AC GT3 @ Barbagallo - Sunday 13th December 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
hi all ,

thank you to Chris for this great driving moment. I had a lot of fun fighting with this excellent pilot in the person of Brian Walsh, it was wonderful. I hope there will be more. big friendship of Martinique. See you soon .

Blimey! You're in a DOMTOM?

I still think I am so slow as to be I. The way. I qualified on a 56 which is the fastest time I managed around there. I had bouts of consistency, but by the time I got to 30 minutes, I had already been lapped about 4 times.

I think I am too far from the average in these races. It's quite lonely when your only contact with other cars is being lapped.

I've been simracing seriously for 18 months and I don't feel I have progressed that far. It's a shame RD don't offer a course of some sort for new premium members - you might more people signing up, particularly if you run newbie races.

I'm yet to find a league where I am actually competitive enough to do some actual racing. I just seem to be perennially at the back, miles behind everyone. I often find it more enjoyable racing the AI - they are about my level.

I read this a lot, your not slow, certainly not anywhere as bad as you think,
by any stretch of the imagination @G-Slev
Your a very competent driver, you are surrounded by faster drivers, that’s all, so it makes you think that way, that makes you push past your ( at this moment in time ) limit, causing errors.
A 56 is a good time. An excellent building block.
Chris and other aliens turn up in these races and makes us all appear incompetent. If you read some articles from Chris, he indicates that he was not quick, he has learnt how to extract the maximum speed from the car, that’s all.
You will get better and faster, it is these event that do it, you just have to plug away , leaning as you go.
Like you I had spent 2 years doing off line racing against AI before joining Racedepartment,
When I started my first online race at Silverstone, I was 5 seconds of the fastest driver, could not believe how fast they were, but I knew I was competent, so I built on that. :)

PS 1
I learn so much from all the people I race with each week, and have been actually helped by so many-people too.

PS 2
I am at the stage now we’re I know why people are quicker than I, So I just accept it, and stick to what I am competent at. You never know, the how may click in my head, and I will gain more speed.:roflmao::roflmao:

It's a shame RD don't offer a course of some sort for new premium members
They did have one earlier in the year. https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/premium-driver-academy-events-merged.90863/page-90

I also seem to recall some events aimed specifically for beginners as I was looking for a similar reason as you, but I am not able to find them again.

I'm also not quick, but I tend to play with the Wednesday night crowd as Sunday is a bit tricky due to family. I have been racing now for just over 12 months, with a fair chunk of that on the PS4/GT:S before I switched to PC and like @Kek700 I found myself 5-6 seconds off the pace. With practice I have been making slow progress and if I can get within 3-4% of the front time I'm usually happy. Like yourself I have had a few lonely races, but I have also had quite a few fun ones where things have been pretty close between myself and a couple of other drivers.

Right lads, so from me I can say it's been an absolute pleasure to race with you all this year. I joined in late March having never taken part in a sim race, and I have enjoyed being a part of this community at every step of the way. We may have lost a few people after the summer (perhaps the sim racing craze of the first wave of Covid restrictions died down), but the racing is as good as ever. Thank you Chris for making this possible, and thank you guys for always offering clean racing and quality banter.

Happy holidays everyone, and I hope to see you all next year...

...oh yeah, wait, the race. Had to dodge a spin ahead early on and got overtaken by Han, and we battled for a good 15 laps or so until he similarly got blocked by a spinning car. From then on, it was mostly smooth sailing to the end, keeping an eye on Ernie behind with the gap disappearing little by little. Lots of lapping but everyone was really great.

Tyres were really toasty, I did 35 laps on my first stint and the rear left was in the low 40s if I remember correctly. This really was a track that baited you into sliding the rear, and once you did the extra heat would only make it worse; I'm really glad I managed to have zero incidents or spins, even though I didn't manage to finish on the lead lap or to stay with the 2-3-4s. Congrats Chris, Patrick, Andreas (I love when I saw you on the practice server and went, "That's a weird looking Lambo") and especially Thomas, we miss you down here among the non-aliens :p

Oh and this track was amazing, by my count I did about 125 laps yesterday, and not once I took the Parabolican't (penultimate corner) in the same way :roflmao:

(Btw: the lapping divebomb-bait was at 35:00 in Chris's POV. Do as I say, not as I do.)

I still think I am so slow as to be I. The way. I qualified on a 56 which is the fastest time I managed around there. I had bouts of consistency, but by the time I got to 30 minutes, I had already been lapped about 4 times.

I think I am too far from the average in these races. It's quite lonely when your only contact with other cars is being lapped.

I've been simracing seriously for 18 months and I don't feel I have progressed that far. It's a shame RD don't offer a course of some sort for new premium members - you might more people signing up, particularly if you run newbie races.

I'm yet to find a league where I am actually competitive enough to do some actual racing. I just seem to be perennially at the back, miles behind everyone. I often find it more enjoyable racing the AI - they are about my level.
@G-Slev I can confirm everything that is said above. From what I saw, you're a good starter at RD races, better than I was at my debut.
So don't be discouraged. This was the shortest track we have raced on and very tricky too. Please join us at least a couple of races in the new year and see for yourself. We can also help you with some setup improvements.

We have also races on Wednesday with slower but sometimes more difficult cars on exotic tracks. They are great fun and can help you to get better.

I'm yet to find a league where I am actually competitive enough to do some actual racing
Have you considered also trying something that implements an Elo or similar rating? I used to enjoy banging doors in GT:S and occasionally dabble in the PC 'money pit' equivalent if I get some unexpected spare time. It's not very personal, which is why I prefer racing here, but it all goes towards practicing race craft.

We have also races on Wednesday with slower but sometimes more difficult cars on exotic tracks. They are great fun and can help you to get better.
The other thing about the Wednesday night ones is that the combo can sometimes be unusual enough that it levels the playing field a little more. A while back I had a great race in the Skoda at some unknown (to me) track, that for some reason went click

you might more people signing up, particularly if you run newbie races.
Found this on s.gp: https://beta.simracing.gp/communities/VVyq-AUsfsLZ8yExCO-S9#events

1607950236713.png

An ACC community designed for rookies up to mid pack runners
Oddly, all the AC events are on the same day, so I'm not sure if it's a mistake... might try and check one out tomorrow. Unfortunately for me they seem to mostly do ACC and my rig just isn't quite up to it.

Anyway, I need to get back to work now! ;)

Just wanted to say thanks to @Chris Down for organising these races all throughout 2020. It is always something that I like so many other look forward to every Sunday evening. The competition, friendship, realism and respect in the group is amazing and I look forward to 2021. (hopefully it brings me more consistency and more time to practice ;))

Also a massive thanks to @Medilloni and @Denis Betty for all of their hard work too.

In relation to the race I was unwell this week and didn't do a single lap practice, but as It was the last race I just couldn't sign out! I decided 10 seconds before the race that I would run mediums having not done a single lap on them. That was a mistake as my pressures were all over the place.

Happy Christmas to all my fellow drivers :thumbsup:

Anyway here is the comical replay :whistling:

Last edited:
To this great community:
I have a question regarding the flags (yellow and sometimes blue) that appear in the left upper corner of the screen. Since a couple of months I don't see them anymore (crew chief warnes me so not a big problem) but is this an option somewhere in the game settings? If so, where can I find this?

To this great community:
I have a question regarding the flags (yellow and sometimes blue) that appear in the left upper corner of the screen. Since a couple of months I don't see them anymore (crew chief warnes me so not a big problem) but is this an option somewhere in the game settings? If so, where can I find this?

If you have CSP, then the "hide system messages" in the GUI tab might do that, so you may want to see if you have that checked. I can't think of a flag-specific option elsewhere in the settings, and I don't think vanilla AC lets you hide flags (much like the penalty notification).

Gary, I can really relate to what you're saying and after a couple of spins found myself feeling disappointed with my own performance and feeling much less positive about racing. I'm still quite new to "serious" racing so must say still really enjoyed the feeling of competing and the pressure of the event but it's hard not to be disappointed in yourself binning it! I try to focus on the positives and ultimately in the position we're in, bringing up the rear, we have to learn to enjoy the fight regardless of position. In fact, i dare say that's true whatever your position. For the likes of Chris at the front, i imagine he's disappointed if he's not in the top 3, dare I say it, if he doesn't win. It's the nature of competition.

Looking at the race results I can see you retired on lap 22. I think you probably need to focus on consistency and simply completing the race. If you'd lapped 57s straight yesterday I imagine you'd have been mixing it with me and possibly a couple of others. You're obviously capable of that.

There's so much to sim racing and so much to improve on, and that's what makes it enjoyable, the challenge. Racecraft, composure under pressure, consistency (surely the biggest one!), strategy, car setup, rig setup. Just reading some of the comments on here from people talking about tyre wear, tyre pressures, strategies etc shows how far ahead some of the guys are over us, but that's what is great for us, we can learn from them.

I hope we see you back in the the new year fighting tooth and nail for "not last"! :D

Just to add to what @doof205 Lewis said, try & hit your apexes (I don't always succeed...). If you do it right, your times will fall.
Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2020.12.14 - 13.18.36.32.jpg

p.s. if your in need of a decent set up google 'assetto corsa mclaren 650s gt3 setup bathurst' posted by John.

Last edited:
Gary, I can really relate to what you're saying and after a couple of spins found myself feeling disappointed with my own performance and feeling much less positive about racing. I'm still quite new to "serious" racing so must say still really enjoyed the feeling of competing and the pressure of the event but it's hard not to be disappointed in yourself binning it! I try to focus on the positives and ultimately in the position we're in, bringing up the rear, we have to learn to enjoy the fight regardless of position. In fact, i dare say that's true whatever your position. For the likes of Chris at the front, i imagine he's disappointed if he's not in the top 3, dare I say it, if he doesn't win. It's the nature of competition.

(Warning: this is a long advice post :) -- tl;dr: "aliens" weren't always aliens)

Hah, you folks should have seen my frustration after 2nd at Donington :roflmao::coffee: Competition is all relative to your own current ability. If I feel I just wasn't good enough to win, that's fine. What really frustrates me is when I feel I was good enough, but simply messed it up with a stupid (or multiple...) mistakes. If you're anything like that, the first thing to work on to improve your morale is your consistency, not your race pace.

I used to be right at the back in my early days sim racing -- I still remember being always at the back and honestly having no idea how others were able to go so fast. The truth is there's no secret, it's just the culmination of slowly realising the places you aren't extracting the most out of the car and ironing them out, one by one. That requires sticking with the car, the sim, and the practice until you've got it.

My sim racing career looks like this -- hopefully it helps newer racers understand why it's not reasonable to compare yourself yet to so-called "aliens" until you've had more time :)
  • Early 2011-2012: Public racer in Live for Speed. I started off right at the back of the field and worked until I was pretty close to the front in leagues.
  • 2012-2013: VIER eSports driver (also Live for Speed). Spent a lot of time in the nimble FOX formula car.
  • 2013: Moved to Malaysia for work and sold my wheel/etc.
  • 2013-2017: I wasn't sim racing.
  • Late 2017: Started doing public racing in AC.
  • May 2018: My first race at RD. You can really see how ragged my racecraft is, I'm way overdriving the car. I learned that the skill ceiling for AC was higher than I anticipated and that I need more practice.
  • July 2018: My first win at RD, and it was a lucky one (Aki got spun around in 2nd). So even going from "ok, but not great" to "can win with some luck" took me three months.
  • Mid-2019: This is probably the point where I started consistently winning races at RD and elsewhere.
There's so many aspects to learn, and at least for me, it took me maybe a year to go from "bad" to "pretty good", and several more to go from "pretty good" to being good enough to get people inflating my ego by calling me an alien. ;)

If you just came here it might be shocking to realise that some people can go that quickly in the car, but you've got to also realise that those people have maybe several years more experience, and you can get there too by putting the time in. We've seen it time and time again at RD, there are plenty of people at the front who weren't there at the beginning.

My top tips from looking at your replay would be to use more of the track, try to be less (yes, less!) smooth with your inputs, and focus purely on consistency over pace.

Last edited:
This is all typical support from this great community @G-Slev !

I may be the newest "regular" to the group and, like you, my first race was at a pretty tricky circuit (Imola). This was a little over a month ago and I've vastly improved in all aspects of my racing. The words of the other members here are spot on and Chris's post is a great "reality check." We've all been at the back and as competitive as these races can be it's all for fun *Ahem* bragging rights ;) . I have little more to add to the already great support from the others but I urge you to keep with it and join us at the next one! :D

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • More leagues

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 4 7.0%