Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
For me, I find iRacing to be less demanding; even with large grids it stays at a steady 90fps. My setup can struggle with really big grids at certain tracks in AC, but it's usually fine once the pack spreads out a little

I haven't used AC in the last year, but iRacing runs a smooth 120 fps for me on almost everything with the settings up very high using i9-9900K + 2080Ti and Valve Index.

If you've got a recent nVidia card, iRacing has the big advantage of using SPS (Single Pass Stereo) which can gain you 30+% of performance as the card basically only has to fully render the geometry for one eye and it then adjusts and reuses that for the other eye's display, massively reducing the demand on the GPU. Would be nice if more games developers started supporting it.

Last edited:
I had a play on a friends iracing account the other night for an hour or so. The VR experience there is pretty much perfect. Very clean and crisp visuals with most settings at max running 90fps locked on my pimax 5k+

Which game is the most demanding on your pc to run AC or i racing?

Definitely AC. AC has a lot of post processing effects and honestly, better graphics than iRacing. It's about 4 years newer than iRacing. ACC is even more demanding.
But iRacing looks better in VR. I think VR is better served simple. Simple post processing, simple standard 3D graphics and lighting. Real life doesn't have those weird action movie blur effects and "speed streams" or whatever.

• Deleted member 197115

Definitely AC. AC has a lot of post processing effects and honestly, better graphics than iRacing. It's about 4 years newer than iRacing. ACC is even more demanding.
But iRacing looks better in VR. I think VR is better served simple. Simple post processing, simple standard 3D graphics and lighting. Real life doesn't have those weird action movie blur effects and "speed streams" or whatever.
Guess another soul got lost in AC/CSP/SOL graphics settings if you have movie blur and bad performance.
You can have it simple and PP effect free or an eye candy depending what your system can handle and personal taste.
It is the best looking and performing for the look VR sim at the moment.
ACC on the other hand is a very sorry experience.

• Deleted member 197115

I think we had related poll recently

Guess another soul got lost in AC/CSP/SOL graphics settings if you have movie blur and bad performance.
You can have it simple and PP effect free or an eye candy depending what your system can handle and personal taste.
It is the best looking and performing for the look VR sim at the moment.
ACC on the other hand is a very sorry experience.

This might be true, maybe AC looks better if I tweak settings. But I can't help but feel like iRacing is better plug and play. I'm not even using any custom settings with iRacing (except the same super sampling I do for every VR driving game) and it just looks and runs great.

For which is better on PC resources though, I feel iRacing takes the cake. I run 90 Hz locked on my Rift S in iRacing on my 5700 XT. With AC if there's a lot of cars on the grid I can experience stuttering.
Wish I didn't need Mac OS so I could upgrade to an RTX card.

Well last night i decided to go ahead and try iRacing after finding out you could get 3 months for like $16, My first impressions after only a couple of hours is that It runs so much better than AC on my computer, iv'e only played with 20 Ai car's so far but it runs flawlessly at 80hz with my current settings which look great. Going to try and bump up the settings further when i get back on, although i could happily live with the current settings.

Its definitely more plug and play when it comes to the graphical settings than ac, It doesn't look as visually polished especially the tracks and environment although iv'e only played a few of the base tracks that come with it. Iv'e also not even tried the highest settings yet so that's a bit of an ignorant statement at this point.

The car's look fantastic on track though and that's the part i want to look the best. To me it feels like the depth perception is better than AC, i can really feel how close i am to other car's when i am beside them etc, i'm not sure if its placebo or not but its something i noticed right away that gave me a wow that's pretty amazing feeling, i never felt that in AC. I also feel like it plays better overall again could be placebo but i feel like i get more and better feedback through the wheel etc and i'm only using the stock ffb settings with the gain turned up a little.

I am however finding the layout and all the game settings a little confusing right now, i think its going to take a while to get familiar with everything. I am also scared to play online lol, I need to learn about how the rating system all works etc, and then setting up the car's etc not even sure if that's something i can grasp i just enjoy the driving, it all seems like a lot to take in at the moment tbh,

I am however finding the layout and all the game settings a little confusing right now, i think its going to take a while to get familiar with everything. I am also scared to play online lol, I need to learn about how the rating system all works etc, and then setting up the car's etc not even sure if that's something i can grasp i just enjoy the driving, it all seems like a lot to take in at the moment tbh,

The good news is that you can use their AI racing with the MX-5 and it works exactly like the real races do. You have some practice time, then quality and then race. In rookies online you just need to race safely. So just hang back and let people wreck. After a few races or time trials if you can get your safety rating above 3.0 you will instantly be Class D.

iRacing has excellent AI racing. I don't use it much, but it is very powerful and you can adjust it quite a bit. However even with AI racing you have to buy the tracks or cars that you don't have.

For iRacing there are a number of great 3rd party apps.

You will want TradingPaints so you can pick liveries.
You definitely want Crew Chief if you don't already have it.
I'll stop there so I don't overwhelm you.

You can keep racing with the cars they give you, but you will end up wanting more tracks and cars. Typically the thing to do is buy the one car used in the Class D fixed series. Currently that is an M8. Then you have to buy the tracks and that is when this starts costing money. Sorry, but that is the reality.

For AI racing the Porsche Cup car is very good. For online racing you can't use that car until you have a Class C license. I believe Formula One requires a Class B ?

iRacing in action looks great in VR and the online racing is the best out there. No software is perfect, but it is as close to a real racing experience as you can get right now. That does not mean it has the best force feedback or best tire model according to many, and it can cost a bit but overall as an online racing platform it is the best.

Last edited:
It all depends on the car.

And here is a racing coach who is teaching people in an MX-5 IRL who has said that the iRacing MX-5 feels the same as real life.

In this video he says that it greatly depends on individual cars in each sim.

Go to 6:30 in this video.

• Deleted member 197115

Yeah, that's the discussion for another thread. They all have their pluses and minuses.

Back to recommended VR racing titles.
I would personally rate R3E close second best to AC but I know lots of people having problem running it, for some reason it works wonderfully for me, perhaps because of i9-9900K, not sure.
Good content and overall very polished title that feels complete, FFB after tweaks is not bad either,
And DR2, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neil doesn't comment on what you should do if you love iRacing, but seriously the VR is done very well in iRacing.

It is pretty obvious that this site (Race Department) is VERY AC centric. There is a huge AC modding community here and all polls have AC near the top. iRacing doesn't even have a place under Racing Games and has to be found under a subsection "Other Games" and there is very little traffic there so I'm not saying it needs to be more prominent. This site caters to its audience and iRacing has their own forums for people to talk about iRacing so it would be redundant.

My only point is that the polls here will tend to kick AC up a few notches and iRacing down a few notches just because of the breakdown of the people on this site and because there are a number of hard core iRacing trolls on this site who look for every opportunity to throw a tantrum.

I have no issues with AC or any of the others. I own a number of titles collecting dust and AC is one of them. For me there is no thrill racing against AI's but that is a very personal thing and this is something we do for fun, so you have to find what works the best for you. The online racing element can be amazing but other drivers can also piss you off just like real life!

I won't belabor this point anymore. VR on!

• Deleted member 197115

Neil doesn't comment on what you should do if you love iRacing, but seriously the VR is done very well in iRacing.

It is pretty obvious that this site (Race Department) is VERY AC centric. There is a huge AC modding community here and all polls have AC near the top. iRacing doesn't even have a place under Racing Games and has to be found under a subsection "Other Games" and there is very little traffic there so I'm not saying it needs to be more prominent. This site caters to its audience and iRacing has their own forums for people to talk about iRacing so it would be redundant.

My only point is that the polls here will tend to kick AC up a few notches and iRacing down a few notches just because of the breakdown of the people on this site and because there are a number of hard core iRacing trolls on this site who look for every opportunity to throw a tantrum.

I have no issues with AC or any of the others. I own a number of titles collecting dust and AC is one of them. For me there is no thrill racing against AI's but that is a very personal thing and this is something we do for fun, so you have to find what works the best for you. The online racing element can be amazing but other drivers can also piss you off just like real life!

I won't belabor this point anymore. VR on!
I think this forum attracts racers of all sims and overall is more balanced than if you go to iRacing or Assetto specific forum.
Accurate or not it reflects what people of this community think.

Accurate or not it reflects what people of this community think.

There are cars in iRacing that give you a great sense of when they are about to let go or that can slide and be easily recovered. The MX-5, the Porsche Cup car and the M8 GTE are among them. The MX-5 likes to slide, but is extremely controllable at least in my experience.

Something that came up in another thread was that your rig may have a bigger impact on how you feel about iRacing. I've noticed that a lot of people with motion systems like iRacing better than other sims and iRacing has excellent motion telemetry. If you are missing that information and relying completely on FFB from the wheel, you are not getting as much of the picture. I started with iRacing only after I had my NLRv3 and despite it being a seat mover, the queues it gives me paints a great picture. I can feel the weight transfer between the tires and other things.

I know that the two of us have been in threads where we specifically said that people like FFB that fills in detail that you don't get in your rig and that the FFB in the wheel isn't necessarily more accurate, but we like it better. I'm saying that I feel like I'm getting all the queues I need when you add motion in. Everything works in harmony together and the car feels much more alive.

But as you said this is off topic. I'm not arguing which is the best. We just have different priorities and that's all good.

Liking yesterdays Mixed Reality Update so far

Changelog:

Introducing Settings
A common source of feedback we've received is that modifying the settings exposed by the Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR plugin is painful, involving modifying vrsettings files that might get overwritten by later releases. With this release we're introducing a new visual experience for changing settings that impact our plugin.

To try it out, launch SteamVR while using your Windows Mixed Reality headset and pull up the SteamVR dashboard either by clicking the thumbstick on your controller or by clicking the Steam icon in the Windows Mixed Reality mini-menu.

From there, you'll notice the familiar Windows Mixed Reality logo in the SteamVR dashboard. Click it with your controller to pull up the settings experience where you can now modify settings. No more clunky text files!

That's good news Micha,

It looks like i might be heading back into windows mixed reality again, since i pre-ordered a HP Reverb G2 this afternoon.

I gonna give HP another try, since from what i have read all my main issues are solved by the makers of my current favorite headset Valve.

On paper this seams like a match made in heaven.

We will know for sure in september....

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 287 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years