oculus latest update, 10/09/18

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
todays update is preventing my GTX1080ti/CV1 to work.
This morning all was fine and this afternoon after the update nothing works.
anyone else is on the same boat?
Does someone has a solution?

I read earlier that Oculus Home now needs to be launched and running which wasn’t the case before. Try that and report back.

If so, that’s not a smart move as it will use valuable resource. I haven’t updated yet and will try to avoid doing so until I know whether or not this was planned or not and a fix will follow.

Upvote 0
So I uninstalled Oculus , re installed and blocked the update by disconnecting from the internet and all is back to normal, everything works.
What is the best way to prevent updates in Oculus? Is putting to toggle in settings, general to off automatic update enough?
I wrote to a ticket to oculus, I am waiting on what they have to say.

Upvote 0
I had the same issue after latest update with AC and PC2. Now to make it work you need to run Oculus Home first. I hope it will be fixed soon as running it uses valuable resources.

Upvote 0
So I uninstalled Oculus , re installed and blocked the update by disconnecting from the internet and all is back to normal, everything works.
What is the best way to prevent updates in Oculus? Is putting to toggle in settings, general to off automatic update enough?

That should indeed work.

To turn on automatic app updates for your Oculus Rift in the Oculus app:
  • Open the Oculus app on your PC computer.
  • Select Settings from the left menu.
  • Select the General tab.
  • Next to Automatic App Updates, click to turn automatic updates on or off.

Oculus Support
https://support.oculus.com/1056318821150901/
https://support.oculus.com/1056318821150901/
I'm not sure what my own auto-update setting is so, as you've done, I'll disconnect from the internet, launch Oculus Home and check that it's off before reconnecting.

Upvote 0
I have had the problem where my Oculus light is on but the image is black, I revert back to the standard home rather than the Beta and it starts working again. Happened twice now.

How do you change from Beta to Standard? Even though I think I am already using Standard, After update I have the issue when the Oculus light is on but no image. For me the only solution is to run Oculus Home first and minimize it but it robs some performance. I would prefer how it was before.

Upvote 0
How do you change from Beta to Standard? Even though I think I am already using Standard, After update I have the issue when the Oculus light is on but no image. For me the only solution is to run Oculus Home first and minimize it but it robs some performance. I would prefer how it was before.

Hope this helps

oculus_settings.png

For some reason, I had to re-install the Oculus app.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not sure if related issue but I had to quit a race last night because of motion sickness. My frame rate was all over the place and ASW never kicked in. I went back to do some testing after recovering and still the same issue. FPS all over even when hotlapping alone and no ASW.

I turned on render stats to verify all this. I’m on beta.

Upvote 0
Home running in the background in v1.31 is apparently a Bug as it is meant to close when running Games, Oculus are asking for Log files. I'm still on 1.30 as mine just refuses to update for some reason.

Upvote 0
Bloody hell, I wish I'd found this thread four hours ago instead of trying everything I could think of to get the image back in my HMD. I assumed I had a faulty headset. What a great way to spend half of your day off, NOT. Grrrrr...
My symptoms (in Assetto Corsa):
TV is showing the Rift display, it moves with head movement, but the headset itself has no image, just black screens.
If I have Oculus Home running in the background then start Assetto Corsa (via Content Manager) I get the image back in the headset, but it is laggy as all hell.
Oculus Home apps all work fine.

I assumed all this was either a hardware fault, or caused by yesterday's Win 10 update, or caused by an Assetto update, or by trying ACC in VR.
So it's actually caused by an Oculus update? Didn't they roll out a FUBAR update earlier this year too?

What's my best course of action please folks? I've had a nightmare of a morning..!

Upvote 0
Was in the process of trying this but stopped when a warning popped up saying I'd lose all my installed Oculus apps if I uninstalled Oculus. Did this happen to you @Cote Dazur ?

Upvote 0
OK, so I uninstalled Oculus and redownloaded it from the Oculus site, which automatically reinstalled it. It immediately put me onto app version 1.31.0.686553.
So is the latest patch (that I'm trying to avoid) now included in the download?
At no point did I have a chance to disconnect my internet before setting it up. It automatically logged me in to my account.
I've actually got the automatic app udates turned off, but isn't this just for the apps themselves (eg rollercoaster experiences) rather than the Oculus software itself?
Long story short, the Rift still isn't displaying images.

@Cote Dazur, how did you manage to roll back to 1.30 and keep it there?
@Steve D, did you have any luck?

I don't say this often but I wish I'd gone to bloody work today..!
Bah.

Upvote 0
@Steve D, did you have any luck?

I don't say this often but I wish I'd gone to bloody work today..!
Bah.

What an absolute mare!

At the moment mate I've not launched Oculus Home since the update became available and I don't believe it can be applied unless this is done. But don't quote me on that. I very rarely launch it anyway as I use Tray Tool or Steam VR to manage at an application level and I don't use my Rift for anything other than race sims so any apps that are installed are redundant.

I also tend to apply the old moto 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' to absolutely anything driver or software-related unless it's forced upon me or sufficient time has passed for any gremlins to be reported and / or ironed out.

I'm gonna fire up the Rift in a mo (with a little trepidation) and I'll report back if the update has somehow been applied. It was working just fine last night though.

Upvote 0
What an absolute mare!

At the moment mate I've not launched Oculus Home since the update became available and I don't believe it can be applied unless this is done. But don't quote me on that. I very rarely launch it anyway as I use Tray Tool or Steam VR to manage at an application level and I don't use my Rift for anything other than race sims so any apps that are installed are redundant.

I also tend to apply the old moto 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' to absolutely anything driver or software-related unless it's forced upon me or sufficient time has passed for any gremlins to be reported and / or ironed out.

I'm gonna fire up the Rift in a mo (with a little trepidation) and I'll report back if the update has somehow been applied. It was working just fine last night though.
Mine was working fine last night too. According to the log, the Oculus update downloaded this morning (no doubt because it knew I had the bastard day off).
I've tried three times unsuccessfully redownloading the Oculus software and interrupting my internet as it starts to install. The patch must definitely be part of the download, or it's not uninstalled with the main app.
Playing AC with Oculus Home running in the background is a no-no. I had one smooth race with Home open at the menus, but as soon as you exit the race it dumps you in a farty 3D room with orchestral music and leaves blowing around, then doesn't seem to clear this crap from the background before the next race, which is a 10fps judderfest.

I hate to say it but it looks like this is a deliberate 'feature' going forward, if this screen is to believed. It popped up when I tried closing the Oculus app between races to see if the Rift would continue working (it didn't)

upload_2018-10-11_15-53-44.png

These Oculus idiots need to sort this crap out if they think this is a good idea.
If they had two brains they'd be twice as stupid.

Upvote 0
That doesn't look too promising does it! :confused:

I seem to be 'safe' at the mo but that's without launching Home and hopefully avoiding the auto-install of this problematic update.

Can you confirm that you actually launched Home (or have you set it up to start with Windows) to receive the update or was it applied in the background without the application being open anyway?

Upvote 0
Steve, I take it that the 'Run as Administrator' trick no longer works with the update then as you need Home to be running regardless to get the HMD to display anything?

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 245 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years