Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we are all excited for this release. What I don't know is how many people intend to a) play it on the xbox one and b) would like to join some sort of a formal league here at Race Department.

There are so many possibilities, I've had to calm myself down from getting lost in them. However, my main passion, IndyCar, will probably not be able to be run until the DLC with the ovals comes to the Xbox One.

That said, what sort of series would you like to see? Personally, ones that come to mind are Tudor United Sports Car Series, WEC, British Touring Car, and DTM. One of these could fill the gap for me until IndyCar is possible, but others may have better ideas.

Please indicate below if you are interested and what sort of times you are available and which series' you prefer. We could follow the actual schedule of many a series, due to the timing of the release. Personally, if they get the ovals out before IndyCar starts, I'll probably turn my focus there, but nothing would prevent running another alongside.

The anticipation is killing me! :sick:

What we're trying to figure out is if it is Mechical Failures that is causing people to get stuck in the pits. ie Blown Engine. Since Boothy didn't blow his engine perhaps that is why no-one got stuck. So people can Disconnect and the race still goes on, That is good. Another test would be someone blowing their engine and then seeing if anyone gets stuck in the pits. if this is the case then we will need to run without Mechanical Failures on. Full Damage is still fine.

I don't recall anyone blowing an engine when Railer and I got stuck. I'd have to go look at the thread to be sure. I'm not sure anyone has gotten stuck in the pits after the last patch, but I remember it was a problem. I don't think I have had a mechanical failure in an online race, but I have offline only when overheating or aero damage.

They fixed this is 1.4:
* Fixed an issue where the Pit engineer would repeatedly inform the player that a pit crew member has lost a wheel nut during pit stops. (Silverstone for me)

And these are coming any day in 2.0:
* Xbox One - fix attempt for a hard-to-reproduce issue where the game would at times freeze or crash when 8 or more players joined a session all at once. (first two online races for me)
* Xbox One – fixed an issue that at times would prevent a player from establishing full connectivity when leaving a lobby and trying to reconnect to it.
* Fixed an issue where wet tyres were fitted too long before the rain starts, causing excessive overheating and wear on the tyres. (think this happened to someone at Silverstone).
* Fixed an issue where, when running low on fuel, the Pit Board would appear to tell the player to do a scheduled pit stop when the player did not schedule a pit stop.
* Fixed an issue where flat tyres were fitted to the car during a pit stop, by ensuring that the tyres are correctly inflated. (happened to me offline).
* Fixed an issue where the car’s bump-stop value decreased after leaving a race session and joining it again.
* Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash while watching a saved replay. (Thank God...now we can watch whole races from T.V. cam...fingers crossed).

We can monitor the situation, but testing is always good. However, a blown engine + being stuck in the pits does not = a probable link between two unless it happens repeatedly and in all cases.

What I'm really amazed at is the size of the next patch. And it's pretty incredible that they will get a:
* XB1 – up to 17% frame rate improvement in extreme conditions.

And as Peter pointed out, that's before Direct X 12 is released and optimized, which Ian promises will put the XBO on par with the PS4 graphically (w/o the blur problem).

I don't recall anyone blowing an engine when Railer and I got stuck. I'd have to go look at the thread to be sure. I'm not sure anyone has gotten stuck in the pits after the last patch, but I remember it was a problem. I don't think I have had a mechanical failure in an online race, but I have offline only when overheating or aero damage.

Race 1 - My engine blew
Race 2 - I got stuck cos Chips engine blew

:)

Officially withdrew from That Other Racing association's championship, after a game freeze in first of two races at Zolder. Going up the hill after the second Chicane, and the picture stayed still while I could hear my car careening into the barrier. Got to love the instability of Project Cars. It really is just too many people on there. Very hard to keep organized. Makes me appreciate the League we have here.

Reactions: Rob
Officially withdrew from That Other Racing association's championship, after a game freeze in first of two races at Zolder. Going up the hill after the second Chicane, and the picture stayed still while I could hear my car careening into the barrier. Got to love the instability of Project Cars. It really is just too many people on there. Very hard to keep organized. Makes me appreciate the League we have here.
That's what happened to me at Oulton Park last week :thumbsdown: Frustrating but let's hope the next patch improves things somewhat.

Are you hardwired? I agree the stability is abysmal and there are many bugs, and there is still not the expected ffb, but the rooms have been getting better IMO. I see your blown engine thread here, but I don't think we have linked a blown engine with getting stuck int he pits. I'm not saying that it's *not* the cause (would need more traction in the forums and more testing I think) but a direct correlation cannot be assumed yet. There was a Steam post here. PC, of course, but they seem to be able to get around the problem with the keyboard. Maybe that's why they are not as vocal? But, for instance, what if I said "we have established a link between running GT3 cars and getting stuck in the pits" because it had never happened to me except in a GT3 race? This is also true.

But no doubt there are still problems. If you will be around later, we can try to test this with 3+ people.

I've always thought that Chips might be on to something with his early lobby party logic, as the type of problems that we typically see are a.) when more than 8 or so people are in the lobby and b.) when everyone is using lobby resources to game. Also, SMS has admitted the 8+ issue is known and being patched in 2.0. Like you said "just too many people" in there. Since I'm not a computer guy, it's hard not to dig for answers while not really knowing how all this stuff works, but it's clearly a bigger problem on the console and killing leagues.

That sucks about your other league because I know there were some really good people in there. Serious SIM racers I'm sure. I have experienced the same with other groups who simply try too much with pCARS. I think it's best to keep it simple, limit the lobbies, and chat in a party. For now. Hopefully, the 2.0 patch will fix a bunch of this stuff and get here before next Saturday.

Hope your eye is better. I watched the video gain and I'm not sure if that was you or Peter who flew off into the dirt at Turn 1 Lap 1. I noticed Peter and I opted for the same livery! Not sure if Peter was #5 or #6, but I took the #6, because Railer would be mad at me if I took #5. :)

I am Hardwired, I mean they tried to put 14 people in the room and there were issues from the start with people dropping out, game freezing. It took us 35-40 mins to get everyone on the same page in the lobby. Then before we could finish our parade lap someone disconnected. Another GT4 driver complained of his screen freezing briefly, and leading to him damaging his car. Others were talking about Frame Rate issues. I thought since I wasn't experiencing any Frame Rate issues I'd be ok. But nope, Screen Froze as I was going up the hill and all I could do is listen to the car smash in the barrier at full throttle, then just the sound of rain on the tin top. I wasn't doing that well anyway, but just the fact it crashed in the first place isn't really ideal for a racing league.
So this will allow me more time to try out the GP3's :thumbsup:. They seem like fun, I tried on an LMP2 at Spa with no assists and have struggled with it. Actually was faster in default setup. The more I mess with the setup the less drivable it becomes. Weird how common sense adjustments don't really work on those cars, must be the French aspect.
Anyway, I think we do need to do some more testing on the Mechanical Failures being on or off. Who know's maybe it is just a GT3 thing. I just don't think I can bear to drive anymore today. To depressed to pick up the wheel. That's two weekends now where I've invested many hours of testing for :poop: results.

They fixed this is 1.4:
* Fixed an issue where the Pit engineer would repeatedly inform the player that a pit crew member has lost a wheel nut during pit stops. (Silverstone for me)

And these are coming any day in 2.0:
* Xbox One - fix attempt for a hard-to-reproduce issue where the game would at times freeze or crash when 8 or more players joined a session all at once. (first two online races for me)
* Xbox One – fixed an issue that at times would prevent a player from establishing full connectivity when leaving a lobby and trying to reconnect to it.
* Fixed an issue where wet tyres were fitted too long before the rain starts, causing excessive overheating and wear on the tyres. (think this happened to someone at Silverstone).
* Fixed an issue where, when running low on fuel, the Pit Board would appear to tell the player to do a scheduled pit stop when the player did not schedule a pit stop.
* Fixed an issue where flat tyres were fitted to the car during a pit stop, by ensuring that the tyres are correctly inflated. (happened to me offline).
* Fixed an issue where the car’s bump-stop value decreased after leaving a race session and joining it again.
* Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash while watching a saved replay. (Thank God...now we can watch whole races from T.V. cam...fingers crossed).

We can monitor the situation, but testing is always good. However, a blown engine + being stuck in the pits does not = a probable link between two unless it happens repeatedly and in all cases.

What I'm really amazed at is the size of the next patch. And it's pretty incredible that they will get a:
* XB1 – up to 17% frame rate improvement in extreme conditions.

And as Peter pointed out, that's before Direct X 12 is released and optimized, which Ian promises will put the XBO on par with the PS4 graphically (w/o the blur problem).
I blew my engine in that race Robert, it's the one where I was going to try to spectate so over revved the engine after the start and blew it.

That really sucks Michael, I feel for ya'. Had a similar experience in our F1 season early on with two disconnects on the trot. So frustrating after putting in the prep work and leaves you feeling very empty :(

Hopefully, next week will bring you better luck buddy :thumbsup:

Thanks Peter, it is rather frustrating, like you said it just leaves you feeling very empty and unfulfilled. I don't' wish a disconnect on anyone, that is a horrible Sim Racing Death... Even worse if you are doing well.

I have a bit of a different view. Corners are cut all the time in all forms of racing, sometimes pushing too hard, and sometimes to escape. Monza is a prime example. And they will do it all the time at Silverstone going wide in the fast sections this weekend. When it becomes clear that it's being used as a time increaser, or to pass, then there is a problem. But a cut here or there should be expected. You don't need to slow, you just have to make sure it's not intentional and you do not pass someone. It should not become a "habit" in other words.
Look how many times got deleted this weekend though for drivers extending the track limits at Copse, most of those were not intentional. My view is that if you can make a mistake now and then but more than that is seeking an advantage. You have to slow to take that chicane properly. Whether you pass someone or not is not the sole point, if you do it regularly, whether intentional or not, you will gain a significant time advantage over the course of a race which could lead you to be in a position to pass someone that otherwise you would not have been. My view of course, I accept that some forms of racing are more lenient of extending track limits but corner cutting is corner cutting whatever form of racing it is in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob
Look how many times got deleted this weekend though for drivers extending the track limits at Copse, most of those were not intentional. My view is that if you can make a mistake now and then but more than that is seeking an advantage. You have to slow to take that chicane properly. Whether you pass someone or not is not the sole point, if you do it regularly, whether intentional or not, you will gain a significant time advantage over the course of a race which could lead you to be in a position to pass someone that otherwise you would not have been. My view of course, I accept that some forms of racing are more lenient of extending track limits but corner cutting is corner cutting whatever form of racing it is in.

Yea, I was waiting for someone to notice that they keyed in on this point that received so much attention at Silverstone. A few counter-points:

1. As you know, F1 had become a bit regulatory obsessed. Not only is this form (open wheel) of motor racing the most strict on "exceeding the track limits" (because it's not only corners) but F1 is the strictest series in that discipline. Even with that, the F1 game still is nowhere close to real life...as lap times are not just deleted but cars are disqualified from races and drive-through penalties are given (not even like the more recent reality of 5 sec. added for cutting pit lane or race forgiveness for exceeding). Interesting the exceeding one is safety based, but the other ("corner-cutting") has no basis in safety. Or does it....

2. Even in F1, during the race the new rule was basically ignored or driver were given a friendly warning. Qualifying, at least in F1, I get. That's where you are running solo and conditions should be made as rigid as possible, at least in F1, where the times are very close. But during the race, I saw repeated, gratuitous, and substantial exceeding at Copse, Stowe and Woodcote, among others. This, I don't think, was intentional, but simply what happens when you are driving on the limits, with full fuel, with someone chasing you, or you chasing someone, or a pack around you, at 140mph. In real racing, you don't really think about the white lines. You think about pushing it and using the curbs, which, by the way, the FIA turned into concrete and widened the hell out of at Silverstone. Still, even Charlie Whiting recognizes the difference between qualifying and race. I always thought Forza did the best job with track limits in terms of being stingy. You will like it Peter. lol.

3. We are not racing open wheel cars. And we are certainly not racing in F1. So I guess that means we are currently in "some other form of racing" but I can't accept your premise that "corner cutting is corner cutting whatever form of racing it is in" because it's just not the case. If you have ever watched NASCAR or V8 Supercars you will instantly realize that's just not the case. In fact, like I have said before, it's expected in some series' and some tracks. Take a gander at the final turn at Sonoma some day in NASCAR. Sure the Perrelli World Challenge GT3 is less strict than, say, the GP2 Series, but the PWC is more strict than NASCAR. It's all relative and comes down to custom. Even the custom between America/Australia and Europe is quite different, in my opinion. Neither is right, just different.

4. Even at Silverstone, the sole reason that the exceeding Nazis got so much attention was precisely *because* it was contrary to past custom, accepted standards, and other races this year even. Seems like 'ol Charlie wants to concentrate on pit exit one weekend and track limits the next. But, in reality, all those deleted laps were deleted because it was previously the norm, even in F1. Nobody intentionally thought "ok now I'm going to push really hard and try to get my lap time deleted." Point is, it was new and a bit draconian. Even for F1. It will not last. Well, maybe in F1 for a while, but F1 is broken.

All that said, if I was a Steward and I saw me or anyone else drive right against the dirt at the final chicane at Nurburg for 5 laps straight, at full speed, I'd have a problem with it if no other cars were around. I do think intent has everything to do with it, and can be inferred from the circumstances. If I'm pushed to the edge by another car while trying to pass him, and cut the chicane three times straight without passing him, then no way is that a penalty or warning in GT racing. So at times, the game actually is too strict, in my opinion. Done solo...that's a different story. Games can never get this right, because, as we saw at Silverstone, it's entirely a judgment call or "new rule" if you will. For instance, how many have received a drive-through for cutting pit exit in F1 in the game? How about in real life? Then again, you have heard my plea for reduced ruled before. Hopefully, F1 2015 will be more in line with real life. Project Cars is about right now, as long as we have people saving their replays and a capable Steward. Too bad we don't have more of the former, but I understand the game is broken.

So all this to basically say "I agree" with your post, except for the intent and circumstance part. :laugh:

My views is that it is a chicane and therefore don't cut. Yes it means slower entry into the chicane. I know someone will destroy the bollards by lap 2 but would be nice to see them standing after the race. Unfortunately it doesn't penalize you when you cut the corner unless your car is over car length wide.

Yea, basically I agree in a nutshell. You should not aim to cut it as a way of gaining a better lap time, but if you go in too hot a few times or are trying to pass or being passed, that's entirely different. Hell, they even built little escape roads at Montreal and Monza for this very purpose. I like the idea of an escape road that forces you to slow down after you safely "escape" so, in effect, you can cut all you want, but you will suffer (safely) if you do. The Wall of Champions exit and the turn after Eau Rouge at Spa are good examples.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back