Rate The Sims: Community Edition | Assetto Corsa Competizione

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RD Community Favourite-ACC.jpg

We are looking to crown the 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite' racing game - get your votes in now for our next game on the list... Assetto Corsa Competizione!

Our dear RaceDepartment community. You folks are the most mighty fans of sim racing, often displaying an immense amount of understanding and depth of knowledge when it comes to our favourite hobby.

With sim racing and eSports in such a wonderful boom period of late. Gamers looking to have some fun with their virtual racing machines have never before had such a wide and robust variety of software to enjoy.

Now occasionally I've been in a position to rate new racing titles that have come my way, and almost every time I've received a wide variety of folks agreeing, or strongly disagreeing with my own opinions.

Opinions are great, but sometimes the opinion of one person, with their own likes and dislikes taken into account, can often give a bit of a skewed picture (intentional or not) to the greater cause in which said person is trying to explain.

As such, rather than doing one myself, and in the spirit of engaging some interesting community discussion, I thought it could be fun to let our own community rate each of the key sim racing / racing games available today.

As always with these things, please do try and respect each other and their opinions, and let's try to see if we can give a fun, but fair shake of the stick to each of the games included in this poll.

For transparency, I'm going to be featuring the following racing games over the next weeks:

• Assetto Corsa
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione
  • Automobilista (AMS)
  • DiRT 2.0
  • F1 2019
  • GT Sport
  • GRID
  • iRacing
  • NASCAR Heat 4
  • PCARS 2
  • RaceRoom Racing Experience
  • rFactor 2
  • WRC 8

I'm going to launch the article each Monday evening, and keep the poll running for a full week until the next new article is pushed live. So get your votes in quick!

Once I've completed the full list of games, I'll publish a final results feature, and we can award the winning developer the lofty title of 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite'!

Have fun, stay sensible and let the voting commence!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Gave this about an hour on early access launch day and consigned it to the bin, where I thought it would probably remain forever.

Never fired it up again until 1.0.7 beta and haven't been able to put it down since, to the point where I haven't given any other sim a look in.

Gonna get some disagrees for this next sentence so I'll amour up and get in the braced position accordingly :D

It has the best FFB of the lot.

I go for 9/10 as it ticks more boxes for me than any other sim, shame VR sucks but I'm happy to use the Ultrawide for this one, and use VR for most of the rest.

I've been enjoying VR on PC2 and AC , but if ACC had decent VR It would be awesome.

I know people have their issue with it, but I really love the physics FF, and its great with my transducers.

Yes it has limited content but you don't buy tea if you only like coffee :)

Last edited:
Hmm.

I've put a lot of hours in, but it frustrates me.

I really believe in the concept of a safety rating but I think there's room for improvement. I don't want a safety rating that punishes me for being torpedoed on a corner, but that's what it does.

I love the way it looks (even in VR on an average rig due to Oculus ASW cleverness) and I love the way it sounds.

Good interface for VR. The only sim I can control and configure entirely from within the HMD without using a mouse and keyboard.

I love the amount of trackside detail and the visual racing lines.

Online is still pretty limited with static servers and no option for track cycling. Cars seem to react too much to collisions at times.

Maybe its finest hour is yet to come.

I gave it a 7. The thing about ACC for me is that it shows promise, but hasn't delivered yet... one would expect that a game that was supposed to be multiplayer-focused would have some sort of SRS-like structure, not just the usual "either join public lobbies or find a private league". Perhaps with the new tracks and cars announced more people will return to ACC and online racing will be a bit better.

8/10 for me. What it still misses particularly for me to be a 10/10:

1) AI doesn't know when to give up the position in chicanes so particularly T1 at Monza and the chicanes at Zolder can sometimes be a frustrating experience.
2) Thunderstorms have no place in a racing game and they happen way too often and for too long in Dynamic weather, reason why I never use the feature.
3) AI still a bit too fast in wet conditions vs dry. Other reason why I use scripted weather vs dynamic.
4) For what I've read in the official forum, the save game feature still has some bugs.
5) Not enough tracks to be a 10/10. IGTC is a good start and hopefully we'll get Blancpain Asia/America along the way.

Otherwise a fantastic game and the one I spend the most time in.

Mike Smith

SimRacing 604
Premium
To me it's the best overall racing sim, but it lacks something integral.

I would argue that ACC's graphics, sounds, content quality, FFB, and physics are as good as any title in sim racing. Which is all great, but the main issue I have is that this was intended to be a multi-player focused sim, and it's not.

So I think what we have right now is a really great GT3 single player sprint race or hotlapping sim, which can grow monotonous fairly quickly. I like seeing that Kunos is still developing content, but I would personally rather see them focus their efforts on helping the title reach its potential as a multi-player title.

I gave it 2 points for being less sporadic than its predecessor and docked it the other 8 for having no content of any worth. They're two sides of the same coin so 5 might have been fairer but I'm not giving a game with 0 interesting cars and 1 interesting track a 5.

No sim is perfect, and that's also true of ACC. However, it's by far my favorite sim and has directly lead to me playing far less Raceroom than I used to and I've basically stopped playing all other sims. I just prefer the graphics, physics, audio and FFB in ACC, by some distance.

It's also improved massively since EA and it's now very solid. The core racing experience is sublime but it does need a bigger community - but I think it has time for that to build as the initial nay-sayers give it another go and realize what they've been missing. In my experience, people who really give the current rev of ACC a try, find that it's really fantastic and stick with it.

It will be interesting to see how good AMS2 is when it launches. You could see it as competition, but if it's as good as I hope it will be, I think the two sims will be very complementary. Sims that are on aging tech like R3E will be under a lot of pressure to up their game.

Pros:
-Looks good;
-A lot of details, be it car details or track details, which makes a lot of difference;
-Sounds good;
-Dynamic Weather;
-24h cycle;
-Each car is very unique;
-Handling is very good(physics);
-TC and ABS works very well;

Cons:
-Optimization is still not good enough, even though it got much better, it's still worth listing;
-Multiplayer Structure is a joke, only having lobbies;
-Safety Rating, being the only important MP rating is tied to offline races(AI racing);
-AI being pretty bad will ram you and keep ramming once contact happens, causing loss of SA rating for whatever reason;
-SA rating doesn't work well, simply punishes everyone on any contact and requires close racing only to barely go up;
-Bad VR support;
-Bad Triple screen support;
-Career is one of the worst ever made;
-Thunderstorm condition is pointless;
-No Safety Car or VSC;
-No FCY;
-Horrible start sequence(speed limiter);
-No visual damage(just bruises) or possibility to destroy the car in a crash, no matter how bad it was;
-No possibility to easily share setups;
-Lack of in game info for car settings(what setup options does, engine map explanations);
-Almost no one is playing due to most problems listed above, which leads to a whatever game, no competition;

FFB feels more like something personal, so I won't list it as a con or pro aspect. I also won't touch content, as it's what it's and we don't have any pricing for DLC's to discuss yet.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 80 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 117 27.9%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 69 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • €3001-5000