• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured Rate The Sims: Community Edition | Assetto Corsa

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa' started by Paul Jeffrey, Oct 7, 2019.

1. 10

232 vote(s)
    21.3%
  2. 9

281 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. 8

336 vote(s)
    30.9%
  4. 7

131 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. 6

51 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. 5

27 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. 4

10 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. 3

12 vote(s)
    1.1%
  9. 2

3 vote(s)
    0.3%
  10. 1

6 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +23,886
    RD Community Favourite Sim - Assetto Corsa.jpg
    We are looking to crown the 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite' racing game - get your votes in now for our first game on the list... Assetto Corsa!

Our dear RaceDepartment community. You folks are the most mighty fans of sim racing, often displaying an immense amount of understanding and depth of knowledge when it comes to our favourite hobby.

With sim racing and eSports in such a wonderful boom period of late. Gamers looking to have some fun with their virtual racing machines have never before had such a wide and robust variety of software to enjoy.

Now occasionally I've been in a position to rate new racing titles that have come my way, and almost every time I've received a wide variety of folks agreeing, or strongly disagreeing with my own opinions.

Opinions are great, but sometimes the opinion of one person, with their own likes and dislikes taken into account, can often give a bit of a skewed picture (intentional or not) to the greater cause in which said person is trying to explain.

As such, rather than doing one myself, and in the spirit of engaging some interesting community discussion, I thought it could be fun to let our own community rate each of the key sim racing / racing games available today.

As always with these things, please do try and respect each other and their opinions, and let's try to see if we can give a fun, but fair shake of the stick to each of the games included in this poll.

For transparency, I'm going to be featuring the following racing games over the next weeks:

• Assetto Corsa
    • Assetto Corsa Competizione
    • Automobilista (AMS)
    • DiRT 2.0
    • F1 2019
    • GT Sport
    • GRID
    • iRacing
    • NASCAR Heat 4
    • PCARS 2
    • RaceRoom Racing Experience
    • rFactor 2
    • WRC 8

I'm going to launch the article each Monday evening, and keep the poll running for a full week until the next new article is pushed live. So get your votes in quick!

Once I've completed the full list of games, I'll publish a final results feature, and we can award the winning developer the lofty title of 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite'!

Have fun, stay sensible and let the voting commence!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Instagram
    Youtube
    Twitch

• Like Like x 20
    • Beer Beer x 2
  2. j_troc_71

j_troc_71
    Premium

Ratings:
    +25
    AC was great in it's day and still getting awesome new content all the time...... But the physics of this game feel extremely outdated and is the reason I haven't played much in the last year or so.

EDIT: Sorry fellas ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 44
    • Agree Agree x 15
    • Haha Haha x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BBRacing

BBRacing

Ratings:
    +14
    Assetto corsa is by far my personal favourite and had it since early access. Just recently brought a oculus rift and my word! Should have brought vr years ago! Have a good time on RRE and rfactor2 to mix things up and am currently eagerly awaiting GTR3. For the console, PCars 1&2 and the F1 games are the arcade fixes

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43
    Nice apex, I'll take it! Premium

Ratings:
    +5,978
    Needs rain, night by default, actual visible damage and better AI but otherwise it's an incredible game from a graphical, physics and fun point of view.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  5. Slowdive

Slowdive

Ratings:
    +80
    It has night, damage, and even rain, and the AI is actually some of the more respectful AI around.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Disagree Disagree x 13
    • Beer Beer x 1
  6. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT

Ratings:
    +581
    Night, rain, day time transitioning. Don't we have that already thanks to Ilja and Peter?
    Wish Kunos were still actively involved into development, instead of just moving off completely to ACC.
    There is still lots of life in AC thanks to all modders, no wonder the active player base is larger than all other sims combined.

• Agree Agree x 18
    • Like Like x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. PR0JECTNR56

PR0JECTNR56

Ratings:
    +158
    AC was basically the perfect replacement for me after rFactor 1, since the release of Content Manager, Custom Shader Patch and the number of amazing mods created for it. Also worth to note, that it was also the game which encouraged me to get into the custom skinning and I still love it.

• Like Like x 6
    • Beer Beer x 2
  8. odiopower

odiopower
    Premium

Ratings:
    +38
    Assetto corsa + Kunos DLC + a lot of free car and track + shader mod + content manager.

No other sim can do better imo.

• Agree Agree x 31
    • Like Like x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Beer Beer x 1
  9. BigMike8

BigMike8

Ratings:
    +60
    I'll be checking back for the P CARS 2 poll, for sure. The comment section should be epic!

• Haha Haha x 25
    • Like Like x 5
    • Beer Beer x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Brandon Borders

Brandon Borders
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8
    Kunos should buy and/or replicate Sol mod, add MP with AI, make a VR friendly launcher, keep compatibility with current Mods and launch as AC2. Instabuy for me.

• Agree Agree x 20
    • Love Love x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
  11. blot

blot
    Premium

Ratings:
    +57
    9 from me, AC is just great IMO, The fact that's it's standing the test of time shows what a great job Kuno's did with the engine and the talents of the excellent Modders we have for this Sim that offer us so much variety, Special mention is Ilya's Content manager, Shader mod and Peter's Sol mod, These 3 are an AC must have in my book!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  12. dave kirk

dave kirk
    Premium

Ratings:
    +75
    It has them as a mod, are we not rating the vanilla game and work done by the devs?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  13. blot

blot
    Premium

Ratings:
    +57

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. David Wright

David Wright

Ratings:
    +598
    Am I the only one getting bored of the "my favourite sim is better than your favourite sim and your favourite sim isn't a sim anyway" debate?

If I want to know how popular a sim is I can just look at steamcharts or steamdb in most cases.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Beer Beer x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  15. Chris Haye

Chris Haye
    Premium

Ratings:
    +114
    A valid question, but to rule out mods from consideration is to rule out ACs biggest strength.

• Agree Agree x 21
    • Love Love x 1
  16. Slowdive

Slowdive

Ratings:
    +80
    What blot said. None of those features cost extra and only require a download, just like a DLC. I'm pretty sure people will take DLC into account when rating all these titles. I mean, is anyone going to rate iRacing purely on the "free" content? I doubt it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. Mike Kadlcak

Mike Kadlcak

Ratings:
    +55
    Kunos did create and released modding tools. And released a lot patches so modders have it easier. Its part of the game.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. BrunoB

BrunoB
    Premium

Ratings:
    +156
    It could be or is a problems with these polls that also people who does NOT own a game can influence the poll.
    I dont own AC so I refrain from voting - but not so sure of others fairness:sneaky:

• Beer Beer x 2
  19. pcraenme

pcraenme
    Premium

Ratings:
    +199
    Kunos stopped development on AC already quite a while ago. AC is not a complete package, as it is missing weather and day/night out of the box. I know it can be added by the Sol mod and also content manager is great. But... I am going to score these sims based on official content and also if mods are supported. The quality of the mods though, has no impact on my score. So my score is 7, because that leaves room for improvement.:D

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  20. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN
    DirtT Tuned Motorsports

Ratings:
    +1,618
    Cool idea to get the clicks happening and start a pissing match lol

I enjoy AC but I'd like to know, are we rating the game on the base content or the massive overhaul the community did?

Base game due to lack of content, features and simple track tech outside of the laser scanning .
    I'd give it a 5.
    With mods a 8

I would have like to see a rating poll based on the features and tech within each game.
    Official content
    Laser scanned
    Track tech..dynamic rubbering, heating, weather, loose surface physics
    Modding
    Esports
    Multiplayer ranking etc. Etc

Edit: since 10 would be a perfect score and no sim is perfect.....should we eliminate it and call call it the fanboy vote ?:) ;)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Haha Haha x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.