• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured rFactor 2: The Big Interview (Part 4)

Discussion in 'rFactor 2' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels
    Premium

Ratings:
    +339
    It's not that hard. Just select the path you want add, press record and do the lap.
    Everytime you pass SF a new one gets recorded if it's better than the previous lap.
    So you do center lap, a hotlap, a blocking path andd a wet lap. Than you should have quite a good AI baseline.
    Positioning cars by driving to the spot they need to be and press record is a bit more work, than AC.

2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +89
    I wonder why only partial?

3. mantasisg

mantasisg

Ratings:
    +1,992
    I picked words from 4th interview part that are in competition system context. Interactions, easier to find people, a lot of users simply joining our competitions, market for hosted servers, “championships” where you compete against other humans, it will keep track of standings, rankings, etc., will feature racing and time trials, and possibly other types of racing too, always “something to do” when you launch rF2, link series to esports competitions, allows us to get different sponsors to start our own series, Leaderboards are an integral part of the new competition system, plugable system, one or more “standings” components that each present a specific type of “leaderboard”, drivers’ points, team points, nations cup, drivers’ ranking, adding more of them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Spinelli

Spinelli

Ratings:
    +256
    Multiplayer hosting needs large improvements. Opening the correct ports in your modem/router is easy after you do it once and no different to other games. The problems are as follows:
    1. We need to get rid of having to create rfmod, vmod or whatever not to mention having to use some out-of-game program to make those mod package file things. It's surprising a game made in the past decade or so would require such knowledge, inconvenience, and hassle just to choose a vehicle/s and track/s. Multiplayer creation UI should give us a list of the game's cars / car-series and tracks to simply select which ones we want. Check the ones you want to be eligible for your server, click "done" or "next" and you're DONE.

2. We need in-game multiplayer creation like possible in RF1, AMS, etc. not just a separate out-of-game program you have to keep alt-tabbing out of RF2 to get to

3. The in-game multiplayer control has to be just as capable/powerful as the separate out-of-game tool. A good example of how NOT to do it is AMS: If I use the in-game multiplayer control - which is all I use because I refuse to use a separate out-of-game program to control something which should easily be built into the game - then voting will not work. No matter how I mess with my multiplayer.ini file, voting never works in my rooms if I create the room in-game. Also, there are other options and controls you are restricted from having if you're hosting a server in-game VS the out-of-game tool.

4. The whole track thing in RF2 MP hosting is quite a mess. When I'm hosting a game in AMS, while in-game, I can literally just click on change track and select any track I want, DONE (or an option to vote would be awesome). So:
    • please remove the requirement of joining players having to have every track in the server's track-list. This makes no sense and just causes less people to join and more people to give-up on RF2 and go to other games.
    • the preset track list as well as track order/rotation should be an option (or disabled if an option isn't possible), not forced as it currently is.
    In summary for the MP track issues (point #4)
    - no pre-selected list of tracks the server admin is limited to selecting from
    - no pre-selected list of tracks players trying to join must own all of (only the current track, obviously)
    - no track-order/rotation list the server admin must adhere to

I don't see the logic in those 3 limitations.

P.S. I haven't tried hosting an RF2 session in a long time (due to the issues above). If something above has been fixed or improved, please correct me.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  5. Flip-Flop Driver

Flip-Flop Driver

Ratings:
    +63
    Banked ovals? Next thing you are gonna tell me there are racing engineers out there still using imperial. :p

• Haha Haha x 1
  6. F1Aussie

F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +89
    I hope that an esports focus won't take away from the offline single player experience. I have playing racing games / Sims since 1997 and have never raced online or been tempted to race online, it just doesn't Interest me no matter what people say. I dont have the time or availablity to block out certain times to race so can only squeeze it in when I dont have any work or family responsibilities. Plus offline means I am not locked in to have to race certain cars or series.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. numbersevenhull

numbersevenhull
    Premium

Ratings:
    +153
    Yeah I suspect that is 100% correct. The issue is when I picked up rf2 every week someone on the steam forums would be posting 'can't get online/can't host a game/can't join a game etc'. You'd think for your average player experience, if it's possible, this would be worth addressing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. F1Aussie

F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +89
    Kudos to @Marcel Offermans for taking so many questions and answering them so honestly. I can't think of any other representative from any other Sim racing producer who would be so thorough and answer so many questions. Bravo.
    I have a love hate relationship with rf2 and am looking forward to AMS2 to be a fully rounded complete Sim if AMS is anything to go by but this interview has me feeling a lot more confident that rf2 will end up being the Sim I want it to be and could well put it at the top of the pile in time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Chris Partridge

Chris Partridge
    Premium

Ratings:
    +178
    Hosting is a real headache ... the easiest hosting method is in Assetto Corsa ... beautifully simple.

10. TTM75

TTM75

Ratings:
    +509
    Thanks for a good interview and answers. It's nice to know what we can expect with rF2 in coming months.
    It's also wise move to keep your own gfx engine, so you have full control with features etc what you want to include or improve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Spinelli

Spinelli

Ratings:
    +256
    Yup, and it shouldn't be.

Honestly, it's easy in RF1, AMS (and I guess Race 07, GTR2, etc. as well). Once you open your ports in your modem/router (very easy and only done once unless your IP address changes maybe every few weeks or months) then you can literally just start the game as normal, go to multiplayer, click "create game," choose cars or car series, choose locked or unlocked, create e a password if locked, give the server a name, set rules, options, choose the first track you want to go to and you're done. Once you're loaded in game, you can change track whenever you want to any track you want at the click of a button or two.

Those in-game methods of previous ISI-engine based titles are almost as straightforward and easy to setup as setting up an offline game for yourself...literally.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kasti

Kasti

Ratings:
    +135
    New cars of a new class...

why GT4? Why not something more loud, powerfull and exciting?
    Groupe C monsters!;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Paul010101

Paul010101

Ratings:
    +23
    We have a good group C mod. As Marcel said, is open to a collaborations with modders and even help them to licensing and even improve the quality in collaborations. The shot way to get Group C on Rfactor 2 compatible with competiton system. Now imagine also gt1 class.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cheesenium

Cheesenium

Ratings:
    +55
    Hopefully we will get the GT4. Close to a dozen of them, like the current GT3 class would be great.

• Like Like x 3
  15. j_troc_71

j_troc_71

Ratings:
    +8
    Marcel seems to think that everyone that plays rFactor2 has modding or coding capabilites. So many answers have been, "yea well thats possible if you know what you're doing". Its very frustating to me. I dont know the first thing about changing code etc, I can install mods, thats as far as I go. Hopefully, the new UI will help, but you shouldn't have to be a computer programmer to get the game to run at its full potential.

• Like Like x 7
    • Beer Beer x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young
    Premium

Ratings:
    +61
    RF2 is definitely one of those seems with a ton of potential but with too many issues to make it my regular sim. I dip in and out, mainly to experience new content like Sebring, and I see the flashes of brilliance. But it’s too inconsistent for me to stick with it. I always go back to ACC and R3E which just work (for me, not for everyone I appreciate) and have all the bases covered. I think the next time I’ll check in will be for the launch of the new UI, hopefully that will make things better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. BrainsBush

BrainsBush

Ratings:
    +182
    Another great read and this completes the long Q&A with good old Marcel.
    But I remember someone asked the most important question and this one is probably forgotten in the mass of other excellent questions --> Grolsch or Bavaria?

Cheers mate(s)!

• Beer Beer x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
  18. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo
    Premium

Ratings:
    +763
    Yep, this and "you can make it yourself" is a bit annoying. Sure makes sense when it's something not used much, but some basics of a series covered by the game (like pit window in GT3) should be made by developers. I mean these guys have been working in coding for 10+ years, right? If it's so easy for the average joe with 0 coding knowledge to make a plugin why aren't the devs making it then and offering as optional addon in their site at least? I suspect they'd finish that in an hour or so, isn't it?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. tr1v1um

tr1v1um

Ratings:
    +76
    My brain says it will be GT4, my heart says it will be a FIA GT1 DLC with the McLaren F1 GTR, the CLK and the Porsche 911 GT1. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  20. Jason Mullin

Jason Mullin

Ratings:
    +378
    This gets my business mind turning. Should S397 be in the market for a dedicated marketing professional here in the states, I would gladly make my services available! ;)

• Love Love x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.