Zandvoort Released for rFactor 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 Zandvoort 2.jpg

The Circuit Park Zandvoort has been released for rFactor 2.

Deployed to the simulation as a free addition from Studio 397, Zandvoort currently sits at an early 0.20 build status and as such remains a little bit away from what can be considered a full quality release candidate at this stage.

Due to form part of the next stage of 'World's Fastest Gamer' competition, the new track has been developed completely from scratch by Studio 397 and is released earlier than ideal in order to fit in with the next stage of the online competition.

Despite some obvious issues with the current state of the release, the track itself remains perfectly playable and Studio 397 have confirmed further developments will be coming in the near future.

You can download the track HERE.

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation by Studio 397.

rFactor 2 Zandvoort 3.jpg

rFactor 2 Zandvoort.jpg

If you are a fan of rFactor 2 then you really need to visit our rFactor 2 sub forum, here you will be able to discuss the game with fellow enthusiasts, seek advice and guidance on many aspects of the sim and take part in some awesome club racing events in our newly re-launched rFactor 2 Racing Club. Go on, you know you want to....

What are your first impressions of the track? Are you impressed with this latest content addition? Let us know in the comments section below!

I like Zandvoort on any sim. I've installed the S397 release and run a few dozen laps in a variety of vehicles. It looks like a typical rF2 track, and at least on my setup it feels like a typical rF2 track too. It could certainly do with a bit more FPS optimisation and polish, but the same could be said for a number of recent S397 releases, especially the Radical with its broken AI and rough as bags FFB. On that note, I get terrible performance running against an AI field of McLarens or Radicals on Zandvoort, but with other vehicles the performance is roughly on par with other tracks.

So, thanks again S397 for some more free content, hoping to see it and other content brought up to a consistent standard in a timely manner (I bought the GT3 pack to fund just that :) )

Are you sure about that? It looks very similar to the SRW version, maybe @Richard Hessels could enlight that a bit?
You are right, some track-side objects still come from my old SRW version. Those are placeholders.
Still making new and better objects for it.
But the base track and it's surroundings are totally scratch-build with the use of Lidar pointcloud data and GPS.
3 photo session with more than 3000 photos were done. The last of these sessions I was able to arrange a private ontrack photo session with the new tarmac (thanks Zandvoort!). So it was possible for me to measure curbs sizes, walls and other vital objects exactly along the track.

You are right, some track-side objects still come from my old SRW version. Those are placeholders.
Still making new and better objects for it.
But the base track and it's surroundings are totally scratch-build with the use of Lidar pointcloud data and GPS.
3 photo session with more than 3000 photos were done. The last of these sessions I was able to arrange a private ontrack photo session with the new tarmac (thanks Zandvoort!). So it was possible for me to measure curbs sizes, walls and other vital objects exactly along the track.

Many thanks for the very detailed information!

On that note, I get terrible performance running against an AI field of McLarens or Radicals on Zandvoort, but with other vehicles the performance is roughly on par with other tracks.
I don't think it is the track but it is the cars. I am experiencing the same with both cars on Zandvoort, but also for example on Silverstone International. When I drive the USF2000 on both tracks, performance is fine (steady 60 FPS) but with the Radical and especially the McLaren my FPS drops to about 45 regularly. And I am using a GTX 1070 on 3440x1440 resolution, most settings on High and shadows on medium. When I lower shadows to Low, FPS go up, but low shadows don't look very nice. I have seen some post that this could be related to extremely high PCI-e bus usage in rF2. My system only supports up to x8 v3.0 and it seems you need x16 v3.0 to get optimal performance on rF2.

It seems a shame to make this track without a proper 60s version too. Such a flowing circuit.

But then it seems all of the historical content has been abandoned by RF2 for some time, in order to chase the same modern GT3 / open wheeler crowd that all the other sims already cater for. So much for differentiating yourself from the market :(

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back