Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
  • Deleted member 197115

Half-Life Alyx is on sale, comes to $39.99 after summer sale and $5 off $30+ purchase discount.

• Deleted member 197115

Ships at the same time worldwide. Not sure what early preorder buys you, it's handled by some 3rd party e-commerce site. HP will have preorders on its own site 1 month before release.

Hey all, so it turns out EMI renders my Valve Index useless when used with my SFX-100 (shocking, I know). I know I can go through the process of shielding the power cables, but I was wondering if you all thought it was worth the effort, or should I just go a different route for strictly sim-racing (HP Reverb Pro or upcoming G2). I know the Reverb Pro has inside out tracking, which means EMI is a non-issue, but do we know if the G2 offers the same option? Sorry for such dumb questions, but I'm at a crossroads since I can sell the Index for a profit, and wait if that's the best option. Also, I know motion compensation/cancellation can be setup with the Index via third-party software, but can the same be done with the HP solutions?

Hey all, so it turns out EMI renders my Valve Index useless when used with my SFX-100 (shocking, I know). I know I can go through the process of shielding the power cables, but I was wondering if you all thought it was worth the effort, or should I just go a different route for strictly sim-racing (HP Reverb Pro or upcoming G2). I know the Reverb Pro has inside out tracking, which means EMI is a non-issue, but do we know if the G2 offers the same option? Sorry for such dumb questions, but I'm at a crossroads since I can sell the Index for a profit, and wait if that's the best option. Also, I know motion compensation/cancellation can be setup with the Index via third-party software, but can the same be done with the HP solutions?

The G2 also has inside out tracking.

The Vive tracker so far has proven to be the best motion compensation cancellation solution.

I suspect many people don't bother with it if they only have a 4 post solution. Traction loss and surge could be more of an issue.

@HoiHman has an SFX-100 and has tried the original Reverb and currently uses the Index. He also had issues with EMI and his headset going black. I don't believe he is using any VR motion compensation, but maybe he could speak to that.

I make my living with the MS technology stack and what MS does next has shown no rhyme or reason. I've watched them abandon technologies left and right and then stick with some much longer than they should have. Witness the MS smart phone. They completely jumped ship with it abandoning previous development SDK's on two occasions requiring dev's start over from scratch before they dropped it completely. It's last iteration wasn't even bad, but they had burned developers too many times and it had no apps. I was bitten personally after investing time in Silverlight which they unceremoniously abandoned even though it worked well and was gaining momentum. In that case they had a winner, but because of internal politics the Windows operating system group didn't want this technology which worked with other browsers and other operating systems to succeed.

However betting on WMR long term doesn't matter too much given the life span of VR headsets. Enjoy them if they are a good fit and then get something else if you need to later.

90% of the time you are not using that big movements with the SFX100, so for me personally motion cancellation is not worth the effort and add unwanted complexity to the setup.

Lots and lots of big ferite cores is the answer to your problem, combine with proper grounding of your PC and SFX100 power supply and rig. You can also ground the USB from theI Index to the rig to disable the ground loop that is causing the grey screens.

Is it worth all the worth the effort : YES.

Since i have paid for the HP Reverb G2 pre-order, i am having second thoughts about my purchase.

VR in the Valve index is that good :D

It's at a point i could drive like this for years to come, current limitation of of the visual quality is NOT the resolution of the Valve Index but the power of my I9 9700K and the 2080Ti ( which are both overclocked)

I have to admit that i'm a bit concerned how thing will run with the higher res of the G2, but maybe around september the 3080ti will be out to help me on that aspect.

The ease of set-up of native steam vr and not having to bother with WMR is also a very big plus.

As mentioned by a lot reviewers, there's a lot more to a good HMD than only the resolution.

Still standing is, is going backwards. So i still believe my bet on the G2 is pretty save since the first signs (vavle ergonomics and valve lenses + new high res displays) are very positive.

Ships at the same time worldwide. Not sure what early preorder buys you, it's handled by some 3rd party e-commerce site. HP will have preorders on its own site 1 month before release.

Like always, first pre-orders get the product probably first. I ordered mine from a official HP reseller who also handled my first HP reverb G1 purchase and the RMA procedure.

This all went very smooth and that why i favor ordering with them over HP.

Still it's very possible that someone in the USA for example still get this order before i get mine. They probably will be limited quantities for every region. I've seen delays in the past from HP and now with Covid19 delays are unavoidable.

As mentioned by a lot reviewers, there's a lot more to a good HMD than only the resolution.

VR Headsets are something that you have to live with on your face for extended periods. The ease of entry/exit, ease of placing the headset perfectly centered on your head, comfort, and having a large in focus area, with very little SDE helps the experience a lot!

I think the G2 looks very good, and I suspect it will work very well for many people. It terms of clarity resolution and ergonomics it should be very good.

However I'm waiting for something more like the Pimax 8K in terms of having more resolution, but also a larger FOV. I think I would have trouble having a smaller FOV than I've gotten used to, but I would also like to keep running 120 fps across the board. So looks like I'm going to keep waiting for a little while.

My hope is that 2021 will be the year that the next "perfect compromise" headset is released or at least announced with more resolution, and more FOV at a high frame rate keeping top flight ergonomics.

The cool thing is that ergonomics are not something that has to be completely re-engineered each time. Once they all get comfort, that check box should be ticked from that point on.

• Deleted member 197115

Like always, first pre-orders get the product probably first. I ordered mine from a official HP reseller who also handled my first HP reverb G1 purchase and the RMA procedure.
Another reason not to jump on a first batch ship.
Still curios on the whole WMR thing, seems like they keep throwing in improvements and new features but on hardware side it's only HP.
And these 4 cameras tracking, is that new WMR official spec, I didn't see anything announced from MS?

Another reason not to jump on a first batch ship.
Still curios on the whole WMR thing, seems like they keep throwing in improvements and new features but on hardware side it's only HP.
And these 4 cameras tracking, is that new WMR official spec, I didn't see anything announced from MS?

Yes it's always best to wait with new hardware, but i'm pretty confident that HP won't make the same mistake as they did with G1 launch :whistling:

I'm also very curious about the tracking ( with the SFX100)

I saw that and the X11 and DCS G2 through the lens videos.

The G2 absolutely looks like it is living up to the hype! It should be a great Sim headset and a pretty huge jump in ergonomics as well as image quality from the original Reverb.

HP has a winner! If they can launch it without any major hiccups, they should be golden.

• Deleted member 197115

How high are the chances of other manufacturers releasing updated HMDs around fall/holidays timeframe?
I knew Samsung had some patent filed a while back, but they never officially announce anything in advance.
Anything else on the horizon?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back