Samsung 2020 - G7 & G9 1000R Monitors

Mr Latte

Premium
It seems a long way since CES 2020 in Jan when these were first announced and shown.
G7 as of writing appears to be available to order and G9 is to ship from mid-July.

I am currently building a cockpit to incorporate the 49" model, but have had mixed thoughts on going with this incredible looking 1000R display or the new CX OLED 48" TV.

In fairness, I have been swaying towards this 49" Super Ultrawide format with it suiting sim racing and good with multi-tasking and no borders or hassle with multi-screens.

I personally intend to wait however to later in the year as a few months after release we can usually see from previous versions they drop a couple of hundred quid @ £1100 to about £1000.

Last year's model was well-received by owners so it should be a superb display with the new improvements it brings. 1000R with apparently faster response and official Nvidia Gsync seems to be the more interesting factors.

Will be interesting to see upcoming reviews on these rather exciting looking displays. I wonder too if some would consider triple G7 monitors?

If interested feel free to discuss or share your own thoughts and user opinions if you buy.

G9 49"

Info:

Intro:

C49G95T
Product Detail:

G7 32" & 27"
Info:

Intro:

C32G75T
Product Detail 32"

C27G75T
Product Detail 27"

Additional Info:

Last edited:
Guys, I have the standard 1800r Samsung with 49" (3840x1080).

Without distortion correction you get a stretched image towards the right and left side of the screen. That is to be expected. Games are optimized for flat screens not curved screens. Otherwise the picture would be distorted on any non-curved screen. The wider your monitor gets, the more distortion you would see.

I could not notice any hit in performance neither with distortion correction nor triple screen feature in ACC (GTX1070). Also I cannot see any significant difference in picture quality in both modes compared to non-corrected.

I do not play any other titles, so no idea there.

Upvote 0

Without distortion correction you get a stretched image towards the right and left side of the screen. That is to be expected. Games are optimized for flat screens not curved screens. Otherwise the picture would be distorted on any non-curved screen. The wider your monitor gets, the more distortion you would see.

I could not notice any hit in performance neither with distortion correction nor triple screen feature in ACC (GTX1070). Also I cannot see any significant difference in picture quality in both modes compared to non-corrected.

I have the same graphic card so maybe it’s placebo effect or i did something wrong, i will definitlly try again.
Besides iracing and acc you cannot adjust distorsion in other games i think. ( rf2 am2..)
Really excited by this screen just waintin for nvidia New 3 séries graphics card to pull the trigger

Upvote 0

I like what ACC does with distortion, but too much and you loose definition in text and textures, and vertical fov is reduced too.

About distortion in curved paneles, its not the curve, is the horizontal plane being too large. You have the same distortion in the New G9 than in 2 flat monitors with the same res, its a matter of FOV/POV.

Upvote 0

Distortion correction in game? Or is there another program to look after it?

Upvote 0
@alfye20: Never noticed any loss in definition. I use distortion correction with a 0.6 factor. Please remember that I have the lower resolution CHG90. Maybe less evident because of already overall low dpi.

@norbs : That's ingame. I wouldn't know of any other program to be honest, sorry.

Upvote 0
@alfye20: Never noticed any loss in definition. I use distortion correction with a 0.6 factor. Please remember that I have the lower resolution CHG90. Maybe less evident because of already overall low dpi.

@norbs : That's ingame. I wouldn't know of any other program to be honest, sorry.

Me too, HG90 here, and if you overdo Distortion Correction you can clearly se that virtual mirror is cut in half, and dashboard text, numbers, and distan objects loses definition, It's like being short-sighted without glasses

Upvote 0
Me too, HG90 here, and if you overdo Distortion Correction you can clearly se that virtual mirror is cut in half, and dashboard text, numbers, and distan objects loses definition, It's like being short-sighted without glasses
Interesting. Maybe I am less sensitive, but initially I really tested this up to distortion correction of 1.0 (max). Compared no correction, distortion correction, triple screen.
There were some differences but deemed them as marginal. Could be seen on the main display for example if you looked closely enough. Like you said, some kind of unsharpness.
I am not a pixel peeper though, gave up on that long time ago. :geek:

During normal gameplay I didn't notice and completely forgot about it until you mentioned it here. :roflmao:
I was more put off by the ridiculously stretched image. I gladly take some small blurriness for correct distortion correction.

BTW: I use Reshades Luma sharpening feature, maybe this levels it out a bit.

Upvote 0
My metoth to adjust distortion is to stop near an ambulance or other stopped car in box just to see any of its tires in the very edge of the screen, then adjust Distortion to achieve a round tire.

Edit:
@DrRob Talking about ACC, Do you see strange artifacts when in triple screen rendering? I can clearly see some kind of grainy seams where every virtual screen meets the other, its noticeable when moving and is disturbing when turning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@alfye20 I'm sorry, I just did a quick check back when the feature was introduced in ACC. Can't remember if there was something as you described.
Didn't see an advantage both visually and performance wise and reverted back to distortion correction in single screen mode. Never went back.

Upvote 0
Well
I installed my new 3080 card last night
This Samsung G9 on the current Nvidia drivers does not work at 240hz

it works just fine at 120hz
It’s a known issue with it,

also this 3080 card
AC I’m seeing a 20fps drop at 120hz settings, 2080ti 160fps, 3080 140-143

ACC I’m seeing 3080-105fps @120hz
2080ti 85fps @120hz

tbh if you have a rtx 2080ti I wouldn’t bother with the 3080 cards with this SamsungG9

my rtx 2080ti run the screen at 240hz both in the Nvidia control panel + my screen settings with Gsync enabled

I’m seeing roughly a 12-15% performance gain if that with no drivers installed just using the gpu driver

with the latest 07/10/2020 drivers the performance is even worse they turned down the 3080 cards,

save your money :D

Upvote 0

Sweet. Gives a fov of 45, which is about what I was running. Although the aspect ratio is incorrect, so I don't know if that affects it.

edit-Aspect is adjustable. My bad.

edit #2 fov of 28?...holy ****.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@CC Thank you very much for your insight. I was mulling about the combination of 3080 and G9, too.
I currently have a 1070 and the CH90.

In ACC I use a visual projection correction of 0.6 for the 1800 curvage of the monitor to prevent a stretched image to the sides.
Could you make do with a max of 1.0 in this setting with the 1000 curvage of the G9 without seeing a stretched image?
Or did you use the triple monitor option with the G9 (it works too). I didn't notice any performance penalties with my monitor.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea