• Guest, RaceDepartment is now on Discord!  Join Here

rF2 | Portland Released, GTE Updated And More

MetalMania

50RPM
Aug 27, 2017
Only had time for about an hour on Portland over the weekend, nicely done and a very welcome addition. I haven't tried updated Silverstone yet.

I had left RF2 alone for a few months while I decided to give Project Cars a go in career mode. Also revisited Assetto Corsa for the first time in a while. Truthfully, despite some flaws, I was starting to think maybe I had all I really needed outside of RF2. Better UI, better graphics (though RF2 can look good, it's just not uniform across the board), better car selection (mostly), better track selection, better mod support (AC, arguably?).

Then a week or two ago on a whim I jumped back into RF2 and ran some laps around Sebring in a GT3. It took me about one lap to remember how much I like RF2 and why it's not leaving my hard drive - it just feels more like I'm driving a car to its limit (or over it). I spent the rest of the afternoon with it. Like any sim or game, it has its flaws and areas where it could be better - but for the actual driving to me this is still one of the best. Any perception of the graphics or sound not being as good or better than others fades to irrelevant while I'm trying to knock more tenths off my lap times. It's fine, and certainly better than a few years ago.

jlnprssnr

500RPM
Jul 23, 2015
In closing there is one topic we want to quickly address. In the sale we changed the bundles we have on sale. We thought it was time to do that. In that process we might have taken away the opportunity for some to “complete their collection”. We did listen to your feedback and will come with a one-time solution for that soon.
Good that they listened, although locking the thread in the S397 forums without a comment like this was not a good move. Will be interesting to see what they do, if they bring back the GT3 challengers pack for a week I'll definitely buy it.

passenger

100RPM
Jul 6, 2019
Only had time for about an hour on Portland over the weekend, nicely done and a very welcome addition. I haven't tried updated Silverstone yet.

I had left RF2 alone for a few months while I decided to give Project Cars a go in career mode. Also revisited Assetto Corsa for the first time in a while. Truthfully, despite some flaws, I was starting to think maybe I had all I really needed outside of RF2. Better UI, better graphics (though RF2 can look good, it's just not uniform across the board), better car selection (mostly), better track selection, better mod support (AC, arguably?).

Then a week or two ago on a whim I jumped back into RF2 and ran some laps around Sebring in a GT3. It took me about one lap to remember how much I like RF2 and why it's not leaving my hard drive - it just feels more like I'm driving a car to its limit (or over it). I spent the rest of the afternoon with it. Like any sim or game, it has its flaws and areas where it could be better - but for the actual driving to me this is still one of the best. Any perception of the graphics or sound not being as good or better than others fades to irrelevant while I'm trying to knock more tenths off my lap times. It's fine, and certainly better than a few years ago.
Everytime I go back to rFactor 2, same feeling, it feels like the best simulator, the most life-like
racing simulator there is out there - how the cars respond, the best and most detailed FFB...
And now with better graphics and lighiting effects, it really shines.

BazzaLB

100RPM
Jun 25, 2009
Gave this another go tonight with the Ferrari at Portland and Silverstone. This time I turned on some Post Processing (Medium). I usually have this off completely in VR.

I want to correct what I said earlier about not noticing a blind bit of difference. I think the updated Silverstone and Portland look great. Combine this with the new Ferrari cockpit and I have no complaints about rf2 graphically any more.

Here's hoping they update some older content cars / tracks to these standards.

Follow RaceDepartment