Samsung 2020 - G7 & G9 1000R Monitors

Mr Latte

Premium
It seems a long way since CES 2020 in Jan when these were first announced and shown.
G7 as of writing appears to be available to order and G9 is to ship from mid-July.

I am currently building a cockpit to incorporate the 49" model, but have had mixed thoughts on going with this incredible looking 1000R display or the new CX OLED 48" TV.

In fairness, I have been swaying towards this 49" Super Ultrawide format with it suiting sim racing and good with multi-tasking and no borders or hassle with multi-screens.

I personally intend to wait however to later in the year as a few months after release we can usually see from previous versions they drop a couple of hundred quid @ £1100 to about £1000.

Last year's model was well-received by owners so it should be a superb display with the new improvements it brings. 1000R with apparently faster response and official Nvidia Gsync seems to be the more interesting factors.

Will be interesting to see upcoming reviews on these rather exciting looking displays. I wonder too if some would consider triple G7 monitors?

If interested feel free to discuss or share your own thoughts and user opinions if you buy.

G9 49"

Info:

Intro:

C49G95T
Product Detail:

G7 32" & 27"
Info:

Intro:

C32G75T
Product Detail 32"

C27G75T
Product Detail 27"

Additional Info:

Last edited:
My LC49RG90 has suffered a fatal accident. :(

Good thing is that this happened in the "black friday weekend" and... i have insurance.

Right then i did not know what to choose : Another LC49RG90 or the C9.

So i ordered both :D and will send one back. The LC49RG90 has already been delivered, but will stay in it's closed box until the C9 arrives. Should be delivered within a week from now.

I hope they don't cancel my order since i got a pretty good deal on it : Only € 1299,- and one hour later the price was back up to € 1445,- again.
I ordered my G9 on 30th of November, still no delivery date....You might beat me to it. ;)

Upvote 0
I ordered my G9 on 30th of November, still no delivery date....You might beat me to it. ;)

I really hope it comes soon since my LC49RG90 is toast and i have to RMA my Index for warranty.

If it takes too long i might be forced to open up the box of the LC49RG90 they delivered yesterday and once it's mounted on the motion rig, i have to stick with it.

Upvote 0
The G9 arrived today. Wifey helped mounting it to the rig. :)
I received an August model (N8), so a new-ish one.
It is a LC49G93TSSUXEN, there are G94s and G95s on the market, no idea what the difference is

First impressions (1440p) vs. the HG90 (1080p):
  • The upped resolution is a real treat in windows and apps. If I would do more photo editing or other content creation stuff on this machine It would be a real benefit.
  • Picture settings out of the box are pretty solid. I'm on the more "warm" side, so adjusted to my liking
  • Had to completely de- and reinstall the drivers for GFX card and monitor to get G-Sync to work
  • Updated the Firmware from 1005.2 to 1008.1
  • Suprised that the good old GTX1070 can handle the 1440p in ACC with not too shabby fps. Still waiting for the RTX3080.
  • Now with "real" G-Sync it works really well also below 50 fps. With the HG90 I had to stay above 55 fps to get it to work. The sweet spot is still above 50 fps I think.
  • I really hate the gloss white finish. The matte black of the HG90 was SOOOOOOOOOO much better. Did I already mention that I hate the white? Really thought about a black wrapping....
  • The higher res in ACC brings much more detail compared to the 1080 pix. Maybe the shortcomings of the UE4 engine become more apparent now. Didn't feel the need to change projection correction. Still on single monitor settings.
  • The 1000R curvature does not feel like a big difference to the 1800R

Preliminary verdict:
  • Works as intended
  • A proper piece of kit, but costly
  • Is it worth the upgrade from the HG90 to the G9? Depends.

If you want proper G-Sync and higher res, the G9 might be worth a look.​
If you couldn't care less about G-sync I would look at getting a RG90 for far less money (<900€)​
If you already have the HG90 or RG90 and money you're short on money, invest into something else​

If I have some more points, I'll let you know. So far I'm not really sure I did the right thing to spend the 1350€ on the thing. That said, the monitor is fine as is! Maybe a bit bummed the difference is not bigger. Or I have to accustom myself to the new setup.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Confused on "real G-Sync" (it's G-Sync compatible FreeSync) and how it works below 50 fps if per NVidia VRR is 60-240hz, or you just don't get flickering at 50hz as on older model. You can test if VRR is working at this framerate using NVidia Pendulum Demo https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/community/demos/#!/g-sync

And VRR spec
1607463931541.png

Upvote 0
@DrRob
Thanks for your first impressions:thumbsup:

Since i accidentally broke my LC49RG90 10 days ago i much needed a replacement.

I got a good deal on a Odyssey G9, but wasn't sure that they would actually deliver it. Because of the blackfriday deals i also ordered a LC49RG90. The LC49RG90 was delivered 9 days ago and after calling today with the webshop, i found out that they still could not give me an estimate when the G9 will be delivered. So i cancelled it

So i had to decide to either keep the LC49RG90 or order another C9 at a higher price.

I made the decision to keep the RG90 because:
- I still need to get my money back from the C9 and if i were to other another C9 and send the RG49 back, it would a total temporary investment of almost 4 grand until i get both orders refunded, which is too much to be honest.
- The 1000R curve would prevent me from tilting the monitor down enough, since it would come in contact with my dashboard
- The RG has a proven reliability and has survived a 16 months long ride on the SFX100 motion rig. I'm not sure the C9, which is even more cutting edge, is as strong to take such this beating.:D
- I can strip the parts that are still good from the old RG and use them for spare parts.
-I was almost crazy enough to mount a € 1500 monitor on the motion rig, but it's better to take that risk with a monitor that costs € 500,- less.

I was very glad to hear that the difference of perception of the curve is not that big, since that's the only reason why i wanted the Odyssey G9. I just can see myself getting 240 fps in the near future anyway.

Still i did have a bad feeling after making the decision today, really wanted the latest and most high-end.

Until i read your initial impressions

So thanks again :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Confused on "real G-Sync" (it's G-Sync compatible FreeSync) and how it works below 50 fps if per NVidia VRR is 60-240hz, or you just don't get flickering at 50hz as on older model. You can test if VRR is working at this framerate using NVidia Pendulum Demo https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/community/demos/#!/g-sync

And VRR spec
View attachment 425550
i used the pendulum demo to confirm. I'm not that technical on the G-Sync compatibility tbh. I noticed a real smooth motion down to 50 fps. Further down it gets a bit stuttery. BTW less noticeable in ACC for example.
Just noticed that the brightness flickering is gone now with the G9 and it is less sensitive to dips below 50 fps in G-sync. I am very sensitive to flickering, non-synced images and tearing, etc.
The G9 IS a step up from the HG90 in that regard. Albeit the HG90 did well considering it shouldn't work in G-sync mode.

Upvote 0
@DrRob
Still i did have a bad feeling after making the decision today, really wanted the latest and most high-end.

Until i read your initial impressions

So thanks again :)
I think that was the sensible choice! You certainly didn't do wrong there.
Don't want to bash the G9, but the upgrade in performance is less than the "upgrade in price" suggests. :laugh:

Upvote 0

You alway see these posts from triple screen users about the distortion of the image at the edges of the 49" screens

I used to have triples and i was bothered more by the transition between the 2 screens which transforms a straight line always into a line with an angle. There's also always a slight difference in image rendering, colour, brightness and viewing angle between the 3 monitors.

Although i hate bezels i would personally prefer a thin bezel there over a big washed out area that especially stands out looking at the sky.

Upvote 0
@HoiHman: Maybe not only for me but also others one of the main points pro ultrawide and contra triples is the usage. If you want to use the monitor setup for more than just simracing but other games and even content creation you'll get much more out of an ultrawide.

The only real gripe I have with the ultrawide is that I do not have the same surrounding feel as I would have with triples. Granted, my whole field of view is filled by the ultrawide, but you will not see any content if you look left and right beyond that of course (overtaking scenario for example.) I used a head tracker (EdTracker WiFi) to compensate to some extent, but that didn't feel natural to me. Maybe I will revisit that over the winter break...hmmm...

Agree to your point: Small bezels would be preferred over the bezel-free kit.
Although it can look quite acceptable:
Haven't seen it in person though.

Upvote 0
You alway see these posts from triple screen users about the distortion of the image at the edges of the 49" screens

I used to have triples and i was bothered more by the transition between the 2 screens which transforms a straight line always into a line with an angle. There's also always a slight difference in image rendering, colour, brightness and viewing angle between the 3 monitors.

Although i hate bezels i would personally prefer a thin bezel there over a big washed out area that especially stands out looking at the sky.

I'm just showing options for these G7 & G9 monitors. The triple 32" does look impressive offering HDR 600 and upto 240Hz. We can see that a top gaming system are now able to handle triple 1440p with good framerates. From an immersion perspective, this is probably the current best approach regards displays even if it brings more hassle and costs.

On the other hand, I've yet to read of any comments in here of how easier ran titles like i-racing feel at 240Hz on a G9 compared to 120-144Hz. That's something I would be interested in seeing or getting user feedback on particularly on lateral direction changes or track sections like chicanes and following other cars.

The 1000R looks a lot cooler but how much of a benefit that additional curve is over the preceding monitor, well yeah we can question how much of an upgrade it really brings and if over the 120Hz range in sim racing is just meh or noticeable addition? These factors are what determines how much an upgrade the G9 is or indeed isn't really bringing.

Triple Issus:
I cant speak personally about the bezel kit with these displays. However these have much better viewing angles than TN or some other monitors in the past. What we can do however is see that a lot of people with triples buy these kits and so far from what I can tell people tend to recommend them rather than being disappointed with them regards color grading or it generally looking worse. What we do see is people interested in making recordings of their driving it greatly improves how well the immersion of the game is presented.

Excellent, prime examples

I think placing any monitor on your motion is throwing the dice for the chance of failure but some seem willing to take that chance. My belief is, the motion from within the cockpit view is not 100% tied into the motion of the rig, so I think it's just a personal preference thing having the screen move on a motion rig.

However, it seems plausible that an ultrawide display or indeed triple small screens set/fixed as static with using a moving motion system would be vertically limited often moving the user's focus away from the central area of the screens. In some regards larger displays configured as static have less issue with this. We see this from trade shows and many of the leading motion rig builders.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The G9 arrived today. Wifey helped mounting it to the rig. :)
I received an August model (N8), so a new-ish one.
It is a LC49G93TSSUXEN, there are G94s and G95s on the market, no idea what the difference is

First impressions (1440p) vs. the HG90 (1080p):
  • The upped resolution is a real treat in windows and apps. If I would do more photo editing or other content creation stuff on this machine It would be a real benefit.
  • Picture settings out of the box are pretty solid. I'm on the more "warm" side, so adjusted to my liking
  • Had to completely de- and reinstall the drivers for GFX card and monitor to get G-Sync to work
  • Updated the Firmware from 1005.2 to 1008.1
  • Suprised that the good old GTX1070 can handle the 1440p in ACC with not too shabby fps. Still waiting for the RTX3080.
  • Now with "real" G-Sync it works really well also below 50 fps. With the HG90 I had to stay above 55 fps to get it to work. The sweet spot is still above 50 fps I think.
  • I really hate the gloss white finish. The matte black of the HG90 was SOOOOOOOOOO much better. Did I already mention that I hate the white? Really thought about a black wrapping....
  • The higher res in ACC brings much more detail compared to the 1080 pix. Maybe the shortcomings of the UE4 engine become more apparent now. Didn't feel the need to change projection correction. Still on single monitor settings.
  • The 1000R curvature does not feel like a big difference to the 1800R

Preliminary verdict:
  • Works as intended
  • A proper piece of kit, but costly
  • Is it worth the upgrade from the HG90 to the G9? Depends.

If you want proper G-Sync and higher res, the G9 might be worth a look.​
If you couldn't care less about G-sync I would look at getting a RG90 for far less money (<900€)​
If you already have the HG90 or RG90 and money you're short on money, invest into something else​

If I have some more points, I'll let you know. So far I'm not really sure I did the right thing to spend the 1350€ on the thing. That said, the monitor is fine as is! Maybe a bit bummed the difference is not bigger. Or I have to accustom myself to the new setup.

Thanks rob for the review,
A few questions :

1/ what about heating ?

2/ that s the main point for me : distortion ? A few cockpit pics in ACC would be greatly appreciated

3/ i have the 49 in 1080 p how about the in game jump to 1440 p, noticable ? Game changer ?

thanks !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks rob for the review,
A few questions :

1/ what about heating ?

2/ that s the main point for me : distortion ? A few cockpit pics in ACC would be greatly appreciated

3/ i have the 49 in 1080 p how about the in game jump to 1440 p, noticable ? Game changer ?

thanks !
Hi Nico,

I reduced the brightness and contrast as it was literally blinding me everytime (I can share my settings later). I'm mostly simming in dim light. I could not notice any higher heat coming either from the back or the panel towards where I'm sitting compared to the HG90. All the crackling issues of the plastics I read about didn't happen for me (so far). I'll keep my eye on that.

Sure, I could snap some pics and add them to the thread. Honestly speaking I do not see a difference in distortion to the HG90. As I said I kept the projection distortion slider at 0.7. Theoretically the 1000R curve should be beneficial compared to the 1800R regarding viewing distance as it would not change as much as you go around the curvature (distance eyes - screen).

The jump from 1080p to 1440p is noticeable. There is much more detail especially in the cockpit and directly in front of your car. The UE4 engine unfortunately seems to be a bit blurry and blocky even at 1440p at larger distances. I was hoping that it would improve clarity regarding cars and objects in the distance. Still it seems kind of lower res and AA produces some small jaggies and flickering. I read about this before on the forums and it really appears to be a quirk of the engine. Of course less apparent the more you crank up the overall resolution - next stop 4k ultrawide :roflmao:.
But all in all the experience is great. Not sure if it is really worth the price tag if you already own an ultrawide, as I was pointing out earlier.
And now I need more horsepower to properly take advantage of the higher resolution at max. detail settings (again a substantial invest needed).....oh, well.

For me a real game changer would be 4K 32" triples without any visible bezels. Compared to the G9 you can get almost the same experience with the HG90 and the especially the RG90. If you're coming from higher-res monitors you should avoid the HG90 as the DPI is really low. For me it was less of a problem in the beginning, but ... if you see the high-res screenshot and videos on the net....it kept me wanting. :cool:

Upvote 0
Hi Nico,

I reduced the brightness and contrast as it was literally blinding me everytime (I can share my settings later). I'm mostly simming in dim light. I could not notice any higher heat coming either from the back or the panel towards where I'm sitting compared to the HG90. All the crackling issues of the plastics I read about didn't happen for me (so far). I'll keep my eye on that.

Sure, I could snap some pics and add them to the thread. Honestly speaking I do not see a difference in distortion to the HG90. As I said I kept the projection distortion slider at 0.7. Theoretically the 1000R curve should be beneficial compared to the 1800R regarding viewing distance as it would not change as much as you go around the curvature (distance eyes - screen).

The jump from 1080p to 1440p is noticeable. There is much more detail especially in the cockpit and directly in front of your car. The UE4 engine unfortunately seems to be a bit blurry and blocky even at 1440p at larger distances. I was hoping that it would improve clarity regarding cars and objects in the distance. Still it seems kind of lower res and AA produces some small jaggies and flickering. I read about this before on the forums and it really appears to be a quirk of the engine. Of course less apparent the more you crank up the overall resolution - next stop 4k ultrawide :roflmao:.
But all in all the experience is great. Not sure if it is really worth the price tag if you already own an ultrawide, as I was pointing out earlier.
And now I need more horsepower to properly take advantage of the higher resolution at max. detail settings (again a substantial invest needed).....oh, well.

For me a real game changer would be 4K 32" triples without any visible bezels. Compared to the G9 you can get almost the same experience with the HG90 and the especially the RG90. If you're coming from higher-res monitors you should avoid the HG90 as the DPI is really low. For me it was less of a problem in the beginning, but ... if you see the high-res screenshot and videos on the net....it kept me wanting. :cool:

thanks you so much for your answers
I m coming from the same set up than yours ( 1070 graphic card and 1080 p 32/9 Samsung)
I think i will just settle on the rg 90, i don ´t think my old eyes will notice sommething above 120 fps anyway, and like you my old taste hate this white finish with a passion.
Besides that the 1000 r curvature always seemed geemeky to me.
Still taking those cockpit pics

Upvote 0
I think it is a sensible choice to go for the RG90, @Nicoboks .
The only real benefit the G9 had (for me) was the G-sync compatibility.
With the GTX1070 I barely reach 45-75 FPS in ACC, which is (mostly) buttery smooth with G-Sync.
The HG90 could mimik G-sync but with artifacts (occasional luma pumping / flashing)
That 120Hz / 240 Hz is not usable for me anyway unless I play some older games.
Pics incoming later today....

Upvote 0
Ok, so first attempt to give you a screenshot and unedited pictures made with a DSLR (the unsharpness at the edges is due to the camera lens, sorry).
Screenshot
DSLR from ~POV but wide angle obv.
DSLR close up normal view
DSLR close up full "look left"
DSLR Monitor Menu brightness/contrast
DSLR Monitor Menu colours

The two close ups are normal view and on "look left". The oval/round shape of the safety net hanger does not change. So identical at different points of the curved screen, obviously both at the inside where distortion would be the biggest.

Then two shots of my brightness/contrast/colour settings.

If you'd like to see something else, I'd be happy to do more screenshots or photographs.

[EDIT: On closer view I could up the projection distortion a bit]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, so first attempt to give you a screenshot and unedited pictures made with a DSLR (the unsharpness at the edges is due to the camera lens, sorry).
Screenshot
DSLR from ~POV but wide angle obv.
DSLR close up normal view
DSLR close up full "look left"
DSLR Monitor Menu brightness/contrast
DSLR Monitor Menu colours

The two close ups are normal view and on "look left". The oval/round shape of the safety net hanger does not change. So identical at different points of the curved screen, obviously both at the inside where distortion would be the biggest.

Then two shots of my brightness/contrast/colour settings.

If you'd like to see something else, I'd be happy to do more screenshots or photographs.

[EDIT: On closer view I could up the projection distortion a bit]

Thanks you for taking the time
Looking good !

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 8 17.0%