Rate The Sims: Community Edition | Assetto Corsa Competizione

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RD Community Favourite-ACC.jpg

We are looking to crown the 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite' racing game - get your votes in now for our next game on the list... Assetto Corsa Competizione!

Our dear RaceDepartment community. You folks are the most mighty fans of sim racing, often displaying an immense amount of understanding and depth of knowledge when it comes to our favourite hobby.

With sim racing and eSports in such a wonderful boom period of late. Gamers looking to have some fun with their virtual racing machines have never before had such a wide and robust variety of software to enjoy.

Now occasionally I've been in a position to rate new racing titles that have come my way, and almost every time I've received a wide variety of folks agreeing, or strongly disagreeing with my own opinions.

Opinions are great, but sometimes the opinion of one person, with their own likes and dislikes taken into account, can often give a bit of a skewed picture (intentional or not) to the greater cause in which said person is trying to explain.

As such, rather than doing one myself, and in the spirit of engaging some interesting community discussion, I thought it could be fun to let our own community rate each of the key sim racing / racing games available today.

As always with these things, please do try and respect each other and their opinions, and let's try to see if we can give a fun, but fair shake of the stick to each of the games included in this poll.

For transparency, I'm going to be featuring the following racing games over the next weeks:

• Assetto Corsa
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione
  • Automobilista (AMS)
  • DiRT 2.0
  • F1 2019
  • GT Sport
  • GRID
  • iRacing
  • NASCAR Heat 4
  • PCARS 2
  • RaceRoom Racing Experience
  • rFactor 2
  • WRC 8

I'm going to launch the article each Monday evening, and keep the poll running for a full week until the next new article is pushed live. So get your votes in quick!

Once I've completed the full list of games, I'll publish a final results feature, and we can award the winning developer the lofty title of 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite'!

Have fun, stay sensible and let the voting commence!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

All the 9 or 10 are delusional. A 9 or 10 game is a near perfect product, and anyone saying ACC is near perfect is insane or are just voting for those numbers to artificially improve the score. I would understand an 8 for someone that really likes ACC, but beyond that it's ridiculous for a product that isn't even finished. I would say the same for a score of 1~2, which is for games beyond broken, so anything between 3~8 is somewhat fine.
Yes true. I think the best points 6-8. The Kunos team make very good job,updating game oft.The game not perfect ,but not bad.With Unreal Engine the work is not easy ,and in beta development have some problem with the engine and the UE4 development software,but fixing this very fast.The Kunos not BIG developer team and first time use Unreal Engine 4. I think this result just time not bad.The game beautiful ,have some many good features and real modern game.Required more update but not worst.
But for example:The Official F1 games is the real worst! Few updates only ,many bugs and big lies the all game.The fair real name:Bugmasters.:roflmao:
But Kunos working!:cool:
QqG26XY.png

Hi,

i give a good 7. I really like the FFB and physics (but don`t understand why some people call it the best there is). Fells very well, but lot of other sims do not worse.
The sound is outstanding. In some parts even better than RRE. I also like GT3 at all.

The most important negative things for me is - as i am single player only : the career is a bad joke.
The i go for the championship modus. But that is still unready too. Very unbalanced. The AI is way too strong at Brands Hatch & in wet conditions. Overall i feel like all Sprint Cup races are more difficult in comparsition to the endurance races, which are still buggy too. At 2 or 3 tracks the AI stops 4 times (Spa 10 times!) even when only 3 stopps are necassery (Spa 9). So to tell the truth - the whole thing is still like broken.
At this time playing this game is like fun but also pointless at the same time.

You either love it or hate it. I fall in the camp of the latter. Buggy, poor performance, dumb as **** AI... Huge disappointment for a title I had hoped would be great. Upcoming DLC on paper had me excited, so tried it again on the weekend. Got so frustrated with it, I uninstalled it. Moving along... Avoid eye contact and perhaps it will go away.

I give this a solid 8.5~8.7. At launch I would have given it a 4 or a 5.

They seem to have fixed a few things and they are giving us the 720S GT3. I assume we can run that as a Cup Challenge.

What would give this SIM a 10 for me is; the ability to make skins.

I give Acc an 8 Everything in the game is Very fun the ffb the visuals the physics and the sounds of the cars itself are excellent. 8 was the reason because of me playing sim racing games in Vr it's not as pleasing for this game i have my full support for this game though!

I did not read all the replies so I may repeat... a lot:

The game is good in that the GFX are fine, the FFB is great and the physics are pretty good too.

I run triples but I do not demand perfection so it runs my triples adequately and does not cause me any issues.

The biggest issues I have with this sim is not really due to Kunos except for the same issue I have with AC: No track rotation on the servers. I think this also hinders on-line traffic as most will come into a server and stay (if the racing is good) if the tracks change after every race. No change in the server and players will leave to find another track.

The other issue I have is associated with the lack of rotation but is more to the track choices by players. Most seem to prefer Spa and/or Monza and Nurburgring so much that many times the only populated servers are ones with those three tracks. It is if most are afraid of running the other tracks. Thus, and this is, where the lack of inherent rotation comes in, if I want to run Misano, Zolder or a track that is not the above three, the server is usually empty.

Lastly, and this is another issue shared with AC, is the lack of traffic (at least for my location) when I am on. This in conjunction with the lack of choices of tracks to race others on makes me leave the sim after one or two races.

Sure it's pretty, sure it feels great, but for me..and don't get me wrong I applaud the single series approach, but I'm kinda in the "old guy who likes the old cars kinda stuff" group so it can only blow my skirt up so high...still I gave it an "8" mainly because I'd rather have 20 single series (done completely) sims than 3 sims that only touch on 30 series.

...and I'm American...so ACC sorta leaves us wanting our stuff too over here...

1) AI doesn't know when to give up the position in chicanes so particularly T1 at Monza and the chicanes at Zolder can sometimes be a frustrating experience.

It's interesting that you said that. I've mostly just tested the game at those two tracks and have basically thrown up my hands in frustration over the homicidal AI. I guess I should give the other tracks a chance.

Well well...in terms of physics its the best out there for the GT categorie! Really rich and handfull and by all the updates till now it came up even better! However it lack a lot in different sections such as online system,single player career! In the end its the game i play to race GT3 cars now so i like it a lot with its drawbacks!

-physics feel nice but something is missing for me as I still lose the car for no reason and can't correct it, other sims I use work as it should with default setup
May i ask where this happens, i mean corner entries, midcorner, exits or on the kerbs?

It's interesting that you said that. I've mostly just tested the game at those two tracks and have basically thrown up my hands in frustration over the homicidal AI. I guess I should give the other tracks a chance.
The chicane after kemmel straight at Spa was like this for me, i'm inside and also in front but they turn into my side like they don't have any side awareness(with lowest aggression level selected). this issue improved a lot in a few last updates but still need tuning.

Last edited:
ACC is a weird one - on paper it's got all the necessary ingredients, graphics, physics, weather, good and popular series to enjoy racing, properly laserscanned tracks, multiplayer with ratings and genuinely it ticks all the boxes. But yet - I'm finding myself racing other titles rather than ACC. I can't tell exactly what it is - but given the choice, ACC is unfortunately not a popular choice from my menu. And I really don't know why...

I think there is a slight possibility that this tells that you are lacking "something", if you can't get at least approximate guess what the "something" is. Perhaps it is actually you missing "something" in your skill/knowledge/experience set ? Even though if you are perhaps simply great driver, maybe you are still just not familiar with some important aspect. Perhaps after all, it really should work the way it does, and you should change.

However, not saying that you are wrong essentially, I don't know.
yeah I am definately going to try tonight again and see what it is, I think I need to be more gentle with the accelerator and steering input with this title

I don´t care much for multiplayer, so in that regards, I cannot vote ACC down, and I am usually very easy to please when it comes to racing titles - but ACC just never worked for me. From the first EA version, and still - the game feels... plastic-like... to me. Just plain wrong. I never feel like actually getting into a racecar when I try to fire it up, which mostly is upon the different updates...
May be the UE4 motor...some have suggested that it might be that, and well in the end it dosen´t really matter. We all have different preferences, and this title is simply not for me.
I am not saying that it´s a bad racing game - not at all - just that it does not work for me.
SO - 5 from me.

Great single series focused game, but that's also it's main issue, not a lot of content becasue of that. I also marked it down cause I have been having lot of issues with the controllers, where they don't work , or I can't map some of the buttons the way I like ( mappings doesn't save for shift UP and down for examle)
maybe it's not directly fault of the game, but it's the only game I see this happening with

May i ask where this happens, i mean corner entries, midcorner, exits or on the kerbs?
All of the above on different tracks, I may need to be more gentle with the throttle(Fanatec CSL LC) and steering input with this title. And I still really don't know if my wheel(TSPC) is dialed in yet as would like recommended settings from dev but nada answers on that, just winging it!

+ astonishing audio visuals
+ outstanding track, car and cockpit modelling
+ beautiful weather, time and track progression
+ great physics and FFB
+ fast loading times

- atrocious performance compared to every other sim racing title
- foolish, overpowered and unbalanced AI
- pretty but irritating UI (eg car selection menu is a masterclass in poor design)
- “career”
- host of other minor bugs and irritations

I don’t do MP or VR so can’t add to that discussion.

I have to laud Kunos for their ambition, audacity and technical prowess, attempting to bend UE4 to their will, but I get the feeling that many of the games perceived problems stem from this. ACC is a game I really wanted to love but in its current state I drop into it for the occasional hotlap or quick race, marvel at the beauty and audio immersion, inevitably get frustrated with the AI and the irredeemable microstuttering, and then quit and load up something rewarding.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back