Podium DD's VS Simucube 2's

Hi guys, the past while I was trying to find good comparisons between these two models of dd's. Has anyone tested both ? I understand that the software for these aren't complete yet but is there any clear winner here ? thanks.

I have never seen anyone in any review video tackle this matter or people having tried what is being asked.

Because the overlap for this audience is insignificant. Console players who are going to drive console games are just going to buy whatever is on the supported peripheral list. They're looking for the lockin meaning it works every time they goto use it.

Whatever is possible outside of that is a DIY job with no guarantee that it'll continue to work if Sony/MS decide to update their platform to remove it. So you might get a scenario where you desired goal works today but not down the road.

Upvote 0
Would Emuwheel be able to give a useable FFB to DirtRally2 ?
I´ve tried with the SC2 and after tinkering for a bit deleted DR2 because the FFB was between "not there" and apalling.

MFG Carsten
I've had exactly the same experience with my Podium DD1 in DirtRally2. I've spent hours screwing around trying to get it to work decently, and then lost patience and deleted DR2 in the end ( as an aside, I can't get Kartkraft to work with it either )
The only sims I have that really work properly with the DD1 are rF2, PC2 and AMS2, and to a lesser extent, R3E. I spend nearly all my time in rF2 or AMS2 anyway, so I'm not shedding any tears.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've had exactly the same experience with my Podium DD1 in DirtRally2. I've spent hours screwing around trying to get it to work decently, and then lost patience and deleted DR2 in the end ( as an aside, I can't get Kartkraft to work with it either )
The only sims I have that really work properly with the DD1 are rF2, PC2 and AMS2, and to a lesser extent, R3E. I spend nearly all my time in rF2 or AMS2 anyway, so I'm not shedding any tears.

From what I understand the issues with DR2's FFB is what it's sending out there to then be interpreted by the wheel, the information it's giving to the wheel software is bad, so all interpretations of it are bad.

I never really thought DR2 was that horrible, but I also went into it looking at it more like I would look at forza horizon, rather than WRC or RBR.

Upvote 0
From what I understand the issues with DR2's FFB is what it's sending out there to then be interpreted by the wheel, the information it's giving to the wheel software is bad, so all interpretations of it are bad.

I never really thought DR2 was that horrible, but I also went into it looking at it more like I would look at forza horizon, rather than WRC or RBR.
I'd buy WRC and RBR in a heartbeat if they could do VR: I drive exclusively in VR, no VR, no buy :D

Upvote 0
Fanatec is a mainstream brand with a supported wheelbase if the user wants that.
The query is if other USB pedals can be used via an adapter or converter of some type when using the officially supported wheel with consoles.

I have never seen anyone in any review video tackle this matter or people having tried what is being asked.

The point of this is to simply avoid
A) Being locked into using V3 pedals with Fanatec wheelbase
B) Buying BOTH a PC Pedal set and a V3 pedal set
C) Having to swap out pedals continually

1x Official PS5 Wheelbase 1x Higher-end USB Pedals is the desired goal.
If it's not possible then it goes to swaying my purchase decision.

I have a GIMX Adapter and I just ordered a Podium F1 on Fanatec US. It will have to be routed through my shipping proxy in Washington state but when it's here, I'll test it with my Sprint pedals. If you use DriveHub, you'll be able to skip the PC altogether. But I won't be able to confirm this if the GIMX isn't updated for the PS5.

Addendum to the console discussion:

Chris Haye reviewed a pedal set that can be ordered with a Rj plug.

Wether that would work with a Fanatec wheelbase on a Playstation??

MFG Carsten

Fanatec's RJ port is unfortunately proprietary and the load cell isn't linear. I've heard this discussed with respect to Sprints being used on the Simucube accessory port.

When I get the Fanatec Podium, I intend to test it with iRacing, AMS2, rFactor 2, RaceRoom and ACC to see how it feels. I'm tired of getting my info from the internet from biased people. I'll test it and see for myself if I can tell if it's worse than the SC2.
Unfortunately, I do like to use more than 10 Nm of torque, so if it's particularly harsh over that power, I'll let you all know. I'll also try out the quick release and find out if the flex is as bad as videos say.

Upvote 0
I'll also try out the quick release and find out if the flex is as bad as videos say.

They have confirmed there is a new QR, so this is less of a concern for me. That being said I'm still waiting until the officially announce something about it. I have no doubt it will be backwards compatible with the DD1 and 2 though, it's so trivially easy to remove and replace the current system.

I'll test it and see for myself if I can tell if it's worse than the SC2.
Unfortunately, I do like to use more than 10 Nm of torque, so if it's particularly harsh over that power,

The outrunner motor isn't a bad motor, of all of the criticisms I've seen of the fanatec, this isn't one I've heard, that it is "harsh under higher power". It certainly didn't feel that way when I was using the DD2, and the DD1 has the exact same motor.

Upvote 0
My biggest issues with the fanatec were that I could feel the notchy-ness of the outrunner motor at a stop and at slow speeds, but you literally forget about it after 30 seconds and wouldn't notice at all if you hadn't used a servo motor like the SC2 that I owned.

That being said I just wish it wasn't there, it removes and prohibits the rubber-smooth feel that I found cool in the SC2, but again, this impacted literally nothing after a few minutes with the DD2.

My other issue is obviously the QR. How it shipped like this, I have no idea. It's wholly unacceptable to have to 3D print something to make it work and the design itself is just bad. I wouldn't be considering the base at all if they didn't have such wide swaths of official support across games/sim/simcades/consoles.

Edit:

This gets overlooked and the boosted media dude mentions it a bit, but when I would spent a day with the DD2 at my friend's place, and then went home on my SC2 I did miss just having games immediately recognize my wheel and give me decent feeling from the jump, I did miss the display on the base itself and on the wheel, I missed the clutch paddle, I missed adjusting FFB strength on the fly. I really did miss that stuff, and I really didn't miss anything when I went from the SC2 to the Podium.

It seems to be because the fanatec does so much wrong that we forget to talk about what they do RIGHT. The little creature comforts and the native support really do go miles when you have one in front of you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@TedBrosby- I appreciate what you discover and your views.
I will even help pay towards trying other adapters if you want, just send a direct message and Pay Pal details.
I appreciate the offer. The biggest challenge for me is the PS5.

My wife is also helping me try to buy one. We're subscribed to a lottery to win being able to purchase one (that's how they do sales in Japan) and we are also watching three main suppliers for restocking. We hope we'll be able to get one soon, and if I do, the DriveHub is easy pickings to be honest. The scalper price here actually isn't that bad ($150 over retail), but on principle I just don't believe in paying scalpers so we're trying to get one the old fashioned way.

If I can get that, I don't mind buying the DriveHub to test with the Sprint Pedals + PS5 since it'll give me good content for my YouTube channel.
A simple sub to my channel and a like would be all I could ask for lol. But of course I'll share the rundown here because I don't believe in holding people hostage to my videos to find out what I learn.

My plan is to test ACC and GT Sport on PS5 to get an idea of how they run. I've heard the FFB in ACC on PS5 is at least "acceptable", so I can probably give you a good assessment based on that.

Look at that invoice... My wife really loves me lol. Anyone want 3 months of iRacing? I'm on a 2 year sub lol.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 22.07.43.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 22.07.43.png
    139.7 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0
After having to send my DD1 in and not being able to race for a few weeks, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on an SC2 swap. The SC2 is pretty rock solid reliability wise (especially compared to the podiums), right?

I just don't want to worry about having more issues again. I've seen too many people saying that they have sent their base in more than 2/3 times.

Upvote 0
Are you able to get a refund from fanatec after using it for a while?

After having to send my DD1 in and not being able to race for a few weeks, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on an SC2 swap. The SC2 is pretty rock solid reliability wise (especially compared to the podiums), right?

I just don't want to worry about having more issues again. I've seen too many people saying that they have sent their base in more than 2/3 times.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea