• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured rFactor 2: The Big Interview (Part 4)

Discussion in 'rFactor 2' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jul 10, 2019.

1. adastros

adastros

Ratings:
    +1
    bmw,Amg( or mclaren ),porsche

2. enduser282

enduser282

Ratings:
    +4
    Agreed, and even before that we shouldnt waste our free time tweaking files to setup races.

Modding and being creative is one thing, enabling features and correcting stuff for a custom race/mod is another. Often i feel like i m teleported back to the Eastern block with rf2, "yeah guess what, you fix it"!
    Btw its not exactly easy to code plugins, i m just talking about game file tweaks.

One answer in particular saying "opening this file is your best bet" sounds like a community member and not like a developer to me, many of these things are bread n butter tweaks in the sim but remain under the hood (and have remained all those years).
    If i had a penny for every time i ve tweaked FR35 default setup before i drive.... , how simple is the solution to that.
    Overall i feel positive with this interview, tons of questions answered but i d like to see certain game/ux aspects to be improved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kasti

Kasti

Ratings:
    +135
    You mean the Mak mod. It´s really fineone, but as a regular spectator of the Groupe C races, I´m missing so many of those other Group C cars like the ones from Peugeot, Nissan, Toyota, Jaguar, Spice...;):)

But i like the GT1 series too...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kasti

Kasti

Ratings:
    +135
    and Toyota GT one, Nissan R Gt1 and the these days competing WSC would be cool to have...
    The scream of the 12 cyl Ferrari 333 SP...:inlove:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gasper Zupan

Gasper Zupan
    Troyan Donut Automotive Premium

Ratings:
    +254
    Great interview :thumbsup: Who is next on the roast? :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
  6. ZeroRisk

ZeroRisk
    Pro racing driver for hire! (according to ACC) Premium

Ratings:
    +797
    Gotta be Kunos, Sector 3 or... SimBin? :sneaky:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels
    Premium

Ratings:
    +339
    Only see remarks about the official DLC's... but....

For anyone wanting to drive that special car model or that less popular vintage or temporary track..
    How about making your own? It seems the community sometimes forget this is an open simulator.
    I can tell you making something yourself and having it working in game can give such a great reward.
    Even if it's a fun driving lego shaped car or just a plain oval for starters.

Kept doing that more often than actually driving my sims in the end.
    One thing led to another, now fast forward 10 years.
    Nowadays I work with realworld F2 - F3 - F4 - GT - DTM teams and some privateers to provide them with the latests content updates, or scratch build them if no proper one is available.

Have to thank ISI and later Studio 397 for providing such a great open sim enviroment.

• Like Like x 5
  8. EdL

EdL
    Naked and Afraid Premium

Ratings:
    +18
    I don't really have anything to add other than thanking you for doing this very interesting series of interviews.

So yeah, thank you! :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kresh

Kresh
    Premium

Ratings:
    +184
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Philip00

Philip00

Ratings:
    +13
    RD: (question from @Philip00) Will it possible in the future to edit AI pit window just like it was possible in rfactor with the gdb file?

MO: I believe that “PitWindow” variable is still there and so is the code to use it, so I’m thinking you’ve run into something specific that does not work as expected? Feel free to send us more information about this

Hi @Marcel Offermans ,

I am sure that the game is not following anymore what is included in the GDB inside "PitstopStrategy" bracket like this:
    PitStopStrategies
    {
    Michael Schumacher = 2 - 20,43
    Rubens Barrichello = 1 - 40
    Kimi Raikkonen = 2 - 26,49
    David Coulthard = 1 - 42
    Ralf Schumacher = 1 - 36
    Juan Pablo Montoya = 2 - 21,44
    }
    It was working in RFactor 1.

Also is there any plan to implement AI tyre compound change, similar like in Automobilista?

Thanks in Advance,

Philip

11. Andy-R

Andy-R

Ratings:
    +701
    I don't like the pointy head selection thing in KartKraft, here's to hoping it will be just an option if implemented. Trying to adjust setup with that would be a nightmare, you have to focus your eyes on that point more than with a mouse where you can see the bigger picture.

12. MarcG

MarcG
    Premium

Ratings:
    +668
    Indeed this has been broken since the move from rf1 -> rf2 first appeared, i tried in vain many moons ago to get it working but alas could not find a solution.

13. davehenrie

davehenrie

Ratings:
    +69
    His response was very enlightening. The pit window is a fail that has been brought up over at the S397 forum as well as here.(I'm pretty sure of that)
    Yet he was unaware it was not working. I'd bet the same for the AI 2nd driver swap as well. (rcd files etc) S397 has got to hire or task at least one person who ONLY does offline fixes. How many of these off-line issues are really just an incomplete implementation that ISI never addressed and S397 still hasn't discovered?

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins

Ratings:
    +334
    All of them.

15. DriverJay

DriverJay

Ratings:
    +25
    Great interview Paul

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.