Cars Fordmans Revival

Status
Not open for further replies.
This community.....
You guys will download a skin without giving two cares that it has multiple copyright violations; you guys will pay for cars that the modders don't have licensing permissions to sell; you guys will download a track without one thought of all the copyrights and licenses that are simply being ignored. But show a screen of a car that 'might' be from another game and all hell break loose.

No reason to justify rips. Even when you believe ripping is the same as replicating, rips are simply not allowed on RD.

IMO there is a big difference in ripping a model to replicating something that exists IRL.

The latter I consider akin to a painting or a sculpture; Its essentially 'in the style of', where you aim to replicate using your own means. Emphasis on the last part; its all made by you, you use your own skill to create something from nothing, even if the end goal is to look like someone else's.

Ripping a model is very different indeed. In this case you are taking someone else's work directly without permission. Its not particularly skilful, nor IMO is it particularly respectful to other modellers (looking at you, Codie's...)

Now sure, I believe Shaun wasn't aware this was the case, but I don't really understand how you would get to this stage (having the model in your hands) and not have done any sort of research of the origins of your assets (before posting a screen at least).

And I'm not saying 'don't rip' - I've seen plenty of examples of people ripping content simply to learn, to understand how things are made. Think of it like taking apart something with a 'warranty void' sticker on it just to see how it works. Those people then go on, using that knowledge gained to create something equally as good from scratch.

Had Shaun used that model as reference, along with photos, videos and whatever else you can get your hands on as a guide for creating something even better, I'd be all for it.

But don't take someone else's work and pass it off as your own - not cool by any stretch.

*raises hand*
Well I guess only because not even Forza has ever thought about a lawnmover for their games :p

IMHO it's ok to show this teaser pic but everything else should happen elsewhere. I'd prefer a personal website like the Super GT guys did with their R-34 Skyline that was ripped from Forza 4.

Just a quick addition; should someone ever hand me a model plucked out of thin air and said "take it, its all yours" - I would sure as hell be asking, "Where did this come from?", "Did you make this?" etc etc. Due diligence, its really simple. I'd recommend it.

lol @PartyPePe , care to elaborate? :roflmao:

upload_2018-7-9_11-8-42.png

This one in particular tickled me - know something I don't?
upload_2018-7-9_11-9-19.png

I'm sure a lot of people have personal projects like that. I know aphidgod has a ton of cars on his HD that have ripped bodies but exquisite physics, but because they are rips they never go any further than his PC.

I have a BAC Mono that I spent months researching, making, testing, but the model is from pCars so it sits on my PC being used by only me.

I doubt anyone would judge anyone for using a ripped model to learn, or for personal fun. The difference is when someone then turns that ripped model into a shareable project - a product for the community. A means to garner praise...

Putting pcars models into assetto corsa is finally letting those poor models experience life in a real sim instead of letting them waste away!!
Wish someone would rip the W194!!

Putting pcars models into assetto corsa is finally letting those poor models experience life in a real sim instead of letting them waste away!!
Wish someone would rip the W194!!
What I don't get is PC has the "official licence" from Ginetta, so they have all the info they could dream off, but they are old models, the handle like crap, but yet an indi like me can talk to teams, and bring them to life?

PC and their Ginetta's are way way off the mark, and I can quote this due to real drivers testing my versions

Shaun

What I don't get is PC has the "official licence" from Ginetta, so they have all the info they could dream off, but they are old models, the handle like crap, but yet an indi like me can talk to teams, and bring them to life?
Yeah, because an Indie like you has all the time in the wolrd to talk to the teams and drivers. Think about how many hours you spent on your Ginetta for example, and how long it took from your first concept to the finished polished product. Then try to do that for more than a hundred cars in a limited timespan, which you have to QA because you are selling them :)

That's not a critizism by the way :)

Regardless, its still a person or at most a few people (not a large company) who created that model.
The whole idea that its fine to rip a model from a company because they are money grabbing etc or that they don't put enough due care into each model is nonsense.

Rip a model, 'breath new life into a model', call it what you will, its still disrespectful to all modellers out there who put the hard work in the first place.
No one wants to see their work used without permission, and just because their faces are hidden behind the 'evil' 'Project Cars' name, doesn't mean they are any different from us.

Regardless, its still a person or at most a few people (not a large company) who created that model.
The whole idea that its fine to rip a model from a company because they are money grabbing etc or that they don't put enough due care into each model is nonsense.

Rip a model, 'breath new life into a model', call it what you will, its still disrespectful to all modellers out there who put the hard work in the first place.
No one wants to see their work used without permission, and just because their faces are hidden behind the 'evil' 'Project Cars' name, doesn't mean they are any different from us.
I wasn't talking about the "ripped" model, I was talking in General and using my Ginetta Supercup as an example, which you know is not ripped.

Shaun

Yeah, because an Indie like you has all the time in the wolrd to talk to the teams and drivers. Think about how many hours you spent on your Ginetta for example, and how long it took from your first concept to the finished polished product. Then try to do that for more than a hundred cars in a limited timespan, which you have to QA because you are selling them :)

That's not a critizism by the way :)
But, if I had access to everything that PC had, the Ginetta Supercup would of taken me half the time, and a lot less petrol :laugh:

That is what I was trying to say, yes they have "lots" of cars to produce, but then again, it's the same old cliche, quantity over quality, a half assed attempt at everything and not a full assed attempt at anything (just commenting on the Ginetta here)

The same could be said about Kunos cars... and let's not forget that having a license doesn't guarantee you anything besides use of the car's branding/image. I can speak from experience that you may actually get no data at all with a license. That said, Ginetta's a pretty small company, so they probably offered data...with enough data, the physics model only really takes a week or two of decent work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back