RaceRoom Racing Experience WTCR 2018 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceRoom DLC 5.jpg RaceRoom DLC Release 1.jpg RaceRoom DLC Release 2.jpg RaceRoom DLC Release 4.jpg RaceRoom DLC Release 6.jpg RaceRoom DLC Release 7.jpg
RaceRoom Racing Experience has returned from maintenance with seven new cars available to purchase.. the 2018 FIA WTCR is here!

We've heard plenty about these new cars on the build up to release, and now finally we have the opportunity to take them out on the virtual circuits in RaceRoom Racing Experience. Featuring seven brands of car from VW, Audi, Alfa Romeo, Peugeot, Hyundai, Honda and Seat, the new WTCR pack comes with 25 liveries and can be purchased from the RaceRoom Racing Experience store for £13.34, or individual cars can be purchased separately for £3.55.

Update details:
Download size = 634 MB
Client version = 0.3.0.6416
Client BuildID = 3033701
Dedi version = 45.0.695
Dedi BuildID = 3033704

Content:
  • Alfa Romeo Giulietta TCR
  • Audi RS 3 LMS
  • Honda Civic TCR
  • Hyundai i30 N TCR
  • Peugeot 308 TCR
  • Seat Cupra TCR
  • Volkswagen Golf GTI TCR

Game:
  • Added "Launch Control" key mapping. WTCR cars are currently the only cars featuring it.

Usually releasing alongside a game update, Sector3 have confirmed that on this occasion the regular update will likely appear late March or early September, leaving todays update with "just" the new DLC and a new "launch control" option that works with the new car set.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is a free to play racing simulation from Sector3 Studios.

RaceRoom DLC Release 3.jpg

If you like RaceRoom and want to keep up to date with all the latest news and discussions, head on over to the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum. We host a whole range of top quality club racing events in our Racing Club, plus we offer a great place to hang out and discuss the game with your fellow R3E fans. Pop over and say hello today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Have you tried the new DLC yet? What is your first impression of the new pack? Which car is your favourite ? Let us know in the comments section below!

No, they should not be locked down. How many wheels have you owned? They are all different and they all feel completely different, meaning different settings are needed in order to get a similar "feel" across them. As already mentioned, the defaults are generally very good in R3E and are what the developers consider to be optimal. Whether it's optimal for you and me or not is a different matter, because FFB is completely subjective. This is obvious by the wildly differing opinions on which sim has the best feeling FFB... everybody has their own opinion.

Besides that, the reality is that FFB is not necessarily about making things feel "realistic". The "reality" is that in a modern car you get very little feedback from the wheel, so if that was all we were getting it would be very hard to work out what our sim-cars were doing. FFB is supposed to be trying to make up for all the other forces we aren't getting to help us determine car behaviour, and that means giving us forces that we would never normally feel. How many and how strong those forces are is, you guessed it, personal preference.

So yeah, options are a good thing and I really don't think that a few people being too lazy to optimise them to their own personal preferences is a good reason to lock the rest of us out from adjusting them.

A sports car wheel will brake your wrist if you are not careful. There is lots of feedback. Road cars with overly-assisted power steering, yes, those are numb.

Please help me to understand how any of these (the only settings I have been talking about all along) are personal preferences:

• Understeer
  • Vertical Load
  • Lateral Force
  • Steering Rack
Ever wonder why the vast majority of AMS users (according to reviews) are gobsmacked at how good (and natural) the FFB feels out of the box? Every car. No fiddling. All wheels. That can only occur when people are not able to screw around with important settings like the ones above.

Ever wonder how the FFB in rF2 can feel so amazing on one car and then not so good on another. It's because some cars are programmed properly and some are not. Because of this inconsistency, people spend hours fiddling with the FFB settings trying to "correct" the feel for one car while then ruining it for another. AMS only has that problem with some modded cars because Reiza has been careful with quality control on their own vehicles. They spend a ton of hours designing their product so it works consistently and optimally for the 99%. No fiddling or training course required to get the best FFB out of the sim--just hop in and drive after configuring the most basic strength and direction settings. ISI/S397 could have solved the problem by ensuring that all their cars had the latest/best programming.

There is also an optimal setting for the R3E adjustments listed above that will work best with every R3E car and every wheel. We just don't know what it is. And any fiddling is just exacerbating differences between older gen cars and the latest ones that appear to have better/newer FFB programming.

The settings you've listed above are in fact the only settings I change, for example the understeer setting makes the wheel go light when the car is understeering.

The setting for understeer that gives me the best feedback on my TM-TX Wheel is not the same setting that gives me the best feel on my TS-XW wheel so I would have to disagree with your comments.

I would much prefer to have the options available than to have the developer set them how they think it should work and then lock them off!

Please help me to understand how any of these (the only settings I have been talking about all along) are personal preferences:
  • Understeer
  • Vertical Load
  • Lateral Force
  • Steering Rack
Because... they are. As I have already stated, every wheel is different and therefore the same settings will not feel good across all of them. It's that simple. It's also totally false to say that everybody will want to feel all of those forces in the exact same way as YOU want to feel them. Some people will want certain forces stronger or weaker, certain car characteristics to be more or less obvious, based on their driving style or... personal preference.

There is in fact is not an optimal setting for R3E because it's totally dependent on the wheel you are using and what you want from the FFB. As I also already stated, good settings have been provided by the developers, which they call "default". If you agree with their preferences, great. If not, they've given us the choice of tailoring things exactly as we want them as unique individuals. Good for them, because I for one am sick of games getting dumbed down with options removed to pacify the lazy masses.

Because... they are. As I have already stated, every wheel is different and therefore the same settings will not feel good across all of them. It's that simple. It's also totally false to say that everybody will want to feel all of those forces in the exact same way as YOU want to feel them. Some people will want certain forces stronger or weaker, certain car characteristics to be more or less obvious, based on their driving style or... personal preference.

There is in fact is not an optimal setting for R3E because it's totally dependent on the wheel you are using and what you want from the FFB. As I also already stated, good settings have been provided by the developers, which they call "default". If you agree with their preferences, great. If not, they've given us the choice of tailoring things exactly as we want them as unique individuals. Good for them, because I for one am sick of games getting dumbed down with options removed to pacify the lazy masses.

OK, we can agree to disagree. But to be clear, it has nothing to do with how I want to feel things. I don't have a personal opinion or preconceived preference about how things should feel--I want it to feel the best possible way it can based on the quality of the physics simulation in the game. For that purpose, you would not want to adjust those settings--you would want the devs to adjust them since they know what they are doing and they best understand the possibilities and limitations of their software (since none is perfect). Others obviously think that they know more or have to compensate for some oddly designed hardware. No worries.

OK, we can agree to disagree. But to be clear, it has nothing to do with how I want to feel things. I don't have a personal opinion or preconceived preference about how things should feel--I want it to feel the best possible way it can based on the quality of the physics simulation in the game. For that purpose, you would not want to adjust those settings--you would want the devs to adjust them since they know what they are doing and they best understand the possibilities and limitations of their software (since none is perfect). Others obviously think that they know more or have to compensate for some oddly designed hardware. No worries.

Cool. Then do as the first reply to your question suggested. Stick to the defaults and turn down all the canned effects in the bottom section.

That's your solution if you want to feel the FFB as the devs intended and physics but with a more Reiza style philosophy. 'Reiza do this, and it is right so everyone should do it' is not you approaching the subject with as much of an open mind as you think.

Either way. The game gives you the freedom to change these to your own preference. Dont think those middle options should be touched by mere mortals, leave them alone.

As a big fan of Reiza's FWD cars I think these offer one of the most comparable experiences, especially with the pronounced lift-off oversteer. The FFB probably isn't 1:1 (ignoring the fact these are different cars) but you get a car that isn't purely defined by understeer, and the FFB does a solid job of communicating the balancing act between the two extremes. Any glaring changes in behaviour between the two are likely down to the physics themselves. Just try last years WTCC cars side by side as testimony.

BTW, I guess I have to eat my words regarding the default FFB settings being quite good. I realized it's been a while since I last used them, so I did some tests...and at least for my T300, they're actually way worse than I remembered.

But, on the other hand, they're also easily fixed. For some reason, the default steering force percentage for my wheel is set to 70 %. Not sure why it's set like this, but it results in a very weak FFB (with the default car multiplier) that barely reaches 50 % of the FFB meter even under fairly extreme circumstances. So the steering forces are very low compared to the added effects, especially the engine vibration one.

Just setting the steering force to 115-120 % (just to get stronger forces to better utilize the available dynamic range with some mild clipping on say hitting a curb in the middle of a corner) and turning off the engine vibrations immediately felt thousand times better. In fact I managed to beat my personal best at Bathurst with the Porsche GT3 R by an entire second using these settings (though it might have something to do with more practice, of course).

Had to reprogram my brain after doing the Esports races at Hungaroring then jumping in a GT3 on Nordschleife :confused:
Need a poll to find out what’s people’s favourite wtcr car so far :).
Cheers.

I literally quoted exactly what you wrote...

But as I said in the first comment, you already fell deep down that trap and you are getting WAY too caught up in some menu differences rather than spending your time to actually try it out and adjust it to your preference.

Good luck to you, you're going to need it.

I have no intention of continuing this whole saga, but your fact-free replies and repeated "Disagrees" cannot be ignored. Please inform us where the adjustments for FFB Understeer, Vertical Load, Lateral Force or Steering Rack are in either AMS or rF2. The whole gang here would undoubtedly like to adjust them.

Basically this. :p
If they let you pick and choose what track you did a test drive on... why would you buy the track when you could just test drive on it instead? RR Raceway is plenty good enough to get a feel for the cars and how they drive.

or...since the whole thing is web based, they could allow you to test drive only on one of the tracks you already own and are more likely to use in game ;)

Well after so more time with these cars some things I have been reminded of with raceroom is the way the cars feel like they are riding on rubber, hard to explain but if you have the game and use a wheel you'll get what i mean i hope, it feels so natural and 'real'.
The WTCR cars feel incredible over the rumble strips at Brands Hatch for example and also at the limit of grip around a sweeping corner at say Zolder, you can really feel it.
Simply stunning.
Also i found this with the WTCC cars in RRE, the FFB is astounding in the WTCR cars, i can actually feel what each individual wheel is doing, you can tell one of the rears is slightly lifting and scuffing the tarmac causing the car to get unbalanced.
Truly amazing.
Just like with the WTCC cars i am not sure if any of this is really happening or because the whole package is so strong with the sounds etc that i 'feel' more so put it down to FFB....either way. I tell you what, this is special.

But, on the other hand, they're also easily fixed. For some reason, the default steering force percentage for my wheel is set to 70 %. Not sure why it's set like this, but it results in a very weak FFB (with the default car multiplier) that barely reaches 50 % of the FFB meter even under fairly extreme circumstances. So the steering forces are very low compared to the added effects, especially the engine vibration one.

Something wonky is probably going on if you are only getting 50% on the FFB meter on the default profile :p

The default gain for the T300 is 100%, and even with 70% steering force, that is more than plenty to be maxing out the graph.

To that point though, the steering force is best set below 100% now, and has been that way for nearly 3 yrs now since the physics first started moving away from that old floaty feeling. Back then the vert, and steering forces were better to be set at or above 100%, but now that isnt really needed or preferred anymore.

Since then, I have never liked using a high steering force because it just feels like it makes the steering heavier while numbing out some of the finer details that could be coming through the FFB.

I was looking for some info on the S3 forum regarding the above... but the search is too cluttered for me to wade through and was only turning up really old results from before the physics changed and some FFB updates that released in early 2016.

Interesting you mention the engine vibration though. I think I only have that on 5%. Any higher, and my wheel feels like it has turned into a bumble bee with how much it buzzes :D

They do not over/understeer as much and are a lot quicker.
That's funny because for me these cars don't over/understeer as much as the WTCCs. :p And when I do get lift-off oversteer I find it much easier to catch and recover from in these too. I can't comment on overall pace because I don't like the WTCCs and can't be bothered to drive them to compare! ;)

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 6.0%