Question: Is Formula One Boring?

I remember the same questions back in the late 80's and 90's when Mansell, Senna and Prost dominated and then later in the Michael Schumacher days.....What else is new? Beating a dead horse once again.

Formula 1 is not all about exciting racing every weekend all the time as far as I've seen in my decades of watching F1. It is also about the technical advancements in car designs,engines and engineers producing and inventing unique mechanical parts that later on make it into normal road cars decades down the road (No pun intended). Why is called Formula 1. Boring?...Then you are not a true fan of Formula 1 IMO...Better off watching Indycars (equal cars, more leaders and passing) or Nascar racing which is more (bump and grind and a lot of passing.

cars are too easy to drive, tracks are not good especially tilkes tracks and whats up with france gp?you go off track and you can go even faster??drivers reminds me little kids who cant play and starts to cry(not KIMI)(but vettel grow some pairs).maybe ten 5 laps races no qualifys and practises random grid everytime.and please fia put some weight penaltys.f1 is best sleep medicin thought because i have fell asleep during last 30 races.

F1 is boring, but it is because (in my opinion) F1 is too long for a sprint race and too short for an endurance event.
12h or 24h endurance races are tactical races; pit stop strategy, tyre choice, driving strategy, etc
whereas sprint races are more about the drivers' ability to concentrate and drive at 100% or higher for 20-30 minutes.

F1 used to be about the drivers' ability/skill because there was no telemetry and no radios, just the boards with lap times. Only during pitstops could the driver and team strategise. Now the driver & crew are in constant communication and the engineers can fiddle with the car whilst it is on the track.

It is no different to GTSport or Forza or AC or any other 'sim'
BUT the sims have crashes! (Forza a lot more..:roflmao:)

Bring the choice of tyre manufacturer, and either make F1 a 40 minute sprint or 4 hr 'short endurance' include the pit crews in the coverage so we see them 'fighting for the win' and it might become more exciting than basically watching someone drive a sim for 2 hours.

My opinion, yours will differ. Be boring if we all agreed on everything.:p

tenor.gif
Happened to me this sunday...

F1 is very entertaining, except for the races. hmmm
As long as I been watching F1 there are periods where one team is ruling them all.
My idea is; add 10 kilos of ballast for every win, till a maximum of 40 kilos, that worked in many other raceclasses.

Yes, it is boring. I think 2012 was the last time there was a decent championship.

The solution?
- single element front and rear wings
- allow use of a spec limited ground effect floor
- spec suspension
- spec brakes

IndyCar might look a bit Fisher Price sometimes - but I'd prefer that with close racing to domination and processional races. They need to learn from other championships that faced a decline in excitement and numbers (BTCC, GT Racing, IndyCar).

• Deleted member 236927

I rarely post comments here or any other websites but I've been hoping that one day Racedepartment will post such article.
YES F1 is absolutely extremely BORING, I was a fan of F1 but for last few years I don't even watch the highlights on youtube or elsewhere. watching F1 race was like watching a repeat telecast, different day same $h!t. I say give every driver the same exact car with basic electronic gadgets and then we will see who got real fighting skills and talent.
I sometimes watch MotoGP race or highlights but I never miss WRC, I LOVE WRC.

Definitely not boring to me, I like it a lot, I follow everything going on behind the scenes, watch the practice sessions and everything that I have the time for.

That being said I find British F4, and Formula Eurocup races (spec series single seaters in general) a bit more exciting sometimes perhaps.

There's just not enough crashes anymore. I still love F1 but I miss the days when Patrese's car flipped up and sped on it's back at 150 mph.

Personally i stopped watching as it just wasnt much fun anymore. When we also dont have underdogs who can battle their way to victory like back in the golden era its just not fun anymore. How can it be fun to Watch the same front pack try to beat each other with no chance for a surprise? To most people it isnt. Imagine seeing an underdog fight their way through a season getting better and better. People start rooting for them. Engineers manage to squeeze more performance from the car and the driver puts in his best effort and eventually manage to win... Not much of that these days.

Personally i stopped watching as it just wasnt much fun anymore. When we also dont have underdogs who can battle their way to victory like back in the golden era its just not fun anymore. How can it be fun to Watch the same front pack try to beat each other with no chance for a surprise? To most people it isnt. Imagine seeing an underdog fight their way through a season getting better and better. People start rooting for them. Engineers manage to squeeze more performance from the car and the driver puts in his best effort and eventually manage to win... Not much of that these days.

You do realize that a 19 years old just qualified 5th in his first season last weekend? On a team that was the laughing stock of the grid the season before..

The recent Codies F1 games, 17/18 and it seems even better 19, are far more exciting than the current real races that's for sure. We've been having plenty of fun with lap time challenges for each race.

Speaking of which @Paul Jeffrey (appreciate the work you do) the F1 19 reviews are looking good and I'm looking forward to the new story/RD take and review of the game.

The formula penalty... is to complex, engines and front and rear wings are to complex, the same as the tires....save the tires every race weekend :sleep:
Merc have the best thechnologic for years, Lewis easy wdc he have no team mate again
Ferrari have no front man like schumacher was.... to motivation the team maybe a good car but the italian pasta chaos.

Im 46 years old and for most of my life ive always tried to make time to watch every GP every year up until the last 3-4 years.
The racing has been in decline a lot longer than that ofcourse but atleast the cars sounded like crazed monsters , going hybrid with their lame sounds that was the final straw for me.
There are so many far better series out there in terms of racing and sounds, why would i even bother with Snooze1 anymore?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 221 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 163 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 279 13.5%