Night and Weather for AC. What to get? What to do?

OK ... if you've read any of my posts, you've got to know I am NOT computer friendly. I'd go as far to say I am probably best described as computer ... antagonistic.

I have done sufficient reading about this stuff to know that Content Manager will do the install. Thank God!

anyoldway ... It's going on for 6 months or so that we got night and weather for AC, and I honestly read all the threads about this stuff, but I STILL don't understand all this.

Could somebody explain (PLEASE include links PLEASE) what to get and what to do to have this miracle(s) of Night and Weather in my own virtual world.

I guess the install is probably just drag-n-drop over at CM.

The best person for this info that I know is @Dirk Steffen he has a knack with this stuff and knows how to install it in his sleep. CM does make it easier but you need the full version, and there's still a bit to do to get it working right from what I understand, hopefully Dirk will respond soon with an epic post of detail to get it happening for you.

Here is just a quick rundown for what is needed for the currently best experience to run Assetto Corsa at highest possibly graphics settings and day / night lighting + weather:

1) Full Licensed Version of Content Manager
https://assettocorsa.club/content-manager.html

2) access to the latest development version of the Dynamic Lights Shader Patch from Ilja (maker of Content Manager) through his Discord channel (the patch is currently in development at a neck breaking pace, so he decided to make it exclusively available through his Disqord where he is very active with user feedback, troubleshooting and regular updates and new features)
https://discordapp.com/channels/453595061788344330/453615474710675537

3) Peter Boese Good and Bad Weather Suite here on Racedepartment
This is by FAR the very best weather, PP Filter mod for Assetto Corsa of any - a few different other ones are out there with varying quality but in terms of image quality, realism, weather choices, features and FULL integration into Content Manager all others are put to shame.
It is so good that you can simply hit the real weather button when preparing a session in Content Manager and CM will choose:
- the correct time of day
- correct weather
- wind speeds
- clouds will move according to the real weather at the track (linked to windspeed)
- track grip levels (including rain effects when rainy)
- PP filter to resemble visibility realistically
- expansion from limited Kunos daytime to FULL 24h cycle to choose a time from (hence the possibility to race during night time)

It also comes with standard Kunos texture and PP filter replacements that fully work in online racing without any issues.
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/good-and-bad-weather-suite.19484/

4) track config files from Iljas discord channel
These define dynamic light sources around the track so you will have real, proper lights at racetracks where they should be
https://discordapp.com/channels/453595061788344330/465820035760390145

5) Vertex Ambient Occlusion track patch files (VAO Patches) from Iljas discord channel
These add more realistic AO shading textures to racetracks and help to achieve photorealism with the look of these tracks.
https://discordapp.com/channels/453595061788344330/479455851837521920

6) BLM lights app here on Racedepartment
This app allows to control light levels, use of vao-patches in user mode and on top of that in full extended mode provide a tool to actually build track config and vao-patch files yourself if you are inclined to modding.
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/blm-lights.22463/

Bonus: install the true wet track texture replacement mod from an Italian modder to actually have true wet track textures with reflecting surfaces and puddles when running at wet tracks (for select tracks only). The link and instructions how to install can be found in the very detailed Good Bad Weather mod from Peter Boese.

Extra Bonus: Have a try and install the latest preview app to actually have WORKING WIND SCREEN WIPERS AND RAIN TEXTURES in Assetto Corsa from Iljas discord channel (currently only two cars have this feature enabled: Mercedes AMG GT3 and Abarth Fiat 500) - this is only a preview of what is about to come in the near future to Assetto Corsa.

With all of this there are a lot of interesting features we have now in Assetto Corsa we never thought possible:

- dynamic headlights, brake lights
- illumination of track and other cars from backfire flames (try the Gr.5 cars with their proper flame throwers and you are in heaven !)
- visually flexible tires (best seen with vintage formula cars)
- fully working mirrors (independently adjustable AND rendering your own car as they would in real life)
- proper PP filter application in rear view mirrors (so they actually look like real mirrors and not like crystal clear magic displays no matter the lighting conditions)
- better, more realistic glowing brake disks on cars they concern
- more realistic looking head lights, even with emitting lights that illuminates track objects in the proper color of their lenses (look at those vintage cars with their warm glow vs modern LMP1 cars with their blue-ish, cold LED lights or those yellow lensed LM GT cars, …)
- proper cockpit instrument illumination

and more …

The entire process to get it all running from never having done it before is VERY daunting!

Go it step by step, make sure to have a clean, problem free installation first.
It is necessary that you will use Content Manager as your Kunos starter replacement full time (EVERYONE I know who has started to use Content Manager would never, ever go back to the Kunos starter).
It comes with a steep learning curve though, so go one step at a time.

The most critical is to install the dynamic lights shader patch THROUGH Content Manager - NOT using JSGE 123 app (CM has a special function to install the mod):

- With CM open - go to Content Manager / CONTENT / MODS
- drag and drop the zip file of the dynamic lights shader patch anywhere into the CM window
- the installation icon (top right corner, looking like three horizontal bars similar to a paper stack) will light up green
- click on the installation icon and click on INSTALL
- check in Content Manager / CONTENT / MODS that the dynamic lights shader patch is ENABLED (on the right side of the screen

Another SUPER important installation procedure is for the GBW Suite from Peter Boese.
He includes a very detailed PDF installation manual with his mod.
FOLLOW THE MANUAL STEP BY STEP T O T H E L E T T E R !!!
If you make the smallest mistake during this installation you likely start all over again as it involves manual installation by copying files and folders into particular places AND then enabling different features in Content Manager after successful installation.

This GBW installation can induce hair pulling moments as it really is easy to screw things up, so do it slow and easy.

Get on the TeamSpeak in one of the upcoming US Club races and I'll be able to help with any issues should you have any.
Once you have this up and running you wish you knew about this earlier - it is THAT GOOD ;-)

Forgot to mention 24 hr day cycle is also in the works. The guys is a genius
Excellent write up by the way.
Yes, it is truly amazing what Ilja has done over the course of the last 6 months - he has accomplished so many new features the devs have repeatedly said were impossible to bring to Assetto Corsa.

My most amazing sim racing experiences thus far have been to race in a complete 1969 field of multi class Le Mans racers in a Porsche 908 LH at early dawn - the lights, the fire spitting prototypes, the sounds of the GT cars such as e Ferrari 365 GTB, Shelby Daytona, Porsche 906 or seeing the Porsche 917K and Ferrari 512S going at it is just pure bliss.

Of course nothing can beat to race a full field of Gr.5 cars around tracks such as Road Atlanta, Riverside, Sebring or Spa at night with all that is going on with big flames the noise and the feel of a Porsche 935 K3 with it’s 800 hp BiTurbo monster engine sliding sideways under your butt.

For all I care Kunos can take their sweet time to finish ACC- I am in sim racing heaven with Assetto Corsa ;-)

I only suggest for anyone who has done the proper installation and finds they enjoy these new features, head over and make a little PayPal donation to Ilja, Peter and Davide and Co. to show them you value their endless hours of hard work on these amazing features ;-)

It is as easy as just going out and donate the equivalent of a cold beer or coffee after you had experienced a particularly enjoyable race that left you speechless. I am sure these guys really apreciate this and we need these talents to keep working hard for our enjoyment ;-)

Here is a super simple way for people that don't want to mess around too much.

1. Download JSGME and follow the installation instructions. Just search JSGME here on RD to find it.

2. Download the latest version of the lights patch from discord and unpack the MODS folder to your main AC folder or dump the lights patch folder into the MODS folder. Run JSGME and enable the lights patch mod.

3. Download a night or dynamic day/night weather. Black Night mod is a good simple night weather and works online as well as offline.

That's it. Fire up AC, select the night weather and hit the track. :)

JSGME is a really good mod, you basically unpack all your mods that might overwrite vanilla files into the MODS folder and you can enable/disable them instantly with JSGME.

I tried installing and using CM again, but I ran into issues with simvibe not working even though I know it has to point to CM etc, and also the default filters in GBW for online use made my tracks shadowless and bright. It just didn't work for me, but now reading this writeup, I really want to give it a go again from scratch, as I'm too annoyed to race in ACC atm.
One thing, what's the reason a full version of CM is needed, what's the difference?

I tried installing and using CM again, but I ran into issues with simvibe not working even though I know it has to point to CM etc, and also the default filters in GBW for online use made my tracks shadowless and bright. It just didn't work for me, but now reading this writeup, I really want to give it a go again from scratch, as I'm too annoyed to race in ACC atm.
One thing, what's the reason a full version of CM is needed, what's the difference?
Only a full CM version supports the detailed additional features to manage mods, settings and features related to some of the needed functions for full weather integration.

It really is a no brainer to pay up the laughably small fee though.
Ilja is constantly adding new features and expands, improves CM and provides excellent support through his discord channel.

If you get GBW working properly as it should it is absolutely worth it.
The effects you should be getting from GBW with online races is MUCH improved sky textures and high quality PP filters + Reshade options that improve image quality.

The extended weather modes and day times outside the Kunos AC limitations of 0800-1800 are not available in online mode though.

Just thought to ask: I know it's only been 6 months, but for a non-computer guy like me the process is still pretty daunting. Will there ever be a simpler, just-install-one-app for night and weather?

Only a full CM version supports the detailed additional features to manage mods, settings and features related to some of the needed functions for full weather integration.

It really is a no brainer to pay up the laughably small fee though.
Ilja is constantly adding new features and expands, improves CM and provides excellent support through his discord channel.

If you get GBW working properly as it should it is absolutely worth it.
The effects you should be getting from GBW with online races is MUCH improved sky textures and high quality PP filters + Reshade options that improve image quality.

The extended weather modes and day times outside the Kunos AC limitations of 0800-1800 are not available in online mode though.

I use VR, maybe that caused a few hickups, dunno.

Hopefully the weather effects Ilja is working on will not be tied to CM, SP, non VR or require changing things like smoke settings & will work at wet grip levels. If anyone can pull it off it's that guy!

I personally don't think you need full CM to enjoy the shaders patch. I use PB clouds, shaders patch and natural pp for VR through JSGME and black night weather for MP and if I want to make a pretty video or take some screenshots I fire up CM and launch with time outside 8am-6pm and one of the nice GBW weathers like sunset misty.

Not really. Obviously in vanilla launcher PP mods won't work unless you paste them into the default PP (I think they will work through CM though when selected in the launcher) you just might find some of the night weather mods are too light / bright but you can either shop around or edit one yourself.

When I made this:
I used my VR settings initially and it was completely pitch black on single screen! (That's a really old build of the lights patch BTW)

Very good install explanations by Dirk Steffen and Andy-R ! :thumbsup:

Using full Content Manager but installing mods with JSGME works for me perfectly .... as I know JSGME for many years now. This last one is very easy to use ... as even if you make a mistake ... you just unactivate what you just installed ... and may correct it while the game is still perfectly working as it was before installing the addon.

Your explanation should be sticky, Dirk. :thumbsup:
Nah, don't give me any credit - just following procedures and having found out experimenting with all of the different PP filters, weather mods etc what looks and works best ;-)
Credit goes to the talented guys who have build these amazing mods !

Just thought to ask: I know it's only been 6 months, but for a non-computer guy like me the process is still pretty daunting. Will there ever be a simpler, just-install-one-app for night and weather?
Yes, currently it is a rather involving talks to do it as the shader patch is still heavily in development - every other week Ilja is exploding another bombshell though development - first it was just dynamic head lights, then it's propoer lights all around the track, then it is functions such as direction lights on cars, working wind screen wipers, then it's fully flexable tires, tire lockup spots, etc, then, ...
You can imagine it will still take a while until this is in a stable and finished state so a more easy installation procedure can be developed.
Currently it really is for die hards but let me tell you: IT IS WORTH THE TROUBLES ;-)

You definitely should get in touch with Peter Boese in the GBW mod support thread - he is super helpful with people having issues with the mod and as I understand only since very recent builds is the GBW mod fully supported for VR.

Hopefully the weather effects Ilja is working on will not be tied to CM, SP, non VR or require changing things like smoke settings & will work at wet grip levels. If anyone can pull it off it's that guy!

I personally don't think you need full CM to enjoy the shaders patch. I use PB clouds, shaders patch and natural pp for VR through JSGME and black night weather for MP and if I want to make a pretty video or take some screenshots I fire up CM and launch with time outside 8am-6pm and one of the nice GBW weathers like sunset misty.

It can be made to work without CM with very limited features.
It is though kind of like comparing to try to dress up a sex-doll with a nice cocktail dress, make up and a wig to spend an evening out in town rather than taking the wife you are happily married with for a few decades.

It kind of gives you a similar experience but both are VERY different things ;-)
Go get Content Manager you are just hurting yourself to miss out on it.

Very good install explanations by Dirk Steffen and Andy-R ! :thumbsup:

Using full Content Manager but installing mods with JSGME works for me perfectly .... as I know JSGME for many years now. This last one is very easy to use ... as even if you make a mistake ... you just unactivate what you just installed ... and may correct it while the game is still perfectly working as it was before installing the addon.
Check out:
Content Manager / CONTENT / MODS

You will find that since a few builds Content Manger fully supports JSGME installations and even fully replaces JSGME as it offers further expanded features ;-)
JSGME was yesterday - CM is the future.

Nah, don't give me any credit - just following procedures and having found out experimenting with all of the different PP filters, weather mods etc what looks and works best ;-)
Credit goes to the talented guys who have build these amazing mods !

Yes, currently it is a rather involving talks to do it as the shader patch is still heavily in development - every other week Ilja is exploding another bombshell though development - first it was just dynamic head lights, then it's propoer lights all around the track, then it is functions such as direction lights on cars, working wind screen wipers, then it's fully flexable tires, tire lockup spots, etc, then, ...
You can imagine it will still take a while until this is in a stable and finished state so a more easy installation procedure can be developed.
Currently it really is for die hards but let me tell you: IT IS WORTH THE TROUBLES ;-)

You definitely should get in touch with Peter Boese in the GBW mod support thread - he is super helpful with people having issues with the mod and as I understand only since very recent builds is the GBW mod fully supported for VR.

It can be made to work without CM with very limited features.
It is though kind of like comparing to try to dress up a sex-doll with a nice cocktail dress, make up and a wig to spend an evening out in town rather than taking the wife you are happily married with for a few decades.

It kind of gives you a similar experience but both are VERY different things ;-)
Go get Content Manager you are just hurting yourself to miss out on it.
I'm not sure what you mean about limited features? I have full CM and it is a wonderful tool but I don't like it as a launcher. The MP part is tricky to use and when I tried it it told me I didn't have the content for my own server, the search box is 1 or 2 characters wide and the scroll bar hard to locate and use. I use CM for many things and occasionally I use it as a launcher to make a video using GBW dynamic time weather but not often.

The only thing I can think of that you cannot do in the default launcher is GBW dynamic time outside 8am-6pm.

All aspects of the lights patch should work exactly the same in both launchers. It is just GBW that is sort of CM dependant AFAIK.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back