Rate The Sims: Community Edition | Assetto Corsa Competizione

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RD Community Favourite-ACC.jpg

We are looking to crown the 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite' racing game - get your votes in now for our next game on the list... Assetto Corsa Competizione!

Our dear RaceDepartment community. You folks are the most mighty fans of sim racing, often displaying an immense amount of understanding and depth of knowledge when it comes to our favourite hobby.

With sim racing and eSports in such a wonderful boom period of late. Gamers looking to have some fun with their virtual racing machines have never before had such a wide and robust variety of software to enjoy.

Now occasionally I've been in a position to rate new racing titles that have come my way, and almost every time I've received a wide variety of folks agreeing, or strongly disagreeing with my own opinions.

Opinions are great, but sometimes the opinion of one person, with their own likes and dislikes taken into account, can often give a bit of a skewed picture (intentional or not) to the greater cause in which said person is trying to explain.

As such, rather than doing one myself, and in the spirit of engaging some interesting community discussion, I thought it could be fun to let our own community rate each of the key sim racing / racing games available today.

As always with these things, please do try and respect each other and their opinions, and let's try to see if we can give a fun, but fair shake of the stick to each of the games included in this poll.

For transparency, I'm going to be featuring the following racing games over the next weeks:

• Assetto Corsa
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione
  • Automobilista (AMS)
  • DiRT 2.0
  • F1 2019
  • GT Sport
  • GRID
  • iRacing
  • NASCAR Heat 4
  • PCARS 2
  • RaceRoom Racing Experience
  • rFactor 2
  • WRC 8

I'm going to launch the article each Monday evening, and keep the poll running for a full week until the next new article is pushed live. So get your votes in quick!

Once I've completed the full list of games, I'll publish a final results feature, and we can award the winning developer the lofty title of 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite'!

Have fun, stay sensible and let the voting commence!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

9, because ACC has raised the bar on so many level compare to other SIM. the feeling on being there in VR has no equivalent. The mix of photorealistic graphic, night and random rain, details of the cockpit, accuracy of the tracks, accuracy of the rules of the racing series, combine to give a feeling of authenticity.
What is there really works for me, choose a track, car, race duration and I always get a superior SIM racing experience, better than any other SIM to me.
Since day one, I have enjoyed ACC and as it will evolve, I am appreciative to all the efforts to make it better and look forward to keep enjoying racing in it.
Kunos dared to be different and innovative, instead of rehashing the same recipe over and over again, good for them and good for us.

if ACC had decent VR It would be awesome.
ACC has excellent VR for me, I am sorry, you are experiencing something different. UE4 is demanding in VR, but it also look amazing.

For me i love ACC. I love the Blancpain series so it does help. Its the sim/game i have most fun in.
Best racing and close racing. Its got day/night racing, changeable weather, pitstops.
You have the usual dive bombs, whats not to like lol. I gave it an 8

Another minor thing, why is there so little player session info when for example in practise and qualifying? Is it so taboo to know how long the race distance is? I know it’s mentioned on the online browser, but often I forget when I have done some practise and quali. Am I setting the car up for a 10 lap or 25 lap race? Those kind of things make a big difference to what I would do to set the car up.

Agreed a race info page or section would be highly appreciated once you’re in the server. I’m constantly forgetting the race forecast and distance.

8 put of 10 for me. Graphics are top notch, sound is top notch, physics feel great to me, Forcefeedback is great.

For me the driving experience is very immersive and that is by far the most important thing in any sim for me personally. I dont have enough free time to race with AI a lot. So I hotlap and do a few online races. I am hoping the game gets more popular.

A 7 in my case even though it'll surely be a 9 when it'll be finished and ... when most of us will get bored of driving only GT3 cars.

Cars and tracks are allright but....

Most features are unfinished and due to the passage to a next Unreal Engine 4 version very late before the V1.0 release ... this meant more unfinished features.
This was surely a difficult choice to make.... having a latest version for 1.0 ... or rather keep the previous one and better finish some features. Was it the right decision to take or not ? .... a question I surely may not answer.

5 for me but I believe it will jump up to a HUGE number after next HUGE update because Marco is quiet and probably cracking the whip:)
-needs more tool tips, documentation in game
-even if the info is on the forum it's sometimes hard to find and I don't live on the forum
-graphics are great
-sounds are great
-physics feel nice but something is missing for me as I still lose the car for no reason and can't correct it, other sims I use work as it should with default setup
-I posted on the forum that it would be nice if the devs can have all manufacturer recommended wheel settings on your profile and in game put as a sticky and there has been no response:( I know they are busy but they respond to the regulars a lot with other posts.
-have a nice day!

I gave it 2 points for being less sporadic than its predecessor and docked it the other 8 for having no content of any worth. They're two sides of the same coin so 5 might have been fairer but I'm not giving a game with 0 interesting cars and 1 interesting track a 5.
Isn't that like saying you hate the new Codemasters F1 game because you don't like F1 cars?

I gave it a 8. It is designed for GT3 racing and Blancpain. I totally get why there are the number of tracks and types of cars it has. It is following a particular series just like F1 20xx. Since Blancpain doesn't race the Nords, it shouldn't be in the game just like it isn't in F1 20xx. It should have a sh!tload of cars. Blancpain series doesn't have a ton of cars. I assume they will eventually support triple screens and better VR, but I think most people don't get that triple screens and VR are niche implementations. If a company is going to get a product out to support the largest number of expected buyers, they hit 80% of the of the features and then circle back, if ever.

I don't play other people online so that is no issue to me. One of the things I have seen as a complaint in every sim is that the AI is not good. I actually love unpredictable AI because it has done wonders for my hand/eye coordination. In real life you have no idea what the driver next to you is going to do. I believe that makes it real.

People hail AC, but I have found AC with a DD wheel is worse than ACC. ACC with a DD wheel is a pleasure to drive. No game feels like a real car, but this game has a really nice feel to it.

Isn't that like saying you hate the new Codemasters F1 game because you don't like F1 cars?
Guilty as charged on all counts :D

You don't have to own the games to vote so you can vote on the concept also. For me it is thumbs up for the focus and thumbs down for what they focused on with ACC, which is a shame as I like AC a lot and have over 4000 hours in that game. I'm not a huge fan of GT4 cars but they are bit less OTT so if they end up in the game I might consider buying if it is cheap.

There are certainly problems, the fact you have to learn everything that hard way can be frustrating. The career is so basic there's really no incentive to go through it, although I didn't think Kunos would be able to produce a career that was on the same level as industry leaders like the F1 titles, there's too much expense and time consuming production to create all those cut scenes. But that's fine by me, I hate all that pandering to ego nonsense.

Once I'm sitting in the car on track though, it's incredible and that's what Kunos always do better than any other sim I've tried, the driving feel. I can pretty much forgive everything else because the driving is just so addictive.

I'm still expecting this title to improve, any criticisms laid against it may not be valid in 2020 because Kunos are still working away on it in the background.

1-6 points:Trolls?:confused: What is the (BIG) problem? Incredible. Which simulator do you play? Did you really play ACC (not beta)? :rolleyes:

Do you realise that giving something 9 or 10 is saying that it's above and beyond anything else and you would only play it for the rest of your life and nothing else? At least that is how I see it. 8 is job well done, but with space to improve, anything less means that it's missing something. 9 is above standart, when product is more than expected, and 10 is a masterpiece that comes once in a decade. So, are you really throwing around 9s and 10s so easily?

Solid 9.
Racing at night is so photo realistic it’s incredible what Kunos have achieved with this simulation.
ACC even caught my wife’s attention and she hates “video games”. She sat and watched a full session at Monza, that says a lot to me.

The FFB is probably the best the genre currently has, I enjoy all the sims but this one really is something special.

1-6 points:Trolls?:confused: What is the (BIG) problem? Incredible. Which simulator do you play? Did you really play ACC (not beta)? :rolleyes:
All the 9 or 10 are delusional. A 9 or 10 game is a near perfect product, and anyone saying ACC is near perfect is insane or are just voting for those numbers to artificially improve the score. I would understand an 8 for someone that really likes ACC, but beyond that it's ridiculous for a product that isn't even finished. I would say the same for a score of 1~2, which is for games beyond broken, so anything between 3~8 is somewhat fine.

All the 9 or 10 are delusional. A 9 or 10 game is a near perfect product, and anyone saying ACC is near perfect is insane or are just voting for those numbers to artificially improve the score. I would understand an 8 for someone that really likes ACC, but beyond that it's ridiculous for a product that isn't even finished. I would say the same for a score of 1~2, which is for games beyond broken, so anything between 3~8 is somewhat fine.

Thank you @Kafir for explaining how we should vote, also interesting to know who is delusional and what is fine, we highly value your opinion on what is correct and what is not. Again thank you, that post should be a sticky. Some of us might feel a little bad about them self since we are delusional, insane or ridiculous, but the truth had to be told, not every one is courageous enough on the internet to tell it how it is, very refreshing. ;)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.