Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have dropped a surprise new circuit configuration into rFactor 2 - adding the yet to be raced brand new 2020 Zandvoort Grand Prix layout to the simulation.

Included as an additional configuration to the already available original Zandvoort venue, the new release today bring with it the brand new Formula One layout of the track - a first appearance as official content within a racing title. The new layout includes multiple changes over the much loved traditional circuit, including the now famous final banked corner designed and built especially for the aborted return to Grand Prix racing - a race that should have taken place this very weekend.

The new configuration is available as a free DLC for rFactor 2, and can be found at the rFactor 2 Steam workshop if it hasn't already downloaded automatically.

In a rather cool move from Studio 397, the version available today will closely match the current build state of the real world location. In the real world, the race track itself is very much ready for action, but the infrastructure and buildings around the track are still very much in a state of development - something Studio 397 have replicated in the simulation with an intention to update and develop the content in the months to come as it evolves towards hosting the upcoming Dutch GP.

The new circuit is available to download now from the Steam Workshop.

The release notes post in full can be read below:

The weather along the Dutch coastline this weekend was rather typical for May. The sun and clouds both fight for attention. Trying to make their presence felt to the people on the beaches below. But this was not supposed to be a normal weekend. An enormous amount of people would have flooded the area, cheering for their favorite driver, enjoying the fast cars that would have graced the beautiful track of Zandvoort. Then everything changed.

What could not continue in the real world, most certainly can in the virtual world. We therefore decided to release on this day the brand new 2020 layout of Zandvoort, for everybody to enjoy in rFactor 2. For free!

rf2 2020 Zandvoort.jpg

If you look at the real track today, it is certainly ready to race, but all the surrounding buildings, grandstands and other infrastructure are very much still under construction. Our pre-production release today reflects that. We’re trying to remain close to the current state of the track and will keep updating it in the months to come as it evolves towards the upcoming Dutch GP.

Much has been said and written already about the changes to the track, all aimed at improving the racing, but let’s highlight some of the most important ones as we take you around a virtual tour of the track.

The lap starts on the longest straight, that takes you to the Tarzanbocht, a banked 180 degree turn that is traditionally a good overtaking spot. One apparent change here is the location of the pit exit, which used to be on the inside of the corner entry, but has now been moved to the corner exit, with a wall making sure there is no way to merge too early.

rf2 2020 Zandvoort 2.jpg

The corner exit takes you onto a straight that bends towards the left and sets you up for the next right-hander called Gerlachbocht. Exiting that is where the next big change is. The Hugenholtzbocht, named after the famous dutch designer of race cars and tracks, John Hugenholtz, is made wider with more banking to offer a faster exit and possibly multiple lines through the corner.

rf2 2020 Zandvoort 3.jpg

More speed means an even faster passage over Hunzerug and the Rob Slotemakerbocht towards Scheivlak, the only corner on the track that has its own TV channel, a clear indication that that’s a good spot to watch a lot of action. The jury is still out on how high downforce open wheelers can go side by side over this straight and through this blind corner, but if they do it will certainly be a memorable moment.

rf2 2020 Zandvoort 4.jpg

We’re now basically at the back of the circuit where much of the existing layout remains untouched. The next straight brings us to the Mastersbocht, another high speed turn with a curbstone on the apex that you can hit hard, but not too hard. The anonymous Bocht 9 and Bocht 10 follow, two long, slow and wide corners that seem to never end and where you can drive many different lines, making sure at all times your exit onto the next straight is good as that one leads to another popular overtaking spot.

rf2 2020 Zandvoort 5.jpg

The Hans Ernst Bocht is another place to out-brake your opponent and while this corner had been modified fairly recently for DTM, placing less forgiving curbstones on the inside of the second part off this right-left turn, it was changed again, removing those curbs again in favor of more friendly ones.

rf2 2020 Zandvoort 6.jpg

This exit takes us to the penultimate corner, Kumho, which generally takes some lifting and light braking. Exiting this corner is where DRS will be enabled as the last corner on the track is again one that is completely modified. The Arie Luyendijk Bocht is now wide and very much banked like on an oval and you can therefore take it flat out, launching you onto the final straight at high speed and potentially setting you up for a pass through the first turn again.

rf2 2020 Zandvoort 7.jpg

This completes our lap around the track. Needless to say we’re excited to be the very first to bring you this track in a racing simulation. We hope you’ll enjoy driving it. You can subscribe to the track in the workshop here if it has not already automatically installed for you.

Original Source: Studio 397.

rFactor 2 is available exclusively on PC.

Want to know how to get the best from the sim? Start a thread in the rFactor 2 sub forum and let our community offer you the benefit of their massive combined experience.

Last edited:
perfect timing for all those Dutch fans out there who had really been looking forward to see Max in a home Grand Prix. I own rF2 but do not have it installed, one day when I am old and gray I will have enough time to go through all the hassle of installing the game, the addons, the mods, the lot. Right now, good to see it is still alive, the more competition there is on the market, the better. Btw: is this a laser-scanned track? Did I read it somewhere? I just glossed over the first page of this thread.

I asked that also but no one seems ot have the answer

Well, I enjoyed racing that (free) track. It has its issues granted, but the new banking on last bend is a blast to drive! I just wish it was located on a different track and not delivered at the detrimental expense of Zandvoort. It’s like putting a massive whale-tail spoiler on an E-Type Jag. There’s nothing wrong with the whale-tail per se, but it’s totally ruined the e-type - if you kinda get my point.

I asked that also but no one seems ot have the answer
It's never been fully laserscanned yet in it's current state after it's been updated.
Nobody is even allowed on the track at the moment, due to the lockdown.

But the main contracter for the rebuild of the real track provided gigabytes of 3D data and blueprints on all the updates and buildings.
We can even see the amount bolt and nuts that are needed to keep a building together.

So the contractor first made a laserscan and than applied the updates on it.
That's about the best reference available at the moment.
So every corner, track height and banking is probably 99.9% right.
As all machines on the track used that data as their reference.

Last edited:
That's what I'm talking about right here!
Now waiting for the JUMBO DLC.
Anyone having a problem as you been hit in the back out of nowhere? Otherwise great track.

Edit: video
It also happened to me with the official MP413 on this kerb and on another one.
This happens at Interlagos too. There is also other kind of collision issues in other cornes on the tarmac itself. Similar to seams in tracks like Silverstone.
Changing subjects the MP413 is missing a Monaco front suspension for its hairpin.

The feeling through the FFB is fantastic though. Best tires out there by far.

Very cool surprise for all the people who hoped to attend the actual Grand Prix in Zandvoort this weekend, including me. Although all of us surviving this crisis in good health is much more important of course.

Boss move by studio 397!

Ok. Where did you know that?
I think Richard was involved in creating that version of the track:
@Richard Hessels Were you also involved in this 2020 layout?

Thanks Studio 397! @Marcel Offermans, with your hints on another (Dutch) forum, we already knew you were working on this, but releasing it today, on the day the Dutch GP should have taken place, was a real surprise. Great timing!:)

I am curious, since the real race was supposed to occur, how is so much still under construction (as per @Marcel Offermans/S397 comments in the intro)?

Thanks for the great track and interesting chance for so many to drive it virtually before the real drivers get to race it for real. We can all feel like new F1 drivers using a sim for an upcoming track they have never been to before ;)

Kudos to RF2 for releasing the circuit but can someone please tell me where Zandvoort has gone. It's wider, smoother, one of Europes most challenging ccorners has been completely reprofiled just so a modern F1 car can get round it. I get the idea of bringing back classic curcuits to F1 but history shows that modern cars and old curcuits do not mix. If they so desparately wanted a Grand Prix venue why didn't they just upgrade TT Assen. A much more modern facility that would surely have made more sense financially. RF2 appear to have done a reasonable job of recreating the "New Zandvoort" which is praiseworthy however for me it's a case of RIP Zandvoort hello Motorplex Verstappen

Kudos to RF2 for releasing the circuit but can someone please tell me where Zandvoort has gone. It's wider, smoother, one of Europes most challenging ccorners has been completely reprofiled just so a modern F1 car can get round it. I get the idea of bringing back classic curcuits to F1 but history shows that modern cars and old curcuits do not mix. If they so desparately wanted a Grand Prix venue why didn't they just upgrade TT Assen. A much more modern facility that would surely have made more sense financially. RF2 appear to have done a reasonable job of recreating the "New Zandvoort" which is praiseworthy however for me it's a case of RIP Zandvoort hello Motorplex Verstappen

I get this completely but it seems more flowing from driving it in rF2 now. I hate the idea of ruining old tracks like in the UK i think we got away quite lightly when Donington ran out of money and had to revert to the old layout because it just works. Silverstone is another one. Should have kept the old layout usable for other things but no they decide to build some crap hotel.

jfc there's a lot of whiners in this thread. It's a free track ffs, and you can load the old version anytime if you don't like it (or both, appreciate them each for their own flavour).
This is almost as bad as listening to "simracers" obsess about FFB or fizziks.

Tried the track - I have to agree with others, scenery is a bit rough but my understanding is this is WIP (and a free one, at that). Track surface itself though seems well modeled and faithful to reality. Nothing to do with the game/track, but I am a little puzzled why the higher banking is necessary. Won't that just serve to *increase* corner speeds? And wasn't too much banking the issue at the infamous USGP at Indy? The banking looks kind of cool, but it definitely does change the character of that final turn - it is very easy now, just flat out. Typically, I need to do just a slight lift in most cars to get down to the apex. Now it's just accelerator to floor with a relatively static steering angle.

rF2 has never run well on my machine, but I've never taken the time to look into it. I've always gotten annoying little frame rate hiccups, it seems. I need to at least hook up a profiler and make sure I'm not bottlenecking somewhere. I've seen plenty of videos where people have made rF2 look very nice, so I know it can be done. Like a lot of other things with this particular sim, it's kind of hard to get motivated to mess around with tweaking settings when there are other sims that do so well right out of the box. The graphics are that way for me.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound so negative - the sim drives awesome and S397 has made some good steps...it's just, whenever I try out the sim, there tend to be nagging reminders of why I don't play it more (despite the awesome physics/FFB).
For better FPS: Try to lower environmental and I think road reflections and shadows. Also opponents details if you have large grids. rF2 looks best when you set time to early morning or near sunset. It also depends on a mod.

I am curious, since the real race was supposed to occur, how is so much still under construction (as per @Marcel Offermans/S397 comments in the intro)?

Thanks for the great track and interesting chance for so many to drive it virtually before the real drivers get to race it for real. We can all feel like new F1 drivers using a sim for an upcoming track they have never been to before ;)

This is the current state of the track. As you see pretty close to the state of the current rF2 version.
Would call this Alpha state too.

zandvoort_12-4-12.jpg

They were ahead of schedule, but then COVID-19 happened and they stopped preparing the circuit further for the GP. E.g. lots of the grandstands will be temporary, only used during the Dutch GP, but they stopped working on that, because it would be just a waste of money. If the FIA would decide to have the Dutch GP later this year, they will be ready for it, but I do not think we are going to have a Dutch GP anymore this year.:(

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.