Question: Is Formula One Boring?

The sooner people realize that F1 is not about racing but instead watching the fastest cars driven by the fastest racers in the world, the better. Occasionally a race develops, but thats a bonus. If you want racing, watch spec series.
If F1 it's about the fastest drivers driving the fastest cars I would honestly like to watch a hotlap event in which every team takes part putting the car on the track and running on the limit.

Then, results on screen. Laptimes of each car, commentary on how this team did better and this other team did worst than previous year on the same track.

F1 it's a racing series, and it's supposed to be that. If it is or it is not, that's another story.

One team has massive advantage for 5 past seasons - check
Tyres after one lock up are done - check
Drivers spent more time managing tyres/fuel/engine/temps than battling each other - check
DRS is too powerful, nobody even defends it just lets him bye - check
Midfield car doesn't even bother fighting top 3 cars cause they will ruin their tyres etc - check
Race is decided in first corner - check
Liberty Media came in to improve everything but the racing on track - check
After first lap race is decided, drivers turn down engine and drive to deltas on dashboard - check
Tracks are like car parks runoff for days - check

To me the most exciting part of F1 is qualifying, when drivers are on limit and pushing 100 percent.
They lap 6-7 slower in race than qualifying (yes they have more fuel etc) but that gap is ridiculous, no wonder Grosjean said he could do 2-3 races back to back.
Yesterday Lewis was doing 1:35 laps at end with 30+ old tyres turns up engine and does 1:32 something, until Seb beat him with new tyres. Tells you how much coasting they do.

Races are nothing but snoozefest.

Its the week after the Nordschleife-24h, what kind of an answer is to be expected to respond to the thread-title ?

After real women and men raced 150 real cars made for real roads on the best road ever for 24 hours, F1 is just the sideshow driving their super-gokarts on flat unnatural tracks for 90 minutes and a predictable Merc win..

Decide by yourself who is the real king of motorsport events, i made my decision a while ago. :D

50a903b533a5a7bc5fd13a664c9ebb70.gif

Reactions: NDG
watched the 24hr, watched first 3 laps of f1 and fell asleep, woke up in time for indy was amazed by the number of wheel to wheel contacts and off track excursions and not a single penalty??? good race by Dickson coming from 23rd to finish 7th - now that is racing, when you can do that in what are essentially cars of equal performance

Current F1 is as good as ever. People watch it, complain about it, say they stop watching and do it again. If it was half as bad as they say, they'd stop for real and speak about something else.

View attachment 311847
The French Grand Prix wasn't exactly a sparkler of an event - do you think F1 has become boring?

You don't always have a classic race every weekend, such has been the case in Formula One and motorsport in general since the beginning of time - however the last few years feel to me like the races are dull more often than not.. leaving me to question why I still try and tune in every other Sunday and put myself through the same disappointment each and every time.

If I'm being really, really honest with myself, I'd suggest I only watch Formula One nowadays out of loyalty to the sport and because I've grown up with my regular Sunday afternoon tradition. Would I be as enthralled in the racing if I was brand new to sport now?

The question I want to ask you all is - do you think F1 has become boring? Or are you happy with the sport as it is in 2019?

Let the comments begin!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Yep, and even the segway to commercial clip, (that lady saying we'll be right back) is the same repetitive generic version every time and, Borrr-ing!!! lol :) I Actually like the commercials? Well, maybe won't go that far!

After first lap race is decided, drivers turn down engine and drive to deltas on dashboard .

Yep, that's one of the main reasons why the racing is not interesting anymore. There are so many engineers who only focus on issues like tire wear, fuel use, engine wear, etc., that races are managed from the pits and drivers are being told what to do over the radio. The end result is not racing, its car management.

You hit the nail on the head ...equal performance, thing is if you offer up any alternatives could make it less boring, closer racing and possible for any driver to win you get bagged by all :thumbsdown:

My answer for decade is same..... control engines, 3 races per round @ 50% distance, triple points and one reverse grid = 50KG lighter fuel load, No forced pit stops and tyres would last the distance

How hard it be for any driver wins Race 1 to dominate Race 2-3 when blue flags and race tactics would be a thing of the past

Race 2 Lewis and Seb start 9th and 10th, all cars in front can defend their positions and force them offline :x3: ...what a spectacle it would be

For some reason race distance is carved in stone ......why ?

Its the same as it has been for a long time. I have been watching it since the 70's. Its no different now than it was when Vettel and Red Bull won 4 titles in a row, or when Ferrari and Schumacher won 5 in a row, or even back when McLaren dominated, or when Williams built a car that had everyone covered in 1992 and 1993. The last time it was really that competitive was in the 70's when most of the teams used a Ford Cosworth. Its going to continue this way, with one team able to dominate, as long as the rules on testing, and innovation, are so restrictive. The only way I can see it become more exciting is if they let the top teams run more than two cars.

By the way, Ferrari should have won 2 or 3 races this year, but they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

A quote from Hamilton after the French gp

"If you say it's boring, I totally understand it," Hamilton said after his win. "Don't blame the drivers. We don't write the rules. Put the pressure on the people at the top, who should be doing their jobs. They have made mistakes for many, many years."

As for the op.... brutally boring, the only reason Monaco was somewhat interesting was due to the track and the lack of passing opportunities kept everyone close.

Being from the states I was a big NASCAR fan in the 90s and early 2000s. I tried to get into F1 back then and thought it was like watching a parade. As I have grown wiser I now appreciate all the little bits involved. As Tony Stewart once said "We are racing not passing". I do think if F1 is to be "the best of the best" a managed race is not the way to go. It's kind of like "Build the fastest car and see how slow you can make it go". Over all a lot of racing series are struggling to put on a good show. And lets face it that is what it is, a show. That's why plate racing in NASCAR is so popular. It's the least sporting form of racing I know of. For me currently Indy car is the best racing over all. I think that has a lot to do with its wide range of tracks. Some drivers are better at ovals and some better turning right. It's a more natural way to jumble things up then crap tires and fuel flow limits. Engineering today is more important than the driver. Maybe come Sunday they need to pull the plug and cut all the teams telemetry off and put it all in the drivers hands. To many calculators deciding the race.

They are saving fuel, they are saving tires, they are saving engines etc. The tires are just too sensitive and fragile and the rules are getting too complicated. Let the guys race and push instead of this saving nonsense. Vettel is right - the drivers sound like lawyers nowadays.

There are too many artificial rules. Simplify it and give the drivers some cars and tires they can race and push for the entire race so they are mentally drained after the race. Right now they are just cruising around to save tires and fuel. Its ECO-racing in cars with no attitude...
Weird how "ECO-racing" works just fine in endurance races like WEC, IMSA, Blancpain GT Endurance, etc...

Questionable decisions in regards to rules and regs from the higher ups in the sport over the years have sucked all entertainment from this sport.

Lack of refuelling, Only Pierelli tires allowed instead of having a tire war, R&D limits that makes comebacks during a season next to impossible, DRS implemented poorly, Wheel to Wheel racing almost non existent, No noise from engines, The list could go on and on.

Havent watched the last 5 races now seeing as I see no racing, Just cars going fast.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back