Kimmo Kokkonen, which car did you drive?
The demo starts by default with the 65 Lotus of the 65 mod which has less power.
The physics of the 67 Lotus and 67 Brabham are still the original ones of 1998.
I persume your skills have improved over the years. :)

BrunoB, the GPL code was never offered to the GPL mod guys by Papyrus (at least I have never heard of it). If this would be the case all modding works would have been much easier. ;)
And there is a 67 mod available that changes the physics of the original 67 F1 cars. But it is not included in this demo.
Edit: It's the 67 Historical Mod:

Kimmo Kokkonen, which car did you drive?
The demo starts by default with the 65 Lotus of the 65 mod which has less power.
The physics of the 67 Lotus and 67 Brabham are still the original ones of 1998.
I persume your skills have improved over the years. :)
Now both 65 and 67 tested, 65 is too easy for me but 67 is still challenging enough to drive super fast laps, I like it. But the grip is different between this and original GPL, reason why I don't know but now it is good and maybe more realistic than original, original was a pure nightmare and took weeks to learn it :)

@Paul Jeffrey you could have put that statement, found in the final though of their own demo 2020 description text, in your piece of news. It sets the mind frame behind this particular game.

"Grand Prix Legends isn`t for everyone, but the same adage is true for many of the finer things in life. Provided you`ve got the patience to stay with it past the first feelings of frustration, Grand Prix Legends will reward you with one of the most intense racing experience you can find on a personal computer "

To that I would only add that in 1998 a majority played this on mouse and keyboard back in the days, so yes it takes a special breed. Respect!

BrunoB, the GPL code was never offered to the GPL mod guys by Papyrus (at least I have never heard of it). If this would be the case all modding works would have been much easier. ;)
Sorry - but I have seen so many times that these GPL modding guys have access to the GPL source code.
And sometimes I have also seen it mentioned that to the contrary of iRacings property the holy NR2003 code the GPL code was somewhat made public("open source").
And on the background of all the lawsuits Kaemmer/iRacing opened against any messing with the NR2003 code - I concluded that the only way these GPL modding guys could get hand on the GPL code was if Papyrus had offered it to them for free.:)

But its my own conclusion. :sleep:
And I have not made any serious research to back it up.
But I think the story sounds nice.:p
But OK maybe a lil hippie-ish.:geek::geek::geek:

Is the physic also updated? Or is 22 years old?
(no joke. it's a real question)

I don't have it yet, so can not comment. But I can surely tell that physics doesn't age. If they got something right - they got it forever. The question is how much they advanced to make car behave the way they bahave, how much of stuff is simulated, and how much of it is approximated and simplified, how many features are not simulated comparing to anything that isn't 22 years old.

I don't have it yet, so can not comment. But I can surely tell that physics doesn't age. If they got something right - they got it forever. The question is how much they advanced to make car behave the way they bahave, how much of stuff is simulated, and how much of it is approximated and simplified, how many features are not simulated comparing to anything that isn't 22 years old.

Yes, I mean: the math behind the GPL's physic had to be near to the computational age of that period.

Shinier and higher rez isn't always best, immersion is still king and GPL delivers that in wholesale amounts. GPL was and still is heartstopping fun and I pity those who have to have all the tech to get into their simming.

The guys who have dedicated themselves to this title are the real deal champions of the simming community.

Yes, no progress in 20 years, still the best. They got it so right then and it has been downhill from there. One short drive will demonstrate that so clearly. It ain't real if it ain't hard, yep.

I don't remember it quite clearly, but aren't you a Project Cars type of stuff fan ?

Whats hard is very subtle, and you can not describe things this way. I don't know how difficult the GPL essentially is, but I am sure that even though I agree that car shouldn't be hell to drive, but it should demand quite a lot of concentration to perform on the level, if you can do silly stuff with car without any respect and concentration then something is not right. But for some reason people believe that even if they totaly rape the car and the tires, there should still be a pillow for them to land on and recover smoothly. It just doesn't work like that. You do mistake, you pay for it. Or you better have good skills, and then perhaps it won't be that hard to do top driving performance.

I can observe through the videos, that cars are sharp in that game. They are fast to fall into slide, and fast to come back from it. That, and especially the come back phase is the key. That will cause a dislike among less skilled less prone to challenge simacers. The need to be faster and more precise to straighten out the car smoothly in some situations can and should be quite demanding, but good drivers should be able to keep things in managable shape.

Last edited:

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 15 30.0%