AC GT3 @ Barbagallo - Sunday 13th December 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
I have to say though that since upgrading to my CSW 2.5, I can work out what the car is doing far better than I ever could with my G29. I can feel the car breaking away from me or going into understeer, and as a result I feel much more in control and able to deal with any mishaps than I ever did with my G29. I completely agree that equipment is not a magic bullet, but I do think the right equipment for you as a racer helps you to read what the car is doing and work out how to deal with it.

Oh, for sure. The DFGT also doesn't communicate that, but there are ways around it: I learned to use my eyes to detect under/oversteer instead of the force feedback. Now that actually comes in doubly useful, because with the T300 I can both tell with just my eyes and no FFB, and have the FFB as a bonus :)

Great posts everyone! Likewise, thank you Chris and everyone here for making this a great time after not sim racing for 15 years. Slowly built up a desk rig during my new work from home lifestyle. I chose AC to start and found the RD race club. I feel fortunate to have joined in with a great group. Appreciate the patience as I try to get better. See you all soon:)

For me an important factor in getting better, was to participate not only in the Sunday GT3 races. Those Monday and Wednesday events with different (sometimes crazy) cars is what helps you to develop a broader understanding of racing. Especially events with slower cars withouth ABS and TC. To be honest, I didn't like the GT3 events in the beginning. Got lapped for couple of races and got a bit demoralized as well. (But I do miss the multiclass events. Never got the chance to race an LMP car)

I could not race the last few weeks online but got myself Dirt 2.0 and did some rallying. Came back to this GT3 event on a new track without practice (I've choosen the Lambo initially... :D) and could, to my surprise, manage a podium.

TL;DR: race! everywhere, everthing :D

Last edited:
For me an important factor in getting better, was to participate not only in the Sunday GT3 races. Those Monday and Wednesday events with different (sometimes crazy) cars is what helps you to develop a broader understanding of racing. Especially events with slower cars withouth ABS and TC. To be honest, I didn't like the GT3 events in the beginning. Got lapped for couple of races and got a bit demoralized as well. (But I do miss the multiclass events. Never got the chance to race an LMP car)

I could not race the last few weeks online but got myself Dirt 2.0 and did some rallying. Came back to this GT3 event on a new track without practice (I've choosen the Lambo initially... :D) and could, to my surprise, manage a podium.

The Wednesday races are great for that. Bummer I’m working then. Mid day for my time zone. Have to ask my boss for 2 hour lunch on Wednesday’s. That won’t work :(

I’ve done quite a bit of testing with ABS, there, as far as I have found no advantage running ABS setting off or hardly on, I usually, in GT3, run it at about 5, 6 or 7, some cars like the Lamborghini will punish you for running at 5 or 6, it requires 3 , 4 on some circuits.
TC, there is certainly time to be gained by running that low, but I never do, i lack finesse, so I accept the loss, in exchange for stability.
Just my opinion. :)

Mark which setting do you use?
Hi Han. I use factory TC setting and no stability control. But, in game using setup, I increase the values. Depends on the car. For 911 at this track I think I used 6 TC and 8 ABS. Higher values equals less intervention right? Wing 14 deg with splitter. Could have tried less wing. Still learning. I’ve only spent time in Z4, 911 and new to 650s.

I’ve done quite a bit of testing with ABS, there, as far as I have found no advantage running ABS setting off or hardly on, I usually, in GT3, run it at about 5, 6 or 7, some cars like the Lamborghini will punish you for running at 5 or 6, it requires 3 , 4 on some circuits.
TC, there is certainly time to be gained by running that low, but I never do, i lack finesse, so I accept the loss, in exchange for stability.
Just my opinion. :)
For some reason it feels like I can late break more or better with less ABS. I agree with your assessment. Something Chris said in a post that certainly pertains to me. To the effect, apply more steering input and use more of the track. I tend to over finesse it, I think, or play it too safe.

+110 this. If you can get into gt2 and Group C races in particular, they will force you to become more at one with the sim rig! They will stand to you no end when the going gets tough in GT3. You could make a long list of the benefits, exposure to more tracks etc..

Here's my onboard from the race, some great battle especially for the LAST 20 MINUTES vs bruno! Brought the bug right back for me after being out for so long. Says alot for RD club races when you can race against much faster drivers lap after lap and not get punted into the sand pits! Excuse the warpy internet on the first lap!

Last edited:
Diff cars prefer different levels of TC and ABS so best to spend a little time and examining behavior (laptime) into and out of slow corners where intervention and impact is most apparent. Generally speaking adjusting your driving to the car will result in more speed than making the car do what you like. Power diff goes hand in hand with TC so you need to find a balance that works.

As for setups: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gt3-car-pack-mugello.137709/

The ones in here are still a very good start point. Get the laps in and prep for a race. If you're inexperienced and just "show up" to the race after race without prep work, it'll be tough to improve. You're mentally taking on too much and have a reduced capacity to concentrate on the driving.

Last edited:
+110 this. If you can get into gt2 and Group C races in particular, they will force you to become more at one with the sim rig! They will stand to you no end when the going gets tough in GT3. You could make a long list of the benefits, exposure to more tracks etc..

Here's my onboard from the race, some great battle especially for the LAST 20 MINUTES vs bruno! Brought the bug right back for me after being out for so long. Says alot for RD club races when you can race against much faster drivers lap after lap and not get punted into the sand pits! Excuse the warpy internet on the first lap!

Good to watch this and see my lines following you. Not sure I hit a single apex :D

Did some tests once with GT3, 650S, from max speed to 50mph,
( decided that would be about min speed for most circuits )
You don't want ABS "off"; Between 7 and 2 made no real difference. 1 is too restrictive.
So if it is a flat circuit and you are heavily trail braking, then 2 to 7 is a good place. ( higher the better, but it really does not matter ), If the circuit has lots of steep climbs and undulations then 2 to 4 is best, you should see no improvement with ABS set anywhere between 2 - 7
The only times High ABS settings affect you is below 50mph, then lower values 1, 2, or 3, will cause extended sub 50mph braking distances.
just my opinion, willing to change with better information.

I do not worry about ABS settings too much, only if it causes me problems,
the Lamborghini being a good example. :)

PS,
As Robert hinted at, the skill level of the driver is an important factor, I have just posted from a mid fielder point of view.

Last edited:
Hape, this was the last race of the year as Chris stated in the first post:
What's that? It's the last race of the year! With the two week break for Christmas and the New Year, let's do something fast and frantic -- it's Barbagallo Raceway near Perth, Australia. A short track that's definitely easy to learn, but hard to master

Hape, this was the last race of the year as Chris stated in the first post:
What's that? It's the last race of the year! With the two week break for Christmas and the New Year, let's do something fast and frantic -- it's Barbagallo Raceway near Perth, Australia. A short track that's definitely easy to learn, but hard to master
hi Han
oh thx i'm so old that i can't remeber what i read a week ago. But that explains everything to me :)
hape

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back