Should Ferrari Start Supporting Leclerc Over Vettel?

Ferrari would be lunatics to pick one over the other at only round 2. I'm assuming this question and poll was meant for persons who are new to racing and the fact that it is a team sport. Always remember that to finish first you must first finish and its a long season with lots of points to play for.

[QUOTE="Turk, post: 2945000, member: 99572
He did seem to be throwing caution to the wind though. Did he not say in the interview afterwards that he may not have had enough fuel to finish the race if the safety car hadn't
^Leclerk did indeed say that - I assumed it was due to the misfire or whatever the problem was leading to increased fuel usage (sic).
_________________________________________________________________________________
The kid is obviously good and Vettelle has to pull his finger out pretty quick. Ask this question again around the time of the british gp and we'll see; right now it is a bit daft to be honest.

Last edited:
They should support both imo,
if they are in close title contention then yes, the driver that has chance, especially if they other one is out, then it makes sense, but not in race02 :)

that being said, I'm sure Charles has a bright future ahead of him, and I"m sure he will be champ in a year or two

I do believe that the incident may have had something to do with loss of downforce, but definitely not on the front wing. Why would he spin by losing front downforce?
Downforce at a slow corner exit is almost a non-factor. For me Vettel's mistake was very obviously too much pressure on the gas pedal too soon (road surface might have contributed a bit). Maybe he should drive with assists on until he's comfortable? =P

Downforce at a slow corner exit is almost a non-factor. For me Vettel's mistake was very obviously too much pressure on the gas pedal too soon (road surface might have contributed a bit). Maybe he should drive with assists on until he's comfortable? =P

What the hell?
That corner is done at around 170kph, downforce is obviously a factor.

I'm not saying it's what caused the spin, but saying it's not a factor is not very wise.

Not sure why some people object to the question being asked so much. I mean, it's just a question designed to create debate, not a statement of what should happen. It seems to have done it's job admirably.

Besides, anyone that has even a passing interest in F1 knows how knee-jerk it is all the time. Bottas wins once, "we have a new Bottas lion this year! Watch out Hamilton!" Sure. Leclerc (should have) wins once, "Ferrari should support him as primary driver now! Watch out Vettel!" Yep. Vettel spins once, "Holy cow, he's so rubbish and doesn't deserve the four world titles he clearly won by luck alone, and should be kicked out of Ferrari!" Of course. :rolleyes:

My own opinion on this question is that they should keep their options open, as it's too early in the season to dedicate support to one driver. I thought it was very premature and lacking foresight for Ferrari to publicly state that Vettel was their number one before the season has even started.

For starters, the pressure is getting to him and forcing him into silly errors, fact. Taking even a tiny amount of that pressure away by giving their drivers equal status, even if only in public, may make a difference. But perhaps more importantly from a team perspective, it does no good to support a driver that ends up falling well short, regardless of the reasons.

Secondly, nobody knows what Leclerc is really capable of in F1 yet. He's clearly a great driver as his results in the lower formulas speak for themselves. He also did a great job of dragging that thing he was driving last year well above where it deserved to be, certainly when compared to his teammate. And so far this year he is coping with the immense pressure of joining the premier team in F1 in only his second season. If he keeps this up he will probably deserve being supported as number one.

I don't truly understand the neigh-sayers as it's hardly unheard of for a young kid to enter F1 and take it by storm, is it? A certain Englishman was just a couple of points shy of winning the championship in his rookie season back in `07, and many would agree that a certain Dutchman may well have a championship under his belt already if he had a competitive car.

Personally, I think Leclerc has a really great attitude and I'm really interested to see what he can achieve this season. :thumbsup:

The problem with asking such a question after RACE TWO is that it
implies that this could be an option now after all. Which in itself is
completely unrealistic right now.

I think it is based on who is in front and who is behind. If they are running one place apart in the top 10 then politics will come into to play. The driver only cares about the Drivers championship and in a Scuderia Ferrari car it can go either way. The team however want the constructors tittle because it is more affiliated with the team and brand. Effectively you want both by season end. But the world Drivers tittle and constructors tittle can go to different teams.

If a Scuderia Ferrari driver where to get the tittle sealed with a handful of races to go the driver may gift the win to the team mate. Michale Schumacher and Rubens Barichello used to do that. As a fan you don't want the leader to wave a rival past it's not real racing.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 6.0%