Podium DD's VS Simucube 2's

Hi guys, the past while I was trying to find good comparisons between these two models of dd's. Has anyone tested both ? I understand that the software for these aren't complete yet but is there any clear winner here ? thanks.

Just like everything else posted here? :)
You must have misread as I've never stated that FM7 career is better than GT, just had a little more seat time in FM7 than GT, that's it, my personal opinion (not a fact) that neither does justice to DD wheel or even worth discussing here. Consoles are not sims territory.
I didn't mean for it to come off as aggressive, but more that I think it's dismissive to say FM is similar to Gran Turismo.

Don't get me wrong, Forza absolutely used to be very similar, it was basically a shameless clone back in early 2000's when it first came out on Xbox. But they drifted away from each other around the time Gran Turismo 5 came out. Forza got rid of the traditional "buy used and build up" career mode, and Gran Turismo basically turned into an online eSports title.

They're very different from what they used to be, but even if Forza returned to its normal career mode, something about Gran Turismo was always more polished than Forza. Forza has always been more arcade than sim and Gran Turismo had the opposite balance. People who want to play Gran turismo won't easily be convinced to use something else as a substitute. Too much nostalgia. I have a bunch of Distill bots watching for PS5 stock just so I can get a PS5 for GT7 and I didn't even own a PS4.

Upvote 0
forza 7 or the horizon series really just doesn't compare to GT, the career mode is nowhere close to providing what GT titles used to provide.

it's also important to note that when people talk about the GT career mode they aren't talking about GT Sport. GT sport's career mode is pretty awful and never really tried to be a direct successor to the numbered titles in the series. I think comparing forza 7 and it's single player experience to something like PC2 would be more apt than the numbered GT titles.

also, to andrew's point about games like GT or forza needing to go "all arcade" or nothing: i think people in the enthusiast sim racing community don't realize how wildly successful gran turismo is. it's active users make iracing look beyond quaint and bespoke.

I'm not saying gran turismo is better because more people play it, i'm just saying that what it provides is something very much in demand. I am well aware that everything on the simulation side from iracing and even AC is superior to gran turismo in all aspects.

Upvote 0
I, personally, wouldn't buy a DD wheel because it supported PS5 or Xbox, the games aren't designed to take advantage of high end wheels. Buy the wheel for the other 95% of your use not a single console game.

I don't hink anyone was saying that they were making the decision based on console compatibility alone, I certainly wasn't trying to and I apologize if it came across that way. The fanatec also seems to have an advantage over the SC2 in a myriad of sims/simcade titles that aren't iracing or AC.

For me, the discussion was which is better across the gambit of sim and simcade titles, with console compatibility also being a consideration, albeit one I care about.

If it were just, "the SC2 much is better in AMS2, ACC, Dirt, WRC9, F1, BeamNG, but the fanatec breaks more and has console support", I don't think there would be a discussion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I, personally, wouldn't buy a DD wheel because it supported PS5 or Xbox, the games aren't designed to take advantage of high end wheels. Buy the wheel for the other 95% of your use not a single console game.

Its not about those titles offering as good of an experience and/or a user expecting that from them. It's about compatibility and not having to change on your rig to a different wheel/pedal set every time you want to play one or the other.

Isnt part of the problem, that many want more than V3 pedals because these days if you want to be cool and be viewed as a serious sim racer you need pedals costing at least £600. Heck, why not a £1000 or £2000 full-on hydraulic set. This hobby has become silly regards the prices of some options.

I don't think on consoles you can with official support, have the Fanatec compatible wheel but a set of other brand PC pedals. Maybe someone can clarify that. As even if I decided to get the PS5 compatible package I maybe don't want to have or also buy V3 pedals.

GT could be more FUN than some other titles, depends on the person. I don't think it's just simulation aspects or how good FFB is, that people always focus on their sim racing habits.
A person may still want quality hardware to use even if it's not fully utilized on the console titles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Just google EmuWheel, there is web site, a bit outdated and discord group, still active. FM7, FH3, FH4 all work.
Don't expect miracle FFB, esp. in FH3. FM7 is quite decent, FH4 is passable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I don't hink anyone was saying that they were making the decision based on console compatibility alone, I certainly wasn't trying to and I apologize if it came across that way. The fanatec also seems to have an advantage over the SC2 in a myriad of sims/simcade titles that aren't iracing or AC.

For me, the discussion was which is better across the gambit of sim and simcade titles, with console compatibility also being a consideration, albeit one I care about.

If it were just, "the SC2 much is better in AMS2, ACC, Dirt, WRC9, F1, BeamNG, but the fanatec breaks more and has console support", I don't think there would be a discussion.

Truthfully I can't remember if you did, it was more a general comment as I always advise people to do so (buy the best thing for what you do most so you get maximum enjoyment most of the time). I know myself and I'd always be thinking "should I have bought ....... as it's generally thought to be better and used the gamepad for ........" that, unfortunately, is the way my brain works.

It was the main reason I moved from Accuforce to Vrs dfp, with Sim Commander having so many adjustments available I was always trying to find the perfect setting. Bought a base with a better motor and simpler software and I enjoy racing so much more :)

Upvote 0
Its not about those titles offering as good of an experience and/or a user expecting that from them. It's about compatibility and not having to change on your rig to a different wheel/pedal set every time you want to play one or the other.

Isnt part of the problem, that many want more than V3 pedals because these days if you want to be cool and be viewed as a serious sim racer you need pedals costing at least £600. Heck, why not a £1000 or £2000 full-on hydraulic set. This hobby has become silly regards the prices of some options.

I don't think on consoles you can with official support, have the Fanatec compatible wheel but a set of other brand PC pedals. Maybe someone can clarify that. As even if I decided to get the PS5 compatible package I maybe don't want to have or also buy V3 pedals.

GT could be more FUN than some other titles, depends on the person. I don't think it's just simulation aspects or how good FFB is, that people always focus on their sim racing habits.
A person may still want quality hardware to use even if it's not fully utilized on the console titles.

As you say each to his own. I've never really enjoyed racing on a console since buying a T500 quite a few years ago so maybe have too much of a black and white view on pc and console racing. I've taken my setup (VR or ultrawide monitor) that console racing in the rig would be a massive hassle and it doesn't interest me enough. I've not raced online in Gran Turismo since the PS3 days so can't say if it's good or bad (or like the pc which can be both until you find somewhere like RD).

Upvote 0
"should I have bought ....... as it's generally thought to be better and used the gamepad for ........"

My brain also works this way, but I view it from the other angle, why would I buy something that is 5% better in one sim, but is a hassle or isn't supported in everything else?

Simracing (to me) is a bigger hobby than just one or two serious sims, and I would feel pretty silly if my multithousand dollar racing simulator felt like crap or required weird workarounds when I just wanted to mess around with friends or on my own in a simcade title.

People look at the VRS base as good value for money, but all I see is an $800 iracing machine. That might be perfect for some, but not for everyone.

An analogy I heard recently was thinking of simracing gear like a monitor. If you're main game is CS:GO, hands down the best option right now is a 1080p BenQ 240hz TN panel. It's not close, monitors and monitors like it are just better for serious shooters. If that's the only game you play, it makes sense to buy that for your gaming PC. Me? Well I used to be global elite, and I still love CS and FPS titles, but I didn't buy a 240hz TN panel, rather a 1440p IPS display with gsync. I did it because even though CS might be the (current) pinnacle of my favorite game genre, my high-end gaming rig can do so much more.

Upvote 0
My brain also works this way, but I view it from the other angle, why would I buy something that is 5% better in one sim, but is a hassle or isn't supported in everything else?

Simracing (to me) is a bigger hobby than just one or two serious sims, and I would feel pretty silly if my multithousand dollar racing simulator felt like crap or required weird workarounds when I just wanted to mess around with friends or on my own in a simcade title.

People look at the VRS base as good value for money, but all I see is an $800 iracing machine. That might be perfect for some, but not for everyone.

An analogy I heard recently was thinking of simracing gear like a monitor. If you're main game is CS:GO, hands down the best option right now is a 1080p BenQ 240hz TN panel. It's not close, monitors and monitors like it are just better for serious shooters. If that's the only game you play, it makes sense to buy that for your gaming PC. Me? Well I used to be global elite, and I still love CS and FPS titles, but I didn't buy a 240hz TN panel, rather a 1440p IPS display with gsync. I did it because even though CS might be the (current) pinnacle of my favorite game genre, my high-end gaming rig can do so much more.

Both valid reasons for purchasing, I've not found the VRS to be that specific though, it feels better in every sim I run than the Accuforce and at least on a par with the DD1 I got to try for a couple of hours (on iRacing and ACC which were what I ran most at that time).

I've spent many years in the Bicycle industry and get asked by many people which bike to buy, this is where my 95% philosophy comes from but feel it can be applied in many purchasing decisions. Of course in your case buying a VRS, or other DD base that doesn't cover natively the racing titles you want to run, would be daft. Simracing to me is a few hours a week practicing for the online races and then the races themselves and not much else, this may involve several sims but not much in the way of casual racing or AI racing.

Upvote 0
Simracing to me is a few hours a week practicing for the online races and then the races themselves and not much else

This is how I used to be when I first got into it, since I started getting my wife into it and started looking around in the community at large I starting having a lot of fun with other stuff, VR in AMS2, Dirt against friends, doing meme F1 seasons sharing the save with my friend in Australia, community drives in big sprawling AC mods, etc. It's been a game changer for me. I had to learn to have fun with my expensive purchases!

iRacing is definitely end-game, and the Simucube is definitely better in that (and also in all of original AC) but I'm a competitive dude so iracing is never exactly chill lol. I've also been fortunate enough to have some time on the DD2 and it's not bad at all. I think people forget that even though fanatec has issues it's still a DD base and extremely good. It's just not as good in the most serious sim on the block.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Time and wife (and younger son) conspire against that in my case. I wish I could be in a similar position but it won't be the case for a few years yet (maybe at that point I'll wish I'd picked something else but I'll have had a good few years of enjoyment out of my current base by that point).

The DD1 is great, I couldn't pick a winner, when in use, between it and the VRS but cost (I only need one wheel for the foreseeable future) became the deciding factor, reliability and customer service were also important and I've had poor service from Fanatec in the past. I've not tried the Simucube and it wasn't really an option due to cost as I'd want to go wireless if it was available, which adds more cost.

Upvote 0
I second this.
While the hardware is great, it seems the team working on the software is not truly interested in listening to the users on what they need/want, but rather focus on what they believe is best for business & features.
For now this means development of online features, that while can become great seems to be hindering dev of any other filter work. Also what used to be a very simple & easy to use TrueDrive software is, at least for now, as weird hybrid that does not sit well anywhere and has bugs everywhere.
Bugs used to be mostly in the fanatec driver camp, but for now it's the same for the SC2 software.

Also the weird politics on "premium features" for the Ultimate version muddies the water for me. Be aware of this before you buy & check that you will not need the "gamma filter", for example, as I think you get that with some of the other, cheaper options.

I am not so biased against my SC2 as I have been earlier, bittersweet is def. the right word for me as well. If I had to buy a DD wheel from scratch now, I honestly don't know what I would buy. Prob. it's best to wait just 6 months or so more as I am sure the DD landscape is ripe for a slide.
Have you asked about adding “gamma filter” to TD on GD forums?
I also found that in iRacing forces, even with 25Nm wheel force, are usually quite weak...until you hit a wall etc. - then the wheel literally can rip out of your hands. In other games the difference isn’t that huge and some have some kind of gamma (AC), or low force boost (AMS1).
Perhaps in iRacing some combination of lowering max force(which counterintuitively increases all forces linearly) and lowering max wheel force would help.

Upvote 0
Have you asked about adding “gamma filter” to TD on GD forums?
I also found that in iRacing forces, even with 25Nm wheel force, are usually quite weak...until you hit a wall etc. - then the wheel literally can rip out of your hands. In other games the difference isn’t that huge and some have some kind of gamma (AC), or low force boost (AMS1).
Perhaps in iRacing some combination of lowering max force(which counterintuitively increases all forces linearly) and lowering max wheel force would help.

I did complaint about it in the GD forum, since I didn't realize that filters like that are reserved for the ultimate only, and not the not so "pro" when buying.
So for iracing i modded irffb, so I have a special version where I can adjust an Lfb curve on top.
I had to, since no fiddling in settings can help and I hurt my hands more than once bc of that....

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 16 12.1%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Thursday

Votes: 16 12.1%
  • Friday

Votes: 49 37.1%
  • Saturday

Votes: 79 59.8%