RealFeel settings and discussion

I would like to tune RealFeel in order to make the most out of my wheel. I'm experiencing the same issues with my Fanatec Clubsport V2 as I did with my Thrustmaster T500RS and a friend's TM TX. I can feel resistance, the wheel countersteer due to oversteer, and things like bumps, undulations, etc. BUT what I hardly feel - and it's the most important thing for me when I race - is the actual tyre grip itself (both, lateral and longitudinal) especially the front tyres'.

E.g. I feel almost no difference from having full tyre grip, to just slowing getting some slip, to being in a good slip angle, to pushing slightly too far past that slip angle (just a bit), to pushing really far past the slip angle, to pushing super far past like an understeering lunatic :D. Furthermore, the lack of FFB info is obviously therefore present when trying to lessen the slip angle as you're in the re-gaining grip phase - no FFB information.

Therefore I've created this thread for use to start helping each other with RealFeel values in order to get more "pure tyre grip/slip" information from our wheels and just to optimize this absolutely wonderful game with all our different wheels out there :)

Yes I'm driving on "Low" as it was recommended somewhere. Will try on "Medium", "High" and "Full" and see if it makes a difference (improvement) to me.

Honestly most of what I'm reading here sounds like rocket sience to me. So I'm sure I'm not gonna play around with these values, as long as it feels OK for me. (and so it does atm)

But if you feel like you've found some real improvements, please describe the changes to make as simple as possible, so I can give it a try.

"High" and "full" won't do much usefull in-terms of FFB information unless you lower RealFeel from 100%, and you may possibly have to edit the controller INI file as well (particularily the few FFB settings regarding front tyre grip).

Anyways, I did some tests...

- Ok, so with voice enabled in RealFeel, the setting's value get's told to you by the voice as you change it. Nice! :)

- The problem - from what it seems - is that the keyboard shortcuts are still only adjusting the original RealFeel values from when it was released a while back, therefore the keyboard shortcuts do not seem to allow us to adjust the "Kr". "A", "Ks", "Kf", and "FrontGripEffect".

- I therefore tried adjusting "FrontGripEffect" while in-game. I alt-tabbed out and edited the RealFeelPlugini.ini file (located in your main/root Stock Car Extreme folder) but, as expected, the change doesn't apply if you're still in-game. I tried disabling RealFeel and then re-enabling but nothing changed.

- The only way to make those changes is to quit game, edit, save, then go back into game. This is going to make it difficult and time consuming to experiment.

I hope Rieza updates RealFeel and integrates it further in-game, or at the very least, allow all options to be adjusted while in-game. A manual describing each and every setting would be great as well.

I'm missing feeling of grip changes when you work your way through a corner and doing corrections with steering wheel. I just don't feel what's happening with front tyres at that moment.
source
Pretty much what I feel as well. FFB regarding the front tyres isn't changing - from the moment you turn the wheel under braking, to going through the corner, to exiting - as you're front-tryes are constantly changing to different degrees of slip/grip (whether by minute or not-so-minute amounts). Instead, it's just mostly resistance/centering/self-aligning-torque, oversteer feelings (wheel turning in opposite direction of slide), and bumps/track undulations that I feel.

Last edited:
Ok. I raised the FrontGripEffect of realfeel from the default 0.2 to 0.8. Testing the stock cars with default setup besides steering lock according to my real-life lock (33 and 900). Now, when you turn the wheel and get understeer the FFB definitely does get lighter but it feels too much like it's either on or off, there's no variation depending on how for into the slip angle you're in or how much slip angle you've gotten rid of (e.g. as you regain grip from understeer). It's too much just either on or off. It's still a start though :)

I hope we get all the definitions of all those RealFeel settings

Wheel Fanatec CSW Base V1.5 + BMW rim + Formula rim | Pedals CSP V2 | Shifter Clubsport Shifter SQ V1.5 | Cockpit CSL Seat | Handbrake Clubsport Handbrake |

Fanatec Wheel Tuning Menu | SEn: OFF | FF: 100 | SHo: 100 | AbS: 100 | LIn: OFF | dEA: OFF | drI: 1 | For: 100 | SPr: OFF | dPr: OFF |

Fanatec Driver Menu | Wheel angle: 900° | Dampening strength: 0 % |

Fanatec Driver version: 219 | Firmware version: 095 |

Look at page 2 and try the values please.
I will Check with guys If They have some better figures since I did this pdf
http://sim-racing-evolution.fr/uploader/files/Patrick/Uploader/Volants.pdf

@Spinelli
I know it's an old thread but i was wondering if you have any news about the files tweaking.
Did you change parameters in controll.ini?
The only things I've changed are the max steering in realfeel using motec data but I'm still missing that info about the max grip in corners.
How did you solve that?
I have a csr, cheaper than yours but i guess it works on the same principle.

I haven't done nearly as much experimenting as I would like but I really need to. Front lateral and longitudional grip/slip doesn't exhibit much feedback and even less with, for e.g. the Brazilian V8s and Aussie V8s.

There is a 60s F1 mod that relays fantastic FFB with regards to the front tyres. If you download it, make sure you edit your RealFeel.ini with the mod's custom settings (you must do this yourself). I tried copying all it's settings and applying it to the Brazilian V8s but it didnt have the effects I hoped for.

The vehicle modelling (suspension layout and geometry, etc.) can make a difference so I'm guessing there's only so much you can do with the RealFeel.ini since it's based of the car suspension. The Controller.ini has FFB based on what's happening with the car from a grip/slip point of view (some people refer to these as fake or canned effects) rather than suspension and steering rack physics and therefore you can also play with those settings and mix them in with RealFeel by lowering RealFeel from 100% and raising FFB level from low.

There are many ways to experiment.

I haven't done nearly as much experimenting as I would like but I really need to. Front lateral and longitudional grip/slip doesn't exhibit much feedback and even less with, for e.g. the Brazilian V8s and Aussie V8s.

There is a 60s F1 mod that relays fantastic FFB with regards to the front tyres. If you download it, make sure you edit your RealFeel.ini with the mod's custom settings (you must do this yourself). I tried copying all it's settings and applying it to the Brazilian V8s but it didnt have the effects I hoped for.

The vehicle modelling (suspension layout and geometry, etc.) can make a difference so I'm guessing there's only so much you can do with the RealFeel.ini since it's based of the car suspension. The Controller.ini has FFB based on what's happening with the car from a grip/slip point of view (some people refer to these as fake or canned effects) rather than suspension and steering rack physics and therefore you can also play with those settings and mix them in with RealFeel by lowering RealFeel from 100% and raising FFB level from low.

The only time i feel grip loss is when i lock the tyres...
some times the wheel is just hard and mute (i.e.brazilian v8), being new to simracing it's hard and a bit frustating when it feels like it's missing something and not knowing what to do.
notec helps with the steering rack value.
I usually use low ffb with realfeel 40-50.
Some cars have a stiff wheel, some others soft like jelly but i guess that's normal.
some times i think i got it and a day later is like day 1.
I wish i could sit next to someone hands on the wheel and learn in an intensive course

The only time i feel grip loss is when i lock the tyres...
some times the wheel is just hard and mute (i.e.brazilian v8), being new to simracing it's hard and a bit frustating when it feels like it's missing something and not knowing what to do.
notec helps with the steering rack value.
I usually use low ffb with realfeel 40-50.
Some cars have a stiff wheel, some others soft like jelly but i guess that's normal.
some times i think i got it and a day later is like day 1.
I wish i could sit next to someone hands on the wheel and learn in an intensive course
Yup, I know exactly what you mean. It's like the majority of the game's output of FFB is focused on just resistance/spring/centering rather than telling you all sorts of little nibbles, vibrations, jerks, FFB strength-loss, resistance, loss, etc. etc to tell you all those 100s of little details happening every second. It's just very numb with too much "focus" on the constant resistance/spring/centering rather than all sorts of information regarding longitudinal and lateral tyre grip/slip/re-gain-grip (and differen't amounts of them).

I do suggest upping your FFB though. It won't solve the problem but it'll definitely help feelin the little that is there. If you haven't edited any thing then use "Low" FFB and I suggest using it around 73% for the Brazilian V8s and in the 60s for the Aussie V8s. I know I originally said 80 - 90% but I feel the game outputting too much clipping, too soon, even at 80 - 90 % with most cars.

I think Reiza should investigate the realfeel values and re-adjust them in a future SCE update as I feel most of the cars software clip at even just 80% (software clip, not hardware, so it's game/software induced regardless of how good/powerful your wheel is.

Yup, I know exactly what you mean. It's like the majority of the game's output of FFB is focused on just resistance/spring/centering rather than telling you all sorts of little nibbles, vibrations, jerks, FFB strength-loss, resistance, loss, etc. etc to tell you all those 100s of little details happening every second. It's just very numb with too much "focus" on the constant resistance/spring/centering rather than all sorts of information regarding longitudinal and lateral tyre grip/slip/re-gain-grip (and differen't amounts of them).

I do suggest upping your FFB though. It won't solve the problem but it'll definitely help feelin the little that is there. If you haven't edited any thing then use "Low" FFB and I suggest using it around 73% for the Brazilian V8s and in the 60s for the Aussie V8s. I know I originally said 80 - 90% but I feel the game outputting too much clipping, too soon, even at 80 - 90 % with most cars.

I think Reiza should investigate the realfeel values and re-adjust them in a future SCE update as I feel most of the cars software clip at even just 80% (software clip, not hardware, so it's game/software induced regardless of how good/powerful your wheel is.

I did more experimenting with little time in my hands and The more I change the more confused I am.

You are saying that if I change the controll.ini i need to raise ffb to medium? I wouldn't go over that
ffb is usually btw 70 and 80, i like to have a bit of weight in my wheel only because otherwise i can't feel anything, its the bottom of the wheels ( csr forza!)
It's amazing the huge difference btw retro and stock v8, sometime v8 doesn't even have mass transfer... wheel doesnt do anything if I spin.
I hope that we will have a ffb clipping graphic tool in the future if it's not too much of an hassle for @Reiza Studios and I even wonder if it could be possible implement the option to change the ffb while driving (like in Iracing).
It would make the whole thing quicker.

Im new to this sort of things and I am no genius at understanding all this info:(

FFB discussions are a blend of informative, entertaining and most of all subjective!

Someone will talk about what they feel in sim X, what they lack in sim Y...
Someone else will say exactly the opposite.

I've been fortunate enough to work with F3 / GP2 drivers and sim engineers. Their drivers will have totally different opinions on the sim FFB feel despite driving the same car in real life. The strength driver 1 will say is real is totally different from driver 2. Even the feeling when driving results in 2 very different opinions.

It is *very* hard to isolate the feel of one component in the car when driving being hot, working against G forces, bouncing around...

Not to be negative towards us simracers but if pro drivers don't know what it should feel like, we stand no chance ourselves! :) Plus these pro drivers use high end direct drive wheels which only very few of us can afford.

One thing is sure though, the steering forces might have nothing to do with the front tire grip levels at all. Steering should mostly get lighter even before you've reached the maximum grip at the front. This effect is only small in GSCE at the moment.

The FFB in GSCE comes purely from physics, both the mechanical forces from 'jacking up the car' (in karts for an extreme example) and the tire forces pushing and pulling on the steering arms. The tire part of the feel is not perfect, this force doesn't drop off enough as slip angle increases. If anything though the FFB in GSCE is a better 'front grip indicator' than in real life.

But most of us have a G27, Thrustmaster or perhaps a Fanatec Clubsport wheel. These are increasingly good, but also quite different and in each case not quite powerful enough.

So we have:
- even pro drivers don't know what the real wheel feels like
- meaning that us simracers are probably no better...
- Most sim FFB wheels are limited in force, speed, FFB deadzone..

And you get pages of discussion on each sim on every forum about which is better..

For GSC, the realfeel.ini you can find the parameters:

MaxForceAtSteeringRack:
Larger number = less steering forces, also less clipping (if you had any before)
negative or positive numbers should be kept, so you can go from -4000 to -5000 to reduce the FFB and reduce clipping. If the car has a positive value, say 8000, going to 9000 will slightly reduce the steering forces and reduce clipping.

Making the values smaller does the opposite, but beware of clipping. You don't want the higher half of the forces to dissapear in a cloud of clipping.

SteeringDamper:
This is the max change of FFB per 'time unit' basically.. Smaller numbers will make make the wheel not react as quickly to fast changes in force. Its not a pure damper but kinda works like one.

We use 11500 everywhere because we want EVERY change in sim physics FFB to be sent to your wheel.

Perhaps if we ever do a 1950s Cadillac we may adjust this value but really just keep it at 11500.

FFBMixerRealFeelPercent
Leave at 100. Sure you can mix with 'vanilla' FFB or with LeoFFB but I would advise against that. You would just be adding more variables that are tricky to judge into a blend that you most likely don't quite have control over.. More parameters isn't always better! :)

FrontGripEffect
This will reduce FFB as tire slip angle increases. Fundamentally realistic but the execution isn't perfect because it also mutes the suspension forces, rather than just the tire forces. You can experiment between 0 and 1, I typically don't like to go beyond 0.25.

SmoothingLevel
This is just a smoothing filter which will attempt to smooth spikes in the FFB, at the cost of some latency. I prefer as low latency as possible so I always use 0, as we do in our supplied settings. Bigger cars like the Camaro will purely from their physics feel smoother in FFB than a kart for example.

Kf, Ks, A, Kr
These are the ''parking lot'' FFB parameters from LeoFFB. These are only active at very low speed, and should not be felt once you are driving, even in a hairpin.
Kf: is the maximum force you feel when the car stands still, to turn the tires. 11500 is max.
Ks: is the stiffness of the tires, a higher number will make it feel less 'elastic'
A: escapes me at the moment! sorry! :)
Kr: How fast all of the above fall away as car speed increases. At higher values the forces drop off quicker as you speed up.

These last 4 numbers should not affect the car at all at racing speed. They just give the steering some weight and elasticity when you stand still. This is because the proper physics are not active at 0km/h and only start to work when you pick up some speed.

Kr we have often at about 3, which is actually makes some of the standstill forces still remaining at low speeds.

Very important: Kf, Ks, A and Kr don't affect the feeling at normal speeds, unless Kr is too small or the slowest corner on the track is super super slow.

Separating RealFeel from the Parking Lot values
To tweak the actual driving forces, you can turn the parking stuff off by setting:
Kf=0

To feel just the parking lot forces and how they diminish as you go faster, use
MaxForceAtSteeringRack=1000000000

This makes the physics forces almost zero so all you feel are the Kf, Ks, A and Kr values. If you do that with Kr at 10 and then with Kr at 0.5, you will feel very well how these parking forces fall away with increasing car speed.

Quick and Easy:
Forces *when actually driving* are the most important.
Set Kr fairly high, say 6, to make sure the parking lot FFB is never active when you actually drive at speed.

Then all you have to tweak is the MaxForceAtSteeringRack as described above, and some subjective FrontGripEffect.

In game, the FFB strength % is a great way to change the overall forces you feel. FFB can be set to 'LOW' for most wheels.

High End Wheels (direct drive)
Higher end wheels might benefit from damping. This can either be adjusted globally in the controller.ini (userdata/yourname/controller.ini) :

FFB steer damper coefficient="0.17500"
FFB steer damper saturation="1.00000"

These are not used at LOW force settings, so you must run MEDIUM to enable. Keep saturation at 1.0, and adjust the damper from 0.17500 to whatever works for your wheel. On SimSteering wheels I tend to go up to about 0.7, but this can be different for other wheels, plus it is subjective!

Alternatively, possibly easier, you can leave the in game FFB at 'LOW' and apply some 'overall damping' in your wheel software. On SimSteering for example you can have this 'permanently active damping' this way.

Hope this helps!

There is no such thing sadly. Given how the deadzone on most wheels starts at almost zero though we'd have to make the min force a curve, which would be different for each wheel, and never quite good at super low forces.

If the wheel has say a 10% deadzone where forces ramp up we'd do the forces x10 at 0 steering, x9 at 1% steering, x8 at 2% steering x7 a 3% ... until we are linear, x1 at 10%.

One problem with FFB deadzones on wheels is that initially there is no or almost no response and even if we do nothing x 100000 its still nothing!

Its on our 'would be good to do' things but secretly we hope more wheels also get more linear as simracing advances!

@Niels_at_home, thanks for all this explanation! I really like the way you do things, even more that you share it with who enjoy this little passion.

Having said that, I would like to clear up a doubt, or suggest something. Not demanding or else, just for the sake of science. Haha..

I do not fully agree with your way to ramp up on FFB (or maybe I just didn't understand it properly), but that made me think of a way to diminish deadzones. What if, in stead of modifying only the initial forces, we carry that to the whole range of forces? I made a graph to try to explain it:

Sem título.png

Let's take a steering wheel with 30% of deadzone (exggerated for viewing purposes). If we make a plot with calculated FFB on the horizontal axis, and FFB sent to the wheel on the vertical, the default FFB would be the blue line and, obviously, it would result in 30% of deadzone.

If we add a threshold to compensate for the wheel's internal friction forces, and maintain clipping at 100%, we would get the orange line and virtually no deadzone. But that doesn't look good for movement inversion, so a third function seems likely.

Correcting the orange curve with a simple linear start, we can reduce the deadzone in this case to 12, less than half (or much less if there's no need for visual clarity :p), and no major problems when crossing to the other side, for negatives values.

There are some parameters we can change in order to optimize the deadzone, and leave only the "SetDeadzone" for the user to try with. I really don't know if this is doable or not, but I can't think of why it shouldn't be.

If this is somehow helpful in anyway, tell me and I can try to explain everything I have in mind. Otherwise, just give me a beer for the effort. Haha

Cheers!

Can you please post the link to the mod you are talking about?

Thanks

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back