Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
  • Deleted member 197115

Sorry I hadn't noticed your comment about this. This time I noticed.

It is nice that they are offering them to Gen 1 people. I know I've mentioned how clunky I thought the gen 1 hand controllers felt in use. These do look a lot more comfortable.

One thing I'm curious about. I thought the HP people mentioned that they didn't need to have lights on the hand controllers anymore, which I assumed would help battery life. But that seemed like something that would be a factor of the headset. Hopefully the Gen 1 headsets will still see them well.
The controllers clearly have light diodes on that ring and they probably meant you need to have LESS light as there are extra cameras, not sure though what effect on light amount it could have, may be for head tracking.

Word of caution, the current US preorders are handled by 3rd party e-commerce web site, and not the best one, as they messed up prices, trying to upsell warranty that is already included and already charging credit cards for the product that will be shipping in the fall. Guess cancelling that preorder would be problem too as you can do it only via email or calling them.
HP rep stated that HP own web site will be accepting preorders one month before shipping, so if nothing else pops up before that I'd rather wait for that option instead or Steam or MS Store when they start listing it.

Surprised MS did not make any official statements on that v2 WMR changes yet.

Of course if you can be patient, wait for a product to land, be reviewed and the first batch QC issues sorted, you will be better off. I would now say this applies to video cards as well given the 20 series launch.

Of course if you can be patient, wait for a product to land, be reviewed and the first batch QC issues sorted, you will be better off. I would now say this applies to video cards as well given the 20 series launch.

Agree, I generally try to wait at least 6 months before buying in on any tech product. That's generally enough time for the gremlins to be either sorted out, or confirmed as terminal.

• Deleted member 197115

Agree, I generally try to wait at least 6 months before buying in on any tech product. That's generally enough time for the gremlins to be either sorted out, or confirmed as terminal.
Not to mention this is HP we are talking about. And Reverb G1 v1 issues were legendary.
Wouldn't hesitate a second if it was Samsung, but they don't do 6 months preorders either.

This is the headset I've been hoping for.

Some more details include a thinner single barrel cable than the g1, still detachable. Half resolution and 60hz modes. Hopefully they're not linked and you can have full res at 60hz...did they ever fix that in wmr? If they can get a decent FOV out of it, it really will be a simracers dream.

Also, how's the availability on the Index at the moment? I have mine going in for RMA and with recent revelations regarding the Reverb, I think it's a free agent the second I get it back. I wonder if the supply is still short if I will come out even or maybe even a little ahead compared to what the initial cost was.

I am pretty sure the $600 for the G2 is for headset only.

Hmm, glad to be wrong then. Never a bad thing to get more for your money. I could've sworn the MRTV interview stated that it was HMD only. That's an even better deal than I anticipated. Looks like it has an additional power supply which the G1 does not.

• Deleted member 197115

This is the headset I've been hoping for.

Some more details include a thinner single barrel cable than the g1, still detachable. Half resolution and 60hz modes. Hopefully they're not linked and you can have full res at 60hz...did they ever fix that in wmr? If they can get a decent FOV out of it, it really will be a simracers dream.
It's in Windows May update already.

• Deleted member 197115

Hmm, glad to be wrong then. Never a bad thing to get more for your money. I could've sworn the MRTV interview stated that it was HMD only. That's an even better deal than I anticipated. Looks like it has an additional power supply which the G1 does not.
They confused many by saying controlers will be sold separately, for other WMR headsets as they are compatible.

Wow! 6G and less than 3ms latency for wireless VR use. Very cool!

1591494581285.png

Seeing some good stuff.

It appears that open source VR motion compensation with a Vive Tracker is working well.

It is starting to appear that the 30 series will be a powerhouse. Because of large increases in clock speed it is starting to look like we may see a 50-60% increase in performance albeit with a larger power draw now estimated at closer to 300W.

Also appears that NVidia has decided to come out with a different number rather than Ti suffix. So there will be a 3090 rather than 3080Ti.

Whats the current situation for WMR? Last year the best picture quality was with win10 1903 and a specific SteamVR version. Updates screwed things up. Is it still the case?

Seeing some good stuff.

It appears that open source VR motion compensation with a Vive Tracker is working well.

It is starting to appear that the 30 series will be a powerhouse. Because of large increases in clock speed it is starting to look like we may see a 50-60% increase in performance albeit with a larger power draw now estimated at closer to 300W.

Also appears that NVidia has decided to come out with a different number rather than Ti suffix. So there will be a 3090 rather than 3080Ti.

While it's easy for me to say I'll get one as soon as available, I think I'm going to sit this out for a few months after release and wait for true real world results and obviously wait it out for the initial driver bug fixes.

I'm also interested in terms of what non OEM vendors will do in terms of base overclocks later in the day.

• Deleted member 197115

This could be a good news, WMR has been supporting it for a while already.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 32 19.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 30 18.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 11 6.8%