Podium DD's VS Simucube 2's

Hi guys, the past while I was trying to find good comparisons between these two models of dd's. Has anyone tested both ? I understand that the software for these aren't complete yet but is there any clear winner here ? thanks.

Just google EmuWheel, there is web site, a bit outdated and discord group, still active. FM7, FH3, FH4 all work.
Don't expect miracle FFB, esp. in FH3. FM7 is quite decent, FH4 is passable.
To be fair, even on a supported wheel, Forza isn't exactly known for its quality FFB. You have to set the bar low, to "it has FFB so I know what's happening to the car" and that's it. The centering force and dead zone, the details are all basically as basic as it gets. So even if you're not happy with how EmuWheel feels/ForzaWheel, I don't think people should expect a supported wheel to feel much better.

As you say each to his own. I've never really enjoyed racing on a console since buying a T500 quite a few years ago so maybe have too much of a black and white view on pc and console racing. I've taken my setup (VR or ultrawide monitor) that console racing in the rig would be a massive hassle and it doesn't interest me enough. I've not raced online in Gran Turismo since the PS3 days so can't say if it's good or bad (or like the pc which can be both until you find somewhere like RD).

That's fine, but you can't expect other people to feel the same way and the fact is, if someone wants to play Gran Turismo with a wheel, and also drive iRacing for the "serious" online racing, Podium F1 has an advantage over Simucube and I wish people wouldn't just dismiss preferences and circumstances that make that true.
Just because Podium is a better wheelbase for consoles doesn't all of a sudden crown Fanatec as the better direct drive wheelbase.

One thing I can't understand is how everyone who compares these two wheelbases, treats it like an all or nothing comparison. For them, either the Simucube is better at 100% of the details or it's not better at all, and I don't agree with that.

If you only drive the "pure" PC sims like AMS, iRacing, RaceRoom, rFactor 2, ACC etc, and you don't mind how expensive the wireless wheels are, then yeah the SC2 is better than the DD1, but as soon as "I want to play on Xbox or PS5 as well" comes up, you should just admit the Fanatec is better for that person.

Upvote 0
If you only drive the "pure" PC sims like AMS, iRacing, RaceRoom, rFactor 2, ACC etc, and you don't mind how expensive the wireless wheels are, then yeah the SC2 is better than the DD1, but as soon as "I want to play on Xbox or PS5 as well" comes up, you should just admit the Fanatec is better for that person.

Sorry Ted I wrote a long reply but don't want to get into an argument. I thought I had admitted exactly that and also that I may well have made a different choice if my current situation was different?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think people who are thinking of moving away from the SC2 system into the fanatec realm are a little on edge in certain simracing spaces. I think a lot of this is just a misunderstanding. I empathize with Ted because I know firsthand that trying to discuss the thought of "regressing" to a DD1 or DD2 can trigger some fervent tribalism.

Reading over both of your responses it seems like there might not be as much (or any, really) animosity there at all. I think the simracing community at-large right now can be a little tribal and toxic, so operating in these discussions can feel a bit weird. I mean, I had someone DM me telling me to kill myself on discord for talking about choosing the DD1 over the SC2.

I honestly don't think Ted was trying to direct the discussion to you specifically.

Upvote 0
@TheNatural has it right. Sorry for coming off as defensive, but I feel like whenever anyone tries to make the case for why they are considering Fanatec, an angry horde descends upon them to dismiss their preferences as minor or trivial. You don't need to race on console, real sims are on PC, it's plastic junk, etc.

I personally feel like I can get great advice here, but only if I follow the herd. As soon as you want to try something different, you have to be on guard. This is less "Podium DDs vs Simucube 2s" and more "Everyone vs Fanatec owners".

Upvote 0
I've only had one dealing with Fanatec, it wasn't great but got sorted, eventually, in a way I was ok with. Nothing against the kit, many of the ideas are great (DD enclosure, wireless wheels, loadcell upgrades) and at a different time I may well have bought a DD1 with Formula rim and BMW round rim.

Apologies for any offence given, I hope they do the job for you.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Emuwheel creator made the mod for supported wheels as it does improve FFB quite significantly. After all the tuning I was pretty impressed with FM7 on OSW wheel.
I believe they already have telemetry based version. May be FM8 will have native support. A man can dream, right?

Upvote 0
So to ask again for confirmation

If a Fantec owner had the Playstation & Xbox compatible hardware
Will it work with:

A) Other types of USB pedals?
B) Other types of USB pedals but with some form of USB - Fanatec Adapter?

I simply want to know if owners are locked into using Fanatecs pedals.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So to ask again for confirmation

If a Fantec owner had the Playstation & Xbox compatible hardware
Will it work with:

A) Other types of USB pedals?
B) Other types of USB pedals but with some form of USB - Fanatec Adapter?

I simply want to know if owners are locked into using Fanatecs pedals.

On PC you can use whatever you want, but on console your controller can only have one USB input, so your shifter/pedals/base all need to be connected to something that then connects to the console.

Upvote 0
On PC you can use whatever you want, but on console your controller can only have one USB input, so your shifter/pedals/base all need to be connected to something that then connects to the console.

We used to be able to get pedal adapters that allowed Logitech G27/29 pedals to work with Fanatec RJ45 hub on their wheels. Are you certain something like this is still not possible?

I dont think this is technically as difficult as the wheel base support.

It's doing the opposite of what Fanatec's own adapter does with shifters/handbrake.

Instead of the shifter/handbrake (RJ45) being the input
We want the USB device to be the input and the (RJ45) connection to be the output.

This would then allow USB pedals to connect into the wheel hub to use on console.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just installed the new Fanatec driver for my wheelbase and accessories. At least the installation is now much smoother, especially the new firmware installer is easier to use. Might save some hassle at the Fanatec support.

Upvote 0
I did complaint about it in the GD forum, since I didn't realize that filters like that are reserved for the ultimate only, and not the not so "pro" when buying.
So for iracing i modded irffb, so I have a special version where I can adjust an Lfb curve on top.
I had to, since no fiddling in settings can help and I hurt my hands more than once bc of that....
So someone from GD replied saying such filter is reserved for Ultimate, so it will never be added to Pro and Sport?
That would be weird, because it’s neither advanced nor complicated filter to implement. And if they have it for Ultimate it wouldn’t be much additional effort to add it to other versions. Ultimate already differentiates itself from cheaper versions by incorporating quite different hardware and people will buy it because of that.
Such filter with 25Nm wheel is not only reasonable, but would give some advantage over other DD wheels.

At least it’s great that you found a workaround for iRacing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No PS5 support?
I would prefer to maybe have official wheelbase support but just not be tied into Fanatec pedals.
Unfortunately, you can either use a single USB device or DriveHub.
Good news is DriveHub is pretty native. You end up being able to use Heusinkveld pedals and instead of the Podium F1, you can get the normal DD1 which is cheaper.
They do need to adjust it because apparently it's difficult with PS5 (need a PS4 controller or something, maybe that's changed).

I'm also a bit conflicted. SC2 vs Fanatec DD is a hard choice, but I can sacrifice the SC2 advantages since I know at least it's a decent DD (on par with SC1 apparently but very spiky torque). With pedals however, I've had my Sprint pedals for about 5 months now and honestly I don't know if I can see myself sacrificing them.
What I'm actually considering, is taking a Fanatec CSL Elite LC electronics set (the sensors/potentiometers, load cell) and installing them into my HE Sprint pedals as a Frankenstein.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, you can either use a single USB device or DriveHub.
Good news is DriveHub is pretty native. You end up being able to use Heusinkveld pedals and instead of the Podium F1, you can get the normal DD1 which is cheaper.
They do need to adjust it because apparently it's difficult with PS5 (need a PS4 controller or something, maybe that's changed).

I'm also a bit conflicted. SC2 vs Fanatec DD is a hard choice, but I can sacrifice the SC2 advantages since I know at least it's a decent DD (on par with SC1 apparently but very spiky torque). With pedals however, I've had my Sprint pedals for about 5 months now and honestly I don't know if I can see myself sacrificing them.
What I'm actually considering, is taking a Fanatec CSL Elite LC electronics set (the sensors/potentiometers, load cell) and installing them into my HE Sprint pedals as a Frankenstein.

Appreciate the response of some others and yourself on this.
For me, this is one of the bigger dilemmas on what DD platform I go with.

The idea with the pedals also crossed my mind but could be a bit of work.

I have concerns that with PS5 if Sony comes up with some way to prevent unofficial methods from working and a title like GT7 to perhaps only support "GT Licensed" controllers and prevent joypad emulation from working. I guess we won't know till it is released but would feel safer with the supported wheelbase. I just hope Fanatec have a new "GT" licensed wheel package coming.

Would be keen to see someone do a mod on pedals or somebody come up with a converter cable for pedals from USB-RJ45.

I did find THIS which is designed to extend USB devices up to 150ft
Not what we need, but it does have the required connections. HERE is the USB female - RJ45 on its own and also THIS as an adapter plug. Might be worth trying before any pedal conversions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If console compatibility is concern then sticking to mainstream brands obviously makes the most sense.

Sony and MS didn't make closed systems to then spend the time and resources to make them work with proprietary peripherals.

At no point do I expect my SC1, HPP pedals, Wheel and VR to be supported by either console and I didn't build my setup with that in mind either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fanatec is a mainstream brand with a supported wheelbase if the user wants that.
The query is if other USB pedals can be used via an adapter or converter of some type when using the officially supported wheel with consoles.

I have never seen anyone in any review video tackle this matter or people having tried what is being asked.

The point of this is to simply avoid
A) Being locked into using V3 pedals with Fanatec wheelbase
B) Buying BOTH a PC Pedal set and a V3 pedal set
C) Having to swap out pedals continually

1x Official PS5 Wheelbase 1x Higher-end USB Pedals is the desired goal.
If it's not possible then it goes to swaying my purchase decision.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes