Samsung CRG9 / 49" / 32:9 Monitor (5120 x 1440 1000 HDR)

What racesims currently support HDR?
What's the difference between 8 and 10bit colour?

I know FH4 does. I think Forza 7, too. Outside of that, I'm not sure - the game developers have to intentionally add HDR support, so it's not universal.

8- vs 10-bit color refers to the number of steps you get in R, G, B... 256 vs 1024 increments. With high dynamic range, 8-bits can show visible banding, because you're now stretching those 256 steps across a wider range of brightness values. HDR10 is one of the more popular combinations, but it's technically possible to mix and match HDR with 8, 10, 12, 16 bits of color precision. Most HDR-capable displays support HDR + 10 bits or SDR + 8 bits.

Thanks, am i reading this correct?

The cable needs to be HDR compatible too?

As long as the cable meets the recent HDMI or DisplayPort specs, you should be fine. There's nothing special about HDR with regards to the cable - as far as the cable is concerned, it's no different than if you changed your monitor resolution.

HDR10 does require more bandwidth than SDR 8-bit. At the resolution of this monitor, 120Hz + 10-bit color doesn't fit into the bandwidth of the DisplayPort spec that it implements, so you have to choose between 100Hz + 10-bit or 120Hz + 8-bit.

Thanks @AlexN

I will try hooking up mine to the PC this weekend. If all goes well it should arrive tomorrow and i will be back from holiday on saturday

Great. I know @nerdthewise is very happy with his, after upgrading from the lower-resolution model. I'm planning to get one for myself at some point... also slightly concerned about the "excessive vibration may lead to fire", as I plan to mount it to my motion + tactile rig. Oh well, maybe I'll just keep a fire extinguisher handy :)

I received mine today, got it to upgrade from the 1080p version.

The picture quality is amazing, and free sync ultimate mode is working flicker free with my 2080ti. RGB 8 bit colour so I can use 120hz HDR, but even so the colours are very vibrant.

Iracing maxed out capped at 116 FPS, Raceroom the same. ACC at Epic (except shadows) getting min 70 ish FPS.

It is a fantastic monitor, I am really impressed so far.

@Spineblower

Thanks for the vid. How does your 1080TI perform with this monitor? I'm waffling back and forth between this and the 1080p model with my 1080TI and 6700k.

My 1080Ti works preaty well:
Assetto -> 70 - 120 FPS
Assetto Competizione -> 45 - 75 FPS
Dirt 2.0 -> 55 - 70 FPS
Raceroom - 110 - 120 FPS
Project cars 2 -> 60 - 100 FPS

Get 1440p model!

My 1080Ti works preaty well:
Assetto -> 70 - 120 FPS
Assetto Competizione -> 45 - 75 FPS
Dirt 2.0 -> 55 - 70 FPS
Raceroom - 110 - 120 FPS
Project cars 2 -> 60 - 100 FPS

I would say there's reason for concern. By those numbers it is fine for "old" games, but you're struggling with the new games (ACC, Dirt 2.0) and the future will only be worse. Agree, though, that if you're going to get a monitor, get the 1440p version because inevitably you'll upgrade the video card.

Kind of wish I would've waited and got this one instead of the 1080p variant, but then again my 1080ti drops below 60 fps in some sims as is so maybe I did the right thing.

Great to see and read of people enjoying this monitor.

The only thing I see odd with it but maybe not so bad when it's in front of the user is the stretching on the sides. Noticed it on several videos (bit like what happens with triples) but why does this happen on a single display if at native res? Or is it only with certain titles stretching from a 21:9 ratio?

Can someone do comparisons on how well the display works with 1080p res (3840x1080) for the more demanding titles to then get closer or achieve the 120Hz refresh.

Last edited:
Can anyone please confirm how well the monitor works when using a lower 3840*1080p based vertical res. Also what the increase in framerate is compared to native res with the hardware they use.

Its something I have queried for sometime but cannot find videos or reviews covering for those that simply will expect a 1070 or 1080 based card to struggle with such an increased resolution.

Can anyone please confirm how well the monitor works when using a lower 3840*1080p based vertical res. Also what the increase in framerate is compared to native res with the hardware they use.

Its something I have queried for sometime but cannot find videos or reviews covering for those that simply will expect a 1070 or 1080 based card to struggle with such an increased resolution.
Visually it still looks great. I've run my PS4 directly to it in the 1080p resolution and was happy.

Just to be sure, i'll try a lower res on some PC games tonight for you if I can find time.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but: 1080Ti, pCars2 at 5120x1440, settings at max, medium AA, no supersampling, gives me in the 90-110 FPS range when driving alone. Better than I was expecting.

The RTings review mentions that lag at non-native resolutions is very low, equivalent to native resolution.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back