AC GT3 @ Barbagallo - Sunday 13th December 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Thanks for all the positive comments, and yes it is refreshing. I managed to get myself banned from RD races for a month when I first signed up a couple of months ago, but I thought it would give it another go. I did leave one league (noobgamerz) because of the flaming I got after a particular race, so it is so nice to have so many of you trying to help.

I feel a lot more in control with the csw 2.5 - I think working on consistency is the key as Chris says. Although I will take the suggestion to be less smooth to drive like captain caveman (now there is a good cartoon...).

I might do a few are races too. I've signed up for a fair few sgp races in ACC this week - my thinking is the more I can do, the more I can practice.

We have all been there. I remember building up my rig, attaching all the equipment and sitting into it and spinning over and over, I was devestated and thought I had made a big mistake. Bit after a few days I was in love with it.
There is a lot to get used to and the biggest thing for me was to get used to driving the car and being in traffic. If you can get used to close racing and feeling confident that you can react in time to braking cars and have good awareness of where other cars are then you will have an awesome time. Getting a podium while doing 30 laps and having the track all to yourself is nowhere near as much fun as placing say top 10 or higher but having just spent an hour close racing.
I still spin more than I would like myself but have learned one thing. The more you put in the more you get out. The races where I put some practice in during the week and actually had a setup ready to go on race day is where I did best. Also races where I relaxed and didn't put myself under too much pressure.

@Chris Down how much practice would you typically do for:
1. A track you know very well.
2. A track you are seeing for the first time like many of us last night

Last edited:
@Chris Down how much practice would you typically do for:
1. A track you know very well.
2. A track you are seeing for the first time like many of us last night

Good question!
  1. A track you know very well: probably 45 minutes to an hour prior to qualifying. Maybe 1h30 if I don't know the car well.
  2. A track you're seeing for the first time: 1h30 minimum, more is better.
As an example, yesterday I practiced GT3 for the first time on this track from 7:10pm, qualifying at 8:20pm, race at 8:40pm. I used my setup from Bahrain, didn't spend any time tuning it since I was time limited, I think I only adjusted the gear ratios since it's a lot shorter.

As for the track, I vaguely remember the track from a couple of years ago when we raced here once in the JDM cars, but knew it was simple, so it shouldn't take too long to learn. For a longer/more complex track (like Croft, for example), I'd have almost certainly taken the 2 hours.

As for equipment: I raced with a cheap DFGT until last year, and then switched to a T300 just because the FFB was starting to wear out. Personally I don't feel equipment makes that much difference, you can gain >10% by becoming more comfortable with your equipment, no matter what it is, compared to squeezing the last 0.1% by buying the "best" equipment.

The same is true in almost all competitive esports: when I played competitive TF2, there were professionals playing with mouse acceleration on, with mice with sensors which people called "unplayable" or "uncompetitive", with all kinds of weird settings and hardware. Ultimately, if you know your hardware and how to use it, no matter what it is, that's what really matters. Getting a DD wheel won't turn you into a god, and driving on a DFGT wheel won't limit you in 99% of circumstances either. It's all just about what you enjoy and what's within your budget :)

Last edited:
my thinking is the more I can do, the more I can practice.
And try not to quit if you have a bad spell.... I find others tend to have their own little moments, so it's surprising how often you end up battling with people later on, especially if you can calm down and get into a nice rhythm. I have only quit one race when I picked the wrong car (that was way beyond my skill level) and I didn't realise I could just reconnect and select the correct one. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of 'incident' free races I have had.... there is usually a spin when I start to get a bit 'cocky'

Last edited:
Getting a DD wheel won't turn you into a god, and driving on a DFGT wheel won't limit you in 99% of circumstances either. It's all just about what you enjoy and what's within your budget :)

Good to know. I assumed much of the attraction with top level kit is just because it feels nicer. I'd love a proper sim rig but the G29 is great for the money. Shame it's not a viable excuse though ;)

And try not to quit if you have a bad spell...

So true. It's so easy to make mistakes and believe you're the only one making mistakes, especially when you're 15 seconds behind and can't see anyone. Before long, if you stay consistent, the person you're chasing is only 12 seconds ahead or better still, in the tyre wall because of their own mistake haha :)

Edit: one question for the front runners here. How far off the pace of the elite (real world and sim world) do you think you guys are in both quali terms and race pace?

Last edited:
Edit: one question for the front runners here. How far off the pace of the elite (real world and sim world) do you think you guys are in both quali terms and race pace?
Interesting question. My son Enzo used to race in these events, mostly in the Lambo and he was one of the front runners. Nowadays he doing endurance races in rFactor2 together with Lamborghini factory driver Dennis Lind (nephew of Kevin Magnusson) and a third driver. In real life Lind was participating this year in the GT World Challenge with the Huracan and was there one of the fastest drivers.
Enzo is less than 0.5s slower than Lind on a normal track but makes less mistakes.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]

I was amazed when looking at Bathurst and found this
I am pretty sure this is real.
1.59.3 in an R8 GT3 very close to what is achievable in AC

[/QUOTE]
I want his setup!!!!

it's surprising how often you end up battling with people later on
or better still, in the tyre wall because of their own mistake haha

Case in point; myself in the last five minutes. Spun on the start/finish straight which destroyed my tires and led to further spins. My comfortable and quickening pace all but disappeared thanks to impatience (lead :barefoot: ) and frustration.

As for equipment: I raced with a cheap DFGT until last year, and then switched to a T300

Good to know and solidifies for me that it really is, like anything else, all about practice. Which wheel do you use, if you don't mind, Chris? I'm looking at the "open wheel" add-on and would appreciate your opinion if this is the style you use.

Good to know and solidifies for me that it really is, like anything else, all about practice. Which wheel do you use, if you don't mind, Chris? I'm looking at the "open wheel" add-on and would appreciate your opinion if this is the style you use.

I use the stock wheel and pedals. A slightly outdated photo here:

Wow, what a last lap! I watched George's replay today.
I didn't realize how many cars where bunched up when George passed me to take 10th.

My strategy did me in. I decide to try mediums for the whole race with just a splash of fuel. Not a great way to finish. Oh well live and learn.

Thanks very much to all of you for the fine competition and Chris for being a great host. I started with you guys in the summer and have learned and loved every minute of it. The drivers from top to bottom really care about each other.

In other groups I am sure these would be protests over some driving incidents that happen during a race. Everyone in this group understands we all make mistakes and are ready to forgive.

For those that are just starting, keep with it. With practice comes consistency. One thing I decided was to stick to one car for races. I do practice in the other cars, but find I know the Z4 best and can be most consistent in a race.

WAAAAA, what am I gonna do for the next 2 weeks?

Happy holidays, see you in my mirrors next year. ;)

Simresults: https://simresults.net/201213-n0D

First of all I just want to say, again, how wonderful it's been racing with all you folks this year. I know for many of us, being trapped inside can really drive one insane, and having these events with all of you has been one of the things that has kept me sane (and helped me know what day of the week it is!). It's been amazing battling with you, watching people improve race by race, and see the banter and help everyone provides to each other -- it's really what keeps me at RD and it's fantastic to see it thrive when it's needed most. Wish you all a very merry Christmas/Hannukah and a happy new year :thumbsup:

As for the race, congrats to @pattikins and @640er on the podium! Looks like you folks had some good battles, and the first stint was as tight as I ever remember! A great way to see out the year. In terms of strategy, I went different than everyone else at the front and went on the mediums with 50% fuel, so I was a bit worried to see the soft army coming for me from behind. Thankfully the pace was there, and while the the end was pretty sketchy (with a few near death experiences in the long right hander...) I survived mostly intact.

I also want to give a special shout out to everyone who responded to a blue flag in this race: there are so many leagues and clubs where one could never run this track with these cars, because people couldn't be trusted to do this sensibly. I'm seriously impressed at how few incidents there were this race and how polite and considerate everyone was with each other. Top stuff! :thumbsup:

There is really no better send off for this year and what this club means than having a track that can jam together all of your mates in the same field of vision as one comes over the hill. Really looking forward to racing with you all again starting January 3rd :inlove:
Oh man ... 2 weeks without races on Sunday?
Too bad I've missed this, but i've had another 90min multi-class race in ACC and I wasn't able to do another 60 min.
Thank you @Chris Down for putting al those races and keeping AC alive and helping all of us with lots of info at every question we have.

And thank you to all the drivers that make great and clean racing and that makes me better in the long run. Hope I've helped you also.

P.S. 2 weeks, eh? I hope I can install my new TS-PC 488 Ed and the T-LCM until then, just to be ready for the new "season".

[/QUOTE]

Out of interest..
I looked at Chris’s replay at Bathurst, just for a starters the Audi on the first long straight
Speed Audi end of straight = 165mph
650 S = 155mph
I won’t waffle on but on every straight there was 4 or 6 mph end speed advantage in the real world Audi compared to the Sim.

As talented as these drivers are, both in the sim world and real world I am pretty sure that there is no “direct” comparison from Sim time to real world time on a randomly selected circuit and car.

you can search for James Baldwin. He won a simracing competition and then got sign up by Jenson's Button team in the British World GT and he actually won (with his co-driver) the first race he went in :)) They finished 3 or 4th at the end of the season, but still, quite good.

May 2018: My first race at RD. You can really see how ragged my racecraft is, I'm way overdriving the car. I learned that the skill ceiling for AC was higher than I anticipated and that I need more practice.
Chris is behind Tariq and Axel? :confused: :confused: What world is that? Planet :alien:? :roflmao:

@G-Slev and @boomRoasted
I am not the fastest here, but I did progress a lot in the last year. Some time ago I've written some tips for what I've learned during my 1y and 3months I've spent in simracing (now I have almost 2y - minus 2weeks; cannot believe it :confused:).
here is the link:

What I would add to what I've written there is:
15. Learn to brake without ABS. This year I've done around 10 000 with BMW GT2 that has no ABS and when I've come back to GT3's I was around 1s faster. Also, braking without ABS helps with trail-braking.

14. I would say that AI racing applies more to ACC. The AI is quite good there, and you can learn to follow and pass cars, and also be safer while doing so. Put the AI to a lower level than you, aggression to 40, start around 14th out of 20 cars, and get into 20min races, trying to pass the AI. Try some circuits with long straights like Monza or Silverstone. This will get your Safty rating up also if you follow bellow 0.3s or if you are in parallel with other cars.

Don't do all the tips at once. Focus on 1-2 at most in the beginning.

P.S. I was reading again what I've written 9months ago, and I am glad to say that 3.1 does not apply to me now. I am focusing more on the long runs, on getting that consistency than the fastest lap. And more often than none, after a 30min stint where I just focused on getting the same time again and again, when i start with fresh tyres, even if I have a lot more fuel, I get my personal best from that session/day :)

Last edited:
Wow, what a last lap! I watched George's replay today.
I didn't realize how many cars where bunched up when George passed me to take 10th.

My strategy did me in. I decide to try mediums for the whole race with just a splash of fuel. Not a great way to finish. Oh well live and learn.

Thanks very much to all of you for the fine competition and Chris for being a great host. I started with you guys in the summer and have learned and loved every minute of it. The drivers from top to bottom really care about each other.

In other groups I am sure these would be protests over some driving incidents that happen during a race. Everyone in this group understands we all make mistakes and are ready to forgive.

For those that are just starting, keep with it. With practice comes consistency. One thing I decided was to stick to one car for races. I do practice in the other cars, but find I know the Z4 best and can be most consistent in a race.

WAAAAA, what am I gonna do for the next 2 weeks?

Happy holidays, see you in my mirrors next year. ;)

I know Patrick it was an exciting end, you drove very well by the way and was easy to go door to door with you without incident, great stuff :thumbsup:

Oh man ... 2 weeks without races on Sunday?
Too bad I've missed this, but i've had another 90min multi-class race in ACC and I wasn't able to do another 60 min.
Thank you @Chris Down for putting al those races and keeping AC alive and helping all of us with lots of info at every question we have.

And thank you to all the drivers that make great and clean racing and that makes me better in the long run. Hope I've helped you also.

P.S. 2 weeks, eh? I hope I can install my new TS-PC 488 Ed and the T-LCM until then, just to be ready for the new "season".
Nice upgrades Rares, enjoy

Good question!
  1. A track you know very well: probably 45 minutes to an hour prior to qualifying. Maybe 1h30 if I don't know the car well.
  2. A track you're seeing for the first time: 1h30 minimum, more is better.
As an example, yesterday I practiced GT3 for the first time on this track from 7:10pm, qualifying at 8:20pm, race at 8:40pm. I used my setup from Bahrain, didn't spend any time tuning it since I was time limited, I think I only adjusted the gear ratios since it's a lot shorter.

As for the track, I vaguely remember the track from a couple of years ago when we raced here once in the JDM cars, but knew it was simple, so it shouldn't take too long to learn. For a longer/more complex track (like Croft, for example), I'd have almost certainly taken the 2 hours.

As for equipment: I raced with a cheap DFGT until last year, and then switched to a T300 just because the FFB was starting to wear out. Personally I don't feel equipment makes that much difference, you can gain >10% by becoming more comfortable with your equipment, no matter what it is, compared to squeezing the last 0.1% by buying the "best" equipment.

The same is true in almost all competitive esports: when I played competitive TF2, there were professionals playing with mouse acceleration on, with mice with sensors which people called "unplayable" or "uncompetitive", with all kinds of weird settings and hardware. Ultimately, if you know your hardware and how to use it, no matter what it is, that's what really matters. Getting a DD wheel won't turn you into a god, and driving on a DFGT wheel won't limit you in 99% of circumstances either. It's all just about what you enjoy and what's within your budget :)

I have to say though that since upgrading to my CSW 2.5, I can work out what the car is doing far better than I ever could with my G29. I can feel the car breaking away from me or going into understeer, and as a result I feel much more in control and able to deal with any mishaps than I ever did with my G29. I completely agree that equipment is not a magic bullet, but I do think the right equipment for you as a racer helps you to read what the car is doing and work out how to deal with it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back