• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured rFactor 2: The Big Interview (Part 4)

Discussion in 'rFactor 2' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jul 10, 2019 at 12:06.

1. frankis

frankis

Ratings:
    +7
    "RD: (question from @frankis) - Would it be possible to make that once that you've set your seat position, mirrors and ffb settings for one skin in particular the same configuration apply for the rest of skins?

MO: I am guessing here that when you say “skin” you are talking about “vehicle” and would like to be able to apply the configuration for, for example, the #3 Corvette to the #4 Corvette? That data is currently stored in the “all_vehicles.ini” in your player folder. It’s a text file and you can (once you understand the meaning of the file) copy the configuration from one car to the next. I guess that if there is enough interest in this, we could also expose this in the UI, but for now, that text file is your best bet!

Well I really hope that you sort that out with the new UI.
    I don't see the point to go configuring files to do something that every other sim does by default.
    Is so annoying once you've set one vehicle you have to repeat the operation when you change for another . Even more so in rF2 where the mirrors, out of the box, are usually pointing to the stars.

One parameter that I consider very important too is the ffb, both the strength and the smoothness. It takes time to configure it to your like. And when after some time you try the same car again, and you can't remember what vehicle you used, you have to start from the scratch.

• Agree Agree x 17
  2. Flip-Flop Driver

Flip-Flop Driver

Ratings:
    +63
    The only thing that bothers me in the visuals in comparison to other games is the lack of lock to horizon instead of the stabilize horizon which seems like a design choice.
    Unfortunately I think it is set in stone. :(

3. pcraenme

pcraenme
    Premium

Ratings:
    +186
    Thanks again @Paul Jeffrey for all the work doing this 4 part interview and @Marcel Offermans for answering all these questions. Good to hear there are at least a few years of development left for rF2. Already much to look forward to with the new UI, Nurburgring/Nordschleife and 3 surprise cars. GT4 pack maybe? Porsche, McLaren, Chevrolet, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Aston Martin are all existing manufacturers in rF2 with GT4 cars.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans
    Studio 397

Ratings:
    +1,831
    I'll try to answer that question, but since still need to celebrate our 3rd birthday, I am not sure how successful I will be at predicting where we will stand in 5 years from now (given that I spectacularly misjudged where we are today, in a much better position than we planned for).

First of all, I'm going to answer this from a Studio 397 perspective, which means we won't just talk about rFactor 2. In 5 years from now hardware will have evolved significantly. Our goals will be to build on our expertise in simulation, building environments and racing cars and both grow and broaden our business. We grew from roughly 10 to over 30 people, I imagine by then we will have over 100 people working at the Studio. Our competition infrastructure will be key to that growth. In short, we want to be the company people go to when they want accurately modeled racing cars competing in esports events big and small all over the world.

That's about as specific as I am comfortable getting right now, and when we look back in 5 years from now I am sure that I will have been very wrong again! ;)

• Like Like x 16
    • Beer Beer x 13
    • Love Love x 3
  5. Rui Santos

Rui Santos

Ratings:
    +196
    My hope for the future of simracing is that those guys at some point will do another simulation software! Thank you so much guys! Simulation racing is guaranteed for more 20 years maybe :D

6. Chris Partridge

Chris Partridge
    Premium

Ratings:
    +176
    Hi Marcel - thank you for this and for me it’s the big “Take Out” fact in all of this - that is positioning the sim at the forefront of eSports in the future. It’s a great focus and surely one which is ever growing as a genre. And we all get to reap the rewards too.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Leynad777

Leynad777
    Premium

Ratings:
    +204
    I wasn't talking about some Nissan GTR type of cars rather than the ultimate McLaren P1 or the Senna. From what Chris Harris and others like Nico Rosberg are saying, the P1 is just the ultimate driver-weapon far more lively and difficult to drive than any race-cars today (minus Formula E maybe). pCars 2 did a great job with the P1, but rF2 could do this better and it might open other doors as well;)
    PS: And please make a proper Radical SR8 unlike iRacing...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019 at 23:16
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. numbersevenhull

numbersevenhull
    Premium

Ratings:
    +153
    The moment you realise you've spend more time reading these Q&A's over the last fortnight than actually playing the game :unsure:

Thanks all and Marcel for taking the time to contribute, some really interesting questions and a seriously long to do list for S397 haha. Same time same place next year? :)

(PS just a follow up question re my hosting game sessions @Marcel Offermans - my user case was I just wanted to race with 3 friends with a field filled out with AI. The solution was to host from the machine I played from rather than a second PC acting as a dedicated server, and this was fine. I'm slightly confused as to why the game couldn't simply use the ports specified by Steam so as not to have to go through the horrors of port forwarding? Would this not offer a simple click/host/play solution for scenarios such as mine?)

• Like Like x 4
    • Haha Haha x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  9. Paulo Mendonça

Paulo Mendonça

Ratings:
    +28
    Yeah this particular bit I find a little controversial as messing with text files is far from "making the sim more accessible". In my eyes, thinking about different skins as different vehicles is strange as well since everything that we care about one of those vehicles should transfer between skins automatically, unless skins can have different mirror/seat placements. Just can't see the reasoning, that's all.

Another thing is they mentioned hunting for hard-to-find bugs, little stutters that probably a small percentage of users have. And some other glaring issues like pace car and AI behaviors that are, in a way, easier to find, right on your nose kind of issues, are being postponed. In my opinion these issues should be prioritized and brought forward. From a business point of view it makes much more sense to fix AI issues before investing too much time hunting for that missing 1% of performance.

Other than that, really like the game and I always purchase all the content to support the devs, hoping for further improvements. Waiting patiently for Nords as well as these mysterious new 3 cars. Also like the focus on competition an eSports and how this opens up for relations with leagues and brands.

Best of luck for S397 going forward!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
  10. Jean Vivien

Jean Vivien

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any plans on adding Ferrari GT3 and GTE 's
    Ford GT GTE

Also NSX GT3, Lexus GT3.

Would be great to have the full grid with those cars.

Ferrari in particular

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Ace King

Ace King

Ratings:
    +289
    United Racing Design (URD) released a nice representation of the Ford GT known as Detroit.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. Tar Heel

Tar Heel

Ratings:
    +99
    He's already said in past interviews they are focused on racing cars

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tar Heel

Tar Heel

Ratings:
    +99
    Also has "DPi" I believe for the Oreca

• Like Like x 1
  14. marvelharvey

marvelharvey

Ratings:
    +8
    @TheRock64 Are you asking for changing the safety car vehicle itself, speed, number of laps before green etc? If so, it's already possible... just in a highly convoluted way, tucked inside the All Tracks & Cars_10.mas file.
    @Marcel Offermans
    It'd be lovely if these variables could be adjusted from within the new UI at some point in the future.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Tar Heel

Tar Heel

Ratings:
    +99
    I think OP wanted a new car for the safety car as the Corvette is quite dated looking

• Haha Haha x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. davehenrie

davehenrie

Ratings:
    +68
    my 'guess' would be that rF2 was probably never intended to work with Steam. Much of S397's updates have been improvements on existing code. Just my gut feeling, but I don't think ISI ever intended servers to seemlessly link up with Valve initiatives.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. cam.d.walker

cam.d.walker

Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for providing so much information and transparency. Additionally, thank you to you and all of Studio 397 for the passion you have for the simulation. Your team proves the critics wrong each month with so many new surprises. I'm a long-time rF player and bought rF2's beta on release day back in January 2012. The sim has evolved so much since your team's takeover to the point it's almost an entirely new sim. I also notice a lot of buzz in the S397 forum's third party content section, with lots of high quality content in development and not simply ports from older titles. It's really nice to see rF2 finding it's way.

• Like Like x 3
    • Beer Beer x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ZeroRisk

ZeroRisk
    Pro racing driver for hire! (according to ACC) Premium

Ratings:
    +791
    All those great questions about this top sim, I totally missed whether there was any references made to perhaps obtaining the licenses to the Ford GTE and Ferrari 488 GTE cars?

Sorry as I know we weren't supposed to put forward content queries so much, but it is something nagging at me that we're so close to pure Endurance racing heaven that these two cars would seriously top it off nicely...

• Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. F_B

F_B
    Premium

Ratings:
    +891
    @Marcel Offermans

I have one question in my mind and haven't found it in the interviews: will it someday be made easier to record AI lines? Right now it's quite complicated, especially compared to AC.

• Like Like x 2
  20. MarcG

MarcG
    Premium

Ratings:
    +663
    A solid "Lock To Horizon" caused issues on banked ovals so an alternative method had to be found, if the Highest setting for Stabalize Horizon is still not stable enough for you then post on the official forum, others have in the past so there could be a chance of another stronger setting in the future.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 07:42
    • Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.