oculus latest update, 10/09/18

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
todays update is preventing my GTX1080ti/CV1 to work.
This morning all was fine and this afternoon after the update nothing works.
anyone else is on the same boat?
Does someone has a solution?

Steve, I take it that the 'Run as Administrator' trick no longer works with the update then as you need Home to be running regardless to get the HMD to display anything?

Nope, it was the first thing I checked.

That doesn't look too promising does it! :confused:

I seem to be 'safe' at the mo but that's without launching Home and hopefully avoiding the auto-install of this problematic update.

Can you confirm that you actually launched Home (or have you set it up to start with Windows) to receive the update or was it applied in the background without the application being open anyway?

I can't remember opening Oculus Home last night, but I did boot up ACC to (unsuccessfully) try the VR update. Maybe that triggered something?

This has killed sim racing dead for me at the moment. It's unplayable in VR and there's no way I can go back to pancaking.

If this IS how we have to use our Rifts for sim racing from now on then it needs better development. My first race with Home open is smooth (but with a noticeable performance hit in certain corners on a car/track combo I've been hammering lately so know exactly what to expect) but the second race, after getting dumped into farty-3D-room shittery, is an unplayable double-image judderfest.

Stuff like this, and my amp sporadically not talking to my PC, and my pedals sometimes going on holiday... Man, it makes me kind of nostalgic for Trans-Am on the Spectrum.

Upvote 0
I am on 1.31.0.686553 version and I still need to start Oculus Home before launching AC or PC2 otherwise no image.
How is your performance? Similar to my experience (first race OK, subsequent races like bleach in the eyes)? Are you getting dumped into a farty room with orchestral music between races?

Upvote 0
I can't even get the first race to be smooth now.

Does anyone want to buy £6k worth of sim racing equipment?
£20 the lot if you can collect today and get it out of my sight before sundown.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How is your performance? Similar to my experience (first race OK, subsequent races like bleach in the eyes)? Are you getting dumped into a farty room with orchestral music between races?

What I have noticed so far is that the performance has degraded probably due to running that bloody Oculus Home in conjunction with the game. I know experience occasional stutters but what is worse the game sometimes just crashes and takes me to the desktop. I am using CM as well. Running on 1070, i7 78020HK.

Upvote 0
The odd thing is that Home usually closes down when a VR app launches doesn't it? Odd if it's still there but if it isn't then the Oculus client or Core is the resource hog.

Don't think you're going to be able to get away from 1.31 Steve but maybe the following will help.

1. Maybe try un-ticking Run as Administrator, assuming you have it ticked

2. Ensure you are running the latest Nvidia driver 416.16 or maybe rollback if you are.

3. Do you have graphics quality settings or presets in Home 2.0. If so, dial them right down. Shouldn't matter on the basis that it shouldn't run upon game launch anyway but if it does now, it might make a difference.

Upvote 0
The odd thing is that Home usually closes down when a VR app launches doesn't it? Odd if it's still there but if it isn't then the Oculus client or Core is the resource hog.

Don't think you're going to be able to get away from 1.31 Steve but maybe the following will help.

1. Maybe try un-ticking Run as Administrator, assuming you have it ticked

2. Ensure you are running the latest Nvidia driver 416.16 or maybe rollback if you are.

3. Do you have graphics quality settings or presets in Home 2.0. If so, dial them right down. Shouldn't matter on the basis that it shouldn't run upon game launch anyway but if it does now, it might make a difference.
Thanks Steve, I'll maybe try those later once I've finished building this bonfire. What temperature does aluminium melt at, out of interest?

Upvote 0
@Mascot I end up re upload and disconect the internet as it was installing so I am still on 1.30. If I reconnect to the internet with oculus closed it does not update on his own. I have sent a ticket and a log to support.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This update finally landed on my system and oh boy what a mess, RFactor2 runs in the background of the Dash/Oculus Home place and refuses to let RF2 take focus. Then when I quit and restart the game the Rift is Black....sent a Report Log so hopefully they'll fix it, right PITA this is.

I've uninstalled the entire Oculus Software for now and will try again tomorrow, fresh and hopefully racing.

Upvote 0
Okay, so I didn't avoid the 'chuffing' update after all. Even without launching Home it was still applied!!

How did I find this out? One minute all was good with the world and literally the next no lights or display in the Rift HMD.

So I had no choice but to launch Home, set up the Rift again and all was good although my Nvidia Surround desktop was completely screwed up upon restart and I had to reconfigure that.

Whilst inside Home however I did find some High, Medium & Low graphic settings specific to the Home screen only. Oddly I could only access this specific menu with the left Touchpad whilst the right Touch pad allowed access to the general settings and menus. I set to Low which reduced the quality within the Home screen but that was fine by me. I also switched off AA in the separate graphics menu.

After that I launched AC via Content Manager as usual and ran several race sessions, one after the other. (Nissan Primera at Donny with up to 16 AI). I experienced no performance hit as far as I could tell and I even thought that text and digits appeared sharper in car. I switched over to the Porsche RSR and maintained that opinion. Weird and probably just a placebo effect! I then switched to RF2, which launches via SteamVR and again, all was good. Race Room as well.

So have I got lucky or did reducing those Home screen graphic settings to the lowest possible level negate the impact of whatever could affect performance? I'm also running the latest Nvidia drivers, 416.16 which might have helped.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay, so I didn't avoid the 'chuffing' update after all. Even without launching Home it was still applied!!

How did I find this out? One minute all was good with the world and literally the next no lights or display in the Rift HMD.

So I had no choice but to launch Home, set up the Rift again and all was good although my Nvidia Surround desktop was completely screwed up upon restart and I had to reconfigure that.

Whilst inside Home however I did find some High, Medium & Low graphic settings specific to the Home screen only. Oddly I could only access this specific menu with the left Touchpad whilst the right Touch pad allowed access to the general settings and menus. I set to Low which reduced the quality within the Home screen but that was fine by me. I also switched off AA in the separate graphics menu.

After that I launched AC via Content Manager as usual and ran several race sessions, one after the other. (Nissan Primera at Donny with up to 16 AI). I experienced no performance hit as far as I could tell and I even thought that text and digits appeared sharper in car. I switched over to the Porsche RSR and maintained that opinion. Weird and probably just a placebo effect! I then switched to RF2, which launches via SteamVR and again, all was good. Race Room as well.

So have I got lucky or did reducing those Home screen graphic settings to the lowest possible level negate the impact of whatever could affect performance? I'm also running the latest Nvidia drivers, 416.16 which might have helped.
I couldn't see any options for graphics in Oculus Home. Do I need Touch controllers for that? I sold them without even taking them out of the box as they aren't needed for simming.

Do you get the farty music kicking in between races, with Home in the visor? I hate that crap. I'm playing Assetto Corsa, not sitting in a dentist's waiting room.
Man, I hope they sort this out and it's not what we have to endure from now on. Everything was running perfectly. Does Home deactivate during races? I'm not convinced it does. I think it just mutes. I guess alt-tabbing might reveal that.

Man, I'm seriously pissed off about all of this. There's no good reason for Oculus to force this on us. It's totally killed me enthusiasm for sim racing right now. I'm fed up of jumping through hoops just to enjoy my hobby. Windows updates are bad enough, they always manage to bork my audio or peripheral settings, and now Oculus want to pile on too.

Upvote 0
This update finally landed on my system and oh boy what a mess, RFactor2 runs in the background of the Dash/Oculus Home place and refuses to let RF2 take focus. Then when I quit and restart the game the Rift is Black....sent a Report Log so hopefully they'll fix it, right PITA this is.

I've uninstalled the entire Oculus Software for now and will try again tomorrow, fresh and hopefully racing.

Marc,

I don't have any issues.

After I launch the Oculus Client (which after 1.31, has to be running to avoid the black screen), I run RF2 from a desktop shortcut.

Launch the game as usual from the destop, Steam VR kicks in and RF2 loads very soon after.

One thing to note is that I still run the Oculus Client as an Administrator. (Oculus Shortcut/Properties/Compatibility/Run this program as Administrator) This means that I have to launch the Oculus Client myself and moving the headset doesn't.

Upvote 0
I couldn't see any options for graphics in Oculus Home. Do I need Touch controllers for that? I sold them without even taking them out of the box as they aren't needed for simming.

Do you get the farty music kicking in between races, with Home in the visor? I hate that crap. I'm playing Assetto Corsa, not sitting in a dentist's waiting room.

It's a weird and not very user-friendly set up. When I'm in the room, I can launch a separate menu with the left touchpad only. This has a sub menu which includes PREFERENCES and within that is a GRAPHICS tab, which is only used to set the quality of the graphics in the room. However they can be reduced significantly. The right touchpad allows me to access another menu and there is a SETTINGS / GRAPHICS option there as well albeit it's only to switch AA on or off. Have no idea if there is another way of getting to those settings, e.g using an XBox controller?

With regards hearing music between races and Home appearing in the HMD, yes I do. But now I see what you mean! I'd been restarting races, i.e. not returning to CM afterwards and had no issues at all. I've just returned back to CM and launched the exact same race session and performance and fidelity are certainly hit noticeably! WTF!!. Closed down and relaunched CM and all was good again (So need to close and re-open the Oculus Client)

Upvote 0
It's a weird and not very user-friendly set up. When I'm in the room, I can launch a separate menu with the left touchpad only. This has a sub menu which includes PREFERENCES and within that is a GRAPHICS tab, which is only used to set the quality of the graphics in the room. However they can be reduced significantly. The right touchpad allows me to access another menu and there is a SETTINGS / GRAPHICS option there as well albeit it's only to switch AA on or off. Have no idea if there is another way of getting to those settings, e.g using an XBox controller?

With regards hearing music between races and Home appearing in the HMD, yes I do. But now I see what you mean! I'd been restarting races, i.e. not returning to CM afterwards and had no issues at all. I've just returned back to CM and launched the exact same race session and performance and fidelity are certainly hit noticeably! WTF!!. Closed down and relaunched CM and all was good again (So need to close and re-open the Oculus Client)
It's horrible, isn't it? I get a vastly reduced framerate AND horrendous double-image ghosting.

Has anyone got the installation file for the previous version I wonder?

This is totally unplayable as it stands.

Upvote 0
I did the same but it put me on 1.31.
Where did you download the Oculus software from?
un****ingbeleieveable, 1.31 creept in my Oculus, it was not even open. so I did a ddu and I am now downloading the latest driver for my GPU.
Mark my words: this is my last Oculus product ever!
those practice a totally unacceptable to me, even Microsoft has the decency to let us chose if you want to update or not and they have a quasi monopoly.:poop:
Gang of assholes.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Upvote 0
Has there been a big social media shitstorm about this? The web seems remarkably quiet. I imagine there are a lot of people this week who think their Rifts are broken.

I'm *hoping* that having Home running as a mandatory background app is a mistake from Oculus and it'll be corrected soon. They cannot seriously think that adding bloat to an already power-hungry device is a good idea, can they?

Or are they forcing its use in readiness for an invasion of unskippable adverts and marketing guff?

I'm still pissed off..!

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 328 28.0%