Question: Is Formula One Boring?

I watch recently F1 from 2005 to 2010 and my answer is: yes

From championship point of view formula 1 same as in previous years: 1-3 team fighting for victories but in midfield battles was tighter
some stats to prove- number of different drivers on podiums:
2002 - 7
2003 - 10
2004 - 8
2005 - 13
2006 - 12
2007 - 8
2008 - 14
2009 - 10
2010 - 8

2016 -9
2017 -7
2018 -7
2019* -5

My solution to make the racing great again:

1. F2 engine but power increased and 10,000+ rpm
2. no halo
3. Bail Merc out
4. Replace Merc with BMW, Audi, or any other German manufacturer
5. Make the tires last 100+ laps so drivers can push
6. No more Tilkedromes
7. No DRS
8. Kill the FIA
9. Unrestrict the cars
10. No team orders for unpredictable wins
11. 9-speed fully adjustable gearbox

Every year they tell the people... hey we are changing the wing here and there and next year it´s gonna make the races better. Believe us, we have an experts comission…
The result::poop:
F1 is not a racing series. It is sport entertainment and a real bad made and boring one.:thumbsdown:
There is a simple solution for every race fan: Just quit watching the trash. Loosing TV money is what hurts them.;)
Watch, Moto GP(all classes), Blancpain Gt series, Imsa, VLN, WTCR and and and… there is so much good racing to enjoy!;)

I don't think it's boring, it's a bit like calling any other sport boring when one person or team dominates.
I don't really care about the winners, I care about the top of the midfield and drivers who outperform their cars.
In MotoGP Marquez has been dominating and unless he breaks a lot of bones will continue to dominate, but nobody complains. When Michael Jordan was dominating, nobody was complaining about NBA and the Bulls being boring... There's just sooo much negativity around F1.
But of course the racing can be improved, the budget cap is the most important step. These are still the fastest cars with the fastest drivers with a one or two exceptions, but it's largely the fastest drivers with effectively the fastest cars in history. Let's see and wait for 2021/22, I'm sure F1 eventually will be like the beginning of 2012 :)

winner-by-season.png

Made by the user "moreland" at Autosport.

It really shows how, even during the worst Schumacher years F1 wasn't as predictable over time.

Not to mention that 39 of the 40 possible top 5 positions so far in F1 2019 have been taken by the same guys. Only Gasly in Monaco who got 5th that broke the perfect top 5 combo after Ferrari effed up Leclerc.

Good lord, I'm so sick of hearing this boring or not boring talk. I don't know why people can't understand that racing isn't always gonna be exciting. That's why it is called racing. Exciting things happen naturally. If you guys wanna watch 2 hours of overtaking and excitement... go set yourself up a chair on the side of I-95 or the M-4. I mean come on guys.

Yes boring for sure, but it never annoys me. F1 has another task, which is to push the front line of automotive technology, which, dare I say, is more important than pleasing the viewers. Aerodynamics, engine, hybrid system, etc. Merc's next CLA 45 can produce over 400 hp with just a 2.0 turbo I4. I bet part of F1's blood is flowing through the vein of that 4 cylinder engine.

You often see those professors who give awful classes which are dull, hard and boring. The reason why universities keep them is because they are producing top notch research results. You as a student has every right to dislike that professor, since you paid the tuition, and you want good quality classes. However, that does not mean that old nerdy professor is not doing his job well. To him, the more urgent task is to push science forward.

I stopped buying F1 tickets years ago and I mostly went to IMSA series or IndyCar, but I am always grateful to F1. F1 is doing its job perfectly fine. If you or your children can buy affordable and efficient hybrid/electric cars 20 years later, you might have this year's F1 to thank.

I used to love it. Used to get up at the crack of dawn when I lived in the UK to watch the Australian, Malaysian and Japanese GPs
Used to watch Practice, took days off work to go to Silverstone during testing week.
Used to go abroad to catch races in America, Spain, Italy, Malaysia, Singapore and of course attended a lot of races at Silverstone in the 90s and 00s.

For me, its lost a lot of what made it a spectacle. There isn't the wow factor anymore. I haven't been to a live race since the last one held at Sepang and Singapore of the same year.
When I watch it on TV, of which most weekends Qualifying is actually more exciting for me, I fall asleep watching the race... how is that possible?
Give me a 1 or 6 hour Blancpain or 4 hour WEC race any day...
I'm glued to the set watching Le Mans, albeit over the course of a few days or even a week, but its captivating viewing for me.
I've got the F1 from Paul Ricard to watch, but also have Blancpain Asia and the last few hours of Le Mans. Thing is I really WANT to watch the Sports Cars and make time for it, whereas F1 is now the kind of thing I'll have on in the background whilst I do something else like repairing my Fanatec equipment, or sleeping...
Such a shame but I guess times change.

I enjoy watching the formula 1. I like the midfield battles and to a degree watching one man get intimate the heads of his opposition and fry them.

YES, F1 is as boring as politics, because there's to much politics in modern F1.

My solution to the parade is "BALLAST" adding extra weight to the top 5 for the next race would slow them sufficiently to allow the mid pack a chance to land a podium, it also puts the top 5 drivers under pressure to prove their worth and racecraft. No more cruising for x laps to the podium, or being happy with x amount of DC points, having the mid pack snapping at the heels of the top teams would change the game considerably imo.

• Deleted member 113561

My solution to make the racing great again:

1. F2 engine but power increased and 10,000+ rpm
2. no halo
3. Bail Merc out
4. Replace Merc with BMW, Audi, or any other German manufacturer
5. Make the tires last 100+ laps so drivers can push
6. No more Tilkedromes
7. No DRS
8. Kill the FIA
9. Unrestrict the cars
10. No team orders for unpredictable wins
11. 9-speed fully adjustable gearbox
Talking about retarded ideas?

1. No, lets go Renault Clio Engine with 100 000 rpms
2. No aerodynamics at all
3. Bail the fans out
4. Replace the fans with russian sex bots
5. Make the tires out of ice, for maximum durability
6. Only Tilkeloops (rollercoaster style)
7. DRS is replaced by flying
8. NASA is now governing F1
9. Allow rocketengines instead of ERS
10. No rules at all, ramming, killing, etc. all allowed
11. Whaaaaaat? Who needs gears?

Last edited by a moderator:
F1 is boring to watch. I only watch the highlights, it is more than enough.

Still, the videos and the articles on the technology behind F1 are much more interesting.

It is the same for the games. I rather drive the F2004 than the latest cars in AC or F1 games. F1 maybe the cutting edge of automotive, they are boring to drive in a game too. This is coming from someone who loves to drive LMP1. Heck, even the near soundless IDR in R3E is more interesting to drive asthe instant acceleration is addictive. S3 has converted me into an electric car fan not knowingly.

Last edited:
its not literly boring its just redbull merc and ferrari are to strong ( and williams to slow) the midflied isn´t that bad, as often say before do mid 70´s cars with modern safty standards and costs the also can small teams handle and u will have again to qualify for each race cause of to much teams and it will be much more closer, let tham slide and manuel shift again and u have all u need

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back