to mine next each day.

Nice home built rig, I prefer working with wood too.
A few suggestions if you don't mind.
If you plan on a DD go 4x4s for the uprights.
Go to your local vehicle scrap yard and find a nice manually adjusting leather seat. These can often be had for cheap, gave $50 for mine out of a 2017 Nissan Murano.
View attachment 315615
View attachment 315616

Thank you! I think wood is a very good option for that kind of built. It is not as expensive as aluminium and plenty strong if the rig is well designed. That's a pretty nice rig you have yourself!

I actually though of getting a car seat from a scrap yard but the Ikea seat was my best option for various practical reasons and I actually find the seating position to be pretty good and comfy for driving!

I might make the uprights stronger as you said. I am hoping that the triangles will be enough but I'll see how it behaves when I put a wheel on there.

@badash199 Looks great, but that steering wheel support is FAR to close.
To give you an idea, mine support is about 32" away from the back rest part of my seat, where yours is about 10" less than that.
If you placed a DD wheel on that it would be about 6" away from the back rest. A standard wheel will still be almost touching your chest.
That's the beauty of wood though, you can position things wherever a screw will go.

All of our home made designs are evolving all the time.
I am thinking about what to do to mine next each day.

Yeah, I agree... It seemed actually fine before I installed those supports underneath the seat as my weight would push the seat lower and further away from the wheel deck. But now that the seat doesn't move anymore, it is way too close. I think I would be confortable if the wheel rim was where the wheel deck is right now.

As you said, always evolving! ;)

So, I build this one in 2011. If I remember correct the seat was 70 € and another 50 € for building materials. Whole thing was built on the fly, no blueprints or such. A little bit of a try and error involved. Building time was a couple of hours over the course of one weekend and later a couple minutes here and there for refinement. I always intented this to be a starting point that I would later either rebuild or add stuff. It's very basic and rudimentary. But it worked so well for me that it basically stayed the same over all the years. It served me well for thousands of kilometers of racing and I see no need for a new/different one.

P1000460.JPG
P1000461.JPG
P1000462.JPG
P1000463.JPG
P1000464.JPG

Hello,

here is mine !

The cockpit is full home made. The PC, watercooled, is inserted at the back, directly in the alu section.
The sim hard is componend in :
- SimXperience Accuforce v2
- Heuskinveld sprint pedals
- Fanatec H-Shifter (with leather momo stick)
- Aiologs Sequential shifter painted in black (with sparco shifter)
- BJSimracing Elite handbrake
- SRH ControlR Interface
- Defi Gauge
- OMP racing seat
- Momo 35cm leather wheel
- Momo jet wheel leather 35cm on Accforce HUB
- Fanatec clubsport racing whelle with USB adapter

20190721_173435.jpg
20190721_173158.jpg
20190511_103119.jpg

Does anyone know how to make the sliding tracks under your seat tighter? My seat has a slight wobble so I detached it from the rig and I've narrowed it down to the actual tracks having a little play in them (it's not that bad to be honest, but I'd like to get it flush if possible). Any ideas on how to fix?

YvN3t0H.jpg

o9yKY13.jpg
Hi,
Not sure if its been answered already or if any suggestions,
my playseat is similar had the same issues, but I was adding some LFE Mini buttkickers to a metal plate I made and now straight away the slider is square again the seat,
what causes it the 4 bolts mounts to the frame of the seat and sometimes the actual base ends up not 100% perfect square again so ends up say idk 2mm off which causes this issue,
obviously you could try aligning it again 2-3-4-5 times but most likely will still end up with the same problem,

measure the holes and the distance and either get some wood made perfect square or in my case a steal plate in which has made the seat more rigid, more square and now slides like butter,
hope that helps it did for me but after adding the buttklickers like I say.
7b7b31c0b479c53bdfa9c85c28174f66.png

@sardokard

Nice rig!

Can I ask you where you ordered your parts from? I'm designing a rig in May-Cad and I have the same connectors on it. However it seems that May-Tec is a lot more expensive than Motedis, unfortunately I can't find the same connectors or some other parts I'm using in May-Cad on the Motedis website.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.