oculus latest update, 10/09/18

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
todays update is preventing my GTX1080ti/CV1 to work.
This morning all was fine and this afternoon after the update nothing works.
anyone else is on the same boat?
Does someone has a solution?

Just read this in the reddit blog. AC might not benefit from this new update, unless the devs do some updated development.

“ASW 2.0 is the result of 2 years of hard work to fix this. It delivers the same benefits of the original ASW, but now because it also uses depth information, it has far less artefacting (almost none).

CAVEAT: ASW 2.0's new tech relies on the game feeding the depth buffer to the Rift drivers, so it will still look like ASW 1.0 for games that don't do this. The good news though is that in Unity this is literally a 1-tick checkbox, and in Unreal, it's onby default! No special development effort required for either engine. For games using custom engines though, it may be a more effort, so those devs might not do it”
Yeah, I read that too. If AC doesn't provide this data already then I hope Kunos will see fit to add it and not just "lol, buy ACC mofos" us.

Upvote 0
Oculus had better get their act together. The 'update' seems to have broken more than it fixed. I don't even have a screen displayed in my headset now...just audio. It is rather silly not to have covered all bases by allowing the option to revert, since this is a mandatory update.

Upvote 0
Oculus had better get their act together. The 'update' seems to have broken more than it fixed. I don't even have a screen displayed in my headset now...just audio. It is rather silly not to have covered all bases by allowing the option to revert, since this is a mandatory update.
Make sure Oculus Home is running in the background, it's now needed.
Disable the Admin trick so it boots with the game.
Install Oculus Homeless to improve performance:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8uf1sm/oculushomeless_use_dash_without_home_20/

Upvote 0
Guys just a heads up. Apart from the stupid issue with AC needing Content Manager AND Oculus Home to be started fresh before the Rift will boot into the game, I have had 2 races tonight with no ill effects. I've installed the Homeless file, tested the race server in practice and was near or at 90hz for pretty much the whole time, on a mod version of Bathurst. This is with settings I would have been using with 1.30 and earlier. 1.5 SS, 4x AA, max world detail and gbW PP enabled at low.

I did force ASW during the race however, as I wanted to make sure things stayed consistent for me and that turned out really well. It obeyed the command from OTT, maintained it throughout the race from what I could tell. I am not certain on the performance versus prior the update, but this is the best experience I've had since it all turned to sh!t.

Upvote 0
@MarcG It is true that you wouldn't need the OpenVR version of AC to run with Oculus since native support is provided, BUT, in this instance I'd say it's worth people giving the .dll a shot running OpenVR.

Such is the catastrophe that these goons have left us with, why not? People are formatting their PC's for f*cks sake, what a joke that it has come to this. I fought the urge to do so too, knowing that this was most likely an Oculus turd that had been deposited into my PC unknowingly. Now EVERYONE smells it.

Upvote 0
Guys just a heads up. Apart from the stupid issue with AC needing Content Manager AND Oculus Home to be started fresh before the Rift will boot into the game, I have had 2 races tonight with no ill effects. I've installed the Homeless file, tested the race server in practice and was near or at 90hz for pretty much the whole time, on a mod version of Bathurst. This is with settings I would have been using with 1.30 and earlier. 1.5 SS, 4x AA, max world detail and gbW PP enabled at low.

I did force ASW during the race however, as I wanted to make sure things stayed consistent for me and that turned out really well. It obeyed the command from OTT, maintained it throughout the race from what I could tell. I am not certain on the performance versus prior the update, but this is the best experience I've had since it all turned to sh!t.
Yep, mine is pretty much back to normal too. Maybe even 100% back to normal, but I can't help feeling that there's an Oculus gremlin somewhere behind the scenes who keeps giving my CPU's neck a friendly squeeze every now and again.

Paranoid, me?

How long before the adverts appear...?

Upvote 0
It's just crazy the amount of time and energy people have wasted trying to work out what the hell happened to their systems. It's a disgrace. The thing was in beta for how long? Then they drop the hammer and it all goes belly up. How? I mean, I could not hit either 45 nor 90hz AT ALL for like 3 days. Had me crying for my triples back (if I had the room for them) it was so bad. There's already a lot to have to deal with when using the Rift. The cable, the sensor, the fact that we as sim racers are strapped into our chairs normally away from our traditional controls, the heat, the regular performance issues, the list goes on.

Then this.

Upvote 0
Exactly!
I was trying to find a description.
You get the screen partially displayed...part black while getting sorted...then skipping and finally okay after a brief stutter?
It is annoying as heck. I close my eyes for a few seconds until it is fully loaded now.
Did you lose the mouse cursor in AC?
I have to scroll the mouse until. I see one of the menu items highlight then move it up or down before I can press enter to select. No cursor at all in AC.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU..!
I've just started getting this now. Sitting in the cockpit on the grid, hit the 'start race' button mapped to my wheel... and a frikkin' egg timer appears, and the headset lags, and half the screen goes black for a second or two. Then back to normal.
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

Oculus, you sons of...

Upvote 0
I get the feeling that if it's not a massive headache to do it, Kunos would more than likely have it sorted straight away. Or, or, they could gauge the interest of the people (the same people that spam the sh!t out of every chat or forum they mention it in) and introduce it AFTER release.....

Who gets me...?

Upvote 0
@Terry Rock do you get the half-black-screen/egg timer thing on short tracks?
I noticed it for the first time on LAC just now but it didn't do it on Laguna Seca. There was still a slight judder, but no black screen/egg timer. Maybe it only does it on longer tracks? I dunno.

Oculus: pull your fingers out of your arse-cracks and sort this shite out please. Thanks.

Upvote 0
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU..!
I've just started getting this now. Sitting in the cockpit on the grid, hit the 'start race' button mapped to my wheel... and a frikkin' egg timer appears, and the headset lags, and half the screen goes black for a second or two. Then back to normal.
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

Oculus, you sons of...

Try how I did it

1. Load DisplayDriverUninstaller
https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,19.html

Run Windows in Safe Mode.
Start DDU . Run Deinstall without restart.
Deinstall the old Display Driver.
Done. I installed Nvidia 416.34 in safe mode too.
Then Restart

2 . change Home2Shipping exe trom Reddit threat
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8uf1sm/oculushomeless_use_dash_without_home_20/

3. Give oculus client.exe Admin Rights.

As far as the preparation.

Then start Oculus. If everything went right, the Dash should now have a gray background without the Home2 from Oculus.

Minimize Oculus, do not close.

Start Steam and Steam VR.

Then start Content Manager or AC normally.

Go to Graphics Settings and change the output of "Oculus Rift" to "Open VR".

Start AC ..

Hope it works for you too ..

Upvote 0
Try how I did it

1. Load DisplayDriverUninstaller
https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,19.html

Run Windows in Safe Mode.
Start DDU . Run Deinstall without restart.
Deinstall the old Display Driver.
Done. I installed Nvidia 416.34 in safe mode too.
Then Restart

2 . change Home2Shipping exe trom Reddit threat

3. Give oculus client.exe Admin Rights.

As far as the preparation.

Then start Oculus. If everything went right, the Dash should now have a gray background without the Home2 from Oculus.

Minimize Oculus, do not close.

Start Steam and Steam VR.

Then start Content Manager or AC normally.

Go to Graphics Settings and change the output of "Oculus Rift" to "Open VR".

Start AC ..

Hope it works for you too ..
Thanks, I've already installed Oculus Homeless a few days ago and everything *seems* fine apart from this egg-timer lag when starting a race, but it only seems to happen on really long tracks like LAC.
I realised the half-black-screen thing was caused by me moving my head when the egg timer appears.

Upvote 0
@Terry Rock do you get the half-black-screen/egg timer thing on short tracks?
I noticed it for the first time on LAC just now but it didn't do it on Laguna Seca. There was still a slight judder, but no black screen/egg timer. Maybe it only does it on longer tracks? I dunno.

Oculus: pull your fingers out of your arse-cracks and sort this shite out please. Thanks.
That was exactly what I got prior.
I now get nothing...just audio in headset...no visuals.
I can launch the Oculus interface on the monitor but nothing comes on screen in the headset.
I am essentially 'dead-in-the-water' until Oculus gets off their duff and fixes this.
It has gone from a pleasant experience to one of frustration.
Think I'll take a break from this for a while.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I share your pain dude. I wasted a day's holiday trying to figure out what was wrong and sort this flustercluck out. At one point I was going to jump in the car and make a fifty mile round trip to exchange what I thought was a faulty HMD.
The good news is the 'no-home' fix seems to work and only takes a minute to set up.

How did you get the No Home fix to work? It had no effect on my rift. I have to use SteamVR, and although it works the game performance is quite poor with the FPS hardly ever over 45. At Prague it was as low as 22 :).

Upvote 0
You need to replace the default home file with the one that removes home and just displays the grey background. It's listed above somewhere. Once you replace the file, it should just work. Make sure to remove the 'run as admin' checkmark if you have enabled it in Oculus Home, it messes with things now.

Upvote 0
Guys.. didn't find a solution for my problem since last rift update...

I run content manager and race. After quiting the race and restart an other one, i am staying in the oculus home in the rift and my tv go in ac?

So I hear the sound but no image of ac...
Not using admin and not using steam vr.

Thx for the help!

Upvote 0
@Jordan Dion When you exit a race in AC, exit Content Manager and close the Oculus software. For now, each time you leave the track and go back to CM you need to exit everything and start again. It's the only way to make the Rift boot into the game. Trust me, this works. It's been driving me mad also.

Oculus: Wasting your time and providing infuriating user experiences since "insert time this trash was released".

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back