Question: Is Formula One Boring?

For years now i have always saved races to my harddrive in the afternoon and then watched l1 to l3 in real time and fast forward from there with maybe a lap or two watched during pit window and then the last lap watched whole again. That way, it's fun. I also love to talk shop with my son, he reads all the background while I don't, and he bought all the Codemaster games while I didn't, so I always learn something from him.
I watched a couple of races from my youth, so late 70s, on YouTube and they weren't thast thrilling either, to be honest. It was mostly a question of who would make it to the line and who would not, but cars were quite evenly spread, many with more than a lap between them.

Lower tier stuff is much more exciting. I'd rather watch one lap of a BTCC or Moto 3 race than a full race of F1 and that from someone who isn't really into bikes. Same as OP I still suffer through every race though for some reason :O_o: It is the same with Le Mans for me, I basically hate all of the cars but I still watch large chunks of it. Because of the history perhaps.

Reactions: DLD
for some people that are watching f1 for 40 years,yes is boring as hell.if they dont do some bop or some weight balast or something to bring battles to the drivers its gonna go from bad to worst.

I’ve been an avid watcher of F1 since ‘91 but in the last few years I’ve only watched about a third of the races each season now, as someone mentioned above my love is for sports car racing now.

My view is maybe two things, stop trying to fix the cars and just run the same regs for three years, it’s usually the case that the longer you run the same regs, the more the smaller teams can close the gap and the racing tends to get better. Any major regulation change always benefits the bigger teams who have the most money and can throw millions at every little problem.

Let Pirelli do what they want with the tyres. They have to keep the FIA happy fair enough but let them make a tyre, that’s super fast, super grip, wide temperature window and maybe one compound for each race weekend.

A lot of teams have great cars but can’t make the chassis work within the temperature window that the Pirelli’s work well, just go super grippy. Lol :)

I still watch in the hope that we get that 1 good race which tends to be extremely rare which is a shame. I actually fell asleep during the race on the weekend. In the last 6 years we have had only 3 teams to win a race (not counting kimi in the lotus 2013 AUS I think) and obviously the Merc domination over most of that time. Its too predictable.

Too much emphasis on the race engineers and tyre managment. It's like they drive on the edge for 5% of the race and then manage fuel and tyre loads. It's gotten pretty sterile unfortunately. I'm also sick of Merc banging on each weekend about how there is this huge challenge from Ferrari and lesser extent RB???

I've been reading the very same complaints for 40+ years. Formula1 is Formula1 and it's ultimately boring if you don't get excited by the technical achievements... it's not any more boring now than it ever was.

Looks like you understand so much about F1 like me about creating pigs... modern F1 compared with the F1 30 or 40 years ago? Never, not even close!

Not only I think it is boring, I believe the drivers think it is boring as well. I don't know why I am watching, F2 is more exciting, and WRC. MotoGP is my new poison, that is exciting. Even if Marques is a winner robot, some races he has to work for it.

The cars are boring. The tracks are numb. The drivers have no personality or charisma. They should bottle current F1 and sell it as sleeping pills.

Real question should be is "F1 boring if your team is not winning" ...
No doubt Paul Ricard was a boring race and some other tracks too. F1 definitely needs more overtaking .... But not every race has been boring

Music was better in the 70's with real instruments and vinyl and tape. Now we got computers, mp3 and youtube for music.

Racing will never be like 20 years ago... All teams need to stop whining and build a better race car, the FIA need to work with drivers to make room for ideas for closer racing... In the meantime this is how it is. Support your team through the bad times or quit watching...

Already a few responses on this thread already, looks like many have been keeping quite and gone into hiding recently ... As soon as a moan thread is open, time to moan.

Not only I think it is boring, I believe the drivers think it is boring as well. I don't know why I am watching, F2 is more exciting, and WRC. MotoGP is my new poison, that is exciting. Even if Marques is a winner robot, some races he has to work for it.
It is the same thing with bikes, Moto GP is much more enjoyable than F1 but the less high end Moto 3 machines produce waaay more exciting races!

It is the same thing with bikes, Moto GP is much more enjoyable than F1 but the less high end Moto 3 machines produce waaay more exciting races!

Despite i agree with your comment, in the other classes you see close racing and drivers from lower teams fighting for top places aswell, like Quartararo, Rins or Miller...

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 143 13.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 105 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 75 7.1%
  • < 5 years