oculus latest update, 10/09/18

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
todays update is preventing my GTX1080ti/CV1 to work.
This morning all was fine and this afternoon after the update nothing works.
anyone else is on the same boat?
Does someone has a solution?

What I do is this:
  • I start "Virtual Desktop" in the Oculus desktop menu (I bought Virtual Desktop ages ago).
  • Wait for Virtual Desktop to start.
  • Put the Rift on my head.
  • Start CM and start a race.
  • When the race is over I need to activate Virtual Desktop with my Oculus remote (Dash pops up now, that's annoying).
  • I'm back in CM again and can start a new race.
No problems at all. Oculus Home isn't started once.

Upvote 0
I don't know why but after installing Oculus Homeless I just start CM and race as normal. Between races I get the grey screen/music in the headset, when the race starts I get Assetto Corsa. I can exit/restart races multiple times and it just works. I don't need to jump through all the hoops some of you are. I don't even need to start Oculus, it starts by itself.

Upvote 0
I have figured out a workaround for Assetto Corsa (YMMV). By 'refreshing ' the Oculus runtime service via stop/start I am able to get AC to show in the headset. I have to refresh every single time I run this game. The problem seems to be with Dash, not Oculus Home--at least for me. AC is the only program I have an issue with. If Dash is allowed to appear in the headset it is too late and AC will not show up, only the sound. I use Content Manager; first I 'refresh' the service via batch file, then wait for the game to start to load. Only then do I put on the headset and the game loads/runs without issue.

Upvote 0
Oculus starts for me on its own, too, but I am unable to run anything without the Oculus software actually being open. I cannot tick Run As Admin anymore otherwise it won't start. Using the Homeless patch, things are OK for me now although there are still some annoyances which you can work around (the restarting CM thing is one of them). Raceroom continues to be the bane of my existence in VR but this was the same prior to the update. I can't say this has made it any better, however.

I'm going to try what that link above suggests and see how we get on with that way.

Upvote 0
I'm in the @Mascot camp.

If it makes any difference, I still have the Oculus Client, (with Homeless mod), set up to run as administrator which means I have to launch it manually and I now do that before anything else, where my my usual start up procedure is concerned. :) I just leave it running after that and I don't need to exit CM or restart it. And If I do hop out of AC, I can jump in to rF2 or RaceRoom with Homeless still running and without issue.

I'm convinced performance is still compromised a little though but that's not conclusive.

Upvote 0
I'm actually convinced that Assetto Corsa races load quicker in Content Manager after the Oculus update, but that might just have coincided with a CM update.

Upvote 0
I'm really PO with the folks at Oculus.
Do you realize that despite the vast number of complaints for this specific issue, nobody has even bothered to come out with a single word or even a deadline for getting this resolved?
A simple statement to the effect 'we acknowledge and are working to resolve it' ...anything is better than the 'deafening' silence.
It is quite clear to me that the update is somehow inhibiting video signal to the headset.
I can move the HDMI cable driving my monitor to either of the two HDMI ports on the back of my videocard and the output signal is present and displayed on screen.
I can start the Oculus app, start a game on the desktop, move the headset by hand and watch what I should be seeing in VR play out on screen.
That tell me the tracking is working as it should.
Is this how good business is conducted now?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I doubt that they ever do. I have another Rift problem unrelated to this thread and the problem first started being reported in 2016. Still no fix and I don't believe they have ever officially acknowledged the issue.

Upvote 0
@Jordan Dion
@anton_Chez
please fill up the support ticket:) the more of us - the more they believe there is a problem. because when i described this issue and have provided logs, the did me a formal reply (i not gonna believe it:roflmao:):
someone from support said:
:
For this specific issue, you will want to get in contact with the developers of Assetto Corsa, as everything with your Oculus software is functioning as intended. I understand that previously everything was working for you, however the troubleshooting I can offer for third party content is quite limited.

Upvote 0
Oh I believe it. It's the same response you get from any scumbag entity that only cares in taking your money and then gives exactly zero sh!ts how your user experience is affected in any way due to their incompetence / greed.

Contact the developers of Assetto Corsa? The same developers that are hard at work on their NEW title having COMPLETED their previous one? I'm sure it has everything to do with them and not the fact that everything we were doing before in any title is no longer working regarding the Rift.

I'm also sure AC was the reason that I spend 9 months away from the Rift since Christmas last year. Even though it's one of the best examples of how to make VR work in a racing sim, with a clean implementation and also very good performance.

I'm just hoping for the 72hz mode to come very quickly on the Pimax 5K+ I'm expecting some time before the end of the century. If that runs smoothly for me with my 1080Ti, I'll be backing over the Rift with my van with great pleasure. Instead of formatting my PC to fix Oculus issues, I'll be formatting my PC to rid it of the cancer that is Oculus 1.31, permanently.

That should fix it.

Upvote 0
Contact the developers of Assetto Corsa?
it will get no effect, because the issue is not about AC:)
i just quot myself from Oculus forums:
hazardic said:
i did test OpenVR selection with AC and it finally launched to HMD. However the performance is poor (~50 fps with ugly spikes down to 20 fps) with Homeless - and this is with 5930k+1080ti+32gb ram! Utter nonsense. Hate it.
RIft native support won't work like OpenVR, no matter i do, so - broken!
That's why i now use https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9odbvz + Virtual Desktop from Steam - and it works like a charm, like previous brilliant work, with stable 90 fps with plenty of headroom. But of course this is stupid - to un old runtime and in fact this is a crutch, but at least i got almost the same functionality and same fps.

Upvote 0
it will get no effect, because the issue is not about AC:)
i just quot myself from Oculus forums:
It might not be the Oculus software. I run a 6600k/980Ti and am having performance the same as (or extremely similar to) what I had prior to the recent update. The only difference is that Oculus Homeless is running all the time and appears in my headset when races are loading in AC with Content Manager (I don't play any other sims right now). I'm having zero problems with it, no reboots needed, no shutting down/restarting CM, no restarting Homeless. It's not really any different to how it was before.

That's not to say I'm happy with Oculus forcing this on me. I'm not. It cost me a day's holiday of investigation and resolution. But it now works and I'm not really aware that's it's running apart from the music that plays between races.

Your problem might lie elsewhere.

Upvote 0
really strange, especially considering you are using CM - i did saw mentions, that using CM could give issues, but vanilla launcher not.
Do you launch with RIft support in video settings for AC?

I think Mascot is playing with ASW forced ON at 45 FPS.. that run .. but i playing with ASW OFF to forced 90 fps.. and there is not the same performance before.. but its ok for me.

Upvote 0
I'll probably jinx myself here but I wanted to share my observations:

Since I've done a new build with a fresh install of Windows 10, I have had no issues with Assetto Corsa with Content Manager. I can drop in n out of races, changes cars/tracks/settings, go in and am maxed out at FPS with no hiccups. Version: 1.31.0.6864553 I get no home launched in the background, no lingering music. I had all those issues plus a bunches of performance issues and crashed in AC before the rebuild.

I don't think that's the cure ofcourse as it's not reasonable but what I'm hoping is that the in place upgrade is what's causing the problems and hopefully something they can patch in.

Upvote 0
really strange, especially considering you are using CM - i did saw mentions, that using CM could give issues, but vanilla launcher not.
Do you launch with RIft support in video settings for AC?

My experience, using Homeless, is identical to @Mascot's. I'm also using CM for AC with the Rift set up in CM's video settings. No issues whatsoever and that applies to my experience with rFactor 2 and RaceRoom as well, although it does feel like I'm dropping a few frames on rare occasion compared to before 1.31, when all was good with the world. But it's negligible and performance is buttery smooth most of the time. (I'm not forcing ASW at 45 either)

However for 'shits and giggles' I did have a fiddle with the alternative solution last night, https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9odbvz/ and that too was very easy to implement and worked well with no issues. If anything I felt AC performance (through CM) was a little more consistent compared to Homeless. However, somewhat ironically, RF2's performance took a real dive for some reason.

So I ended up reverting back to Homeless and will leave it at that. :)

Upvote 0
My experience, using Homeless, is identical to @Mascot's. I'm also using CM for AC with the Rift set up in CM's video settings. No issues whatsoever and that applies to my experience with rFactor 2 and RaceRoom as well, although it does feel like I'm dropping a few frames on rare occasion compared to before 1.31, when all was good with the world. But it's negligible and performance is buttery smooth most of the time. (I'm not forcing ASW at 45 either)

However for 'shits and giggles' I did have a fiddle with the alternative solution last night, https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9odbvz/ and that too was very easy to implement and worked well with no issues. If anything I felt AC performance (through CM) was a little more consistent compared to Homeless. However, somewhat ironically, RF2's performance took a real dive for some reason.

So I ended up reverting back to Homeless and will leave it at that. :)
I forgot to mention the second or so of tracking lag I get when starting a race (ie when the red countdown lights appear). It seems to get longer on bigger tracks (and almost makes me miss the countdown entirely on LA Canyons). Do you have this at all @Steve D?
It's not a major problem but is a minor annoyance. It never happened before 1.31.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 184 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 362 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing