Samsung CRG9 / 49" / 32:9 Monitor (5120 x 1440 1000 HDR)

Has anyone mounted this on their rig with motion? How is it? What mount did you use?

I have mine attached to a motion rig w/ 150mm of travel and a strong motion profile. After a month or two of use, the monitor has not (yet) caught fire, as the user manual suggested it might :)

My mount has turned out to be very effective at stopping the monitor from wobbling and flopping around. @nerdthewise has the same monitor mounted to a non-motion rig, and he had to do similar bracing for the sides of the monitor to stop it from flopping around when he'd kick the clutch or brake pedals!

I forget which threads everyone's pictures are in... I'll re-attach mine here.

Amazon:
VESA tilt mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069LPT0A
(Note that I mostly perform tilt adjust via my aluminum extrusion once during assembly and leave it there locked, I was just looking for a low-profile bracket and this seemed to be a good match.)

Misumi:
2x HFSLB8-4040-575 (40x40x575mm vertical pillars, black)
2x HFSLB8-4040-160 (40x40x160mm forward/back adjust pillars, black)
1x HFSLB8-4040-458 (40x40x458mm cross beam, black)
2x HFSB5-2020-355 (20x20x355mm support beams, black)
2-4x SHPTBD8 (40x80mm L-bracket for attaching vertical pillars to my 80mm-tall wheel deck)
4x HNTF8-5 (40x40mm profile drop-in T-nut, with 5mm threading for mating to 20x20mm profile brackets, to attach the support beam brackets to the vertical pillars)
8x HBLSSB5 (20x20mm L-brackets... 2x2 hold the two supports to the 40mm profile, 2x2 form a tight sandwich around the bottom monitor bezel, with some rubber underneath and black gaffer tape to reduce shock/vibration and to prevent scratching the monitor bezel)
2x HFCB5-2020-B (20x20mm end cap w/ set screw, black)
2x HFC5-2020-B (20x20mm end cap, black)
(and black 40mm end caps, if you want them)

8020.net:
4x 40-4295 (slotted bracket for attaching the VESA mount to the cross beam)
8x 40-4332 (for joining 40mm profile - for this application, I recommend these over other brackets, as they seem to withstand rotation well... this lets you use them as a tilt-adjust on the main cross beam... in my photos you see I used 4x of these and 4x of another type that don't perform as strongly)

Additional thoughts:
1) I'm very happy with the mount, and I'm not nearly as concerned about the monitor breaking now
2) The monitor location is pretty ideal, and I have a couple inches of adjustment in each direction, plus tilt, should I want it.
3) I get motion sickness with the monitor this close to my face and a strong motion profile. I didn't get this when I was driving in front of a projector screen, much further away. The combination of having the monitor so close, and having it move with the rig... well, in theory it is ideal, because it matches the car motion, but in practice my eyes have a hard time staying focused on the physically moving screen and I get sick! My personal solution is to run a reduced motion profile when using the monitor (filter out big, sweeping motions and retain jolts/accelerations), and full motion in VR.

I believe @diablo2112 has a very similarly designed mount to mine, and @HoiHman has a different design which you can see in his hardware showcase thread in this forum.

IMG_0454.jpg IMG_0455.jpg IMG_0457.jpg IMG_0458.jpg IMG_0459.jpg

@AlexN
Do you have or can you do a thread on your build please...
I like that its different too...:)

Could you do me a favor and help determine if a soundbar could be placed above or below the wheel deck with this monitor. I have a Yamaha YSP1100 model that is quite large but really good (using 42 drivers) that I want to incorporate into a build. It would need 7" clearance in height which is my concern.

The motion sickness with the screen so close is an interesting find, the question then is with the monitor on its own mount not moving with the rig would this be preferred?

Lots of professional rigs have static screens, I'm just interested to find feedback from people having tried all options.

Last edited:
@AlexN
Do you have or can you do a thread on your build please...
I like that its different...:)

The motion sickness with the screen so close is an interesting find, the question then is with the monitor on its own mount not moving with the rig would this be preferred?

Lots of professional rigs have static screens, I'm just interested to find feedback from people having tried all options.

Good idea, I'll put together a build thread when I get a chance!

I suspect I would get less sick with a static monitor, but I have not tried this yet. Having a static monitor so close concerns me, because the relative motion of your head to the monitor could be quite large (it might break some immersion?) and there's the chance of collision between the moving parts (your hands, wheel, etc.) and the monitor. A set of big triples, or a projector cave, could give similar FoV while remaining at a safer distance...

I have tried the following:
  1. Static projector screen, about 6 feet away. Very comfortable on the eyes, no motion sickness, no major loss of immersion on a motion rig, but FoV / resolution / refresh rate suffer.
  2. Ultrawide mounted very close, on the motion rig. Resolution, FoV, and refresh rate are great, as is the HDR ability. It's hard to concentrate on the screen, and there is a slight lag between in-game camera motion and the motion rig, so you can't perfectly sync them... both of these make me ill unless I turn motion down to about 50% or filter out large motions, after which I'm happy with the setup.
  3. VR without motion (but with good tactile) on a Rift - feels great, no motion sickness, but the low resolution would give me some eye strain. I also found VR to be too intense to do within a couple hours of bedtime :)
  4. VR with motion (but no tactile... yet) on an Index - feels noticeably better, and for me solves my VR complaints (except for GPU/CPU performance, which is very demanding and costly to keep up with!). What's interesting to me is that I actually prefer VR with a strong, 1:1 motion mapping (as opposed to reduced motion). This does cause the head tracking to be exaggerated (in-game camera moves about 2x as far as it should, because you have in-game + rig motion), but hasn't been a noticeable problem.

@diablo2112 @AlexN Wow was not expecting such detailed replies, thanks guys this is brilliant.

I too am very curious about having the monitor mounted static off the rig vs on. I would never want to dial down the motion to compensate. I also have TL motion with a lot more rotation than most TL setups, so I suspect this could pose a problem as well.

I think my plan will be to mount it statically to the wall in front on an arm that I can bring in close or push out of the way, and if it doesn't feel right I will proceed to attempt the rig mount. I most race in vr anyways but I am moving my rig into a corner out of view from the tv so I will need some kind of monitor over there to see what I am doing, plus there are a few non vr titles that interest me.

@diablo2112 @AlexN Wow was not expecting such detailed replies, thanks guys this is brilliant.

I too am very curious about having the monitor mounted static off the rig vs on. I would never want to dial down the motion to compensate. I also have TL motion with a lot more rotation than most TL setups, so I suspect this could pose a problem as well.

I think my plan will be to mount it statically to the wall in front on an arm that I can bring in close or push out of the way, and if it doesn't feel right I will proceed to attempt the rig mount. I most race in vr anyways but I am moving my rig into a corner out of view from the tv so I will need some kind of monitor over there to see what I am doing, plus there are a few non vr titles that interest me.

Sounds like you're in a similar situation as me - I had to move away from my projector to reclaim wall space. I'd love to hear how it goes with the wall arm mount, I was considering that as a backup plan and might still move to that if it goes well for you.

For what it's worth, I have TL as well, perhaps not as strong as yours, and the yaw motion doesn't bother me. It's the bouncing and jerking back and forth from bumps, heaves, and sudden road pitch changes that makes it hard to keep my eyes focused. My yaw motion is fairly smooth most of the time, with the occasional snap back when the tires bite, and it only kicks in when you start to get some lateral slip.

@diablo2112 yes and of course I have seen your rig on the forums, quite a sweet setup.
I liked seeing both AlexN and your solutions for the monitor, do prefer them to the solution HoiHman went with (sorry Henk). Simcraft have a good tidy example of using supporting arms which could be applied to the 49" monitor. I am not convinced yet either way what is the best option.

From an observing only perspective, I see motion rigs with more motion happening than the perspective of movement visible from the in car cockpit view of the monitor. The distance of the screen may be a factor here to the motion sickness and less an issue with a fixed screen perhaps, feel free to give more thoughts on actual user experiences.

+ Ultrawide +
What nobody seems to of done is have 1x 49" central display as the windscreen and it flanked with 2x 27" 1440p 16:9 curved Samsung monitors. Giving a width equal to 4x 16:9 for greater surround than triples. Not sure how compatible it would be with different titles but I think this may place the stretching more on the outer displays and then not affect the central 49". That too would need to be confirmed but I really dislike the stretching that is visible on this monitor if used on its own. Maybe its not as bad in usage with the curve but it looks bad in some videos.

Reducing The Pixel Count
This is one reason I was asking about using 1080p vertical res with this monitor and how it appeared in games. It may be a configuration I would like to at least try to discover if it is too extreme or enjoyable. It would be possible to have this configuration and all set to 1080p vertical res but in pixel terms be the same as 4K. This would also let a user have the 49" be used for native on its own or in desktop and then use the outer monitors for other entertainment etc.

Getting back more to this monitor.
Can owners please give more feedback on HDR, what titles use it well, which works good and those that are bad. It seems though that consoles are implementing it better even if some titles use fake HDR at times.

Last edited:
@diablo2112 Can owners please give more feedback on HDR, what titles use it well, which works good and those that are bad. It seems though that consoles are implementing it better even if some titles use fake HDR at times.

@nerdthewise uses it in HDR mode with iRacing and has said he wouldn't go back. I use it in HDR with iRacing, too, but I'm relatively new to iRacing and have only tried it during "daytime" track conditions, where the effect is less apparent.

I've tried it briefly at night time in Forza Horizon 4 and it is quite amazing. Street signs reflect your headlights back at you with high intensity and contrast vs the rest of the scene, it's breathtaking the first time you see it. Shadows cast by your headlights are impressive, too.

HDR + Windows is not as polished as HDR + Xbox One, and not all games that implement HDR on Xbox One do so on Windows. It seems to be in an acceptable state these days... the main drawback is that alt-tabbing or changing resolution (anything that toggles HDR mode) is about a 5-second black screen.

I am currently huddled in the back of a women's clothing store in what has to be the world's largest outdoor shopping mall in Osaka, Japan while my wife looks for clothes... so I'll be brief.

HDR's implementation in Windows sucks. Full stop. You can't do anything involving an on screen display with it active, so no volume or playlist adjustments while racing or the screen goes black and you crash. But as terrible as that sounds there is no going back once you try it and the HDR on this display is amazing. Particularly at night, but even in the day the colors are more vibrant and the contrast is notably higher. I am probably alone in this, but I've left the monitor at full brightness and bumped the black levels up to push the contrast slightly higher. It is mind bogglingly bright for a display. I had the 1080p version as well and the HDR here is miles better.

On the mounting, @AlexN is correct. With a standard VESA mount (simlab p1-x in my case) a quick kick of the clutch will send the monitor rocking slightly. Not the end of the world, but a big no-no with motion. I took a queue from Alex and ordered parts to add support arms beneath to hold it in place, but before I could build that Alex ordered a simucube 2 and that tipped me into ordering one as well (neither of us were terribly happy with the DD2). The new mounting requirements will send me back to the drawing board on supporting the base of the display, as well at my tablet and stream deck. Oh well, Alex:s first reports of the SC2 vs the DD2 suggest it is powered by magic and we'll worth the effort. Thanks to @diablo2112 I have the materials to build a motion rig myself now, but am waiting to see how Alex works out motion on his before I pull the trigger. He lives just down the street, so it is easy for us to share notes as we build. I've got some debts to pay after this honeymoon trip to Japan as well. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I haven't experienced much with HDR because like @nerdthewise mentioned above, windows HDR implementation sucks.

Enabling HDR makes the screen and colours go dull in desktop mode, so bad i just turned it of. Imho HDR is probably really good, but only at it's best for night races

Today i had Samsung mechanic checking out my new 49" because it had developed at rattle in side. The rattle had nothing to do with motion, but more how badly Samsung has assembled this board.

Just some general observations during the repair process.
- The whole back is clipped on could easily come loose or have brackets breaking during heavy motion
- The frame that holds the wall bracket is secured with only 2 small bolts
- The frame that holds the power supply and electronics is secured with only 2 small bolts
- The circuit board / power supply board is secured with only 2 small bolts.

The circuit board was rattling in my case, when the monitor is cold. As soon as it heats up, the rattle is gone.

Having seen the inside and how the back is mounted i can surely advice everybody to mount as much support around the monitor as you can. If you support it on the under side, make sure that the support runs all the way to the front so the frame of the monitor rests on it and not just the black plastic housing.

@Mr Latte, my support bars have actually have 3 other functions beside the standard support function
- I need them so i can securely grab the monitor when i mount it on my rig
- The top bar also holds the fan for the wind sim
- The lower brackets protect the outer edge of the monitor, when moving it very easy to hit the wall because it's so wide.

In general i recommend to support the monitor as much as you can. Every aspect of the monitor is fragile and only a sum of multiple supports will keep it secure for the long term.

@DotComRich

It's a very big YES, it's worth it. For a couple of reasons
- Being able to mount the screen really really close, directly behind the steering wheel
If you have motion you need to have a pretty big clearance between the screen and the rig.
- The screen moves with the motion, in a dark room it's almost a VR experience
- I actually have to twist my head to see the edge of the screen and need my reading glasses while driving ;)

I love F1 2019 on this monitor.

120 fps with everything on ultra is just a stunning experience.

After driving a game like F1 2019 for a couple of hours on the monitor makes it really hard to dive back into VR with it's lower resolution, image quality and frame rate.

Last edited:
Well I got in on the sale $1299 CAD on amazon a few days ago, not sure when it will arrive but I'm excited to play some titles that don't have vr like F1. Will be mounting it to my Simetik K2 with some 30/30 extrusion, I think I have a plan that will work.

I love F1 2019 on this monitor.

120 fps with everything on ultra is just a stunning experience.

After driving a game like F1 2019 for a couple of hours on the monitor makes it really hard to dive back into VR with it's lower resolution, image quality and frame rate.
Nice! I can only achieve 116 with 8ms frametimes with a couple settings dialed down on my 2080ti. I'm running a 6700k CPU though.

I wonder if your 9700k is the factor here.

Nice! I can only achieve 116 with 8ms frametimes with a couple settings dialed down on my 2080ti. I'm running a 6700k CPU though.

I wonder if your 9700k is the factor here.

Yes, it definately helped. With my 7700K i was struggling at bit and things have improved since the upgrade to the 9700K. Also having the 2080Ti overclocked also helps.

What i like the most about driving on the monitor compared to VR is the stunning graphics. The lights in Bahrein are so bright, i almost hurts my eyes when look straight into them.

Awesome graphics with great performance.

I'm so much enjoying F1 2019 on the Samsung right now :)

Other games like Far Cry New Dawn look amazing with all the rich colors, but somehow shooters have lost their appeal to me.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back