Rate The Sims: Community Edition | Assetto Corsa Competizione

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RD Community Favourite-ACC.jpg

We are looking to crown the 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite' racing game - get your votes in now for our next game on the list... Assetto Corsa Competizione!

Our dear RaceDepartment community. You folks are the most mighty fans of sim racing, often displaying an immense amount of understanding and depth of knowledge when it comes to our favourite hobby.

With sim racing and eSports in such a wonderful boom period of late. Gamers looking to have some fun with their virtual racing machines have never before had such a wide and robust variety of software to enjoy.

Now occasionally I've been in a position to rate new racing titles that have come my way, and almost every time I've received a wide variety of folks agreeing, or strongly disagreeing with my own opinions.

Opinions are great, but sometimes the opinion of one person, with their own likes and dislikes taken into account, can often give a bit of a skewed picture (intentional or not) to the greater cause in which said person is trying to explain.

As such, rather than doing one myself, and in the spirit of engaging some interesting community discussion, I thought it could be fun to let our own community rate each of the key sim racing / racing games available today.

As always with these things, please do try and respect each other and their opinions, and let's try to see if we can give a fun, but fair shake of the stick to each of the games included in this poll.

For transparency, I'm going to be featuring the following racing games over the next weeks:

• Assetto Corsa
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione
  • Automobilista (AMS)
  • DiRT 2.0
  • F1 2019
  • GT Sport
  • GRID
  • iRacing
  • NASCAR Heat 4
  • PCARS 2
  • RaceRoom Racing Experience
  • rFactor 2
  • WRC 8

I'm going to launch the article each Monday evening, and keep the poll running for a full week until the next new article is pushed live. So get your votes in quick!

Once I've completed the full list of games, I'll publish a final results feature, and we can award the winning developer the lofty title of 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite'!

Have fun, stay sensible and let the voting commence!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

6 for me as well.

+Liking the FFB after the 300Hz update and new 5 point tire model
+Sounds are best in class
+Day/Night transitions and track wear look excellent

-Triple screen support
-VR performance and sharpness is bad
-FFB could still use a small tweak (Porsche Cup doesn't feel quite right)

To me the biggest flaw of ACC is not technical. It's very simple: you cannot make a single-series e-sports title and then do no e-sports events. Yes the SRO series, there was that. One single thing that was only partially on-line, had like 1 event per month and now is over. Stop. The current Special events are all single player stuff whose results do not end up into a big permanent leaderboard. So, the rating system is just theoretically useful for "matchmaking" but ends up being incomplete as it does not produce a leaderboard. As I repeated I think a million times on the official forum, having a rating system is just half the job done if there is no 'reason' for racing. In AC, Sim Racing System showed that there was a way to do things that worked fairly well. The RSR leaderboards, also, were a great incentive to drive faster. You need to have rating + esports events/leaderboards/mini-leagues etc to make the thing work. It doesn't need to be iRacing but there must be something.

The gpl rank system was (is always) a great feature who has motivated thousand of Grand prix legend enthusiastic like me to keep on launching the game

easy, and just so fantastic
http://gplrank.schuerkamp.de/php-pub/gplrank.php

- don't like the graphics
- aweful performance
- a lot of bugs, especially and unfortunately sp affected
- mp filter to find proper sessions is ancient

+ sound
+ good track quality
+ decent ffb and physics
+ variety of modes

Ordered it long before it was released, but it was a mistake. Meanwhile deleted it.

I cheer you up. You can run VR well in ACC with lower specs like mine:

i7 8700K 6x3.7 GHz, Asus ROG Strix Z370-F, 32 GB RAM 3000, Asus Strix GTX-1080TI OC (430.86), SSD Samsung 960 Evo 250 GB, HD WD Black 2TB, PSU BeQuiet! Dark Power P11 750W, CPU fan Noctua NH-D 15S, monitor 1920x1080, Fanatec CSL Elite for PS4&PC, Fanatec CSP v3, Oculus Rift

Smooth frames with all cars on track and weather on. You can use even more expensive specs of course, but they are not essential from here on. My options are at moderate and high levels, I do not feel that I miss out something there. The latest of the latest and the most expensive of the expensive hardware is not needed - but still is "just good enough" for some people nevertheless.

I've ordered new parts for my gaming box: next week I'll be upgrading to a
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI instead of the Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 that I have now. I'm swopping out the i5 6600K Sky Lake @ 4.4GHz, for a i7 9900K Coffee Lake, and my 2666 DDR4 RAM for 3200 DDR4. And a new monstrous Noctua CPU cooler to be on the safe side, and then I'm gonna crank that 9900K motha up to at least 4.9GHz, and more if it'll stay cool enough, and that with 8 cores instead of 4 like with the Sky Lake. I'll be keeping my MSI 1080 for a while yet, the 2080 is still too expensive, and I'm not convinced the upgrade is worth the money, at least not for the sims I drive ( or fly )
If ACC still doesn't work well with my Rift S after all that, the it'll confirm my opinion that ACC is just badly optimized.
If that is indeed the case, then it's back to rF2 and PC2 until such times as Kunos get their act together

Last edited:
Guilty as charged on all counts :D

You don't have to own the games to vote so you can vote on the concept also. For me it is thumbs up for the focus and thumbs down for what they focused on with ACC, which is a shame as I like AC a lot and have over 4000 hours in that game. I'm not a huge fan of GT4 cars but they are bit less OTT so if they end up in the game I might consider buying if it is cheap.
Oh well, it's a shame as the execution of the concept is coming along very nicely in my opinion

Despite it being a good sim, it just does not ‘grab’ me like AC or rF2 does. Maybe it is because I only use a G27 wheel and I don’t feel as connected to the road as with these other sims. And the career mode is not what I expected. Being a single series game, I expected something similar as Codemasters is doing with F1 career mode, creating an ‘experience’. So, I scored it a 7 right now, with room for improvement in the future.

• Deleted member 197115

Lol 5 Kunos emplpyees disagree with a fact proven by webpages or a simple Google pics search. I still like Konus work and encourage them to give more but I don't know why they are treating the community like that.
Why do you keep calling them Konus?

I cheer you up. You can run VR well in ACC with lower specs like mine:

i7 8700K 6x3.7 GHz, Asus ROG Strix Z370-F, 32 GB RAM 3000, Asus Strix GTX-1080TI OC (430.86), SSD Samsung 960 Evo 250 GB, HD WD Black 2TB, PSU BeQuiet! Dark Power P11 750W, CPU fan Noctua NH-D 15S, monitor 1920x1080, Fanatec CSL Elite for PS4&PC, Fanatec CSP v3, Oculus Rift

Smooth frames with all cars on track and weather on. You can use even more expensive specs of course, but they are not essential from here on. My options are at moderate and high levels, I do not feel that I miss out something there. The latest of the latest and the most expensive of the expensive hardware is not needed - but still is "just good enough" for some people nevertheless.

@The Flying Hun would you mind sharing your graphics settings? My system is very similar to yours and I'm struggling to hold 90fps with the rift.

• Trpl scrn - I don't care.
  • VR - I dn't cr.
  • Just GT3 cars and tracks, just present years - that removes half of the grades, but because it is kinda themed and sponsored blancpain title, so it is not right to judge by this, so only -1 for this.
  • I don't like Unreal Engine, should be better if it was "Real Engine", -1.
  • Physics could be greater in my personal opinion, -1. probably limited by the fact that simracers are like they are, so not entirely a fault of a developer. We don't even have great enough simracing youtuber to create truly proper influence on how people perceive simulation, which inevitably goes to perceiving reality well enough in the first place. But who cares right ? By now someone will call me an elitist, and stop gatekeeping :D
  • It did not live up to expectations for the way online racing is going to managed, -1.
  • Screw it... one more -1 point because I am disappointed that whole simracing EXCLUSIVELY has become an imitation of popular modern racing series.
  • UI for me feels.. I don't feel it. AC had stylish UI, even though CM has passed it by functionality. Not taking any points for it.
General audience is very disappointing, maybe because I don't find any familiar souls around, but also not taking any points for that. I think it is important to have great community, especially when it is not huge in numbers, when numbers go huge it will naturally go worse, because there is greater number of simpletons in the world than intelligent original people (just look at simracing subredit, it is awful and sad).

5, even though with better content it would be nicer, I am almost glad that it is only GT3 in ACC.

Feels not right to rate like this, as it still has great cars models, physics, sounds, tracks models are great, online is convenient and could be great, ratings system is nice, leading wet track simulation, development virtually was extremely quick, foundation Kunos is awesome team... but it is, how it is.

6 for me as well.

+Liking the FFB after the 300Hz update and new 5 point tire model
+Sounds are best in class
+Day/Night transitions and track wear look excellent

-Triple screen support
-VR performance and sharpness is bad
-FFB could still use a small tweak (Porsche Cup doesn't feel quite right)
- don't like the graphics
- aweful performance
- a lot of bugs, especially and unfortunately sp affected
- mp filter to find proper sessions is ancient

+ sound
+ good track quality
+ decent ffb and physics
+ variety of modes

Ordered it long before it was released, but it was a mistake. Meanwhile deleted it.
Don't like the graphics?????!!!!!!
Holy f*ckin jumpin' Jesus!
OK, I know... there's such thing like matter of taste.... but ACC's graphics is undisputedly awesome and best on market.

-physics feel nice but something is missing for me as I still lose the car for no reason and can't correct it, other sims I use work as it should with default setup

I think there is a slight possibility that this tells that you are lacking "something", if you can't get at least approximate guess what the "something" is. Perhaps it is actually you missing "something" in your skill/knowledge/experience set ? Even though if you are perhaps simply great driver, maybe you are still just not familiar with some important aspect. Perhaps after all, it really should work the way it does, and you should change.

However, not saying that you are wrong essentially, I don't know.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.