Samsung 2020 - G7 & G9 1000R Monitors

Mr Latte

Premium
It seems a long way since CES 2020 in Jan when these were first announced and shown.
G7 as of writing appears to be available to order and G9 is to ship from mid-July.

I am currently building a cockpit to incorporate the 49" model, but have had mixed thoughts on going with this incredible looking 1000R display or the new CX OLED 48" TV.

In fairness, I have been swaying towards this 49" Super Ultrawide format with it suiting sim racing and good with multi-tasking and no borders or hassle with multi-screens.

I personally intend to wait however to later in the year as a few months after release we can usually see from previous versions they drop a couple of hundred quid @ £1100 to about £1000.

Last year's model was well-received by owners so it should be a superb display with the new improvements it brings. 1000R with apparently faster response and official Nvidia Gsync seems to be the more interesting factors.

Will be interesting to see upcoming reviews on these rather exciting looking displays. I wonder too if some would consider triple G7 monitors?

If interested feel free to discuss or share your own thoughts and user opinions if you buy.

G9 49"

Info:

Intro:

C49G95T
Product Detail:

G7 32" & 27"
Info:

Intro:

C32G75T
Product Detail 32"

C27G75T
Product Detail 27"

Additional Info:

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Depends, not everyone can comfortably focus at such close distance, reason wheel extensions are popular.

Upvote 0
Cockpit view still seems too restricted/limited comparing to triples. :(
Also, is their some weird distortion going on, look at the pillar size and mirror?
In ACC there is a distortion correction. Or you could use triple screen feature also with the Samsung UW.
Either Iracing doesn't have the feature or the guy doesn't know (or care) how to use it.

Regarding surround view using an UW compared to triples will always be a compromise. The question is if you can live with it.

Upvote 0
I have 3 of the Samsung G7 32in models (unopened) but I'm not sure if I should keep or return them as I've seen people saying the display distortion would be a nightmare on them owing to how deep the curve is. Don't really want to risk losing over £1500 on monitors that won't be fit for their intended purpose (triple screen sim racing).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you joking the curve on those might just be awesome. Excited to see so please consider.
Also, why can't you return (at own cost) within your consumer rights (assuming you purchased online) if they are unsuitable?

Upvote 0
Are you joking the curve on those would be awesome. Excited to see so please consider.
Also, why can't you return (at own cost) within your consumer rights if they unsuitable?

On paper yes, awesome but again I don't know a great deal about this stuff and info online is spotty at best. When you have people saying "Oh, triples would be terrible with that kind of curve" or "The display distortion would be horrible on those things" it shakes your confidence. Even guides to setup triple screens, most make no mention of whether the curve adds extra considerations and none with a curve this deep. I don't wanna be the guinea pig because if they offer a terrible experience in triple formation I'm lumbered with over £1500 of monitors that can't be used in the way they were intended to be used and I can't afford to buy more. I don't have the desk or floor space to try them right now and Trak Racer are taking their sweet ass time getting me my TR160.

Upvote 0
So you spent £1500 on 3 monitors you have no room yet to enjoy and your not even sure if you will enjoy them?

I would find a way to test them and if not happy, sell them and make a profit as demand for these is high and stocks are low. The 32" should be ideal and offer a much nicer surround visual experience than 3 canted monitors.

Some people used to spend a lot of money on building multi-projector based dome screens and using custom software. So I think the curve will add to the immersion and not take away from it but it may be something you cant tell unless you discover for yourself.

Upvote 0
So you spent £1500 on 3 monitors you have no room yet to enjoy and your not even sure if you will enjoy them?

I would find a way to test them and if not happy, sell them and make a profit as demand for these is high and stocks are low. The 32" should be ideal and offer a much nicer surround visual experience than 3 canted monitors.

Some people used to spend a lot of money on building multi-projector based dome screens and using custom software.

Yeah, I grabbed them as they were going much cheaper than they are now. Right now if I were to buy 3 of the 32in models i'd be looking at closer to £1900 (like £630 per item compared to the £510 i paid). My current space situation is like... It's like a Rubik's cube. To move one thing I'd end up having to move a load of other things as well in an area which is on the limit space wise (not to mention it weighs a ton and I don't wanna ruin my back again). I am wondering also if that Asus Bezel Free kit could help in any way. Would have been so much easier if Trak Racer had of got their s**t together, ordered my rig nearly 2 months ago..

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

This is very valid concern.
Curved monitors are designed for optimal viewing position with the eyes smack-dab in the middle of screen. Moving slightly left or right will distort the image, reason all big TV manufacturers stopped making them. I can only imagine severity of the distortion with side monitors at 45 degree.

Upvote 0
This is very valid concern.
Curved monitors are designed for optimal seating positing with the eye view smack-dab in the middle of screen. Moving slightly left or right will distort the image, reason all big TV manufacturers stopped making them. I can only imagine severity of the distortion with side monitors at 45 degree.

Well some basic FOV calculations based on size has an physical ideal setting at 60-61 degrees.

Upvote 0
In ACC there is a distortion correction. Or you could use triple screen feature also with the Samsung UW.
Either Iracing doesn't have the feature or the guy doesn't know (or care) how to use it.

Regarding surround view using an UW compared to triples will always be a compromise. The question is if you can live with it.

problem is that the distortion correction have a big effect on the performance and the way the game looks i find.
I'd love to buy this monitor but i m really on the fence because of the curvature it has, MY 49 is 1800 and distortion is already noticable on 1000R i m afraid it could be a game breaker

Upvote 0
If anything curved screens would reduce the distortion.

Whether or not the image can be corrected to the curved screen is the question.

Below is the setup for the perfect radius with a triple G7.

The circle is your head. Screen needs to be 915mm from your eyes.

Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 10.50.40.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play