Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Yeah I tried last night with the Reverb and to be honest I couldn't see the better image at all. Which, if you select Performance, you'd expect. So nothing new there. However, I didn't really see a gain in performance and the image was also very good still, so I am unsure how this feature actually works. I am going to need to do some side by side testing with a very high supersample rate to see if the performance mode actually gives back some frame rate.

In ACC last night, it ran great, but at the top end of the GPU usage, which is how I have tuned it on full resolution mode. I would have expected less GPU usage for the 60hz that I had locked to.

By the way, the Reverb now allows me to run ACC at 60hz pretty much locked, avoiding any smoothing or ASW type effect, while achieving an image that is completely acceptable. Good looking, even. The McLaren dash is completely readable and that dash has plenty of small text elements.

I am so happy I ended up trying one. It's changed the game for me in ACC. Big grid last night, 26 odd cars online, everything was smooth as butter. The opponent cars moving at 60hz instead of smoothed makes a MASSIVE difference. This is where smoothing shows up the most noticeable to me.

• Deleted member 197115

Yeah I tried last night with the Reverb and to be honest I couldn't see the better image at all. Which, if you select Performance, you'd expect. So nothing new there. However, I didn't really see a gain in performance and the image was also very good still, so I am unsure how this feature actually works. I am going to need to do some side by side testing with a very high supersample rate to see if the performance mode actually gives back some frame rate.

In ACC last night, it ran great, but at the top end of the GPU usage, which is how I have tuned it on full resolution mode. I would have expected less GPU usage for the 60hz that I had locked to.

By the way, the Reverb now allows me to run ACC at 60hz pretty much locked, avoiding any smoothing or ASW type effect, while achieving an image that is completely acceptable. Good looking, even. The McLaren dash is completely readable and that dash has plenty of small text elements.

I am so happy I ended up trying one. It's changed the game for me in ACC. Big grid last night, 26 odd cars online, everything was smooth as butter. The opponent cars moving at 60hz instead of smoothed makes a MASSIVE difference. This is where smoothing shows up the most noticeable to me.
I saw performance dropping with Optimized.
Updated reddit thread with pictures posted by in ACC thread by @BlaKArg and performance results.
Dell Visor based on at least one report on CSP discord got affected too.
Wondering if it's only Reverb that is not.

Maybe not in it's prime now, but perhaps as good as it's ever been is what was meant? As for becoming primetime, I imagine we'll see a big percentage increase in uptake when VR/AR is a viable alternative to a screen for general Windows use because at the moment any VR purchase is a significant investment over and above the compulsory screen purchase that everyone requires for a PC to function anyway. That's always going to massively limit the audience to those like some of us, wanting one for specific tasks where VR excels and willing to pay for it compared to the majority who will use a screen for gaming because they need a screen anyway so gaming with it requires no further outlay. If you could buy a headset in future though that removes the need to have a monitor, one that untethers you from the machine using wireless transmission of the signal and one that's able to work in an augmented reality mode allowing you to stay in contact with the outside world as when working with a monitor then who knows how widespread their use could become.

I think it's the high buy in for low immediate reward.
There's only a handful of titles I would play full time: Beat Saber, Half Life Alyx and VR racing.
For that limited range of titles, $600 for just a headset is a tall order.
I think the Rift S was perfect (when you can get it for the price it actually MSRP's for). $350 with controllers and no light towers needed.
Everything else feels like a flash in the pan and sits in my Steam catalog. Another part of it is that it feels more like "tethered VR" because the Matrix baby cable in the back sometimes gets tangled when you move in circles and disorients you when you need to move it and breaks immersion.

For VR racing though it's the bee's knees. Although, I feel like it takes away from how much I can enjoy having a nice wheel. Part of the reason I haven't upgraded from my Fanatec CSW 2.5 is that I want to pick a single wheel that can serve a lot of different car types because I drive in VR and it's hard to remember where buttons are if I keep changing wheels. Plus spending $600 on an Ascher wheel just so it is hidden from me in VR is a challenge for my vanity.

I think it's the high buy in for low immediate reward.
There's only a handful of titles I would play full time: Beat Saber, Half Life Alyx and VR racing.
For that limited range of titles, $600 for just a headset is a tall order.
Can I ask how much you spent of your wheel, pedals and rig and what other than sim racing you use them for? ;)

In all seriousness though, I think it does depend on your circumstances. For me I was starting from scratch as I didn't have a gaming PC, so I literally bought the PC and the headset solely for playing AC, iRacing and Elite Dangerous. When I reviewed the price of three decent monitors and the hardware required to mount them appropriately, it was not far off the headset price anyway, so I just re-purposed an old monitor and took a punt that I could handle the downsides

I feel like it takes away from how much I can enjoy having a nice wheel.
Yeah, I totally get this one. I responded to someone on reddit who was asking if they should get a headset and I was about to say 'hell yeah' until I read that they were worried it would cause problems with the displays and bespoke button layouts of their 'labour of love' DIY rims at which point I was more like 'probably not....' :). I'm sure it's just confirmation bias, but I swear people seem to spend more time designing, building and tweaking their setup than racing!

Last edited:
I get all melancholy when I see the EA logo, but then I remember that the whole reason I stumped up for a PC to play in VR was because of playing the x-wing PSVR demo and grinning like a complete fool the whole time :)

I have one high end rim and a handful of others that are relatively high end as well. I have no issues not seeing them while using VR. After all, I look at every single high end rim on every car that I drive. Plus, when you race on screens, are you not watching the road in front of you? I have my layouts memorised and never would take eyes off the road to look at which dial to turn. Muscle memory is a pretty powerful thing. Try moving from a gear shifter on the right back to proper Aussie style of the left. Hated my life for a week.

Can I ask how much you spent of your wheel, pedals and rig and what other than sim racing you use them for? ;)

I only sim in VR. My thoughts are that VR makes the wheel MORE important not less because you can't see it. You should be able to VERY easily find every switch and knob by feel. Personally I don't the the point in having a pile of wheels, but that is just one opinion.

I had a Fanatec Porsche 918 wheel, but the buttons, shifters etc. are not that great and even worse in VR. I could never find anything on that wheel making it a pretty useless in VR in terms of buttons. The paddles on it were very meh. I upgraded them with magnets which improved them, but still not great. I'm not saying it's a bad wheel. In fact I liked it until I got my PSE wheel and that completely reset my idea of what a good wheel was.

I drive one of these PSE GT3 wheels that has EXCELLENT buttons and knobs with great tactile feel and different types of raised areas around the buttons making them very easy to find. The detail of the raised areas around the buttons is easier to see zooming into the image on the PSE site. Also the paddle shifters are excellent. I use this wheel for everything except Rally and can easily find any button whenever I want. The well feels fantastic and has great grip.

mousemount_4970.jpg

For Rally I use the opposite. The link below is to a $229 blank 330mm wheel with no controls. In Rally or while drifting I either row an H pattern or use a sequential shifter and I have a button box to my left with large oversized buttons making it easy to get to things.

Rally mode.
cockpitergo_4987.jpg

• Deleted member 197115

I only sim in VR. My thoughts are that VR makes the wheel MORE important not less because you can't see it. You should be able to VERY easily find every switch and knob by feel. Personally I don't the the point in having a pile of wheels, but that is just one opinion.

I had a Fanatec Porsche 918 wheel, but the buttons, shifters etc. are not that great and even worse in VR. I could never find anything on that wheel making it a pretty useless in VR in terms of buttons. The paddles on it were very meh. I upgraded them with magnets which improved them, but still not great. I'm not saying it's a bad wheel. In fact I liked it until I got my PSE wheel and that completely reset my idea of what a good wheel was.

I drive one of these PSE GT3 wheels that has EXCELLENT buttons and knobs with great tactile feel and different types of raised areas around the buttons making them very easy to find. The detail of the raised areas around the buttons is easier to see zooming into the image on the PSE site. Also the paddle shifters are excellent. I use this wheel for everything except Rally and can easily find any button whenever I want. The well feels fantastic and has great grip.

View attachment 382900
It's a very nice looking rim, how it the grip comparing to alcantara, do you need gloves on this, I have the same Sparco P-310 just with regular finish.

It's a very nice looking rim, how it the grip comparing to alcantara, do you need gloves on this, I have the same Sparco P-310 just with regular finish.

The grip and feel are great with and without gloves.

I got the Alcantara just because I had never had that type of rim before and I was curious.

I'll never get it again. I would get leather, but that CF look textured vinyl is the best cover I've felt to date.

My Porsche was leather, the McLaren GT was rubber. I didn't like the rubber. The leather was pretty good.

• Deleted member 197115

I actually prefer alcantara over leather for a higher torque driving sessions.
Have leather and alcantara version of Sportline Imola-3 300, and alcantara feels more "precise" and easier to hold a grip.
Leather for me is more for recreational, casual driving as you can skip gloves.

In all seriousness though, I think it does depend on your circumstances. For me I was starting from scratch as I didn't have a gaming PC, so I literally bought the PC and the headset solely for playing AC, iRacing and Elite Dangerous. When I reviewed the price of three decent monitors and the hardware required to mount them appropriately, it was not far off the headset price anyway, so I just re-purposed an old monitor and took a punt that I could handle the downsides

Yeah, I totally get this one. I responded to someone on reddit who was asking if they should get a headset and I was about to say 'hell yeah' until I read that they were worried it would cause problems with the displays and bespoke button layouts of their 'labour of love' DIY rims at which point I was more like 'probably not....' :). I'm sure it's just confirmation bias, but I swear people seem to spend more time designing, building and tweaking their setup than racing!
If you wanted to make that argument you should attack me for my iRacing purchase history. ;)

I get what you're saying, what I'll say is, for me VR adds up like this.
Advantages:
Immersion - It absolutely feels like you're in the car and my lap times are better because I'm better at knowing when my brake lines are starting.
Space - I have a 24" 144 Hz curved FreeSync for pancake gaming and if I added 2 of them I think my wife would leave me lol. VR is tucked away to the side of my rig, I just grab it and put it on, and I have unlimited FOV.

Disadvantages:
It's not consistent - Sometimes I have issues with tracking and nothing about my environment has changed. The tracking just starts going wacky on me and honestly, with iRacing's scheduled races, if you're racing in B license series or higher, you can have an entire day of racing ruined because your headset just starts acting like a douche 15 minutes before qualifying and by the time you get it worked out, your drive is already trashed.
Not all games look great - I tried all kinds of ACC settings and honestly it looks crappy. I have a good IPD for Rift S too (I think my IPD is like 62?) and literally everything else in VR looks amazing, but ACC just looks like dog crap. The cockpit looks great, the seats look great, but anything outside of the windshield? Vomit city. Thankfully I main iRacing and Project Cars 2 (for career mode, don't judge me, I like the menu music), but I really wanted to like ACC because I love driving GT3, and honestly it's just uncomfortable. I literally can't drive it.
You'll only use it for driving - I feel like racing is like the penultimate use for VR. It's just perfect because in a car you stay in place and the rig moves. The only possible other "better" or "just as good" simulation for Vr would be flight sims. But literally anything else and it's just freaking weird. You get to the edge of your boundaries and you have to spin around and teleport and you're like "where the hell was I looking?" Even in a super spacious room, you'll still have weird situations where you're constantly breaking immersion because your cord gets tangled or you hit the boundary and now you're trying to fight head crabs while also like, stepping over jump rope and stuff. No matter how I set up my environment, VR games in natural movement mode just suck. I hate it. I don't get VR movement sickness, actually I can handle VR pretty well. But the boundaries, cord tangling my legs, etc all just take me out of immersion.

I'm seriously considering selling my Rift S while the prices are ridiculous and using the money plus selling my Fanatec gear to buy a Simucube 2.

If you wanted to make that argument you should attack me for my iRacing purchase history. ;)
Ha! I have only been sim racing on PC for a few months and I quickly learnt to avoid that dumpster fire of a topic! People are understandably very passionate about their sim(s) of choice, but a few seem a little too passionate. I always like to play the numbers game when I am evaluating a new hobby and whilst I appreciate iRacing is expensive, it actually totalled up cheaper than a season of R/C racing when the youngest and I used to do it several years ago so I decided to give it a go at least, and that includes buying the PC and headset btw

Sometimes I have issues with tracking and nothing about my environment has changed.
I had some issues with this to begin with. After playing around with the lighting it has improved massively, but I still get odd issues when there is daylight coming in my cave. I find it happens infrequently enough to be more than tolerable for me, but I have read a lot of posts about people really struggling with it and can see how it could be a deal breaker if you cannot resolve it

You'll only use it for driving - I feel like racing is like the penultimate use for VR
It's the reason I bought the VR, but I'm having a right blast in Elite Dangerous too and I'll probably get some other flight sim style games to try out once I have a better GPU. There are also some titles that have been designed for VR that I found to be pretty cool, the VR version of Super Hot springs to mind. It's not something I would use for my RPG titles though, I especially cannot tolerate anything where you walk/run around, but I usually play that stuff on the PS4 whilst lounging on the couch anyway

[QUOTE = "TedBrosby-, viesti: 3207305, jäsen: 1239838"]
Jos halusit väittää, sinun pitäisi hyökätä minuun iRacing-ostohistoriani vuoksi. ;)

Saan mitä sanot, mitä minä sanon, minulle VR lisää niin.
Edut :
Upotus - tuntuu ehdottomasti olevan autossa ja kierrosaikani ovat parempia, koska tiedän paremmin milloin jarruputkeni alkavat.
Tila - Minulla on 24 "144 Hz: n kaareva FreeSync pannukakkupelaamista varten ja jos lisäisin niistä kaksi, luulen, että vaimoni jättäisi minut lol. VR on työntynyt pois takilani sivulle, tartun siihen vain ja panen sen päälle, ja minulla on rajoittamaton FOV.

Haitat :
Se ei ole johdonmukaista - joskus minulla on ongelmia seurannan kanssa, eikä mikään ympäristöstäni ole muuttunut. Seuranta alkaa vain mennä hassu minua kohti ja rehellisesti, iRacingin ajoitettujen kilpailujen kanssa, jos kilpailet vähintään B-sarjan lisenssisarjoissa, voit pilata koko kilpailupäivän, koska kuulokkeet alkavat vain toimia kuin duchu 15 minuuttia ennen karsintaa ja siihen mennessä, kun saat sen kunnossa, asema on jo roskakorissa.
Kaikki pelit eivät näytä hyvältä - olen kokeillut kaikenlaisia ACC-asetuksia ja rehellisesti se näyttää surkealta. Minulla on hyvä IPD myös Rift S: lle (mielestäni IPD on kuin 62?) Ja kirjaimellisesti kaikki muu VR näyttää hämmästyttävältä, mutta ACC näyttää vain koiran paskalta. Ohjaamo näyttää hyvältä, istuimet näyttävät hyvältä, mutta onko jotain tuulilasin ulkopuolella? Oksennuskaupunki. Onneksi olen pääasiallinen iRacing ja Project Cars 2 (ura-tilassa, älä tuomitse minua, pidän valikkomusiikista), mutta halusin todella pitää ACC: stä, koska rakastan GT3: n ajamista, ja rehellisesti se on vain epämiellyttävää. En kirjaimellisesti voi ajaa sitä.
Käytät sitä vain ajoon- Minusta kilpa-ajo on kuin VR: n viimeinen käyttö. Se on aivan täydellinen, koska autossa pysyt paikallaan ja takila liikkuu. Ainoa mahdollinen muu "parempi" tai "yhtä hyvä" simulointi Vr: lle olisi lentosimmit. Mutta kirjaimellisesti mitä tahansa muuta ja se on vain outoa outoa. Pääset rajojesi reunaan ja sinun on pyöritettävä ympäri ja teleportoitava ja olet kuin "mihin helvettiin katsoin?" Jopa erittäin tilavassa huoneessa, sinulla on silti omituisia tilanteita, joissa rikot jatkuvasti upotusta, koska johto takertuu tai osut rajalle ja yrität nyt taistella päärapujen kanssa samalla kun pidätkin, astuessasi hyppyköyden yli ja kamaa. Riippumatta siitä, kuinka määritän ympäristöni, VR-pelit luonnollisessa liikkeessä vain imevät. Vihaan sitä. Minulla ei ole VR-liikkumissairautta, itse asiassa pystyn käsittelemään VR melko hyvin. Mutta rajat, jalan takertuminen jalkoihini jne. Vie kaikki minut upottamiseen.

Harkin vakavasti Rift S: n myymistä, vaikka hinnat ovat naurettavia. Käytän rahaa plus myyn Fanatec-varusteini Simucube 2: n ostamiseen.
[/LAINATA]

ACC no more problems no more problems using vr
over there settings.

I hadn't heard about the random tracking issues with the Oculus Rift S before. I would occasionally get an issue with my Rift CV1 and would re-calibrate it and was then fine for weeks at a time.

With the Valve Index, I configured my system ONCE last summer when I got it and the tracking has been absolutely flawless since then.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.